Samuel Adams New Albion Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams New Albion AleSamuel Adams New Albion Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: auxiliary on 07-23-2007)
3.23/5  rDev -3.9%

A: pours a dark gold with a one inch head that dissipates quickly into a tulip glass. Although some have claimed it looks like an AAL. it is clearly darker than that.

S: light hoppy odor.

T: You can taste the hops but they are not very pronounced. There is an aftertaste that I found closer to a typical lager than I like.

M: Again, light to moderate with some nice tingly carbonation.

O: I had been looking forward to this one and prepared to love it. I enjoy nice balanced low ABV pale ales. I appreciate SA introducing this to the world again and giving us a chance to taste brewing history. But, alas, history was the best part of this. Don't get me wrong, this is not a drain pour.(As I work my way through the six pack it is getting better). It just didn't live up to they hype I had created in my head for this. I'll be sticking with my local pale ale from Natty Greene's but I would not hesitate to order this if I found it on draft somewhere - way better than BMC.

JimKal, Jan 25, 2013
3.49/5  rDev +3.9%

Tasted On: 01-25-2013
Freshness: Best by 07-2013
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Perfect pint
Purchased: Single from Whole Foods, Nashville

A: Starts with a big and white, creamy head sitting on the golden, clear beer. Great head retention and very good lacing makes for an attractive pour.

S: Aromas are of pale malts, slightly sweet, then hay-like and grassy hops.

T: The first taste yields a hop bite -- bitter but not too aggressive. Also has some peppery notes and a light malt sweetness.

M: Body is light with a medium amount of carbonation. Aftertastes are bitter and fairly dry.

O: Overall I think this was a cool project - I like reaching back into brewing's history. As far as the actual beer itself, it was a good effort. I'm glad to have tried it but would probably not seek it out again.

sommersb, Jan 25, 2013

tim21983, Jan 25, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

ridgeline23, Jan 25, 2013

Gatordaddy, Jan 24, 2013
2.58/5  rDev -23.2%

A: pale yellow w thin white head

S: light grain, slight maize/sulfur. could barely tell any hops were in there

T: similar to the aroma. crisp, lightly grainy, moderate bitterness, light floral hops. hops come out a bit more as you drink it

O: great for the 70s, mediocre for today. tastes like a BMC with a hint of hops. would be a nice stepping stone for macro drinkers into the world of craft beer

dcp27, Jan 24, 2013

RWACKO, Jan 24, 2013
3.39/5  rDev +0.9%

Straw-golden color. Thin white head.
Smells very mild. Some hops but not overpowering...Cascade?
Actually kind of picky on the tongue, like your dad's beer used to be. Not in a bad way either.
Dry finish.
I like it for what it is. A highly drinkable refreshing beer.

nebula1999, Jan 23, 2013
4.6/5  rDev +36.9%

A - Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter. Pours a very light amber with a little head.

S - noises floral with a hint of hops

T - semi dry hop taste with floral notes, sweet

M - Well carbonated, very light and refreshing. Very smooth well balanced malt

O - Great beer. I really enjoyed this beer.

Food pairing - I paired this beer up with a pineapple/honey glazed grilled chicken, white Colby cheese, sharp cheddar, and Terriyaki grilled pork tenderloin. All paired excellent with the beer.

bigdaddyd069, Jan 23, 2013

ToMakeEndsMeet, Jan 23, 2013
3.7/5  rDev +10.1%

I had this on-tap in a Sam Adams perfect pint glass at Special Brews in Lynnwood, WA.

Appearance: light orange hue with a hint of haze and a strong effervescence. Head is a thin finger of creamy white foam. Pretty nice!

Smell: light, sweet malt aroma; appealing but rather indistinct. Not much more to say here.

Taste: lightly tangy right up front with a fruity flavor reminiscent of like a perry or cider. Hops are bright and citrusy. There's a bit of farminess to it. It is good, but it feels muddled and a little bit funky for the style.

Mouthfeel: medium body with decent carbonation and a rocky creaminess. Pretty good.

Overall: a tasty and drinkable, if imperfect, pale ale. I would probably have it again. I bet it would pair excellently with stinky cheese.

flagmantho, Jan 22, 2013

CSQ1111, Jan 22, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

dvmin98, Jan 22, 2013

A - Clear copper-orange with a finger of frothy white head. Fades normal.

S - Citrus, orange, light grassy and floral hops, sweet bready, grainy, biscuit, and light caramel malts.

T - Orange, citrus, grassy, floral, noble hops, smooth bitterness, sweet grainy, bready, biscuit, and mild caramel malts.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a sweet, bitter, dry finish.

D - Nice balanced and smooth APA. Nice hop and malt balance.

ngeunit1, Jan 22, 2013
3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

Picked this up at City Beer Store last week $1.99. Have been really interested in trying this ever since I learned of the historic New Albion Brewing Company years ago.

Pours a brilliantly clear golden with a thick cap of white foam that collapsed down within roughly a minute. Aroma of lightly toasted malt and a tinge of floral-citrusy hop. Very modest grapefruit citrus presence. Initial cereal malt gives ay to a fruity hop and a light pine character. Dry finish with an emphasis on the piney hop flavor. Medium bodied with a moderate to medium-high level of carbonation.

While this may lack the ever-increasing hop flavor we're finding in today's APAs, this beer is very well-balanced and lends itself well to having a few pints. Cheers to Jack and Jim for bringing this one back to the market over 30 years later.

BrewerB, Jan 22, 2013

PEIhop, Jan 22, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Nizzle913, Jan 21, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

aminobutyricacid, Jan 21, 2013
3.64/5  rDev +8.3%

12oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Light golden color with great clarity. Creamy and pillowy white head boasts excellent retention. Delicate, sticky clumps of lacing. A good looking beer.

S: Very bready on the nose. Earthy and floral hop scent with a slight citric sharpness. Clean overall. Simple.

T: Husky grain, bready. Sharp hop bitterness interjects. Hop flavor is very gritty and earthy with a slight woody pine flavor. Slight earthy/nutty yeast. Grainy and bready in the finish with a moderate hop bitterness.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied. Very creamy. Moderate carbonation cuts through and adds a refreshing crispness.

O: New Albion is very clean overall, and actually somewhat lager-like in that respect. It's very simple, but also refreshing and easy to drink. It's easy to see how this beer would have made an impact in a world where macro lagers had a vice grip on the American beer market, but these days it shows its age. An easy quaff, but a little too simple and safe by today's standards.

ryan1788a5, Jan 21, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

nikbullet, Jan 21, 2013

rkcrozier, Jan 21, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

garrisonp, Jan 20, 2013
3.39/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Golden and crispy clear. I see many rising carbonation bubbles. White foam top, and straggly slick strings of lace.

S: Fresh cracker-like grains, and some light spicy citrus hops. Pretty simple. Fresh. Not bad, not exciting.

T: Good balance of chewy crackery malt and pine, citrus, and spicy hops. This beer is a-ok.

M: Slick with a bit of chewiness. Light bodied and easy to drink.

O: Not a bad beer....the freshness is key.

tastybeer, Jan 20, 2013
3.31/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a bright, sunny yellow color with a small, sticky white head. Wispy strings of lacing. Smell is very clean: cracker-like grain, floral and spicy hops, some dull citrus, and a bit of wood. Husky, grainy sweet flavor over some earthy hops. Somewhat dry and moderately bitter with a decent crispness. Not terrible, but honestly pretty forgettable by today's standards. Nice to try a piece of history though.

wedge, Jan 20, 2013
3.79/5  rDev +12.8%

I picked up a six pack of Samuel Adams New Albion Ale a few days ago for $7.69 at Meijers. I have never heard of New Albion before, they were way before my time, but I'm always down to try new beers and I'm in the mood for a Pale Ale today, so lets see how it goes. It was notched best by July 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty nice and well done, it has a nice classic look to it. It poured a nice lighter golden color that took on some good darker golden hues when held to the light with two fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with the malts which have a medium amount of sweetness to them and impart a really grainy, bready and doughy aroma. After that comes the hops which do a decent job at balancing out the malts and impart a floral and spicy aroma with a nice noticeable lemon aroma. The aroma was nice, it was very balanced and the lemon was a nice and unexpected addition.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to aroma and it starts off with some nice malts which have a medium amount of sweetness to them and impart a grainy, doughy, bready, and some biscuit like flavors. After that comes a nice medium lemon flavor followed by a some earthy, spicy, and slightly floral hops that make for a nice mixture that isn't too dominating and it provides good balance. It had a lighter aroma of bitterness with a bready and slightly spicy hop like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting American Pale Ale that was well balanced.

M- Smooth, crisp, dry, medium bodied, with a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and it was pretty true to style.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a good example of a classic American Pale Ale, with just enough hops to provide a light amount of bitterness and it balances out the malts nicely, in my eyes this is just what a traditional American Pale Ale should be. It had good drinkability to it, it was smooth, with just enough flavors to hold my attention, I could drink a few of these when in the mood and this would make for a nice and inexpensive six pack to take to a party or BBQ. What I like the most about this beer was how balanced it was, to me with this style balance is the key and this beer did a good job at keeping things balanced. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't anything that I would change, it's fine just the way it is. I would buy this beer again and I recommend it to just about anyone, it's not nearly as in your face as some of these new and fancy APA's but that's fine with me cause I can appreciate the balance of a good APA. All in all I enjoyed this beer and I'm glad I took a chance on it, I could see keeping some of these around for when some friends who aren't big craft beer drinkers come over. Good job Samuel Adams, thinks for bringing back this classic that I never knew about, who would have thought a new beer could lead to a history lesson, but that's what happened with this beer and I'm glad I learned about it.

StoutHunter, Jan 20, 2013
Samuel Adams New Albion Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)