Samuel Adams Dunkelweizen - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams DunkelweizenSamuel Adams Dunkelweizen

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: WilliamPhilaPa on 08-24-2007

Read the reviews.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Dunkelweizen Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next › last »
Ratings: 831 | Reviews: 367
2.95/5  rDev -15.2%

This beer is compliments of BeerPhan86. A 12oz bottle in a pint.

A: Pours with about a quarter inch head. Falls quickly and has little lacing. Cloudy orangish brown color.

S: A punch of sweet malt and wheat, with a slight boozy smell to it. A hint of banana. Average aroma for a wheat beer.

T: Stronger with the spice flavor than expect, the clove sticks out to me. It is kind of distracting, I keep focusing on it with every sip. A bitter alcohol bite at the end. Strange after taste.

M: This is heavier than I expect and over carbonated. Leaves a strange coating in my mouth.

D: I would only have one or two of these, which is probably why it is only in mix packs.

Overall this is a plain beer that presents its style but doesn't do anything great.

2.92/5  rDev -16.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Hazy, light amber brown with just a trace of head.

S - Banana, clove, raisin, and fig.

T - Banana flavor leaves a lot to be desired, even given the nose. Phenolics are there, but on the low side, with some dark fruit emerging in the mid-palate. Lightly bready and sweet, with too much hop bitterness.

M - Watery, bland, and lifeless.

D - Out of all the beers in the Harvest Collection 12-pack, I was probably looking forward to this one the most, so that may account for much of my disappointment. Unfortunately, this is basically an American pale wheat ale with dark malt. I'm not sure who Boston Beer is trying to impress with this one, because it's "too dark" for the masses and too bland for craft drinkers. That being said, it's an easygoing beer for mindless drinking, which I suppose bumps up the drinkability score by a half point.

2.86/5  rDev -17.8%

12 ounce bottle -> World Market Wheat Beer Glass.

This beer pours up a deep fairly clear gold with a big three finger head which stays around for awile and leaves a little bit of lacing behind. The smell is mainly yeast and banana. The taste is mainly yeast as well. There is also a metallic taste. Not much bitterness on the finish. Mouthfeel is nothing special. Just average. I'd say this beer is very average. Just not a treat to drink at all. I'll pass on more.

2.86/5  rDev -17.8%

Pour is a healthy light tan head, caramel in color body

Aroma of banana, light belgian yeast, spices, clove. The aroma of most of these is pretty faint but detectable.

Taste is a light clove followed closely by belgian yeast and banana. This is a tasty Dunkelweizen, light in body and unimpressive comparatively to other dunkelweizens that I have had. It is a nice add in a 12 pack, but not something I would ever seek out over a Schneider Aventinus or Sierra Nevada's new Weissbock in the mix 12 pack.

Medium carbonation and overall ok.

2.85/5  rDev -18.1%

I poured into a pint glass to a couple inches of off white head. It is a hazy dark amber, bordering on copper, color. The aroma is bananas and clove. The taste is bananas and cloves at first. Then I get a real carbonation bite. I get some caramel malt in there, too. This beer seems overcarbonated to me. This is only my second dunkelweizen, but I prefer my previous selection.

2.82/5  rDev -19%

Poured into a goblet. Dirty copper color with a thin head.
It smells like it wants to be a dunkel but it just needs some more practice. Wet hay and cherry smell.
Watery taste, an attempt at the malty sweetness and a short finish.
Descent texture. Smooth and fluffy with moderate carbonation.
An okay beer, not a good dunkel.

2.82/5  rDev -19%

A: poured from 12 oz bottle (bbd Mar 13) into pint glass, poured golden brown with 1/2" off white head that fades leaving some lacing, hazy
S: wheat beer esters and complex alcohols, banana, brown sugar
T: this beer has a slightly unpleasant taste, notes of banana bread up front that quickly swaps to a sour skunky taste, finish is dry with a lingering odd aftertaste of bitter cloves
M: carbonation is correct for the style, light and refreshing
O: it would have been OK if BBC hadn't completely missed the boat on taste, maybe I got a bad bottle but this is approaching drain pour territory based solely on taste, the other good qualities cannot make up for that

2.76/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- pours a slightly cloudy orangeish with a 2 finger offwhite head. No lacing. Pretty boring.

S- very mild, I'm getting some weak clove with a slight tinge of banana and mainly...blah. Yawn

T- almost tastes like...bitter bananas? Its a really weird taste I've never gotten off a beer before...Not necessarily bad, just...really different

M- nothing special. Just kinda there.

D- whatever. I'm not sure if this is a summer beer, a fall beer, a spring beer...just a mess

2.7/5  rDev -22.4%

[Best served in Weizen Glass]

Poured a medium brown in color with a small head that diminished rapidly with virtually no lacing. The aroma was that of cloves and raisins with the scent of grainy malts and an earthy yeast odor. It tasted a little acidic and sweet with a mild bitter aftertaste that only lasted a little while. Mouthfeel was smooth, dry and medium bodied. Overall a tasty but average brew.

2.69/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

The pour is darkish amber/copper with about an inch of cream colored head. Yes, there's banana and clove, but I got an overwhelming musty grass aroma. Some breadiness in the taste as well as the requisite banana and clove, but the musty funk carried over from the scent and incorporated itself into the flavor. It almost presents as a sour note. There's just something about the smell and taste that really rubs me the wrong way. Quite a bit of carbonation, but it had the feeling of some thickness after it went down, which was a plus. I won't go looking for this again.

2.63/5  rDev -24.4%

Two bottles are available in the Harvest Sampler 2010.

A- The color is muddy and dirty. The same color as the brown on the label. Its not super hazed, only slightly. The head is not as big and billowy as I want from this style.

S- Banana is there, which is nice. Its like over-ripe, bruised banana. Clove is minimal but its there. Im getting a hint of root beer. Its strange but not appalling.

T- More banana and light noble hops. Over all a bit weak.

Im not a fan of this one. Weinhenstephaner has a much, much better example.

2.54/5  rDev -27%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a weizen glass. Served cold.

A-amber body with gold tones and somewhat murky; off white head-thick

S-clove, veggie, floral, cereal

T-strong clove spice, lemon, faint banana

M-crisp, yet has body

D-dark hefeweizen or light dunkelweizen. This beer is nice and drinkable but not as flavorful as it could be.

2.49/5  rDev -28.4%

I don't know what to say about this one. The taste is one of the most unique that I have had in a beer. It is also one that I did not like. I has a weird sweetness to it that I can't place. To me it was almost like cantelpope that was past ripeness. It also finished with a really odd aftertaste that I can't describe. I know that doesn't help but I just can't place it. Although it looks good in the glass it didn't have a multi-beer drink ability that I like. To be sure I had two and the second didn't go down any better than the first. It is obvious from the mostly favorable reviews that I am on the opposite side of the spectrum on this one.

2.42/5  rDev -30.5%

12oz bottle

App: A cloudy brown, akin to apple cider. A frothy white head that quickly dies

Smell: Similar scents to weizens, but the dark malt lends itself to an apple scent. A hint of flowery hops underneath. A nice blend of roasted malt and wheaty sourness.

Taste: Greeted by a slight sweetness that quickly fades. The main body of flavor is a very dry malt. Ends with a strong biting hop flavor. An almost watery aftertaste. An overall lacking flavor that is dominated by the bitterness of the hops.

The body is exceptionally crisp; not smooth enough for a weizen.

2.38/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. Very little head. No lacing. Unfiltered, but not cloudy. It's an appealing beer--nice to look at.

Smells malty with maybe a hint of banana somehow. Not great though.

Tastes harsh at first--took a few sips to warm up to it. Aftertaste of something like my grandmother's perfume. I am not enjoying the aftertaste. I get a sour taste too, which isn't unpleasant, but isn't enough to save this beer. There's a lot of complexity here, but it's just not good to my palate.

Mouthfeel is sharp at first, a little thicker than expected. Crisp at the finish, but then leaves a sort of coating in your mouth. It's interesting, but I am not a fan.

I probably would not drink this beer again, unless I didn't have any other real (beer) options.

2.35/5  rDev -32.5%

A: Pours a hazy sierra hue with a good, frothy head. Lighter in color than most in the style. Little lacing.

S: Yeasty aroma with a soft touch of lemon zest and banana.

T: Typical hefe taste with banana and soft spice, but not much of either. A bit too sweet and needs a bit more balance. Very light in flavor with a clean, watery finish.

M: Very light-bodied and missing the creamy density of a good German wheat beer. Moderate-carbonation.

D: Easy to drink and not particularly offensive, but this one falls far short of what I typically expect of a good dunkel in every category.

2.24/5  rDev -35.6%

Got this one in a mixed 12 pack. This is my first time trying this beer but i love this style so i hope this beer doesn't disappoint. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a lionel train weizen glass.

A- Pours straight copper, with 4 fingers worth of off white head that turned into a thin layer that stayed the whole time. Looks good.

S- Pretty tame, i was excepting more cloves and bananas then i got, a little bit of sweet caramel malts barely show up.

T- Spices and a slight clove taste are the first to show up and a slightly sweet and pretty bitter aftertaste that stays for a while. The flavors aren't close to as bold as i would like and banana really didn't show up.

M- Thicker then it should be and it felt a little over carbonated. The after taste sucked.

D- I wouldn't drink more then one of these due to lack of flavor and bad after taste.

Overall this beer was a let down. I love this style but Sam Adams didn't give it the justice it deserves. Everything about this beer felt held back. Go back to the drawing board and drink some good german examples for inspiration. Wont be getting this again.

« first ‹ prev | 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next › last »
Samuel Adams Dunkelweizen from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)