Samuel Adams Irish Red - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Irish RedSamuel Adams Irish Red

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Irish Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

Pale and Caramel malts, and East Kent Goldings hops.

(Beer added by: WilliamPhilaPa on 08-24-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Irish Red Alström Bros
3.2/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

There are several “boring” and “generic” beers in our fridge right now. This is one of them. It’s the Samuel Adams Irish Red. Sam Adams, produced and brewed by the Boston Beer Company, is a good starting point for folks wanting to get into craft beer. But it’s nothing to write home about. That doesn’t mean they don’t have some beers worth writing home about… they do. But this isn’t one of them.

In the Glass: The beer produces an impressive white head. For a beer that is not only affordable, but to be considered a typical “Sam Adams beer”, I am impressed by this. I also got a whiff from the bottle while I was pouring. The beer did overflow when I opened it, but that might just be because of the transport from Indiana to the Valley of the Sun.

Nose: Like I said, I could smell this as soon as I opened the bottle. If the nose is doing anything, it is giving me some subtle sweet notes. That’s about it. We are drinking this right out of the fridge, and I worry that it would only get worse as it warms up. This isn’t a typical craft beer that you need to take time to appreciate. (I really hope this doesn’t sound like I am destroying Sam Adams here.)

Flavor: You know, for the price… this beer is actually pretty great. It has a VERY sweet start and finishes strong. The sweetness is quick to disappear, but I am stoked to experience the sweetness that I didn’t expect. This is just a lot sweeter than I expected. I wonder what other Irish reds out there compete with this one…

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is nice. There aren’t a lot of bubbles, and it quickly floats across the top of the tongue. When I swish it around a little bit, the carbonation explodes on the palate. But even then it’s not unbearable.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is nice. It’s also sweet, but it doesn’t last very long. For a beer that is only $6.99 for 6, I would happily introduce this to someone that says, “What does a barleywine taste like?” It has that smoothness you get from a barleywine, but doesn’t provide the same levels of complexity a good barleywine would deliver.

I have to admit, I was’t very excited when we picked this bottle tonight. But I am glad we did. I have never been let down by Sam Adams, and this one (from their traditional portfolio of beers that includes the Sam Adams Boston Lager) I am quite happy with the end result. Granted, this isn’t a beer I would typically order. It’s the style, more than anything. But I will keep this in mind the next time I tailgate for insert sporting event here. Bottoms up, people!

Samuel Adams Irish Red – The bottle says: “This rich and malty ale originated in Ireland in 1710. I has a deep red color and distinctive caramel flavor from its pale and caramel malts. The malt sweetness is balanced by the earthy notes of the East Kent Golding hops. Cheers!”

rickyleepotts, Jul 30, 2012
3.48/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured from a bottle into a Samuel Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Upon the pour, you get a nice, fluffy, tan-colored head that soon slims down. The color is -- well -- red, and there's no haze, as this is filtered (to be expected, I suppose).

Smell: Roasted malt. Smokiness. That's all that I get. Maybe some of the earthiness that's described on the label, as well. There's nothing else there for me.

Taste: Much like the smell, but with virtually no aftertaste... very slight roast malt lingers, but the majority is just bitterness.

Mouthfeel: I like it. Pretty low carbonation, and it's like the head... feels fluffy, creamy, smooth.

Overall, this is a decent beer. Not my favorite style, but I'd drink it if I had to. The ABV is also a decent 5.80%, so there's even more reason to take a bottle.

Alextricity, Jul 29, 2012

ChrisL24481, Jul 16, 2012

ssjkyle, Jul 14, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a good beer, I normally stick with IPAs, but I wasn't the one buying. I was really surprised with the flavor. I don't have many Irish Reds to compare it to. So to anyone that is going from high end IPAs and wants to try something else this is a good choice in my opinion.

Sam Adam's has always made a good beer in any style. I don't think I'd place them in the best for any beer that I have had the pleasure of having several brands of that style, but they are always fairly high on my list. They may very well top the pleasure per dollar spent ratio of many styles I enjoy.

I am looking forward to trying other Irish Reds after this one.

pixaal, Jul 13, 2012

Dizzy242, Jul 08, 2012

dextermcgurk, Jul 08, 2012

jbaker67, Jul 06, 2012

Bryfind, Jul 06, 2012
Samuel Adams Irish Red from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)