Samuel Adams New Albion Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams New Albion AleSamuel Adams New Albion Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: auxiliary on 07-23-2007)

nasharm, May 03, 2013

MickeyMonk, May 02, 2013

Hairrrrrrrr, May 01, 2013
2.88/5  rDev -14.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tumbler. I picked up a sixer at Jungle Jim's, in Fairfield, OH for $3.99, which was a steal. I'm not sure if this had anything to with the quality, but I wanted to note that in this review.

A- Light straw yellow, not quite crystal clear, but close. Foamy one finger white head, that leaves a little spattering of lacing.

S- Sweet malt, subtle. More subtlety coming from the hop end, a slight orange citrus. Mild, but a pleasant aroma.

T- Straw, slight hop bitterness. A little stale? It tastes similar to a Miller Lite.

M- Light body, light carbonation, clean, with a slightly bitter finish.

O- It tasted stale. I'm not sure if that's how it is, or I purchased a poorly stored product. Jungle Jim's is usually good with beer though.

BWED, Apr 29, 2013

Holland, Apr 26, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

MarshMan71, Apr 26, 2013
3.39/5  rDev +0.9%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Poured hard this beer is clear straw color with a thick three finger white head, with some nice lacing already showing up. It has a very sweet banana and bubble gum aroma. Very pleasing but nothing out of the ordinary.

A very mild pale ale taste that is pretty even throughout. Not too much going on, a very drinkable pale ale. Mouthfeel is nice and refreshing. Would make a good session beer especially at the 3.99 price tag I got a sixer at. I doubt I would pay the regular price but at this discount i couldnt loose.

screamking, Apr 26, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

WallE89, Apr 26, 2013

MN_Beerticker, Apr 26, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

Lare453, Apr 25, 2013

Jason1337, Apr 25, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass , a hazy golden color with a 2 finger head that disapears very quickly leaving no lacing

The smell is kind of just bland , a slight earthy malty smell but not much else going on

Kind of a week bodied beer , would be okay for mowing the yard in 100 degree weather

The flavor just isnt there for me , slight hint of hops to start then almost tastes like a BMC , like there is adjucnts in it ,I'm not sure if they are in there or not but it just doesnt taste that great to me

Overall I wouldn't purchase this beer again , it might be ok like I said on a hot summer day when you are very thirsty

ubenumber2, Apr 25, 2013
3.31/5  rDev -1.5%

Seen this one lurking around for a while, best buy Jul2013 so it should be fresh enough.

A- Poured from the 12oz bottle into a goblet with a clear golden body with a hint of orange in the hue. A fizzy white head forms to about a finger in size but doesn't stick around for that long leaving a small bubbly ring behind. Not much lace in my case.

S- Not a whole ton going on for a 6% ale. I get some apple, grape sweets and citrus notes at first with some cracked grain and bread beyond that. It reminds me of Narragansett Lager in a way. Slight floral hops.

T- Not as tame as the nose but pretty laid back with light cracker malts and citrus hops leading the way. Floral, herbal and spicy hop notes also present. Yeast bread, apple, grape and light sweetness also present. Still reminds me of some lagers in a way.

MF- Creamy light body with carbonation present at a high level. Foamy overall feel with a light bitterness finishing things off.

Yes this beer has a major place in brewing history but it is one of those things that seems like you had to be there to really, truly appreciate it. It is good and I can only imagine what impact it had back in the day. I do have to say it is nicely balanced and that might be the best characteristic of it.

cbutova, Apr 25, 2013

thechief16, Apr 25, 2013
3.15/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours very golden. Has a thumb's length of head. Nice hoppy aroma, has a typical mouthfeel or a pale ale, nothing great, nothing awful. Has a decent hop filled taste, nothing else I really detect. A solid beer that is very drinkable, inoffensive, and something I would drink again if presented the opportunity. It wasn't something that I think I will rush back and buy another sixer of right away, but I'd have it again.

justincolts, Apr 24, 2013

rypkr, Apr 21, 2013
4.71/5  rDev +40.2%

I am trying to compare this with the original from 1978. I have fond memories drinking this brew while walking down Denmark Street in Sonoma. There was always yeast sediment in the original bottom, always not quite clear, this one is somewhat hazy. I hope this brew continues, not just limited release, or how about a California Brewery taking a try at it.

plumasgoldrush, Apr 21, 2013

PGVG, Apr 20, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

tallfellapgh, Apr 20, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +26.5%

Dapperticus, Apr 20, 2013
3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

Had on-tap at Final Gravity in Roseville, CA

Appearance - Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow, served in a pint glass with a white, finger width head. Great retention. Leaves a good amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell - Light citrus, with lesser notes of sweet, bready malt character.

Taste - Follows the nose. Notes of citrus backed by a sweet, bready and slightly grainy malt backbone. A touch of light toast near the finish. Simple, but clean and with awesome balance.

Mouthfeel - Medium body with moderate, crisp carbonation. Super smooth. Silky. Goes down without effort.

Overall - The history behind this beer is pretty awesome, and the beer itself is pretty damn solid, too. Sessionable as hell. I wasn't alive when this was originally brewed, so I can't vouch as to just how close they nailed the original, but if this is it down to a 'T', then Mr. McAuliffe was a true visionary, and I tip my cap to this 'grandfather' pale ale of his.

TheSixthRing, Apr 20, 2013

jmccraney, Apr 20, 2013

plumcrazyfx, Apr 19, 2013

goobysalad, Apr 19, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

DrunkinYogi, Apr 19, 2013
Samuel Adams New Albion Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)