Samuel Adams Irish Red - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Irish RedSamuel Adams Irish Red

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Irish Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: WilliamPhilaPa on 08-24-2007

Pale and Caramel malts, and East Kent Goldings hops.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Irish Red Alström Bros
4.57/5  rDev +32.1%

A good beer from koch, brilliant red color, round and deep taste, floral and crushed hops smell.

I try this with a mexican enchiladas, and is the best thing that i do, the light chile flavor and the rounded irish red beer combined is the mos beautiful thing in south the border.

95% recommended.

4.57/5  rDev +32.1%

A: A reddish brown cooper color with a sizeable tan head.Looked very nice

S: Sweet smelling beer with a hint of caramel and malts.

T: The taste blew me away,it's got a warm taste to it which makes it best suited for fall and winter in my opinion.Very smooth and creamy but with a small amount of "spicy" bitterness.

M: Good mouth feel, nothing negative to say here.

D: Very drinkable. For an Irish Red this one ranks up there as one of the best in my opinion. Easy to drink and goes down nicely.

4.53/5  rDev +30.9%

The look of this beer is fantastic. LIttle head, very red look to it. The smell is of some kind of fruilt, maybe a blend of fruits. I just cant place it, but damn if it doesnt smell great. Mouthfeel is a bit watery but not grossly so. Taste...mmm. I can say that it tastes even better than it smells. I still cant place the citrusy/fruity taste but my taste buds like it a lot. The hops is there but not overpowering thankfully. Absoloutly no bitterness found in any part of the taste either. Usually with most sams, i get some kind of bitterness, either up front or after, but this i have absoloutly none.

I will buy this again, maybe even take the place of my current favorite.

4.52/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a crimson red with an off-white to white head that laces pretty well and succumbs to a thin but relentless layer of head. The nose smells strongly of cherry and nutty malt sweetness; almost identical to an amaretto. Taste falls into the same description as the nose. Mouthfeel is bright and has a polished carbonation. Overall, this beer is dead on to the style and is as easily quaffed as it is dissected and relished. I'm thinking this and Guinness make for a nice staple of cases for my St. Patty's get togethers.

4.48/5  rDev +29.5%

A: It is a copper/red colored beer whose foam is tan. The foam is tall and short lived; in some cases it completely disappeared.

S: Sweet deliciousness.

T: The taste of this beer is amazing! I believe the caramel malt flavor is what makes this beer so delicious. It is a sweet beer however the sweetness is not overbearing; you will still think you're drinkin' a beer.

M: Smooth and Refreshing.

D: These don't last too long in my house and therefore received a perfect score in the drinkability category.

4.45/5  rDev +28.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I'm either feeling generous or this is a really good beer. Pours a deep garnet color with i inch tan head that reduces to a ring and lacing with some islands. Smell is mostly malty and honey like with a hint of of earthy spice. Taste is the same with a bit more hops bitterness to offset the sweetness of the brew. I get some carmel apple in there too. A bit of oil to the mouthfeel.

I put off buying this because the few offerings of the style didn't impress me. This is really nice.

4.43/5  rDev +28%

Poured into a Pilsner I picked up as a freebie with the 6er of the Sam Adams Irish Red I'm reviewing all amber/dark beers in this glass from now on.

A - Absolutely gorgeous amber body, arousing carbonation, and 3 finger head that diminishes over the course of drinking the glass leaving a detailed lace behind, reminding you of every sip you took.

S - Rich caramel malty goodness endowed with some sweet molasses on the end.

T - Caramel malts put on a show and absolutely work well with the advertised East Kent Goldings hops. Sam Adams has made a very loyal customer out of me.

M - Absolutely perfect carbonation, there's a little thickness and there's enough left on the palate for your senses to beg for more.

D - Superb beer at a good price. I'm HIGHLY recommending this to my beer-drinking friends!

I glanced at the presentation on the first pour and rushed through the scent to taste it on my first two bottles, but on the third I slowed enough to write this review. Every sip I took I was almost convinced that I've found my favorite beer. I had fallen in love with the mainstream Irish Red (Killian's) and I knew that I'd have to find another Irish Red when I got into actually caring about the beer I was drinking. I know there are others out there, and I'm hoping they can beat this one, but wow this is a great Irish Red.

4.43/5  rDev +28%

pours out a nice looking auburn type colour, with a thin rocky head and chunky lace. sweet aroma...along the lines of some of ripe fruit and brown sugar. very inviting. the flavour is richly malty, with thick toffee and caramel notes, with an underlying spiciness that is quite earthen and herbal in nature from the EKG hops. heartily sweet but finishes dry. almost perfect. a thick body and full, luscious mouthfeel really round out and complete this delightful ale. drinkability is great. this just tastes delicious. i really dig this beer.

i am amazingly impressed by this new beer from SA. it's a great take on the style and should be a staple in every beer drinkers diet at this time of year. definitely recommended!

4.42/5  rDev +27.7%

First time trying this, let's see how it is:

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

Appearance: Dark amber/red in color, hence the name, minimal head that dissapates quickly, perfect coloring for this style, excellent dark yellow lacing for such a small head.

Smell: Cranberry notes stand out big here, as well as a caramel afterbite. Earthy yet very invigorating. Compared to a Killians, the smell of this is miles ahead of alot of other red's.

Taste: Surprisingly excellent! This doesn't give away a huge portion of the "red bite" you get from alot of other red's like Killians or Mendocino's Red Tail Ale, but that's not a bad thing at all. This beer has nice floral notes that stand out, and the caramel kick in the end is terrific. Fruity, yet balanced perfectly with the caramel hops.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, mild carbonation, and pretty refreshing. Very nice body to this one.

Drinkability: Easily alot more drinkable then alot of other red ales, I can easily sesh a 6 pack of these. Very drinkable without having a boring taste, Boston Beer Company does it again! Good work.

Samuel Adams Irish Red from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)