LongShot Boysenberry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

LongShot Boysenberry WheatLongShot Boysenberry Wheat

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.35% ABV

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 01-20-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of LongShot Boysenberry Wheat Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev +3%

Ken Smith's (a Sam Adams employee) Boysenberry Wheat pours a copper-gold and looks pretty clear for an "unfiltered" beer. Nice head retention in the Pilsner glass.

I'm going to admit that I've never had anything boysenberry-flavored before or the berries themselves, for that matter. But there's definitely a strong fruity aroma coming out of the glass. *Berry* fruity if you ask me. Reminds me of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same recipe with a different fruit. The flavor profile backs up my theory a bit. It's tart and delicious and slightly sticky. Medium- to light-bodied. Satisfies my sweet tooth as well as my beer tooth. (664 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -33.6%

I got 2 of these in the LongShot mixed 6 pack.

A - Hazy gold color with a fluffy white head that faded quickly, leaving slight lacing.

S - Berries, I think that is the smell brewer, Ken Smith was trying to achive here.

T - Very sweet berry taste, I didn't care for it.

M - Fizzy and sweet, very slight bitterness on the back end.

D - No more for me thanks, I think I'll offer the 2nd bottle to my niece's boyfriend, he'll drink anything! (452 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a nice, slightly opaque reddish-copper color. A nice two finger head with good immediate lacing. Looks fairly tasty. Nose is incredibly strong boysenberry scent, with some other berries as well. Strong fruity sweetness, maybe some raspberries too. Good, but like a lot of fruit-added beers, its all one flavor. Taste is that same strong boysenberry as well, if a little milder. Finish is a little bit more of a smooth wheat beer flavor, with a good amount of fruit spiciness in the end. No malt to speak of, and just a hint of yeast. I guess it's the kid in me that used to drink fruit punch like a fiend, but I like this one, even if it is pretty straightforward. Feel is a little thin-bodied, but not bad. Overall, its one I'd definitely have one of in a night, although the sweetness makes it a little tough to throw them back. (836 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +9.9%

Slightly pale, slightly cloudy golden amber. A thin white film fades to a ring and leaves a touch of lace.
What a beautiful berry aroma. Very natural.
Boysenberry for sure. A touch of wheat malt behind and a nice balancing hop flavor.
Light bodied and nicely carbonated. Very clean finish that doesn't stick to the palate. A little dry with a tart touch left behind.
Wish I had a case of these suckers. Very refreshing. (423 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -9.9%

My least favorite of this year's longshot series. That being said, this isn't a terrible brew by any means. Pours a slightly cloudy golden with a pure white head. The smell is enticing fresh fruit over light wheat. The taste lets me down, though after the promising start. Too sweet, too much fruit, too extracted tasting. At least it tastes real and not artificial, and it does have a freshnesss about it that is appealing. The mouthfeel is a little too light, but not bad. Decent carbonation and crispness. This one is a little out of balance. Cut back on the extract (or use whole fruit), and ramp up the body a tad to make it more drinkable. A little work would make this a nice brew. (688 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

Second bottle of this I've had, purchased in Atlanta the day of the NCAA championship game (go gators!)

Appearance: Very pale straw in color, slightly hazy despite sitting in the refrigerator for a long time. Good white head, with good retention and lacing.

Smell: Lots of berry aroma. I know this was made with extract, but it smells very fresh.

Taste: Raspberry middle, blackberry finish, raspberry aftertaste - slightly bitter here, really the only place hops show up. That late bitterness keeps it from being too sweet.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, light enough to be refreshing.

Drinkability: Not a big fan of fruit beers, but this isn't bad. (658 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

A- This poured about two and a half fingers head that receded down to barely nothing quickly, left good lacing though. The beer itself is a cloudy orangeish gold.

S- As soon as I cracked open the bottle I could smell the Boysenberry, after pouring it that is still all that I get from this beer. It is a pleasant smell.

T- With the smell of this I half expected it to taste like fruit juice, it doesn't. You can taste the Boysenberry right in the beginning and through the middle, but it isn't until the finish that you taste the wheat.

M- This is a very dry beer. It is also thin, but not overly watery, and more carbonated than I would have expected from a wheat.

D- This beer is rather dry, the dryness seems to lessen as the beer warms. At first I was going to give this average drinkability but as the beer warms and I thought about it I wouldn't mind drinking this all night, now that I know to expect the dryness.

Overall this is a pleasant beer to drink, I think that I will try to sit outside and enjoy this beer in the nice warm weather we are getting this weekend. (1,090 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

A: This one produced a hazy, dull gold with a voluminous head when poured into a weizen glass. Surprisingly good retention, sticking around for quite some time.

S: Pretty much all boysenberry in the nose, but an sweet and inviting fruit snack quality to it. This bright aroma was undergirded by a wheat base that preferred to lay low in the background.

T: For the power and bravado in the smell, the taste does not pack as much of a berry punch, but does feature quite well. The sweet/tart of the boysenberry is felt up front and into the middle, but all the while carried across the palate by a wheaty and rather dry base. The combination thereof makes for interesting sipping, as the flavors come out a bit more as the beer warms. The wheaty side is a bit lackluster in my opinion, but a very well executed idea.

M: A slightly syrupy mouthfeel with appropriate carbonation. There's a dryness in this beer that makes the lips smack, which is kinda nice.

D: Quite drinkable, especially in the springtime as the weather warms a bit. For some reason, the berries make me think of winter and the wheat makes me think of summer, so it seems to fit right in the middle. (1,176 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -16.7%

Bottle says best before June 2007. It pours a hazy gold color with an inch frothy white head. The beer smells like boysenberries, and not much else from what I can tell. But it does smell pretty nice to me. However, it doesn't taste as nice. It tastes like berries and some grain/wheat, but also has a soapy taste in the finish that I didn't care for. Mouthfeel is light and not watery at all, but also has a bit too much carbonation. Drinkability isn't bad, but would be better if it wasn't for the soapy taste and carbonation. Overall not too bad, but not very good either. (575 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Welp, the final of the 3 pack, and, again, nothing to write home to mom. Nothing that I would drink on a consistent basis, wish I could have given some to the wifey and got her opinion.

Hazy sunshine yellow, small white head. Aroma of boysenberry – which seems to be a strawberry / cherry combination. Same for the taste – just to tart and sweet for any session. Kool-aid with alcohol, no redeeming value (409 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -19.1%

This is actually a great example of a US wheat ale, bastardized by boysenberries. I love fruit, and fruit beers too, but the berries took over this beer in a bad way. Too sweet, like an artificial sugar sweet.

The wheat body of the beer seemed downright perfect, with great foam, great lace, great looking wheat-style haze, perfect attenuation, great balance, and perfectly refreshing. One of the best examples I've seen. I'd love to try it pre-boysenberry.

My least-favorite of the longshots, but it could have been my fav had it not been for the sheer dominance and sweetness of the berries. Cheers! (609 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Nice to see SA reward some well developed homebrewers for this mixed sixer.
Figured to start with this one.
A honey color with a full finger of bright white head...a thin layer sticks around for the duration of the pint with very spotty lacing.
A Boysenberry punch to the nose...some sweet pale malt with lingering nostrils.
Taste is what you'd expect...pretty big fruit presence. It is one fruit that comes across w/ some perfume aftertaste that does not go over so well for me.
At least this is not a sweet beer...the wheat really helps to dry up the mouthfeel. Slightly bitter with some floral hops.
Mouthfeel is one of the best attributes of the beer...adds some real depth to the offering.
Suffers in the drinkability for me personally, but not due to any off flavors...just not my favorite fruit to begin with. (823 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a hazy golden color, typical of your American wheat beers. Not much head and no lacing. The smell is of Boysenberry, though I'm not overly familar with Boysenberry. Kind of smells like the Blue Point Blueberry Ale. The brew has a fruity taste but not cloying, fits in well with the wheat. The feel is light and seltzer like. One of the previous reviews hit it on the head by stating that it tasted like Clearly Canadian. A decent fruit beer, though I must admit fruit beers don't do it for me anymore. (507 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -6.5%

A Golden yellow body, slight haze, ton of streamers, and a small but durable head made this to be quite a good looking beer. The smell clearly showed off the berries, but it was not overly syrupy. The taste seemed very sweet at first sip, but as I drank more, I liked it better. The spicy hop presence provide a good counter balance to the fruit juice. The body was light, and the mouthfeel quite crisp. Finish was a bit cool-aid like. It's been a while since I've had Cherry Wheat from Sam Adams, but this is a little better IIRC. (531 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -8.6%

Hazy golden orange body, mellow carbonation bubbles, topped by a big foamy snow white rocky head with exceptional lacing.

Nose is all sweet beery, er, berry (talk about Freudian slips). You tell me its boysenberry, I'll believe you.

Berry sweetness arrives at the very start, and between that and the wheat and malt foundation is definitely below ground level. The wheat does assert itself after the initial beery burst, enough to establish this as a beer and not some malternative wandering off the street. The berry takes back control, and holds on, riding over a mild hop snap at the swallow. That hop snap is really not quite enough though, and the berry could have used a bit more balance in the aftertaste.

Nice light mouthfeel makes it appropriate for spring/summer (assuming we actually experience those seasons for more than a couple days this year). Drinkability is ok for the first one, but after one I'd be looking for a hoppy pils or ipa to rebalance my tongue.

Both American wheats and fruit beers are more miss than hit with me, but this isn't bad. If you're into those styles, give it a try. (1,119 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured a cloudy amber with a thick, foamy head. Lacing is thick and clumpy. Very strong berry aroma and that's all; I couldn't detect any hop presence. Taste also exhibits a strong berry flavor with a light sour note; not bad, but not exactly to my taste. Second and third quaffs reveal a mild sweetness that creeps up on the palate. Finish is cool and crisp with lots of carbonation.

In my opinion, the boysenberry aroma and flavor are too prevalent in this beer. While good, the intense flavors create an unbalanced brew. I may add a slice of lemon to the second Boysenberry Wheat from the LongShot six pack to see if that tempers the flavor somewhat. (657 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into a shaker pint, the Boysenberry Wheat is a hazy, toasted gold with a white, two-finger head that quickly subsides to a nice skim leaving moderate lace.
The aroma is really nice, bright yet moderate, mainly berries and a bit of generic beer must. It reminds me of a Clearly Canadian flavored seltzer.
The taste is pretty good, a nice balance of berry flavor, enough to be noticed but not overwhelm. The wheat aspect is pretty muted, as in an American wheat, so there's no hefewiezen esters or anything, not that they marketed it as such. It's not too sweet and quite refreshing, only a slight malt aftertaste. Not complex or anything, but the berry certainly makes this much more enjoyable to me then a regular American Wheat, which I find to be pretty boring. This would be a great summer yardwork beer.
The mouthfeel is pretty nice but nothing special, on the lighter side but pretty middle of the road.
The seemed pretty drinkable, I don't think the berry would get to be too much if you sessioned with these, although I didn't.
All and all not bad, probably would be well received by casual beer drinks that don't venture much beyond macro lagers. (1,171 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured into a pilsner glass. A cloudy yellow liquid with a medium head that fell quickly. I smell sugar and berries, maybe some banana and a hint of wheat. Lacked any hop aroma. The taste was somewhat disappointing. It left an alkaline aftertaste with a hint of the berries. The scent left me wanting more in the taste department. The mouthfeel is average for a wheat ale. I am glad there were only two in the six pack. (419 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours an extremely cloudy, dark burnt yellow color (bordering on orange) with a tiny white head that disappears quickly.

The aroma alone was worth the purchase. Extremely strong, and smells delicious. Smells like sugary berries. Jelly. A little blueberry, banana, and who knows what else. I've only had a few boysenberries in my life - usually in pancakes or crepes - so I'm not completely sure if these hit that mark.

Flavor isn't bad. Not as much wheat as I would have expected. Obviously there is a lot of fruit flavor, but it's not quite as sweet as I would have expected from the aroma.

Mouthful is smooth and crisp. Slightly creamy, which adds to the enjoyment. Theonly downside is that it's a little sticky in the aftertaste.

Drinkability. Well, that depends on how much you like fruity beers. I don't like sweets that much. Hardly ever have desert. So fruity or over-sweet beers turn me off. Despite this, I actually enjoyed drinking this beer. I'd hate to make a night of it, though. One is enough. (1,020 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +5.9%

Best by June 07.

Not that cloudy for an unfiltered brew, head packs up and leaves after about 5 minutes. Dark gold, which I like on an APWA.

I poured this and then tried to take care of a chore for a minute, but the smell wafted over and beckoned me back. Very strong. Just fruit, maybe a little sugar from the malts but that's it on the nose. I'm not sure I would know a boysenberry if I smelled it, but this smells somewhat like genuine fruit, not just a chemical.

Ken, the brewer in question, is right on with his description: "Refreshing light taste and cereal crispness from the wheat malt." Check. "Rich, fresh fruitiness balanced by a citrus note from the hops." Check. Truth in advertising in beer? Sweet. A minor soapy note, but otherwise this one is cereal wheat and berries all the way to the finish line.

Mouthfeel is appropriate for the style, light and bubbly. Finish is very smooth, with a briefly lingering wheat note.

I could drink a few of these -- I bet a lot of people could, and I'm surprised there isn't a widely available beer quite like this one. A nice fruity twist on a staid style... impressive. Long Trail Blackbeary Wheat, pay attention!! (1,182 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%

Appears a semi cloudy golden orange hue with a large off white cream tinted head appears like a floating creamy biscuit above the rim of my pint glass, nice. Aroma is strong with berry tartness much like a jar of jelly with the seeds still intact, complemented with biscuit malts and some mild acidity noted from the wheat malts added overall enjoyable aromatics. Flavor leaves more to be desired with not so much overly sweet berries but just an ordinary American Wheat base, biscuit dry finish too much yeasty cake powder notes in the finish barely noticeable hops. Better than the average fruit infused American wheat but it's not a style I'm about. Mouthfeel is light to medium in body with some flowing protein texture going on from the wheat and yeast combo, overall a moderate carbonation level after a few sips the boysenesque tones become cloying to me. Drinkability not so much for me I want a hoppy American Wheat but this is a well made brew and I can promise you it's interesting an worth a try just it's still a fruit beer. (1,037 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -13.2%

Sampled & reviewed on 2/2/07:

Ap: Pour raises a fingers worth of rocky foam. Brilliant hazy, old gold color. Sparkling.

Ar: Very fruity! Sitting a foot away from the glass, the aroma floods out of the bottle. The boysenberry aroma dominates. Very perfumy. Almost smells like raspberry yogurt.. Too fruity. No balance of malts or hops evident.

Ta: As with the aroma, the flavor is dominated by the fruitiness . Lots of bubblegum, too. It's a bit much for my palette. Can't taste much beyond the perfumy fruitiness. Light malt body & no evident hop profile, although it would be light anyway for the style. Tastes kind of fake to me. Not like fresh fruit.

Mo: Light. It is refreshing & cleansing, as well as crisp & dry.

Dr: Medium. The chemical fruitiness makes this a 1 & out beer. Should have gone easy on the boysenberry flavor. It is fairly light & easy drinking though if looking for that.

Comments: Ok, but WAY too fruity. This is beer, not candy or fruit juice. This is not a winner for me by a LongShot.... (1,031 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +21.5%

This beer was instantly the beer I thought I was going to be the decent but nothing special out of the Longshot sixpack. I have to say, not true! At this point, I have yet to open the Old Ale or the Dortmunder but this beer is purely exceptional!

The bottles pours out a hazy, wheat sunburst with two fingers of head into my pint glass. Lacing sticks in theme with the rest of this beer... exceptional!!

There is an immaculate aroma of, you guessed it, boysenberry and wheat! The scent promises everything that the beer is... and the beer delivers.

When you think of a boysenberry wheat brew, you think of the unbearably overpowering fruity and tartness but this beer keeps everything in harmony.

Mouthfeel is a better than average and carbonated very well.

Drinkability is... just wow. I hope that by the grace of the beer gods, this becomes available in a case, or hell... even a corny keg.

Congratulations and thank God SA let the emplyees enter the competition. Ken Smith hit a grand slam with this one. On I go to the Old Ale... (1,051 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -9.9%

12oz bottle -> pint
notched: best by June 2007

Pours a hazed pale golden yellow with a huge creamy tight head. Chunky sporadic lace. Carbonation appears robust.

Nose: Berry, berry and more berry, smells like grape sugar candy.

Very sweet berry, tartness, some hop bitterness, but way too sweet imo. Tastes even sweeter than the nose indicates. No real wheat characteristics.

Good mouthfeel, feels a little thick while staying light.

Not something i'd like more than one of, due to the high sweetness levels. (526 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +12.1%

Part of the Longshot Home-brew competition 6-pack for 2006. Brewed by Ken Smith a SA employee.

Freshness date on the bottle.

Appearance is golden and a bit cloudy, with slight head and lacing as the brew settles in the glass.

Boysenberry right up front in the nose, with a sweet malty aroma lingering.

You guessed it, the taste is very sweet, and tart, and hinting towards those rascally boysenberries. Very sweet, and a nice hop balance to finish, to make the brew a bit crisp towards the end. The berry influence is a bit cloying, but nicely avoids the syrupy pitfall of many fruit enhanced beers.

Very light and flavorful. I'll add on to the thoughts of others. Let's all plead to Sam Adam's to have this replace their Cherry Wheat in the summer. This would go great at a summer BBQ in my opinion. (817 characters)

LongShot Boysenberry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)