Samuel Adams Irish Red - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Irish RedSamuel Adams Irish Red

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Irish Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: WilliamPhilaPa on 08-24-2007

Pale and Caramel malts, and East Kent Goldings hops.
Reviews: 972 | Hads: 2,388
Reviews by edchicma:
3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Very nice head and lacing with a pleasing caramel red color. Smell is malt, malt and more malt with a slight hint of hops. Taste has malt sweetness, but not cloying...some hop undertones..just enough dryness for balance. Mouthfeel is a good balance of smoothness with a hint of dryness. Very easy on the drinkability scale. Not a session brew, but a couple go down quite nicely. (378 characters)

Simply the best I've had (24 characters)

Pours to a beige head that lasts and laces. Color is a maroonish red hue. Aroma is toasty, caramel, sweet malt and spicy, earthy hops. Flavor is more of the same with a toffee-like finish. Overall a very good Red. (214 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Once I poured the beer into my chilly pint glass the appearance of the brew completely blew me away. As I leaned in to take a whiff I enjoyed the nutty, sweet smell. Quite enjoyable. Outstanding, even before I had really gotten down to business. The taste is a bit disappointing after all that, I find that this has a more alcoholic taste than other sam adams brews. On top of this I feel almost cheated, after a great smell and appearance I feel as if the taste is missing an element. Sweet, then almost borderline bitter watery alcoholic taste is how I can put it.
Yes I would drink it again, yes there are better beers, yes there are far worse beers. (653 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Liked this beer better than Killians. Very drinkable, not filling. Will buy again (82 characters)

Best by date of 05.2014.
Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tumbler on 02.08.14.

A: Deep red. Very see through.

S: Caramel. Very malty is it should be.

T: Follows the nose but with a touch of slight bitterness.

M: Crisp. Very bubbly.

O: This was a caramel bomb. The bitterness was barely noticeable, and nicely balanced the malt. This was interesting to try against the ambers that I've had. It was a simple beer, but good. (427 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pretty good beer for Samuel Adams (33 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Look: It's Red. Poured into a Sam Adams pint, it poured with about a finger of head which quickly fades. Like I said, it's red, but with a copper tone to it.

Smell: I first smell strawberries. It has a very sweet sugary scent. a touch of caramel.

Taste: A very forward caramel flavor, with a hint of fruitiness, strawberry's, cherry's. Very refreshing!

Feel: Very easy to drink, light bodied and medium carbonation.

Overall: I'm very satisfied with this brew. It's really much better than the ratings suggest, in my opinion. (530 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A very drinkable beer that I'll have a couple times a year. Nothing special, but better than a few other irish reds out there. A decent Sam year-round. (151 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Full bodied Irish with caramel notes. (37 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -18.8%

A: Deep reddish brown with small head

S: I get some malty sweetness, a little fruity, cherryness

T: Rich malty sweetness gives way to a fruity, cherry flavor in the middle of the taste, light sweetness in the aftertaste.

M: Medium, good carbonation

O: A decent beer but that weird cherry flavor in the middle throws it off a little for me. (344 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +8.6%

I liked this Red Ale, looks good, intense ruby red, smells great with caramel notes and malt, and tastes balanced and refreshing, nice beer. (140 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

samuel adams irish red is cool. (31 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Overall I found that the appearance of this brew is red amberish and had a wonderful color for a Irish type ale.

Smell: to my nose it had a nice smell of roasted malts with a mixed smell of a toasted nuts.

Taste: Had a slight malty flavored with a small hoppy flavor which didn't overpower the flavor of the brew I also had a slight toasted nut flavor at the back of the throat.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel was smooth and and medium bodied. carbonation was ok However I would prefer a tad more carbonation with this brew.

Overall: Overall I found this brew to be a awesome staple to add to your beer list if you haven't tried it. Also I do like this brew and do keep it in my pantry during the spring and summer when it is in supply locally. I recommend this brew to anyone who prefers an irish style ale and want an easy slight into this type of beer and I find it will not overpower your tastes

*note: I am not a professional beer taster, the opinions in this review are mine and mine alone. (1,011 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -15.2%

Sampled tonight on 7/17/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a Sam Adam's pint glass.

Pours a pretty dark russet amber in color with a thin white head. Some spotty lacing was seen but not a lot. The aroma is of roasted malts with a hint of caramel and nuts. The taste was mostly of malt with a slight hoppy bitter finish that lingered a bit. Medium bodied with good carbonation. Overall, it was OK but nothing special in my book. (467 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A phenominal pour into a standars pint,a clear rich amber with a well formed 1 1/2 finger slight off white head that settled leaving a few broken bits of lace.Pleasant but milder aromas a touch of caramel/butter and a firm toastiness mainly,again light but pleasant flavors softly sweet and malty lingering caramel and fruit with a hint herbal zip in the finish all along the firm toasty grain presence is there.A real quaffer its mild but the flavors are nice a nice change of pace from in your face brews and incredibly drinkable,well done SA. (545 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a pilsner glass. Poured a deep amber with a medium, pale head. I smell the amber malt, maybe some earthy hops? Tastes smooth with a little malt sweetness. 5.5% ABV was well hidden but absolutely felt. The hops are earthy, and clean up the malt nicely. Not cloying, very drinkable thanks to a dry finish. Kinda feel like this is just an American amber but with English hops, but what do I know. Its good, would like to try on tap. I'm liking the direction that Sammy is taking. (488 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -3%

3.86/5  rDev +6.9%

As I poured this into a wide mouth glass, I noted the deep rich red color. The aroma was pleasant with a hint of hops, but there was nothing that stood out as particularly interesting. The first taste was nice...full of body but not overbearing; malty but balanced; smooth as it rolls over the tongue. The ale finished with a balance that was just as good, with just enough linger to remind you of the caramel and hops.

I very much enjoyed this ale! More than once I remarked that this is probably my new favorite red. It's the kind of drink that you can take in any time and enjoy it. (587 characters)

Beer review from BA Mag Aug 2007.

Two of two for the next new beer that may make it into the Sam Adams lineup as part of their "Beer Lover's Choice" tasting competition, for which consumer voting starts this August. This one and the Dunkelweizen were selected from a group of four beers.

Minimal head, and it's lacking a bit in retention, though there is a ring of lace that does not waver even after a few hearty gulps. Slight haze in the deep amber brew--we thought this beer could have been a shade darker, with a tinge of red to it. Buttery, fruity, malty, faint caramel aroma--so we definitely know the yeast worked on this beer. Smooth with a medium body. Buttery on the palate, tending toward the sweet-malty side, with a quick draw of modest hop bitterness. The buttery character is hard to shake even with its toasty and caramel malt backbone. Finishes a little dry.

Mezza mezza, though with not that many Irish Reds in the market, it stacks up to be pretty good within its style. If it were up to us, we'd pick the Dunkelweizen over this one. (1,055 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +1.9%

A - Pours a very clean dark amber. Big frothy head with little carbonation.

S - Estery, first think I smelled while pouring was bananas. Followed by a nice malty aroma, but slightly metallic.

T - More esters, tasted the banana and then a red licorice flavor with some sweetness from the caramel malts. Malty with some residual sweetness, but not cloying. Keep thinking I am tasting red vines in there. I like red vines, but in a beer is a little weird.

M - Creamy, viscous, smooth. Not much tingle of C02 or alcohol.

D - Good session beer. Not spectacular, but a lot of times spectacular becomes tiring when drinking more than more. (636 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

2.83/5  rDev -21.6%

Got this in a variety pack, reddish in color, white read, very mild body lighter than other reds, smooth, not much of an aftertaste, smell slightly sweet, not overly impressed, good for the style, very basic, nothing to crazy, would drink it again if in the mood for an IRA, but never really in the mood for an IRA (314 characters)

Samuel Adams Irish Red from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)