Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

LongShot Boysenberry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

LongShot Boysenberry WheatLongShot Boysenberry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.35% ABV

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 01-20-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of LongShot Boysenberry Wheat Alström Bros
2.17/5  rDev -40.7%

Pours out a hazed orange-peach color with a fluffy head and some ringed lacing patterns. The nose is of grain, faint wheat, and an overly present characteristic of berry fruit roll-up. Flavor is big sweet berry fruit roll-up, with a grainy middle, and a finish that's akin to Nutrasweet. Carbonation is too tame, and the overall mouthfeel leaves me a bit sticky and slick. With the nutrasweet character, this is about as drinkable as a diet fruit soda.

2.22/5  rDev -39.3%

12 oz bottle.

Beer pours a very nice hazy light amber color with a nice but not lingering white head. Good start! Lacing is decent too.

Nose...umm, I think I detect a hint of berry there?
OK, so it is big on sweet berries. And while I like berries, to me it is artificial-smelling. I grabbed a Bacardi Silver Raz *shudder* out of my wife's hand and confirmed that it smelled about the same.
I detect some wheat in this too, but I simply don't like this smell.

Taste...I think this won because after the smell they were expecting it to be awful, which it is not. There is some good dry, wheat maltiness here, but to me it is too sweet. Cloying by mid glass, I struggled to finish this and looked for something else to rid my palate of any memory of this.

If this were a little less sweet, I'd likely have no trouble finishing a bottle, and on the right hot day, perhaps two. Not particularly fond of the expressive carbonation, and I think the spritzy fruity sweetness has masked some other flaws. I'll keep the other bottle in the fridge until it is much warmer and give it another shot.

2.47/5  rDev -32.5%

I got 2 of these in the LongShot mixed 6 pack.

A - Hazy gold color with a fluffy white head that faded quickly, leaving slight lacing.

S - Berries, I think that is the smell brewer, Ken Smith was trying to achive here.

T - Very sweet berry taste, I didn't care for it.

M - Fizzy and sweet, very slight bitterness on the back end.

D - No more for me thanks, I think I'll offer the 2nd bottle to my niece's boyfriend, he'll drink anything!

2.51/5  rDev -31.4%

A slightly hazy golden straw coloured ale, unfortunately this means the fruit flavours are provided by a colourless concentrated extract (STRIKE ONE!), unless boysenberryies are a golden straw colour. Decent one finger white head supported by a relatively vigorous level of carbonation.

Fruit dominates, im assuming its the boysenberry, as ive never had the pleasure before of eating them all by themself. Their may be a whiff of lemony hops in there, but may be my imagination. Very faint smell of wheat grain also present (STRIKE TWO).

Wheat and pale malts give a mild bread crust character. Unfortunately this breadiness is buried under the bosenberry extract (STRIKE THREE!). There are hints of floral notes and perhaps some lemon as well as bubblegum that almost manage to emerge from underneath the wallop of bosenberry extract.

This is an absolute mess. Fruit extract overwhelms everything, and a solvent character is present as well. Id much rather enjoy a purple beer made with real fruit please and thankyou. Avoiding the use of concentrates may also allow for a more balanced brew with more evidence that this was made with fermented wort.

Slight solvent character reduces the drinkability of this fruit cooler type beer. Real fruit or at least real fruit juice as opposed to flavour extract might make this a drinkable beer and recognizable as such. Im not fond of slamming beer, but this is barely recognizable as such. It could have been so much better... Dammit now im getting a headache. Stupid fruit flavour extract.

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

Not sure what to expect as I'm not a big fan of fruit beers, but I do like boysenberries.

Pours a cloudy pale yellow, immensely thick white head forms, excellent lacing, great retention, lasts long and sticks like a mofo. Smell is neat, boysenberries, strawberries, general fruitiness, some vanilla, citrusy finish. refreshing. Taste is like juice, too much berry, not enough beer. All strawberry/boysenberry, bit of vanilla again, slightly cloying fruitiness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation. Just too much fruit for my liking, tastes like some sort of alcopop.

2.7/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Welp, the final of the 3 pack, and, again, nothing to write home to mom. Nothing that I would drink on a consistent basis, wish I could have given some to the wifey and got her opinion.

Hazy sunshine yellow, small white head. Aroma of boysenberry – which seems to be a strawberry / cherry combination. Same for the taste – just to tart and sweet for any session. Kool-aid with alcohol, no redeeming value

2.83/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy of ford9719. Thanks!
Pours a rich golden orange color with a nice white lasting head in a weizen glass. Smell is very strong boysenberry, and quite sweet like candy or jam. Nice at first, then even the nose becomes overly sweet. Taste is thinner and milder than the smell. Still some dull boysenberry flavor, and sweetness, but fairly bland with some wheat coming through as well. Average body and carbonation, but could use some more umpf. Decent, but got too be too much by the end of the bottle.

2.83/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass from the 12 oz bottle. The beer is somewhat hazy and golden in color. My pour produces a nice 1/2 inch white head which slowly fades to a solid ring around the glass, leaving some spotty lacing.

Smell: Fruity with scents of berries, slightly artificial; almost like fruity syrups. Sweet smelling and a touch citrusy.

Taste: Sweet, minimal grainy malts, a bit of a tartness on the finish. However, through it all there is an underlying sweetness that dominates my tastes. Not a traditional wheat beer IMO.

Mouthfeel: Lighter in body, good carbonation, lively.

Drinkability: I had a bit of a trouble putting down the first of the two beers, but by the second I had become numb to the cloying sweetness of the beer and just forced it down quickly. Just not my kind of beer. I won't be buying another Longshot pack unless I can find someone to take these two beers off my hands.

2.84/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured into a pilsner glass. A cloudy yellow liquid with a medium head that fell quickly. I smell sugar and berries, maybe some banana and a hint of wheat. Lacked any hop aroma. The taste was somewhat disappointing. It left an alkaline aftertaste with a hint of the berries. The scent left me wanting more in the taste department. The mouthfeel is average for a wheat ale. I am glad there were only two in the six pack.

2.84/5  rDev -22.4%

A: Pours an attractive cloudy golden straw color, changing hue as it goes from the thin to the thick part of the glass. Loads of miniscule little bubbles dance about, swirling their way to the surface. Head is small but creamy, almost completely white.

S: Boysenberry, perfume and wheat. No likey perfumy beers.

T: First taste is boysenberry…but its not tart. Really almost muted, or basic if you will. Next flavors are mineralistic, primarily limestone or calcium. Little bit of buttery popcorn flavors pop up with a strong grainy aftertaste following suit, cutting out the mineral flavor but leaving some of the boysenberry to linger longer.

M: Quite nice actually. Medium body but creamy.

D: I actually liked this beer less than most fruit/wheat beers on the market. I thought I was going to like it more. The fruit was too perfumy and not “real” enough. Maybe because I had a New Glarus Cherry Stout last night and know what really good fruit beers can taste like, the bench mark had been set too high. It all comes down to the fake boysenberry taste.

2.89/5  rDev -21%

12oz bottle purchased as part of a Longshot 6-pack from Julio's, Marlboro, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1 1/2" bright white head over the slightly cloudy golden brew. Head holds on admirably, with lots of sticky frothy lace. Aroma is pungeant and piercing, so intense to wave the "artificially flavored" flag proudly. Taste is lightly sweet wheat upfront, quickly shouted down by the berry, which dominates the rest of the experience. Mouthfeel is somewhat gritty on the tongue, for better or worse, and drinkability is really just quashed for me by this one being just too too fruit and not enought wheat. It's like they needed a chick beer to sell this 6-pack or something...

2.9/5  rDev -20.8%

A very hazy darker stroa colored body really shows the beers unfiltered nature. Head is a pillow like fluff at about an inch and a half of off white foam. Nose is very sweet tart like fragrent. Sweet and sour overripe berry notes are present. Up front right off the first sip you get a short sweetness followed quickly by a wheat induced bitter bite. Sweetness is very tart on the mouthfeel. A mineral like wheat hue develops on the mouth later in the palate. Mellows and settles down a bit as you drind it. Probably would go over better with others just a little done up and sweet for me.

2.9/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured a slightly hazy gold color with a small 1/4 inch head that fades quickly. Aroma was very fruity, perfumy and berry-like, which I'm assuming is boysenberry, but also reminded me of blueberry. Taste was of berries, grape and a little bit of maltiness mixed in. I could detect a slight hop flavor but it was pretty much overwhelmed by the strong berry flavor. Mouthfeel was light and refreshing. I've never been a big fan of fruit beers, but this one is decent. Still, it reminds me too much of those "flavored malt beverages"(i.e. wine coolers) that I used to drink back in high school and gave up when I got into craft beer. I sense that this offering is probably going to be the least impressive of this year's Longshot beers.

2.93/5  rDev -19.9%

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a small weizen glass. Label depicts the homebrewer (Ken Smith) and gives a brief description of the beer. Best before June 2007.

Appearance: Pours with 1 1/4 inch of white, creamy head. This settles quickly into a thin coating of foam and a lot of sticky lacing. The beer itself is a pale yellow very slightly hazy.

Smell: Strong sweet beery smell is the main aroma. Slight tartness with an underlying cerealy smell.

Taste: Upfront boysenberry taste, not as sweet as expected from the smell. Slight wheat tang follows. Finishes with a slight hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level. Body is good.

Drinkability: Not sure if I am a fan of fruit in an American style wheat. The bitterness and the fruit don't mix well to me. I prefer fruit added to a standard hefe, with their very mild bitterness.

2.98/5  rDev -18.6%

hazy with a nice one inch head that faded to leave a ring around the putside of the glass.

Aroma was light, nothing really jumping out at you, but once it settled in was actually fairly decent. Lots of yeasty and grain like aroma, however there was a definate fruitiness to it. Something sweet lingering in the back that you just could not place., it was like a Hefe mixed with fruit, Actually very good. Nice grain flavors making up the bulk of it, however the berry was very evident, not somethign you had to go searching for. Left a nice finish as well. Very sweet finish.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was surprised when I poured this into my glass. Not only did it smell really good, but it went down pretty easy as well. The only problem I had with it was the taste of the fruit. This beer was tough to drink another one right after because it was too sweet. I would rather this beer to any other fruit beer that I have tried. I generally don't like fruit in my beer, but this was good for about one glass max.

3.01/5  rDev -17.8%

This is actually a great example of a US wheat ale, bastardized by boysenberries. I love fruit, and fruit beers too, but the berries took over this beer in a bad way. Too sweet, like an artificial sugar sweet.

The wheat body of the beer seemed downright perfect, with great foam, great lace, great looking wheat-style haze, perfect attenuation, great balance, and perfectly refreshing. One of the best examples I've seen. I'd love to try it pre-boysenberry.

My least-favorite of the longshots, but it could have been my fav had it not been for the sheer dominance and sweetness of the berries. Cheers!

3.03/5  rDev -17.2%

12oz. bottle

Pours a hazed golden straw color with a creamy white head that thins. Thick lacing on the glass.

Very fruity smelling - it smells very much like a shampoo or lotion that my wife uses. It smells artificial, but not unpleasant.

Tastes like it smells - artificial berry taste with a washed out wheat beer backdrop.

Light body, full carbonation.

The similarity between this and the smell of my wife's freshly washed hair are uncanny. I have never tasted the shampoo, but the smell is almost identical. Not offensive, just too faux fruit tasting for my palate.

3.03/5  rDev -17.2%

2/20/2007 $7.99 6 pack 5.35% Best by June 2007.

Pours an effervescent hazy orange with a thin film of white head adrift on top.

Berrylicious is all I can say.

Beer with fruit juice added is all that comes to mind. It is better than their Cherry Wheat and Cranberry Lambic, but totally overpowered by the boysenberry.

3.05/5  rDev -16.7%

(Served in a nonic)

A- This beer has a hazy apricot colored body with a gentle carbonation of tiny bubbles and a thin soapy white head.

S- This beer has the smell of boysenberry crunch cereal even during the pour. The smell is a bit chemical but not to bad.

T- The taste of slightly bitter berry notes has a soft pale malt and slightly sweet cereal taste to it. The soft note of cranberries has a hint of red lifesavers to it with some soft sweet field corn notes. There is a soft spice that comes through in the finish as it warms.

M- The mouthfeel is very light and fizzy.

D- This beer doesn't have much depth of flavor and it taste a bit chemical when it comes to the fruit. I found the first few sips interesting but then I just go tired of that in your face fruit flavors.

3.05/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours with a hazy peach hue topped with a scattered ivory ring containing no carbonation bubbles.

Boysenberry scents translate with a middle between blueberry and raspberry. Brisk fruit scents dserve credit. Grape juice and some wheat round out the nose.

First swigs: It's fruity alright! Blueberry like the nose. Wheat aspects are underpinned by the overwhelming berry.

Last swigs: Great fruit blast but a little too much on the side of beer candy. Boysenberry is unique. Kudos for that. Other than that,
this is a dime-a-dozen fruit beer.

3.08/5  rDev -15.8%

Another one out of the Longshot six pack. Pours into my glass a slightly hazy golden yellow with a half inch of fizzy white head. Aromas start off with crisp wheat grain along with a big berry syrup scent that has candy like qualities to it. Berry juice dominates and not much else gets through.

First sip brings a crisp, dry wheat grain maltiness that is immediately hit with a blast of boysenberry flavor. To mixed it tastes like mixed berries and has a candy flavor to it. Flows down with just a hint of hops on the finish that's also slightly chalky with a touch of bitterness.

Mouthfeel is smooth and somewhat creamy from the carbonation. Goes down easily and I can't say it is not refreshing. Still, this one doesn't make me want to come back for more. A pretty good wheat based fruit brew but nothing about it is particularly memorable.

3.08/5  rDev -15.8%

Into a pint glass, pours a light, fuzzy gold with a pretty good white fluff of head, but not so much for lacing. The aroma is a whole lotta berry, not a lot of wheat... good, but lacking in breadth and depth. The taste get more complex, the wheat making a presence, but ultimately drown out by berries, quite tart, particularly at the finish where it could have been smoothed out. The mouth is a bit rough around the edges. For a wheat beer, which I usually find extremely good to the mouth, the tart bite makes this one a bit tough. Overall, a novel concept, a beer the fiance likes, but not one I'll be having again.

3.1/5  rDev -15.3%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Best by June 2007.

Appearance: Slightly hazy golden color, though I wish it were unfiltered so it would be even more so. Head fades slightly quickly though leaves a fat around the base, with also some surprisingly spidery though thin lacing reaching all around the top of the glass.

Smell: Strong perfumey and medicinal boysenberry aromas, which unfortunately shadow much of the potential for the aromas coming from the wheat. Way too much of the fruit here overall.

Taste: Too much fruit, and though it doesn't seem like it's so syrupy you can't drink it, there's a bit too much artificiality masking both the flavors of the wheat (which are pretty much hidden), and the flavors of real ripe berries, which could certainly help this and be lessened in the final ingredients. Even the finish, though long, is all berry flavor, and is entirely too much.

Mouthfeel: The thing that's done correctly with this brew, as it's full, creamy, and has enough carbonation to make me crave the other wheat flavors and aromas that are too obfuscated by the boysenberry flavors and aromas.

Drinkability: You know, I really don't dig fruit beers I suppose (though Lambics are another story), and this lets me know why. Interesting enough for a one-timer, but as my girlfriend's coming to visit in a few weeks, I know she likes these and will probably save it for her. Good try overall, but for me this one falls fairly flat.

3.1/5  rDev -15.3%

Bottle says best before June 2007. It pours a hazy gold color with an inch frothy white head. The beer smells like boysenberries, and not much else from what I can tell. But it does smell pretty nice to me. However, it doesn't taste as nice. It tastes like berries and some grain/wheat, but also has a soapy taste in the finish that I didn't care for. Mouthfeel is light and not watery at all, but also has a bit too much carbonation. Drinkability isn't bad, but would be better if it wasn't for the soapy taste and carbonation. Overall not too bad, but not very good either.

LongShot Boysenberry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)