Samuel Adams Irish Red - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Irish RedSamuel Adams Irish Red

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Irish Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

Pale and Caramel malts, and East Kent Goldings hops.

(Beer added by: WilliamPhilaPa on 08-24-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Irish Red Alström Bros

jferrara35, Jan 13, 2014

Bailey316, Jun 18, 2014

Charlie91, Jun 28, 2014

spikechiquet, Dec 22, 2012
4.89/5  rDev +41.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Awesome beer, I can't believe some of the reviews on this one.

Caramel! ....thats it! ....and dam good caramel flavor.

My neighbor brewed some and did a taste test with three others ... this beer was the best by far...and over a signature "Irish Red". They got this one down.

FlatRabbitRed, Jan 26, 2013
4.85/5  rDev +40.2%

Had to pick up a sixer after reading the rave reviews here on the site. And after all, the Boston brewery is considered one of the old standby's along with Anchor, Sierra.

S - Very nice chocolate covered cherries with backing of those earthy Golding's hops, not quite enough hop aroma to give it a five, however that's not really fair to say given the style which is typically more malty than hoppy.

T - WOW !!! A rare and perfect balance between the malt and hops. I wish there were more beer's available like this one. Toasty and ripe caramel malt's followed up by a generous addition of peppery hop's. I also get a somewhat bready and crackery feeling as well, slightly pretzel like too.

Truly a session beer, and an awesome one at that. I wish they brewed this year round, as this would be a staple in my fridge. Glad I listened to my fellow B'A's on this one. As this is definately one great beer. Another hit from the boy's at Boston !!!

hopman333, Mar 07, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +38.2%

It's got a nice reddish brown appearance, has a nice sweet smell and a great taste. It goes down really smooth. It's Samuel Adams and it's a given that's its going to be amazing, that's my biased for Samuel Adams is my favorite beer company. Them and Weihenstapfener.

steanu, Apr 05, 2010

yuenglingfan101, Apr 30, 2014

TEAMHOLT, Nov 14, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +37.3%

A deep red caramel color with a thick foamy head that settles down pretty quick, but leaves a little foam remaining until the beer was gone.

It has a very sweet smell with an aroma of earthy hops, and a slight hint of fruitiness.

A very sweet malty flavor (but not heavy), with a slight toasted malt flavor towards the end. I also pick up some light fruity flavors if you mix it around your mouth a little.

It's very smooth and coats the mouth nicely. A fair amount of carbonation. The finish is slightly dry, but not too much.

I could drink this beer all day.

Kallessin, Feb 03, 2008

StaindProject86, Mar 10, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +35.8%

I wasn't expecting much from this brew, even though I'm always pleased by BBC's different style experiments, but this brew struck me quite nicely!

The caramel malts balanced well with the English hops made this smooth and drinkable. Not in your face, not over the top, yet not so sublime that you forget you're drinking it. Very nice drink, and just about dead-on to style, with a head that may have been too thick, actually -- but that's not a complaint with this beer.

If you want to taste how Killians ought to, grab this one while you can.

steveh, Feb 27, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +34.4%

Appearance - A ruby body with a white head that leaves some nice lacing.

Aroma - Earthy, grassy hops, with some pale malt in the background.

Taste - Earthy hops, and some lingering malt.

Finish - dry, crisp, refreshing, delicious.

This is a good beer.

JoLight, Jul 31, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +33.8%

A good beer from koch, brilliant red color, round and deep taste, floral and crushed hops smell.

I try this with a mexican enchiladas, and is the best thing that i do, the light chile flavor and the rounded irish red beer combined is the mos beautiful thing in south the border.

95% recommended.

tesguino, Apr 21, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

My first ever BA review... there was some debate about which beer to pick, but after several tastings this has become my standby, and I can't imagine a better one. I personally don't care much for appearance or smell... I think they're given a bit too much weight in the rating, so I'll focus on what i know.

Taste: Sweet but in a rich way. Caramel is present right away, slowly fading away to a more earthy taste. Rich bread tastes, not the light bread of lagers but dark rye or strong sourdough baguette. This taste is so full and lasts a while, I'm still salivating 10 seconds after the sip. I almost want to chew the beer, it has such a grain taste. It's not as complex as a Trappist, but the flavors are extremely well balanced and leave you wanting more.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: goes down very easy, but the taste is there the whole time. You couldn't possibly describe it as watery, but you could chug it almost as easily as water, though it'd be a waste. Irish red ale and Vienna red lager are my favorite styles for combination of drinkability and taste. It's definitely smooth. There is noticeable but not strong carbonation.

I have had more complex beers that I know were "better" without being able to put my finger on quite why. I can't think of anything I would really want to improve about this beer. It's like a classic family dish, pot roast or lasagna. Not a 5 star restaurant, but rich and flavorful, and you'll never get tired of it.

$6.99 for a six pack across the border in Delaware, I can keep myself regularly stocked on a college student budget.

SanFranceIsco, Dec 07, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +32.9%

A - More brown than red. Mahogany with a red tint. Head was small and faded fast.

S - Great mix of malts and hops with fruit accents. Peaches and Pears?

T - Excellent combination of flavors that blend together with ease. Nothing stands out alone. Fruits and malts with a hop finish leaving a slightly bitter after taste.

M - Slightly carbonated with a medium body. Slick on the tongue and lingers for a second.

D - Great great beer. I would love to try this on tap somewhere. I love the brewmaster's packs from Sam Adams. There are always great beers included in the set and I believe they nailed the Irish Red. 100% Should give this a shot when you find it. I am pretty sure you will love it too.

osi, Mar 20, 2008
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12 ounce bottle bought locally with July 2008 date. Very nice ruby color poured into a Sam Adams glass, smells great and taste the same. A very well balanced beer with excellent taste, this beer moves to the top of my favorites list...would and did buy another. :)

unionturf, Feb 26, 2008
Samuel Adams Irish Red from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)