Samuel Adams Honey Porter - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Honey PorterSamuel Adams Honey Porter

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Porter |  5.45% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Honey Porter Alström Bros
4.27/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured out of the bottle with a wonderful head, trailing up as good as any other porter I've seen. It has a really interesting dark color, with a nice light, caramel overtone, making it a bit lighter than other porters. Wonderful smell, coffee-like with a hint of sweetness, although it seemed more like a sugar than a honey sweetness. It's taste erased any worries on that issue, though. Wonderful porter taste, dark, thick, and coffee-like, with a hint of chocolate and caramel, along with a nice sweet, honey-like aftertaste. Goes down fairly smooth.

4.27/5  rDev +15.7%

Brown bottle poured into pint glass. The color was very dark brown with some red coming through. The pour produced a perfect 1" head that lasted long but eventually settled down to a 1/4" frothy cap.

The aroma was of sugary sweetness with some malt lingering in the background.

The taste was excellent. For me, a dead-on Porter. Nice and rich with balanced sweetness. The malt taste comes through nicely. Hints of caramel and honey.

Mouthfeel was also spot on for the style. Good carbonation on the light side... very little bite. Nice and rich.

Drinkability is great. I could enjoy this all day. Highly recommended.

4.27/5  rDev +15.7%

A - Dark maroon color. A ivory white head that stuck around for a while. Overall nice appearance

S - Honey and floral hops. Nice smell

T - First taste is the sweet honey but it's not overwhelming which would make this beer sweet. The honey stuck on throughout the entire taste. The hops did not come on till later. A verywell balanced beer. The honey excellently compliments that hoppy and malty porter taste. Overall a sweet but not too sweet beer.

M - Nice, slightly creamy mouthfeel. Note much carbonation but that was a good thing

D - I had a few of these but that's all I could have. You start to get sick of the honey after awhile

4.26/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle, dated best before jun 2008.

Appearance: Deep deep brown in color with a small head dissipates into a nice top. Great porter look

Smell: faint sweetness, mostly roasted malt. Maybe a subtle earthy hop aroma as well

Taste: Smooth as butter, roasted malt with honey butter that is. Initially light and crisp, in comes through with more toasted presence but never too heavy. Lingers with a slight hope bite, more like a pinch.

One of my favorite Sam Adams, and one of my favorite porters so far. Definitly want to try another brewery's take on a honey porter as well as attempt my own homebrewing.

At the least, just another reason why the Sam mix 12 pack is so great.

4.26/5  rDev +15.4%

I have recently went from having no porter beer experiences to the point where I am now indulging in this unique style of joy. A new world has made itself known to me, and I, being the explorer that I am, jumped into this new world with both feet and untethered.

Case in point: Samuel Adams Honey Porter. YUM!

Look: Inviting deep chocolate appearance, which was surprisingly transparent (I saw my fingers through the glass), and it possessed a beautifully sustained, light-brown or tan head and an intricate lacing that forms concentric foam rings as on the walls of the glass as the beer recedes. Terrific!

Nose: Lightly nutty and hoppy aroma sweetened nicely with a hint of honey scent.

Taste: Fully-loaded hops with the light taste of coffee that is, perhaps, softened by the sucrose in the honey. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this beer was very low in bitterness. An added plus.

Mouth: Creamy mouthfeel.

Drink: Above-average drinkability, but with a slight aftertaste, which was the reason for the one-point deduction.

But overall, a nice beverage.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

This is a great beer from the brewmaster sampler pack.
Appearance is great with a nice thick head, and some good lacing.
Smells delicious, dry malt with a nice sweet honey flavor. No real hops to speak of.
Taste is a bit lighter than the smell but good. The hops come through more and the honey is not as noticable. Mouthfeel is good, a bit lighter than I like in a porter.
Drinkability is great

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

12 oz from mixed pack dated Dec 07.

Petite tan head with great staying power on top of a near-black body, yum yum. I'm further impressed with the curtains of foam that hug the glass like a good belgian before fading.

Smells of sweet minty milk, with a bit of burnt chocolate. The hops account for the mint and have a spicy herbal note as well.

One taste and I know this is right up my alley [disclaimer: I'm friends with many a sweet beer]. Gentle, approachable, sweetish dark chocolate with some bitterness and a strong hops finish. Very rich and creamy, the honey and the hops unite with great results and the malt (not very roasted / burnt for the style) keeps it grounded. A slight grassiness lurking about stops this brew from being perfect. Hops become more dominant as it warms.

Mouthfeel is very creamy. Very low carbonation, just some slight tickling and then it's dead. Builds on the sweet milkiness.

I usually think "burnt" or "coffee" when it comes to porters... this mixes hops and honey on the porter canvas. A hit.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

Picked this 12oz bottle up as part of a "Brewmaster's Collection".

I've tried various 'Porter' brews in the past, and havent been overly impressed. But i figured i'd revisit the style, as by beer tasting experience has expanded greatly since then. I'm glad i did.

Pours a deep mahoany color. I'm sure if i poured it into the appropriate glass, head retention would be much better, but in my globe glass, the head settles fairly quickly to form a collar around the glass with some foam settled in the center of the glass. Smells absolutely beautiful. Honey and toasted malt flavors are pronounced, but not overpoweringly so. Just the right amount of hop bitterness, and honey taste to complement it. Slight drying mouthfell, but nothing that would deserve any lower of a score in that department. Very easy to drink, not like any porter i've had in the past. This brew is singlehandedly responsible for removing the words "I hate porters" from my vocabulary. VERY WELL DONE!

4.24/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

First time trying the Honey Porter Brewing and I was pleasantly surprised.
The beer poured a dark-amber with a nice head with an aroma of malt and honey. I liked the initial roasted malt taste with just a hint of honey that adds just the right amount of sweetness.
I would drink this again and its now on my favorites list.
Cost $14.99 for Samuel Smith Brewmasters 12 box.

4.23/5  rDev +14.6%

A - Extremely dark brown bordering on black with lighter brown hues around the edges. I can almost see through it if I hold it really close to my eyes. This brew is topped by a thick and frothy three finger tan head that leaves a lot of lace on the glass as it recedes to a big 1 finger cap. The head shows whipped cream or milkshake like characteristics. This is a pretty beer. indeed.

S - Immediately I notice the "SA" scent that I notice in all of their beers. I'm not sure if this is from the water that they use or what, but I like it (and it gives some continuity and sense of family to all SA brews. That being said, I smell dark chocolate, roasted grains and almonds. I also smell some marshmallow and gentle Honeycomb cereal notes.

T - Clean roasted grains and caramelized sugar. Again marshmallow and honeycomb cereal. Nutty notes remind me of an English brown ale, and I'm glad that the honey flavor is not overdone. This isn't really as unique as I thought it would be. Good balancing hop bitterness. I almost didn't like this at first, but once it warms it's an entirely changed beer. I would let this sit out of the fridge for fifteen minutes or so before you open it.

M - Medium bodied with abundant fine carbonation. Sweetness coats the mouth at first but this slickness is soon overtaken by a slightly dry and nutty finish.

D - Pretty friggin' good. I like this, it's an outstandingly drinkable porter. I pretty much bought the whole 12 pack mixer just to try this beer and I'm not disappointed. I wish that I could get sixers of this stuff!

4.23/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Very dark brown almost black with burnt orange highlights, a finger and a half of cream colored head that tetains very nice with nice lacing to boot.

S: Roasted malts, chocolate, honey and some earthy?metallic notes.

T: Fresh honey, chocolate, raosted malts, mild smokiness, and some earthy hop notes. I like how the bitterness cuts the honey's sweetness and you are left with a wonderful raw honey taste.

M: Very carbinated but clean and dry.

D: This is very quaffable but pushes my limits for a session at 5.45% ABV. It makes a great couple of beers on a weeknight though.

4.23/5  rDev +14.6%

One of the earlier beers that ultimately drove me to BA. Probably closer to ten years ago, I couldn't get enough of this beer. Then it went away. Now it's back. Yay!!

Appearance - pours a dark mahogany with burgundy hues. A nice light mocha cap evens out and bubbles like pancake batter. It sinks back evenly after a minute, leaving arcs of ribboned lace around the glass.

Aroma - I can smell a sweet edge to the malts. They are roasted to a nutty, toasty aroma. Lighter smelling but good.

Taste - dark roasted grain, robust and rich. Definite sweetness up front, a touch of metal as well. Coffee wth sugar. The swallow allows the Goldings to balance out the sweetness. The palate dries and is left with a roasty malt flavor and a trace of lingering hops. The finish is long lasting and tasty. Some emerging alcohol warmth as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel - it's okay. Ample carbonation, medium body and smoothness, nothing out of the ordinary though.

Drinkability - lots of flavor without being too sweet. I find it highly sessionable.

4.23/5  rDev +14.6%

Boy this was some good stuff. My expanding horizons thanks to Beeradvocate have me appreciating and likeing a number of Porters.

This one pours dark brown with amber edging and a thick foamy head, with good stick and moderate lacing.
Smell: Hops hit the nose but are quickly passed by the malts - you notice the honey but some chocolate and toasty malts are there to add complexity and balance.
Smooth full bodied mouthfeel. Burnt malts hit the back of the mouth in the aftertaste.
This is a brew to drink slowly and savor each sip. Not one to reach for on a hot day refresher.
Nice brew all around.

4.23/5  rDev +14.6%

this beer pours a lovely dark brown with a deep ruby tone against light. nice billowy tan head that has staying power.

aroma is mostly toasted malt and a hint of the bitter hop character that awaits.

taste is very pleasant deep-roasted malt with a hint of sweetness from the honey followed by a rather spicy bitter hop presence. delicious!

mouthfeel is a bit thin for my taste but nothing to get upset about.

drinkability is exceptional.

overall, a very enjoyable porter, the honey is a nice touch, hops used to good effect in this one.

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

AP: Very Dark brown, not totally opaque with some red hues when in direct light. A very thick and sticky mocha-tan colored head creates some sticky lacing all around the glass and displays good retention qualities.

Nose: A very aromatic brown-sugar and caramalized malted scent dominates with some roasty and doughy scents underneath. Very nice.

Taste: The taste is much more roasty and smoked flavored malt with some mild honey, nutmeg and brown-sugar sweet qualities that flows through after. It's a nice complex malted flavor that starts out hearty and mellows with a nice sweet after-taste.

MF: This is a full bodied brew with long legs that also feels crisp and lively. Very nice feel overall.

DA: This might be my favorite Sammy.

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

I just tried this one yesterday... freshness date on the bottle said March 2000. It's been sitting in the fridge since Christmas 1999.

Over the years it has become more mellow and the flavors more blended. The smell is very rich of honey, roasted malt, raisins and dates. It used to be more roasted than it is, and it has become similiar to, say, Sammy Smiths Oatmeal stout with the addition of honey. Very delishious and yummy!

4.21/5  rDev +14.1%

A - Very dark brown with an extremely frothy head. Lace hugged the glass beautifully and spider'd its way down the glass.

S - Honey, caramel and chocolate malts. Very slight alcohol.

T - A hit of malts and then hops. That finishes with an afterthought of sweetness from the honey. Bitter aftertastes that lingers somewhat.

M - Medium build that is very smooth and silky on the tongue. Little to no carbonation. Finishes clean

D - Good beer. Could see myself settling down in the winter in front of a fire and enjoying one of these fellas. Definitely pick this up if you see it.

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured dark brown with some reddish hues at the bottom of my pint glass. Nice thick tan head 1 finger thick, but dissipates into patchy head. Leaves a cool layered lacing.

Smell is of roasted malts, sweet caramel/honey, chocolate notes present

Taste the mild roasted malts, hops are present and I would say mild. Smooth taste and I get the sweet honey taste in the back of the palate. I get almost a burnt honey taste as well in the aftertaste

Medium body and I find it smooth and just creamy enough. This would go well with a nice beef meal. This beer would compliment the food very well.

Overall I liked this beer. This was my first American porter and I feel it was a good intro into the porters. I look forward to trying different kinds in the future.

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%

From a Samuel Adams mix pack.

Poured a deep brown with ruby shades when held to the light. A thick chunky head sticks around for a while and leaves a good amount of lacing. This beer looks tasty.

Smells malty, honey, slight english hop presence.

Taste is cocoa, toasted sweet bread, with enough hops to check the sweetness. Overall a sweeter beer, but well balanced. Tasty.

Mouthfeel is spot on medium. Carbonation seems just enough. Drinkability is good. A true sessionable beer with good flavor.

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a deep brown color with ruby tones to it. Very full tan head that settles nicely leaving lace behind.

Smells sweet like honey, go figure. Also of coffee, chocolate and deep roasted malts.

Taste emulates smell. Rich roasted flavor with a pleasant sweetness to it. Dry mildly bitter hop finish. Quite enjoyable.

Medium bodied and full in the mouth with perfect carbonation.

Turns out I really like this beer. Was pleasantly surprised. Not usually a big Sam Adams fan but this has to be one of my favorites by them. Job well done.

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%

I was plesantly surprised by this porter, which was poured from a 12 oz into a pint glass. The bready, biscuity aroma was muted, but good. The beer was a dark brown with mahogany highlights. There was depth of taste with a little bit of honey coupled with the hops. But it finished very smooth with no residual bitterness or sweetness. I could certainly drink a few of these in one sitting.

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%

Samuel Adams Honey Porter from Boston Beer Company pours dark brown to not quite black color. Has a nice tan 2 finger head. Not very much aroma but I can detect a little honey and a nice helping of malt. Lightly sweet on the tongue with a hint of nut and caramel. I can taste the honey here. Finishes with an ever so slight burnt bitter taste(not a bad thing but a good thing). There is a great combination of caramel, coffee, and nuts resting on top of a slightly sweet honey flavor. A well balanced beer and I'm a fan. A very drinkable beer. Brew on, you Patriots, brew on! This beer was purchased right here in the jungle of Central Alabama in a 12 pack Brewmaster Collection.

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%

This is a damn fine beer. However, I would be hesitant to call it a porter. It's really more of a dark ale. Semantics aside, it is a pleasure to drink.

Pours a dark brown with reddish tints. One and a half fingers of head with nice lacing. Good head retention.

This beer smells almost entirely of honey, although the bottle informs me that it is Scottish heather honey, which explains the fleeting floral aroma.

It tastes primarily of honey, with a more pronounced floral taste than is evident based on smell. I really would not classify this as a porter due primarily to the complete lack of roasted malt and coffee flavors. There are some malty notes, but not those which tend to define the porter style. This beer is on the sweeter side, but ny no means cloying. It finishes with a slight alcohol/hop spiciness. There is also, on occassion, the slightest metallic note here and there, which kept this taste from being a 4.5

The mouthfeel is creamy and oily, if a bit thin. It goes down smoothly, even with the millions of tiny bubbles.

Exceptional drinkability.

Very interesting, solid beer. Very poor style example.

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a very deep, nearly impenetrable brown, with just a hint of red at the bottom where the light shines through the most. A pleasant, frothy head builds up to about 1/2 an inch and then settles into a nice film.

I can see why they call this "Honey Porter" - the aroma is dominated by a dark, malty sweetness.

After the initial bite of carbonation wanes, the flavor grows into a smooth mix of honey-sweet malts. The finish is a lasting, syrupy sweetness. I like it - a porter should be dark and earthy in foundation, with a sufficient sweetness that gives you that little "lift" in the middle of winter when everything seems so cold and gray.

The mouthfeel is nearing what I would call a full body. A nice lace now covers the glass. This might be my favorite porter to date.

Poured into Sam Adams Sensory Glass

Pours a 2 finger pillow top head. Good retention. Think lacing splattered about the glass. Color is a deep brown/dark mahogany.

Aroma is mainly malts, honey, and carmel. It is a very roasted smell to it.

Taste is very rich. A lot of honey and carmel. Very malty and overall, very flavorful. The aftertaste is of coffee. Unique twist to this beer.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Easy to drink. Leaves a slight dry aftertaste.

Overall, this was one of the first craft beers I had about 4 years ago and I loved it then and I still love it now. Very flavorful and pretty easy to drink. I highly recommend this amazing porter.

Samuel Adams Honey Porter from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)