Samuel Adams Honey Porter - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Honey PorterSamuel Adams Honey Porter

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Porter |  5.45% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Honey Porter Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Look: dark brown with dark red highlights. The head is about a finger thick and is tan in color. The head forms a thin layer of tan foam on top of the beer as I work my way to the bottom of the glass. There's no lacing left.

Smell: a little sweetness from the honey but more dark malt than anything. Like everything from Boston Beer Company, the aroma is fairly subtle.

Taste: dark malt lends some coffee and dark chocolate flavors. The hops are also fairly noticeable. Its sweet but I can't pick out the honey very well.

Feel: medium bodied. Its a little too carbonated for my liking but otherwise its fine.

Drink: I could have a few of these if I wanted, though I probably wouldn't want to.

Overall, its a solid effort by Boston Beer Company but its far from my favorite porter. Boston Beer Company tends to play it safe with their beers and this is no exception. Worth a try, especially since its pretty easy to get, but I wouldn't go out of my way for this one. Cheers.

Enjoy before June '07.

Pours a cola colored clear liquid with ruby highlights. A quick forming creamy light beige head about 1/2" thick.

Sweet scents of honey graham crackers and Concord grapes. After a few more brisk swirls I detect milk chocolate and marshmallow cream.

Flavors of slightly charred wood and molasses hit my palate first. A spiciness evokes (and a dryness also) from the English golding (listed on neck label) hops, makes me think of chestnuts. There's a metallic aftertaste when these quickly fading flavors fall-off.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium with a slightly watery body. Dry finish.

Drinkability for me is so-so. I'll finish this bottle, but still feeling a bit unsatisfied.

Overall an OK porter that has a nice sweet/dry thing going for it. The body and mouthfeel seem limp to me. The flavors didn't stick around long as they quickly diminished after they hit the back of my throat. I've heard great things about this ale when it first came out 6-7 years ago, so I believe the recipe must have changed some (?).

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Pours a dark brown mahogany color with very small head that fades quickly. Leaves very little lacing on the glass.

S: Sweet toasted malt. Hints of honey, brown sugar and carmel.

T: Same as the aroma. Toasted malt, light hints of carmel and expresso. A sugary sweetness that follows but no pronounced honey flavor.

M: Medium bodied and a little thin.

D: This is a decent porter but nothing exceptional. Like many Sam Adams beers, the flavor is muted. These go down easy but nothing I would seek out again.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

A pretty solid porter. Poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pretty dark...black I'd say. Maybe dark brown, barely. Thin lace, not much foam.

Aroma: Pretty good, I can definitely get a whiff of the honey in this.

Taste: The honey is there, and there is also a bitterness going for it that balances out quite well. Its not overly sweet, otherwise it might as well just be syrupy alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Creamy-ish, but nothing too exceptional on this end.

Drinkability: I'd say its pretty drinkable, considering how fast I downed this thing. I might not have many more after it since it felt a little heavy though.

Overall a solid porter and worth getting occasionally.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

This is pretty good stuff. I'm normally a bit of a hop head, but for some reason I've been craving some more malty beers lately so out of convenience and general lack of selection in Florida stores I got the Sam Adams variety pack.

The appearance was pretty good. The head was REALLY thick and stuck around. Very foamy and sticky. The beer has really good balance and is not as heavy as some porters can be. There is some mild hop some malt and the sweetness of honey. This stuff has pretty good body, perhaps the honey gives it not only flavor but some of its body as well.

This is a bit lighter than most porters. Probably market research. More people would probably like this lighter porter than a traditional heavy strength giving hearty porter.

The carbonation is about right. Nice fine bubbles.
Very drinkable. I will buy a whole sixer of this stuff if I find it before the weather gets too hot.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Samuel Adams Honey Porter from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)