Brewer Patriot Collection - Traditional Ginger Honey Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Brewer Patriot Collection - Traditional Ginger Honey AleBrewer Patriot Collection - Traditional Ginger Honey Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.50% ABV

Brewed with authentic ingredients from the colonial era, such as fresh ginger puree, lemon peel and wildflower honey.

(Beer added by: Todd on 06-03-2006)
Reviews by DESTRO:
2.45/5  rDev -23.7%

cloudy orange with a frothy head. right off the bat huge ginger is present with lemon and all sort of citrus. also fresh cut grass. flavor profile is pretty similar, lots of ginger and lemon, very medicinal. off tasting. cough drop like. ok mouthfeel. starts nice, drops off rapidly. not to hyped.

DESTRO, Sep 05, 2006
3.78/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured a light slight hazed lemon yello with a tight sticky 1/2 finger white head,wow I have to say I like the aromas going on lemon and cadied ginger really show thru with a menthol-medicinal like quality as well.Pretty sweet on the palate the candied ginger flavors really show thru along with the honey but it doesnt really get cloying because of a lemony menthol flavor that comes thru late into the finish.Hey I think its quaffable and not overly sweet and gingery like alot of other BA's do its pretty good.

oberon, Jul 24, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +15.3%

Tasted 08/13/06. Best before Oct. 2006.

The entire concept behind these beers is fascinating to me. I enjoy studying the Colonial Era and the outstanding people that founded this country. Also, I have had a real curiousity for the tastes and smells of historical brews such as the authentic British IPA that would have been shipped to India or a real Porter when it was available to the hard working docksmen in London.

Appearance: Straw with a haze like a good wheat beer. Thick high head that receded to a dense cap that never completely vanished. Tiny beaded strands of carbonation that rose until the beer was gone. Torn lace clinging in patches.

Smell: The ginger is certainly there as is the lemon. Not overpowering; different but pleasantly so.

Taste: I can taste the ginger. Also a little sour/tart flavor in middle. As it warms, I taste a hint of honey.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: Very refreshing. Interesting and enjoyable.

I would buy a sixer of this for myself and one to share. I like this beer and recommend that everyone try it and decide for themselves. I wonder though if Thomas Jefferson would have had easy access to lemons and if BBC used native ginger.

Engibeer, Aug 14, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -0.9%

My second brew from the Brewer Patriot Collection, this one pours into my tulip glass a somewhat hazy yellow orange with a half inch of bright white head on top. Aromas are quite intriguing with a pale grainy background. Big sweet honey comes across married with a hint of light citrus and a spicy ginger. It's quite herbal and floral, even slightly medicinal.

First sip brings a light, crisp maltiness with a big citric, lemon zest rush. Floral honey sweetness moves in along with an herbal, slightly spicy ginger flavor on the way down. Finishes with a lingering lemony graininess. It does come off a little medicinal again in the flavor, reminds me of a cough drop a bit.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with fast moving carbonation. Leaves a bit of a lingering herbal/spicy aftertaste. Another interesting brew, but this one just didn't really do it for me at all. Guess it just makes me more thankful for the beer selection we have today!

orbitalr0x, Jul 21, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -19.6%

Recipe #1 from the Patriot Collection, best by 10/06. I can't imagine anyone drinking this beer; it's like drinking ginger ale and getting a little buzzed. It was a cloudy yellow-orange, with a small head that disappeared quickly. It smelled like ginger ale, very spicy and sweet. Ginger ale taste was quite prominent, with maybe a faint citrus flavor. Not a beer to savor, but a beer to drink because it's in the 4 pack.

lordofthewiens, Jul 06, 2006
2.53/5  rDev -21.2%

Traditional Ginger Honey Ale. Authentic Recipe No 1. Best enjoyed before October 2006. Pours an extremely pale straw yellow beer that's touched by some haze - and sediment left behind in the bottle. Big soda-like carbonation bubbles stick to the glass and fizz into a light white lacing that eventually disappears entirely.

Big candied ginger aroma. Smells like ginger ale basically - spicy and herbal - with suggestions of cardamom and lilacs in a soft floral bouquet.

Crisp carbonation, very thin and light mouthfeel with a watery consistency. Lots of unpleasant tannins upfront and an oily coating on the palate. The ginger character that was pronounced in the aroma, is very tame in the flavor, while a lemony bitterness puckers things up just a bit, applying some some zest / rind flavors in the back. Light pale malt sweetness, while the wildflower honey used is well-attenuated leaving behind a pleasing floral note and slight remnants of raw honey. Hints of cardamom, with a lingering raw and semi-astringent pith, husky and wheat-like character in the finish.

The tannins throughout the beer, and especially the finish, didn't appeal to me and took a lot away from allowing the subtleties of the brew to shine. Interesting, but not refreshing or overly drinkable.

Todd, Jul 06, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +19.3%

12 oz brown bottle with a "Best Enjoyed Before October 2006" freshness date on the label.

A- Hazed yellowish orange color, decent head retention and some active carbonation.

S- Freshly sliced ginger with a nutty and earthy back with lemony edges.

T&M- Wow! Fresh ginger all over, spicy and warming. The lemon cuts it a little but compliments it more. Nice snappish crispness from the carbonation. The medium body shows off its beery character with a biscuity malt flavor. Finishes with a pucker of lemon peel and a long lingering ginger.

D- I could not have more than one of these, tasty none the less. I bet this would work wonders for an upset stomach. Perhaps the best out of this bunch.

Jason, Aug 19, 2006
3.55/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a hazy pale yellow body with a small white head. Some patchy lacing is left on the glass. Aroma is candied ginger, fresh lemon pulp, and some earthy and floral notes. Mouthfeel is distinctly silky with soda water effervesence and a light body. Ginger is very prominent in the taste, overly prominent to my tastebuds. Reminds of Ale8One, a ginger softdrink bottled in Winchester, Kentucky. Not as spicy hot as some ginger concoctions I've had, but still very much a "ginger ale". Some fresh lemon notes, with hints of florals and honey add some complexity. Easy to drink, even refreshing if you like ginger. If I liked ginger a bit more I wouldn't mind having this one again.

merlin48, Aug 04, 2006
3.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Very interesting brew. Pours cloudy gold with a fluffy white head. Smells very lemony with ginger. A little soapy, but like one of those soaps your wife would buy. Nice honey sweetness up front that moves into the ginger and malt back. Reminds me of an herbal/homeopathic tea you would drink for a cold, but with beer mixed in. Tingly carbonation.

magictrokini, Jan 05, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Translucent dull gold appearance, small thin soapy white head. Laces evenly, in thin rings. Lemony aroma, almost like iced tea with a mint background to it. Light mouthfeel, carbonation is fairly low. Flavor follows the aroma in many ways, citrusy with a "hard-lemonade" impression, a backdrop of flavored tea and pronounced sage. The spices start to pile up on each other and give a medicinal quality, but its not particularly overwhelming or unpleasant. There is plenty of sweetness but I don't pick up a ton of overt honey. Actually, there are some real similarities to some Witbiers here. If the end could rise above a "Lemon-Scented Dish Detergent" impression, I would like this beer a little better.

ADR, Jul 02, 2006
3.1/5  rDev -3.4%

This beer pours a slightly cloudy light yellow color with a thick fluffy white head. The head fades slowly, leaving many thick laces.

This beer has a spicy aroma. The ginger is quite present. Some sweet honey aroma is also detectable. It has a slight citrus aroma. Lemon is the dominate citrus fruit.

This beer has a spicy flavor, with a little too much ginger flavor present. It is slightly overbearing. It has a fruity citrus flavor also. Sweet honey is present in the finish.

This crisp beer goes down smoth, leaving a honey like aftertaste. It is refreshing, but still a little hard to drink.

I dont think I would make this beer my session beer of choice. I cant explane it any other way than to say that I just dont like it.

Overall: As with almost everything I have had from Sam Adams, I am let down. I should probably stop spending too much for mediocre beer.

OStrungT, Sep 22, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

(Served in a dimple mug)

A- This beer has a golden yellow body with a faint hazy and a thick soapy head that fades pretty quickly. There is a good carbonation of big bubbles.

S- The spicy smell of ginger bread has some notes of fresh lemon rind and a pale malt hint in the background. There is a faint honeycomb smell in the finish.

T- The taste of dry bitey lemon rind and ginger spice fades into a pine floor cleaner quality. There is a cooked corn flavor to the malt that finishes with a sweet honey note that hangs on the palate after each sip.

D- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with no astringency or alcohol notes.

M- The flavors are big and bold which masks the malt flavors. It does have a bit of floor cleaner quality but it is a very fresh natural floor cleaner and not chemical tasting. I can see these flavors really masking the taste of infection or off-flavors in historic brews but I had a hard time getting the whole glass down.

rhoadsrage, Jul 17, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +19.3%

the last of the 4 beers of the patriot brewers collection

A - hazy gold with nice white head and some sticky lacing

S- very nice some honey and stong lemon in the nose

T- good strong lemon taste, but not tons of complexity finish was dryer than I like would have been nice if it was a clean finish

M- balanced some carbination

D- good but could have been better if the finish was not so dry, this is an ok beer for the summer but there are better choices

mcarroll10177, Jul 02, 2006
3.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Must admit I was skeptical going into this...I think it actually was better than I had antisipated.

AP>Pale gold/cloudy, small white head and was gone rather fast.

Smells spicey, ginger, w/ citrus and sweet malts, slightly wheaty too.

Taste of Ginger, honey, sweet malts, lemmon and yiesty.

Feels rather smooth, low carbonation, sweet overall on the palate.

I actually enjoyed this old-school style, not really my "thing" but I found it enjoyable and interesting.

GratefulBeerGuy, Jul 23, 2006
3.4/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This beer pours a very yellow color with a large foamy head. The lacing is good,but the looks like a large macro pilsner. The smell has ginger, lemon, and honey ,but without a doubt ginger is the most pronounced aroma. The taste has a large ginger presence with lemon and honey. The taste is actually more mellow than the smell. This really doesn't taste like any beer I've ever had and you really have to kkep in mind that this is a period beer. The m/f is light with all the flavors mixing well. Kudos for Sam for trying something different ,although I don't think I could have more than 2 of these.

jmz62565, Jun 14, 2006
2.15/5  rDev -33%

A - Semi hazy honey-hued brew with a thin white head that disappears quickly. Spotty suds, but no real lace at all.

S - Candy sugar and honey for sure. Ginger is there, but only in a sweet candy sort of way.

T - Herbal funk with some ginger, molasses, licorice, lemon, and mint flavors. Much like Lipton's Brisk Iced Tea. Herbal, minty, and much too lemony . For some reason this "herbal tea" taste worked in the root beer brew, but it seems weird here.

M - Refreshing, but awkward. Again, very tea-like, Gritty and old, like a mediocre beer thats been in the back of your fridge for years.

D - Poor. This is a very bizarre brew indeed...so was the root beer brew, but this just isn't doing it for me like that one did. I appreciate what they are trying to do with the rustic feel and all, but damn...this is pretty nasty.

pmcadamis, May 12, 2007
3.6/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

From notes. 12 oz bottle from Brewer Patriot 6 pack.

Pour: hazy light gold with tangerine highlights, under a finger of snow white foam that fades to a soapy skim.

Nose: very light - ginger, allspice, and lemon

Taste: Pungent ginger spice, clover honey, wintergreen and vanilla. They should make a candle out of this stuff.

Feel: light yet creamy with velvety carbonation.

Drinkibility/Overall: spicy and sweet, it remains surprisingly drinkable and is strikingly similar to Summer Ale, with a ginger infusion.

Golden2wenty1, Feb 21, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +18.4%

Less gingery than I thought. And not as sweet as the honey might suggest. Although it is a little on the sweet side, it still has great balance due to the gentle tartness of the lemon and the spiciness of the ginger. I'm not sure it would be very drinkable though, as I really enjoyed one but don't think I'd ever want two in a row.

Nice appearance. Hazy golden orange. Good head retention. Distinct wheat in the nose along with some lemon and just a touch of ginger. The ginger is more prominent in the flavor, and tends to linger in the finish along with a drip of honey and lemon.

NeroFiddled, Aug 26, 2006
3.25/5  rDev +1.2%

cliff1066, Dec 11, 2012
2.58/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours a yellow straw color with a good bit of haze. two finger head that dissapates after a minute. Aroma is spicy-sweet with a faint bit of lemon. Taste is the same. A little too sweet for my taste but not a bad flavor over all. Carbonation is substantial and drinkability wouldnt be bad if it were less sweet. Not a great beer for Sam Adams, but I like the fact that they are trying this cool experiment and it is interesting to try some experimental beers.

BeerAmbassador, Aug 18, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +31.5%

This poured a hazy yellow and screamed summer. No noticeable aroma. I didn't know what to think; a ploy? but I pushed on.

THe taste was a burst of ginger acidity/tartness, meaty wheat adn honey, with an overlatment of lemon. This was good, and it never got worse; it was truly one of the best Sam products I have had; the carbonation was spot on; not too much, a nice gravity.

Perhaps it won't win awards, but I might drink more Sams if it was all like this.

andjusticeforale, Jun 22, 2006
3.3/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a hazy pale yellow, with a nice pearl white head that retains well. The aroma has some wildflower honey notes, along with ginger, biscuity malt and some orange peel. The flavor is initially citrusy with lemon rind notes, along with some metal and ginger, slight orange blossom honey sweetness, biscuity malt and a touch of alcohol. The mouthfeel is light and spritzy and drinkability is ok. An interesting beer, but DFH seems to do better with historical type brews.

silver0rlead, Jul 17, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours straw to golden with a faint haze, some efferevesnce & a 1" white head. Some lacing & head retention

Smell: Ginger & more ginger, luckily I like this smell, plus just a whiff of lemon.

Taste; ginger & honey malt sweetness. This so reminds me of a ginger alt I made wayback when. Finishes sweet & dry, with some orange/lemon notes& maybe a hint of cinamon

MF: Medium with good carbonation

Drinks okay, would tire of the ginger after a while, bet this would go great with sushi or thai food. I could've lived large on this back in the day

russpowell, Jun 24, 2006
3.8/5  rDev +18.4%

Hazy, peachy-yellow/gold in hue; the bright and sunny liquid is quite lovely. White head, at the apex the foam was only a half finger tall. Sadly the head retention was poor as only a moment later all that remained was a thin, soapy collar. There was very minimal spotty lacing. Overall, the appearance is average and quite unimpressive.

The nose seems quite “modern.” I like what I smell. Lightly bready with a smattering of honey and lemon peel; the ginger is pleasantly understated. I was expecting more spiciness. At the back I swear I smell some minty-orange notes. The potency is moderate, at best. Complex and well-packaged; the bouquet is inviting.

The palate is very nice. It starts lightly bready with some cracker suggestions upfront. In the middle a wonderful medley of ginger, oranges, and lemon zest arrives. It tastes like a Ricola cough drop! Plus it is vaguely sweet as it finishes… nondescript spiciness along with some “beery” vibes. Yeah, kind of vague but the palate is nothing more than a well massaged array of flavors. I really like it. In fact, I find the palate sort of understated and restrained. I could handle much more ginger but that is just me. The ginger shows up the clearest in the aftertaste. Regardless, this is a damn tasty beer.

Medium/medium-light in body, the mouthfeel is quite ordinary. The carbonation is low and creamy but enjoyable. Adequate but pleasant mouthfeel.

I found this beer to be very drinkable. Wow. I am shocked. I could drink many of these in a row and if I could, I would. I can’t really think of what kind of food this would go with? For some odd reason I’m thinking a creamy cheesecake. Huh. I doubt if I’ll every get to try that combo. All in all, this was a very good beer. If folks drank this in 1790 I’d say those folks were some lucky bastards. Thank you jwc215 for the bottle; this was really good!

bditty187, Aug 16, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -15%

Meh.

The rootbeer was a malternative that worked. This one isn't. I enjoy a good Ginger Ale . . . but this one was mediocre at best.

Bastically, mix Canada Dry 50/50 with Miller High Life . . . or, ideally, Leinie's Honey Weiss, and BAM, you've got a clone experience.

shbobdb, Jul 07, 2006
Brewer Patriot Collection - Traditional Ginger Honey Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)