Samuel Adams Irish Red - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Irish RedSamuel Adams Irish Red

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Irish Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

Pale and Caramel malts, and East Kent Goldings hops.

(Beer added by: WilliamPhilaPa on 08-24-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Irish Red Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A nice surprise at the local beer store... getting in the mood for the third week of March, '08!

Served at fridge temperature in an imperial pint glass, best before July of this year.

Appearance- A gorgeous four finger head billows high over the deep, clear russet beer... the staying power of the crown alone is fantastic. Craggy and rugged, it laces heavily down the glass... Beautiful and one of the best I've seen for this style.

Smell- The East Kent Goldings hops almost fool me into betting this is an English pale ale... unbelievably fresh hop aromas combine with a gentle caramel malt nose and perfumy, floral character. Absolutely engaging.

Taste- Malty goodness abounds, laying a delicate sweetness across the tongue. As it opens, the hops bring the hardness and snap that balances out the malts perfectly. A bready fullness rounds out the finish and really slams the lid on a terrific ride. This beer is winning in all categories so far, and it's about to continue.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Designed as an all-day session brew for the big green holiday? Maybe... all I know is it's dynamic and easy at the same time, showing off the ingredients well and having enough balls to stand up to corned beef and cabbage with extra boiled potatoes. Way more impressive than I'd ever imagined for an unfairly perceived "boring" or ordinary style.

yelterdow, Feb 28, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +32.6%

A: A reddish brown cooper color with a sizeable tan head.Looked very nice

S: Sweet smelling beer with a hint of caramel and malts.

T: The taste blew me away,it's got a warm taste to it which makes it best suited for fall and winter in my opinion.Very smooth and creamy but with a small amount of "spicy" bitterness.

M: Good mouth feel, nothing negative to say here.

D: Very drinkable. For an Irish Red this one ranks up there as one of the best in my opinion. Easy to drink and goes down nicely.

Tee76, Oct 14, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +32%

The look of this beer is fantastic. LIttle head, very red look to it. The smell is of some kind of fruilt, maybe a blend of fruits. I just cant place it, but damn if it doesnt smell great. Mouthfeel is a bit watery but not grossly so. Taste...mmm. I can say that it tastes even better than it smells. I still cant place the citrusy/fruity taste but my taste buds like it a lot. The hops is there but not overpowering thankfully. Absoloutly no bitterness found in any part of the taste either. Usually with most sams, i get some kind of bitterness, either up front or after, but this i have absoloutly none.

I will buy this again, maybe even take the place of my current favorite.

blatherbeard, Feb 21, 2008

tallfellapgh, Mar 13, 2013

HollandTunnels, Nov 22, 2011

cjoan24, Feb 07, 2012

allensr, Feb 16, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a crimson red with an off-white to white head that laces pretty well and succumbs to a thin but relentless layer of head. The nose smells strongly of cherry and nutty malt sweetness; almost identical to an amaretto. Taste falls into the same description as the nose. Mouthfeel is bright and has a polished carbonation. Overall, this beer is dead on to the style and is as easily quaffed as it is dissected and relished. I'm thinking this and Guinness make for a nice staple of cases for my St. Patty's get togethers.

ClassicBrad, Jan 20, 2012

monaquee, Apr 15, 2012

jekane04, Jan 25, 2012

mmcenrue, Jun 03, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +29.7%

A: It is a copper/red colored beer whose foam is tan. The foam is tall and short lived; in some cases it completely disappeared.

S: Sweet deliciousness.

T: The taste of this beer is amazing! I believe the caramel malt flavor is what makes this beer so delicious. It is a sweet beer however the sweetness is not overbearing; you will still think you're drinkin' a beer.

M: Smooth and Refreshing.

D: These don't last too long in my house and therefore received a perfect score in the drinkability category.

nickspagnolo, Oct 05, 2009

McJeebie, Feb 02, 2012

DuffDaddy, May 07, 2013

Mosul, Apr 09, 2013
4.45/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I'm either feeling generous or this is a really good beer. Pours a deep garnet color with i inch tan head that reduces to a ring and lacing with some islands. Smell is mostly malty and honey like with a hint of of earthy spice. Taste is the same with a bit more hops bitterness to offset the sweetness of the brew. I get some carmel apple in there too. A bit of oil to the mouthfeel.

I put off buying this because the few offerings of the style didn't impress me. This is really nice.

srrn, Sep 01, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +28.2%

Poured into a Pilsner I picked up as a freebie with the 6er of the Sam Adams Irish Red I'm reviewing all amber/dark beers in this glass from now on.

A - Absolutely gorgeous amber body, arousing carbonation, and 3 finger head that diminishes over the course of drinking the glass leaving a detailed lace behind, reminding you of every sip you took.

S - Rich caramel malty goodness endowed with some sweet molasses on the end.

T - Caramel malts put on a show and absolutely work well with the advertised East Kent Goldings hops. Sam Adams has made a very loyal customer out of me.

M - Absolutely perfect carbonation, there's a little thickness and there's enough left on the palate for your senses to beg for more.

D - Superb beer at a good price. I'm HIGHLY recommending this to my beer-drinking friends!

I glanced at the presentation on the first pour and rushed through the scent to taste it on my first two bottles, but on the third I slowed enough to write this review. Every sip I took I was almost convinced that I've found my favorite beer. I had fallen in love with the mainstream Irish Red (Killian's) and I knew that I'd have to find another Irish Red when I got into actually caring about the beer I was drinking. I know there are others out there, and I'm hoping they can beat this one, but wow this is a great Irish Red.

n00tz, Sep 19, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +28.2%

pours out a nice looking auburn type colour, with a thin rocky head and chunky lace. sweet aroma...along the lines of some of ripe fruit and brown sugar. very inviting. the flavour is richly malty, with thick toffee and caramel notes, with an underlying spiciness that is quite earthen and herbal in nature from the EKG hops. heartily sweet but finishes dry. almost perfect. a thick body and full, luscious mouthfeel really round out and complete this delightful ale. drinkability is great. this just tastes delicious. i really dig this beer.

i am amazingly impressed by this new beer from SA. it's a great take on the style and should be a staple in every beer drinkers diet at this time of year. definitely recommended!

budgood1, Mar 14, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +27.7%

Appearance dark red two finger off white head very creamy. Smell sweet malt with hint of roasted malt and some floral hop aroma as well. Taste sweet malt caramel and a nice balencing act with hop bitterness. Mouthfeel was mediem body mediem carbonation and had a creamy sensation. Drinkability was very good I could have this one by the pint.

BeerTaster, Feb 24, 2008
Samuel Adams Irish Red from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)