Samuel Adams Irish Red - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Irish RedSamuel Adams Irish Red

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Irish Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

Pale and Caramel malts, and East Kent Goldings hops.

(Beer added by: WilliamPhilaPa on 08-24-2007)
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
3.2/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

There are several “boring” and “generic” beers in our fridge right now. This is one of them. It’s the Samuel Adams Irish Red. Sam Adams, produced and brewed by the Boston Beer Company, is a good starting point for folks wanting to get into craft beer. But it’s nothing to write home about. That doesn’t mean they don’t have some beers worth writing home about… they do. But this isn’t one of them.

In the Glass: The beer produces an impressive white head. For a beer that is not only affordable, but to be considered a typical “Sam Adams beer”, I am impressed by this. I also got a whiff from the bottle while I was pouring. The beer did overflow when I opened it, but that might just be because of the transport from Indiana to the Valley of the Sun.

Nose: Like I said, I could smell this as soon as I opened the bottle. If the nose is doing anything, it is giving me some subtle sweet notes. That’s about it. We are drinking this right out of the fridge, and I worry that it would only get worse as it warms up. This isn’t a typical craft beer that you need to take time to appreciate. (I really hope this doesn’t sound like I am destroying Sam Adams here.)

Flavor: You know, for the price… this beer is actually pretty great. It has a VERY sweet start and finishes strong. The sweetness is quick to disappear, but I am stoked to experience the sweetness that I didn’t expect. This is just a lot sweeter than I expected. I wonder what other Irish reds out there compete with this one…

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is nice. There aren’t a lot of bubbles, and it quickly floats across the top of the tongue. When I swish it around a little bit, the carbonation explodes on the palate. But even then it’s not unbearable.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is nice. It’s also sweet, but it doesn’t last very long. For a beer that is only $6.99 for 6, I would happily introduce this to someone that says, “What does a barleywine taste like?” It has that smoothness you get from a barleywine, but doesn’t provide the same levels of complexity a good barleywine would deliver.

I have to admit, I was’t very excited when we picked this bottle tonight. But I am glad we did. I have never been let down by Sam Adams, and this one (from their traditional portfolio of beers that includes the Sam Adams Boston Lager) I am quite happy with the end result. Granted, this isn’t a beer I would typically order. It’s the style, more than anything. But I will keep this in mind the next time I tailgate for insert sporting event here. Bottoms up, people!

Samuel Adams Irish Red – The bottle says: “This rich and malty ale originated in Ireland in 1710. I has a deep red color and distinctive caramel flavor from its pale and caramel malts. The malt sweetness is balanced by the earthy notes of the East Kent Golding hops. Cheers!”

3.8/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A phenominal pour into a standars pint,a clear rich amber with a well formed 1 1/2 finger slight off white head that settled leaving a few broken bits of lace.Pleasant but milder aromas a touch of caramel/butter and a firm toastiness mainly,again light but pleasant flavors softly sweet and malty lingering caramel and fruit with a hint herbal zip in the finish all along the firm toasty grain presence is there.A real quaffer its mild but the flavors are nice a nice change of pace from in your face brews and incredibly drinkable,well done SA.

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured into a pilsner glass. Poured a deep amber with a medium, pale head. I smell the amber malt, maybe some earthy hops? Tastes smooth with a little malt sweetness. 5.5% ABV was well hidden but absolutely felt. The hops are earthy, and clean up the malt nicely. Not cloying, very drinkable thanks to a dry finish. Kinda feel like this is just an American amber but with English hops, but what do I know. Its good, would like to try on tap. I'm liking the direction that Sammy is taking.

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

3.9/5  rDev +12.7%

As I poured this into a wide mouth glass, I noted the deep rich red color. The aroma was pleasant with a hint of hops, but there was nothing that stood out as particularly interesting. The first taste was nice...full of body but not overbearing; malty but balanced; smooth as it rolls over the tongue. The ale finished with a balance that was just as good, with just enough linger to remind you of the caramel and hops.

I very much enjoyed this ale! More than once I remarked that this is probably my new favorite red. It's the kind of drink that you can take in any time and enjoy it.

Beer review from BA Mag Aug 2007.

Two of two for the next new beer that may make it into the Sam Adams lineup as part of their "Beer Lover's Choice" tasting competition, for which consumer voting starts this August. This one and the Dunkelweizen were selected from a group of four beers.

Minimal head, and it's lacking a bit in retention, though there is a ring of lace that does not waver even after a few hearty gulps. Slight haze in the deep amber brew--we thought this beer could have been a shade darker, with a tinge of red to it. Buttery, fruity, malty, faint caramel aroma--so we definitely know the yeast worked on this beer. Smooth with a medium body. Buttery on the palate, tending toward the sweet-malty side, with a quick draw of modest hop bitterness. The buttery character is hard to shake even with its toasty and caramel malt backbone. Finishes a little dry.

Mezza mezza, though with not that many Irish Reds in the market, it stacks up to be pretty good within its style. If it were up to us, we'd pick the Dunkelweizen over this one.

3.68/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Pours a very clean dark amber. Big frothy head with little carbonation.

S - Estery, first think I smelled while pouring was bananas. Followed by a nice malty aroma, but slightly metallic.

T - More esters, tasted the banana and then a red licorice flavor with some sweetness from the caramel malts. Malty with some residual sweetness, but not cloying. Keep thinking I am tasting red vines in there. I like red vines, but in a beer is a little weird.

M - Creamy, viscous, smooth. Not much tingle of C02 or alcohol.

D - Good session beer. Not spectacular, but a lot of times spectacular becomes tiring when drinking more than more.

4.25/5  rDev +22.8%

2.85/5  rDev -17.6%

Got this in a variety pack, reddish in color, white read, very mild body lighter than other reds, smooth, not much of an aftertaste, smell slightly sweet, not overly impressed, good for the style, very basic, nothing to crazy, would drink it again if in the mood for an IRA, but never really in the mood for an IRA

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Very pleasant beer, and a good session beer. A 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Dark cherry color, with a medium tan head and a good amount of lacing. Sweet malty aroma, some caramel too. The taste was more caramel, but the fruitiness was there too. Drying hops finish. Will have it again.

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

3.98/5  rDev +15%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Its body is dark reddish copper in color and it has nice clarity. The head is average size, light tan in color and fades down to thin covering.

Smell: The aroma is sweet and malty with hints of caramel and toffee.

Taste/Mouth feel: The favor is much the same as the aroma with a malty character and light mild hops in the background. Its finish is smooth and clean with a medium body and a smooth creamy texture.

Notes: This is a very easy drinking beer with simple pleasing flavor.

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

4.1/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours a bright amber/reddish color with an immense tan head. Great retention as well as lacing. Smell is of sweet caramel malts, pineapple, earthy/spicy, citrusy. Taste is very spicy malty, earthy, fruity, bitter finish and an ever so quaint touch of peat. Medium body, well carbonated, dry finish. Pretty drinkable. This one turned out better than I had expected it to be.

4.1/5  rDev +18.5%

A- Nice reddish amber color, tan head that recedes and doesnt leave much around the sides of the glass

S- Caramel malts, a hint of fruit, and some citrus hops

T- Nice citrus hop taste at first, earthy, slightly hoppy, and a slight fruit taste

M- Light to medium body, nice carbonation, great mouthfeel.

D-Could be a little bodler, but very good for the style. Will definatley buy again, one of Sam Adams better beers.

3.95/5  rDev +14.2%

Bottle pours a clear copper body with a small beige head that strews some respectable lacing on the glass. Aroma is toasted caramel, red apple skins, and spicy hops. Light medium body is moderately carbonated. Taste mirrors the aroma, with toasted caramel malt and a bittering spicy hop profile. Some earthiness is also noted. Very nice example of the style and pleasantly drinkable.

3.54/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, best before dating notched onto the side of the label (May 2014)

Pours ruby hued amber, supports a typical tan head, that lasts nicely, and leaves low ringed sheeting.

Sweet malts on the nose and then on the palate....some roasted notes and plenty of sweet caramel. British/mellow hops dry out the finish and provide the balance. Ehh, nothing special, but not terrible. Drinkable and serviceable every day/middle of the road kinda ale

2.8/5  rDev -19.1%

Appearance: Amber and clear, small head, which disappears quickly

Smell: malts light grain--I did not think this beer had a particularly strong smell

Taste: I got a slightly bitter first taste and a stronger bitter finish

Mouthfeel: very smooth, slightly bitter aftertaste

Drinkability: I could see this being a session beer for those that like Irish Reds, but I will not be searching for this. I like Sam Adams, but believe they have better offerings.

3.68/5  rDev +6.4%

The beer pours a reddish color with an off-white head. A nice looking beer overall. The aroma is classic red ale with notes of toffee and caramel, as well as some grassy hops. The flavor is dominated by the toffee, caramel and biscuit malt notes. I also get some light cocoa and some grassy hops. The beer has a slight bit of bitterness to it, but it is fairly sweet tasting overall. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. I am not usually a fan of Irish Red Ales, but this one is not bad at all. Definitely one of the best that I have tried.

Samuel Adams Irish Red from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)