LongShot Boysenberry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

LongShot Boysenberry WheatLongShot Boysenberry Wheat

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.35% ABV

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 01-20-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of LongShot Boysenberry Wheat Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +26%

Poured into a pounder glass it forms a nice lively white head that leaves a cover of lace behind. Orange hazey body.

Wow. My first drink had me thinking this may be the best American wheat ale I've had. Very refreshing and flavorful. Berries are not overdone but they sure are a big part of this brew. Sometimes when fruit is introduced to beer it has a tendancy to dominate or on the other hand becomes to sugary to counter any tartness in the fruit. This strikes a perfect balance and the earthy wheat in the background gives it the desired depth.

Notes: Smooth Smoooth Smoooth. Crisp, light and refreshing while still delivering a delightfull balanced flavor profile. Put this bitch into the regular rotation at once, I'm sure Ken wouldn't mind some royalties sliding his way.

4.61/5  rDev +24.9%

Picked the Long Shot up by chance when it passed my eye at the store, I have to admit when I realized what the cardboard mini six-pack box was, i got a little giddy.

From a 12oz bottle

Appearance- Looks clear compared to most wheat beers, but had a nice light color as expected, though I can't say I didn't hope a little that it would be a light purple.

Smell- The best part about this beer is the smell. Amazing in all ways, it smells like boysenberries and wheat beer, perfect accents of that banana aroma from wheat, but that exceptional fruity scent that is untouchable.

Taste- An outstanding mix of fruit and wheat beer. I can't imagine how this was achieved at such perfection. The taste is amazingly balanced and even offers that slight bit of twang on your tongue like a sweet berry should.

Mouthfeel- Smooth, and refreshing, all the great aspects of a wheat. Nice yeast with a steady flow of carbonation.

Drinkability- I don't know how much of this i could drink because it only came with two bottles which I shared one. But I'd say this beer could easily replace Sammy's Cranberry Lambic in the winter batch. I'd probably stop at two at most, but I would love to see my Malt Beverage friends put down the Smirnoff triple black and pick up some of these well crafted delights.

This is the best beer in the pack, the most creative that I’ve drank in a while. I am more then impressed and I recommend that every one who reads this on BA to pick up the long shot before it's gone, unless you’re in north Jersey then leave it because I'm going to be going back for more.

4.59/5  rDev +24.4%

Light amber color with that typical wheat carbonation. The head lacked a little strength and the haze I was looking for. The aroma was a great blend of fruit and beer. Crystal and pale malts with some great boysenberry. The taste is just the same. Not overwhelming in the fruit department, and not too little so you forget theres fruit even in your beer. Malt was upfront and true to the ol' American wheat. A little yeasty at the finish. Just a great palate to this beer. And since the fruit wasn't overpowering, I could drink this all day. What a great fruit beer.

4.52/5  rDev +22.5%

This beer was instantly the beer I thought I was going to be the decent but nothing special out of the Longshot sixpack. I have to say, not true! At this point, I have yet to open the Old Ale or the Dortmunder but this beer is purely exceptional!

The bottles pours out a hazy, wheat sunburst with two fingers of head into my pint glass. Lacing sticks in theme with the rest of this beer... exceptional!!

There is an immaculate aroma of, you guessed it, boysenberry and wheat! The scent promises everything that the beer is... and the beer delivers.

When you think of a boysenberry wheat brew, you think of the unbearably overpowering fruity and tartness but this beer keeps everything in harmony.

Mouthfeel is a better than average and carbonated very well.

Drinkability is... just wow. I hope that by the grace of the beer gods, this becomes available in a case, or hell... even a corny keg.

Congratulations and thank God SA let the emplyees enter the competition. Ken Smith hit a grand slam with this one. On I go to the Old Ale...

4.52/5  rDev +22.5%

Second, out of three, from the LongShot six pack for me.

Hazy straw orange color topped by a rocky two inch head of white bubbles. Chunky lacing rings the top of the glass.

Man, this smells good. Sweet berries backed by a light wheat scent. Not obnoxiously sweet or over the top berries, but done really nicely.

Fruit beers aren't my thing. I usually let my wife finish them off for me. She won't be getting any of this one. Complete 180 from the aroma. Wheat is the strong point, with a nice addition of the boysenberries. Crisp, clean flavor. The fruit is a great complement to the beer.

Medium body with strong carbonation. True to style on the mouthfeel. Slight drying in the aftertaste only makes me want more. This one should make it into their regular rotation. Great job.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

My 60th Beer review!! Wow I am drinking way more then I did before, i have to slow down lol.

appearance - Hazy copper color, head disolved and had some lace,

smell - All the berry smells here. Blueberry, rasberry etc.

taste - The berry taste slams ya, very nice. Should be a Sam Adams beer.

mouthfeel - Light beer,some carbination.

drinkability - best fruit beer I have had. I want to say I can drink a lot of these, but not sure if it will make me sick. Enjoyed this beer a lot.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Hazy straw color with a low white ringed head and nice carbonation. Prominent boysenberry fruit aroma and flavor without being overly extract-like. Nice wheat malt balance in the mouth with a light citric character. Medium bodied and smooth for a fruit beer.

Solid (for a Fruit Beer) !

Per Label: "2006 American Homebrew Contest Winner" & "Ken Smith, CO" & "Hallertau Mittelfrueh Noble Hops"

Enjoy Before: June '07 (notched)
Tasted: 04/22/07

($7.99 / mixed 6-pack of 3 diff beers "Longshot Pack")

4.44/5  rDev +20.3%

I bought the Longshot 6 pack last winter and gave to my sister. At the time, I drank one each (3 total). In August, I'm rooting through her fridge to find she still has the other three! Score, because I loved all 3 beers in this set.

This is the best fruit based beer I have ever had, and I'm not a big fruit flavored fan. Rich berries at every turn just make this a delight, but with enough malt and very light hops to remind the drinker that this is serious beer business here. Big berries, fresh berries, yummy berries- I just wish I had a Boysenberry (or even blackberry) cobbler to go with this one.

I had this while also sharing Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and Kona Brewing Lilikoi (passionfruit) wheat, and there was no competition at all- this was by far the best of the bunch.

4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

2006 american homebrew contest winner came in a six beer box with two other contest winners brew of two bottles each. pours a cloudy golden color with a good two finger white head and lots of lacing to the finish. smell is boysenberry and blueberry. taste same. mouthfeel is light and lighty carbonated. not a big fan of fruit flavered beer. but good for a change of pace.

4.42/5  rDev +19.8%

Picked up a Longshot sixer at Woodman's East here in Madison.

Pour: a lightly cloudy tangerine orange under a few fingers of white foam leaving spotty lacing.

Nose: smells like wild berry skittles up front, juicy and sweet with a dry wheaty finish.

Taste: again, very fruity and sweet up front with loads of juicy dark berries - boysenberries of course, but I can't say I've ever eaten a boysenberry. Husky wheat malt and dry yeast balance some of the sweetness. This reminds me very much of a "Tripppelberry Wheat" brewed by Barley Bros in Lake Havasu City, AZ where I go every Spring Break (3 more weeks!) so those positive connotations help.

Feel: light and crisp, refreshing

Drinkability/Overall: A well-executed example of an oft-attempted, rarely successful style - the fruited wheat. Probably too sweet for the macho snobs out there, but a refreshing and tasty beer that reminds me of much warmer weather that I'm stuck with for the time being. Wish I could buy it by the 6 alone.

4.42/5  rDev +19.8%

This offering from Sam Adams comes from the Longshot competition put out by SA which was a great idea. The body pours a cloudy dark gold on top with a slight honey colored botttom.

The head is strong and never waivers from this offering which is fluffly and white. The aroma is boysenberry, wheat, sour fruit, candy, delicious and summery aroma. The feel on the palate is light and carbonated, the taste is very sweet, fruity, almost juice like in quality followed by just enough bitterness to balance that out but still on the sweet side.

The finish is so smooth I could easily have a 6-pack of this I hope SA releases this in 6-packs for the summer cause this would be in my fridge all summer. This is my first offering from this longshot 6-pack and if this is any indication of whats to come then bring it on!

4.42/5  rDev +19.8%

APPEARANCE
It has a very fresh golden crisp color. Slightly opaque. Had very good head retention.

SMELL
It is a pleasant malty smell.

TASTE
Taste great. It has a very light malty flavor. The wheat and fruit helps the sweetness of the beer.

MOUTHFEEL
Slightly coarse, but very light. Well-Carbonated.

DRINKABILITY
Definitely would have another one. Well-balanced flavors. My overall favorite of the Sam Adams Longshot winners.

4.4/5  rDev +19.2%

Pours a pretty hazy pale wheaty color with a nice, retentive head.

Smells wonderful! A grand mix of lush, super fruity berries and distinct wheatmalt. The balance is nearly perfect--the berries taste like actual berries, nothing synthetic, and their sweetness cut into the mild spice of the wheat.

Tastes even better! Huge, ripe fruit. Big blue berries. I don't know excatly what boysenberries taste like but if they're anything like this I'm gonna be buying a bushel. Their interaction with the light spice--which is a lot spicier than most APWA's--yields a perfect balance.

The only way you could dislike this beer is if you absolutely hate the taste of fruit. It's great!

4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

My Long Shot ranking:

1. Boysenberry Wheat
2. Old Ale
3. Dortmunder Export

A - Cloudy orange color. Head is fluffy and white. Lots of lacing.

S - Strong fragrant berry aroma with hints of wheat. Smells like berries in cream.

T - A nice creamy taste with a tinge of berries. Good hop presence. And after you swallow you get a nice berry flavor. This beer is NOT TOO SWEET!

M - Mouthfeel is smooth and (creamy). Good carbonation presence.

D - One of the very few fruit beers that aren't too sweet. Tastes awesome. Very nicely done. I'd say it's on par with Wisconsin Belgian Red.

4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured a cloudy honey yellow with a 1 finger head that lasted a few minutes.
Light lacing that disappears quickly
Smells of berries and honey. Very light sweet smell.
Taste is slightly sweet from the special hops, just right. I'm not much of a fruity beer drinker but I like this better than the Great Divide Wild Raspberry Ale. It is crisp with very good carbonation and a nice, clean finish.
Would make a great "hot summer day" beer.

4.34/5  rDev +17.6%

Boysenberry...ya, you weren’t kidding were you. Definitely boysenberry, and definitely refreshing....Ken Smith's recipe is very much so, a recipe of success...

Poured into my hef-glass with a cloudy darkish golden hue. The white foamy head dissipated fairly quickly, but thinly capped the beer well. The aroma was a highlight. Fresh (yep, you guessed it) BOYSENBERRY, with subtle hoppy tones that stayed strong throughout the whiffing process. This would make one kick-ass air freshener for the family truckster. The taste was of pale malt and wheaty, berry flavors as it finished with a light refreshing hoppy trail. Lighter bodied, this beer had the definite signs of the boysenberry flavor without being overly sweet, allowing the beer to shine through the fruit, not vise versa. A great warm weather beer (but goes down alarmingly fast in any temperature) that would pair very well with BBQ chicken, or any other zesty grilled creature...Enjoy

4.29/5  rDev +16.3%

A: A hazy gold with a steady stream of carbonation bubbles rising.
S: mmm...Boysenberry!
T&M: Crisp with the fruity flavor you would expect. Has a light perfume stick to it. It's like eating blueberry granola. Leaves that citrus aftertaste along the cheeks.
D: Being the first of the LongShot beers that I've tried, I have to say that I'm very impressed. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come with the other two types in the package.

4.28/5  rDev +16%

I was very intrigued by the Sam Adam's "LongShot" 6-pack of three award winning home brew's. The Boysenberry Wheat that is included is an exceptional beer.

It pours very well with a very thin, but consistent lace. The color is great with a slightly dark amber tint. As the previous advocate noted, this may be one of the best wheat ales I've tried. The fruitfulness is at the right level and is not overbearing. There is a harmoneous fusion of tastes. The drinkability is good. It is quite smooth and has a pleasant aftertaste.

All of the offerings from SA's Long Shot are worth trying. If you like the Boysenberry, I would also suggest trying Goose Island's "312" which is also, in my opinion, a very good wheat ale.

4.26/5  rDev +15.4%

Murky golden body with a small white head.Boysenberry smell and nothing else really.The smell is sharp.Good taste,boysenberry is tart but very tasty.I would drink more wheat beers if they tasted this good.Perfect carbonation and very easy to drink.I liked this alot and was glad I got to try it.I would drink again,great beer from SA.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

12 oz. bottle, best by June '07. Just-so-happened that my local brewpub created a blackberry wheat right around the time this came out. I tried it at the bar, but I took no growler home for a proper review, and it ran out before I made my way back. I guess I'll add it to the site next time it comes around. Anyway, on to Longshot... it pours into the weizen glass a transluscent amber/topaz, with a quarter-inch of off-white head that leaves little lacing. It smells of fresh, crisp boysenberries, along with black, blue, and strawberries, backed by some wheat and hops. Tangy wheat on the palate with a pleasant berry background, along with those signature SA Mittelfruh hops that taste green and lightly citric (orange) and impart a mild bitterness on top of a medium, drying body. Overall a very nice take on an American wheat, with a fruitiness that tastes authentic and makes you crave another. Well done.

4.24/5  rDev +14.9%

poured into my tall Blue Moon wheat glass from a 12oz long neck brown bottle with a crimped on cap.

Cloudy,golden color with a 1" white creamy head dissapating down to a constiant 1/2 later of foam.Very lively carbination,many strings of tiny bubbles tightly knitted racing to the top of the glass.

Good strong berry aromas, but not overbearing,a sweet honeyness to the smell,a bit of a melon aroma. Very clean and inviting. The berry aroma is like smelling a jar of jelly.

Lots of berry tastes,strong but not overwhelming,a sweet honey taste. Grassy,light citrus flavors.a nicely balanced taste that's very pleasing.

Light and creamy with a slight grainyness. Very drinkable goes down very smooth and easy. Hope this is around in the summer,very sessionable.

4.24/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours a moderately hazy golden amber. Clean, inviting boysenberry in the inviting aroma. The light, drinkable palate features more of that clean boysenberry, a mellow wheat grain base and a touch of subdued malt sweetness. A mild tartness and equally soft grain in the finish.

You know, it’s not hard to make a fruit wheat beer, it can’t be, so many breweries do it and frequently produce decently drinkable examples. But this is a step above: the fruit flavor is genuine and quite unique, the aroma is unbelievably appetizing and the overall lightness of the flavors in the palate make for one exceedingly drinkable beer. The two bottles that came in the Longshot pack just weren’t enough….

Highly recommended.

4.24/5  rDev +14.9%

Normally not one to go for wheat or fruit beers this was a winner. Very refreshing. There was much more fruit to the smell than taste which was awesome. I really hate the sickening sweet fruit beers.

Not overwhelming in fruityness, nor too yeasty and wheaty like a hefe, this is the best wheat beer I have ever had. I havent even reviewed any others simply because I dont like the style but had to with this one.

I think anyone could appreciate this one. I would rank it at #2 of this series of LongShot.

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

Presentation: 12oz bottle (Best By of 6-07) in a Weizen glass

Poured silent & smooth. Incredible crisp, fruited nose, just full of boysenberry & raspberry, reminiscent of most framboise lambics I've enjoyed. Hint of some cider dryness & sweetness as well. With some bloom the wheat qualities rise up. A crazy 3 finger's of tight, slightly sculpted, dull winter white foam comprised the head, and it slowly settled to a pencil's worth of cover that laced in curtains above a hazy, clouded, warm honey amber hue that was brassier near the surface and more golden at the bottom near the slight sediment. A very pretty & aromatic beer.

Mmm..creamy, smooth, fruity with berries in a slightly sour way (again, reminiscent of a good framboise) but not overwhelming. The banana quality usually present with unfiltered wheats is there but equally soft, almost a echo. There is a faint bready quality as well. Overall this is very delicate & soft but full of subtle flavors and qualities. The mouthfeel is somewhat syrupy, but yet again just barely, and not until the palate does it show some dryness, but even then a soggy crunch at best. The hops finally show up, but (again) faintly. I am really impressed at the high wire act of delicate flavors & mouthfeels this walks.

It grows more even & flattened out, thicker, a little hint of caramel sweetness, then fades away in a delicate, just barely (have I used enough synonyms yet?) bittersweet finish that leaves a coating aftertaste of warm banana bread and maybe some sour fruit.

A beautifully delicate, exceptionally well crafted beer. This is easily one of the most simply complex beers I've ever enjoyed. A tip of my glass to Ken Smith for such a full of flavor beer that was so....well...delicate. I enjoyed this very much.

LongShot Boysenberry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)