Samuel Adams Dunkelweizen - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams DunkelweizenSamuel Adams Dunkelweizen

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: WilliamPhilaPa on 08-24-2007

Read the reviews.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Dunkelweizen Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next › last »
Ratings: 831 | Reviews: 367
3.37/5  rDev -3.2%

This is one of the bottles from the "Harvest Collection."
Pours a hazy amber color with a lot of foam. Yup, that's not a typo. It's more of an amber wheat. It's unfiltered, but there isn't that much yeast floating in it, and the sediment isn't that plentiful either.
Smells about right. Banana bread, more or less.
The taste is a little bit forgettable. It has a lot of the right flavors, but just in low concentration. Hearty dark bread, banana, bubblegum, and maybe a hint of cocoa. On paper it's okay, but it's almost a little watered down.
Mouthfeel is good. No chalkiness...but then again with so little suspended yeast, that's no surprise. Either way, the feel is good.
Drinking a few would be no problem, but there are better DW's I'd drink ahead of this one.

It's okay. There are a ton of better examples. Interesting to see a niche Bavarian beer as a "flavor of the moment" style right now. Lots of DW's are showing up, and this one really doesn't stand out for any other reason than it's amber color. Take it however you want, but the Michelob version is MUCH better than this one.

3.8/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a honey brown color with a tight off white head that dissipates into a sparse cap. The aroma is of banana and clove, wheat malt, and a light metallic scent. The taste is of bubble gum and clove, some toasted malt gives a little bitter edge and the flavor is rounded out by a lemon essence. Nice moderate body, dry and astringent, a bit crisp for the style. A nice dunkelweisse. I would like to see some more banana and clove flavor but seems to be on track for the style. Got this out of their harvest 12 pack, can't we replace the cherry wheat with the Black Lager?

3.98/5  rDev +14.4%

Bought as part of the new SA mixed 12 pack (good batch of beers I must say!). Pours a cloudy/murky brown color.. nice head to it that stays with the beer the whole time, nice lacing too. Sort of a toffee/nutty aroma to it. Taste is medium bodied, get a hint of the clove/banana hefe taste along with a nice malty taste. Nice smooth finish, pretty drinkable. Not overly tasteful but for the style I guess it fits the description pretty good. Maybe not something I would seek out but a nice change of pace in the mixed 12 pack.

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%

12oz bottle purchased at Shaw's as part of the new Samuel Adams Harvest mix-pack. Pours a hazy to murky copper brown body with over an inch of khaki-colored head. Smells nutty and banana notes and hints of spice and lemon-zest and pith. Toasty nuttiness hits first in the flavor, with hints of caramel and toffee, and suggestions of banana and spice. Medium bodied with ample carbonation. Pretty darn drinkable. Not at all a bad example of the style - a welcome addition to the Samuel Adams fall line-up!

4.6/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a hazy amber-brown with a two finger puffy khaki head. Not the cloudy yeasty appearance expected from a weizen but as far as I'm concerned that is a good thing.

This is like liquid banana bread. Banana, caramel, nut, clove in the aroma.

In the taste more of a dry wheat flavor, but all of the elements from the aroma. Nice and crisp.

Light bodied and an easy drinker. Clean, malty/wheaty and crisp. One of the best dunkelweizens I've had. Some may not like it because there isn't a giant slug of yeast in the bottle. But me and my stomach are happy it isn't there.

3.3/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this from the Harvest collection that Sam Adams just released. Poured from the bottle into a glass. Appearance was light auburn with very little haze, especially for the style. Two finger light tan head. Aroma is strong notes of bananna and clove. The taste is also highlighted by bananna and clove notes. There is also a slight hop bitterness, barely noticable. Somewhat watery, and finishes clean. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, although it can seem slightly chewy. Drinkability is average for the style. Some booze flavor pops up when this brew is warm.

Overall, a decent offering from Sam Adams, although I was disappointed. The Michelob offering is a better value.

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

12oz bottle from the Fall Harvest Mix Pack served in a weizen glass.

Hazed bronze color with a creamy beige head that hung around as a layer and left a good deal of lacing spots.
Smell is earthy wheat and caramel sweetness.
Taste is malty with flavors of wheat, yeast, spices and low bitterness.
Medium bodied with mild carbonation and a bit of a thin feel.
A refreshing treat but I'm not a big fan of the style.

4.15/5  rDev +19.3%

No longer retired as it can be found in the Sam Adams Harvest Collection 12 Pack.

Poured into pint glass it has many of the characteristics of a German Hefe with a little less cloud. Pour resulted in a two finger head that settled to about a quarter inch and stayed throughout the drinking time.

Great roasted fragrance that really makes you look forward to that first sip.

Taste is smoky and excellent. Better than most American Hefeweizens and well worth the effort. Stands on its own and will hopefully move out of the mixed 12 pack.

3.95/5  rDev +13.5%

First off this isn't retired anymore it is in the 2009 Samuel Adams Harvest Collection 12 pack.

Chill hazed orange brown colored beer with a medium sized tan colored head.

Smell is malt and bananas with caramel syrup scent. Little bit of apple and chocolate but this is very much a banana scented beer.

Starts out dry banana flavor with a strong wheat bread malt flavor. This gets a bit sweeter as you drink it and some spice emerges to mix with the banana, mostly allspice. Amazingly dry for the beer style.

Mouthfeel is good.

High drinkability though a bit more malt would be nice. Tasty Dunkelweizen though it is decidedly dry for the style.

3.98/5  rDev +14.4%

Now available in the Harvest Collection 12 pack.

I was really excited for this one and I'm glad to say it was worth the wait.

Pours a lighter color than I expected, pours like a hefeweizen (hazy) with a shades of brown.

Smelled similar to a hefeweizen (probably that classic german yeast and malted wheat)....slight citrus notes. very nice

Tasted excellent. Lots of malt on this one. The malted wheat and german yeast makes this one taste similar to a hefeweizen, but with much more body thanks to the dark wheat. Really tastey. They should replace their Hefeweizen with this guy.

Drinkaility was awesome. I sure wish there were more than 2

Overall, definitely worth picking up a 12 pack for (in my opinion anyway). If you like hefeweizens and dunkels like I do, be sure to grab this

4.85/5  rDev +39.4%

Part of the Samuel Adams Harvest Collection. I must say I was blown away seeing Dunkelweizen on the box. I had to double take a look.

Beer is very dark and has a great smell. I poured the beer in my Sam Adams glass and nice head arrived. Taste is just fantastic. Spices and banana. I could drink these all night.

Why is the world is this not in full production???? Please tell me this isn't going to be like Old Fizzewig and made once a year. That means I have to buy a lot of other Sam Adams to get this.

SA hit a homerun with this one.

3.65/5  rDev +4.9%

This is a brand new one from Sam Adams. I actually found this one in their fall Harvest Collection. It appears that I am the first one actually reviewing this one out of the bottle. Anyways, here is my review:

A: Pours a brownish gold. Some carbonation coming up from the bottom. Head is minimal, which is a little disappointing.

S/T: I get quite a but of banana and spice in the aroma. Maybe even some brown suger in there. Taste is quite spicy with that signature banana flavor. Some bubble gum in there as well. Semi-sweet on the finish. A touch watery tasting. Overall, a decent tasting beer and much better than their Hefeweizen.

M/D: Medium to light bodied with a decent carbonation kick. Beer is pretty refreshing and could easily drink more than one of these.

I will admit that I have not had a lot of Dunkelweizens, so my tasting experience on the style is quite limited. But this is a decent tasting beer. Not going to knock your socks off, but is worth checking out as it is a solid effort from Sam Adams.

4.31/5  rDev +23.9%

Poured into a tasting glass from the tap.

This was the first Dunkelweizen that I have ever had and now I am a huge fan.

I had this at the Sam Adams brewery open house.

I liked the smokieness to it but needed a bit more of it to really describe this brew. This needs to be added to the Brewmaster collection

Poured an extremely dark color when only held up to light, it would reveal a dim ruby hue. Nice dead that subdues after a while leaving minimal lacing. Smell is of roastiness like a stout with some lactose ala cream stout along with that banana-ry aroma. Beautiful aroma. Flavor also has that banana ester flavor up front ala Aventinus but also comes with a roastiness. This beer is like a cream/milk stout mixed with a dunkelweizen. Unlike anything I have ever tasted before and absolutely marvelous. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, medium carbonation and very smooth. Extremely drinkable. Wonder what the abv% is?

3.91/5  rDev +12.4%

This was my first exposure to the dunkelweizen style. I can defiantly say it is now one of my favorite styles, and I wish I would see more of these.

From the beginning it was a whole new concept to me… It was a dark weizen! I was excited to find out what I was missing. It had a great dark cloudy appearance; it had great cereal notes, and the same great aroma from the yeast that I would expect from an everyday Heffenweizn. Of course the difference is all in the wheat malt. The combination of the roasted cereal flavor with the banana clove flavor make this beer not only crisp and refreshing, like I would expect from a Heff, but the dunkle gave me the complexity and fulfillment I would have expected from a darker ale. I am glad the Beer Lovers choice competition opened my eyes to this beer.

I am really impressed with this style. After searching out other traditional Dunkelweizens, I am unsure that Boston Beer version would show up a true German Dunkel, but it was a great representation of the style nonetheless. I hoped this would make the Beer Lovers choice to just to expose others to this wonderful style of beer.

3.7/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a sample cup at the 2nd Annual Brass City Brew Fest.

A: A look from above saw just the decent tan head that formed, despite the two ounce pour. Upon clearing, the brew was a cloudy brown with reddish hints near the bottom.

S: Smell was sweet and toasty. There was a little hop and fruit in the nose, but it was mostly grain and cereal.

T: Taste was similar to the smell, but with a more pronounced malt and wheat flavor. The bitterness was low, and the aftertaste was almost like pumpernickel bread.

M: Mouthfeel was light to medium bodied, with a smooth finish.

D: I could see having three or four of these in a sitting. The alcohol didn't seem to prominent, and the flavor was complex enough to make me want to try it again.

Another interesting Americanized version of a German style. Not the full Dunkelweizen that a Schneider-Weisse would be, but tasty and unique enough for me to cast my vote for it. Vote Sample B in '07!

4.4/5  rDev +26.4%

This is one of two samples types; multiple samples of each type :)
I enjoyed the two beer types at the the Brewery this weekend, it is for the Cast your Vote for the Brewmaster's Collection.
Very nice foggy brown appearance w/ slight amber hues. Burnt toast , biscuits and nutmeg on the nose. The taste is complex and you taste the dark malts up front; caramel, and malted wheat adds a nice cereal note. Some hints of fruits and banana shows up in the middle ; crisp finish ; medium bodied ; well done, enjoyed the many samples.

I voted for the Dunkelweizen...however it is a shame both beers can not be added to the collection.

« first ‹ prev | 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next › last »
Samuel Adams Dunkelweizen from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)