1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Dunkelweizen - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams DunkelweizenSamuel Adams Dunkelweizen

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.10% ABV

Read the reviews.

(Beer added by: WilliamPhilaPa on 08-24-2007)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Dunkelweizen Alström Bros
Ratings: 791 | Reviews: 367 | Show All Ratings:
OverToad

4.88/5  rDev +39.8%

Part of the Samuel Adams Harvest Collection. I must say I was blown away seeing Dunkelweizen on the box. I had to double take a look.

Beer is very dark and has a great smell. I poured the beer in my Sam Adams glass and nice head arrived. Taste is just fantastic. Spices and banana. I could drink these all night.

Why is the world is this not in full production???? Please tell me this isn't going to be like Old Fizzewig and made once a year. That means I have to buy a lot of other Sam Adams to get this.

SA hit a homerun with this one.

08-18-2009 02:47:35 | More by OverToad
OldSchoolGamer

3.65/5  rDev +4.6%

This is a brand new one from Sam Adams. I actually found this one in their fall Harvest Collection. It appears that I am the first one actually reviewing this one out of the bottle. Anyways, here is my review:

A: Pours a brownish gold. Some carbonation coming up from the bottom. Head is minimal, which is a little disappointing.

S/T: I get quite a but of banana and spice in the aroma. Maybe even some brown suger in there. Taste is quite spicy with that signature banana flavor. Some bubble gum in there as well. Semi-sweet on the finish. A touch watery tasting. Overall, a decent tasting beer and much better than their Hefeweizen.

M/D: Medium to light bodied with a decent carbonation kick. Beer is pretty refreshing and could easily drink more than one of these.

I will admit that I have not had a lot of Dunkelweizens, so my tasting experience on the style is quite limited. But this is a decent tasting beer. Not going to knock your socks off, but is worth checking out as it is a solid effort from Sam Adams.

08-16-2009 18:34:08 | More by OldSchoolGamer
Duhast500

Rhode Island

4.33/5  rDev +24.1%

Poured into a tasting glass from the tap.

This was the first Dunkelweizen that I have ever had and now I am a huge fan.

I had this at the Sam Adams brewery open house.

I liked the smokieness to it but needed a bit more of it to really describe this brew. This needs to be added to the Brewmaster collection

11-16-2008 16:43:15 | More by Duhast500
Doomcifer

Rhode Island

4.43/5  rDev +26.9%

Poured an extremely dark color when only held up to light, it would reveal a dim ruby hue. Nice dead that subdues after a while leaving minimal lacing. Smell is of roastiness like a stout with some lactose ala cream stout along with that banana-ry aroma. Beautiful aroma. Flavor also has that banana ester flavor up front ala Aventinus but also comes with a roastiness. This beer is like a cream/milk stout mixed with a dunkelweizen. Unlike anything I have ever tasted before and absolutely marvelous. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, medium carbonation and very smooth. Extremely drinkable. Wonder what the abv% is?

12-25-2007 03:07:18 | More by Doomcifer
trkerrigan

3.93/5  rDev +12.6%

This was my first exposure to the dunkelweizen style. I can defiantly say it is now one of my favorite styles, and I wish I would see more of these.

From the beginning it was a whole new concept to me… It was a dark weizen! I was excited to find out what I was missing. It had a great dark cloudy appearance; it had great cereal notes, and the same great aroma from the yeast that I would expect from an everyday Heffenweizn. Of course the difference is all in the wheat malt. The combination of the roasted cereal flavor with the banana clove flavor make this beer not only crisp and refreshing, like I would expect from a Heff, but the dunkle gave me the complexity and fulfillment I would have expected from a darker ale. I am glad the Beer Lovers choice competition opened my eyes to this beer.

I am really impressed with this style. After searching out other traditional Dunkelweizens, I am unsure that Boston Beer version would show up a true German Dunkel, but it was a great representation of the style nonetheless. I hoped this would make the Beer Lovers choice to just to expose others to this wonderful style of beer.

10-14-2007 01:59:19 | More by trkerrigan
Gambrinus1184

Connecticut

3.73/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a sample cup at the 2nd Annual Brass City Brew Fest.

A: A look from above saw just the decent tan head that formed, despite the two ounce pour. Upon clearing, the brew was a cloudy brown with reddish hints near the bottom.

S: Smell was sweet and toasty. There was a little hop and fruit in the nose, but it was mostly grain and cereal.

T: Taste was similar to the smell, but with a more pronounced malt and wheat flavor. The bitterness was low, and the aftertaste was almost like pumpernickel bread.

M: Mouthfeel was light to medium bodied, with a smooth finish.

D: I could see having three or four of these in a sitting. The alcohol didn't seem to prominent, and the flavor was complex enough to make me want to try it again.

Another interesting Americanized version of a German style. Not the full Dunkelweizen that a Schneider-Weisse would be, but tasty and unique enough for me to cast my vote for it. Vote Sample B in '07!

09-21-2007 05:51:01 | More by Gambrinus1184
WilliamPhilaPa

4.43/5  rDev +26.9%

This is one of two samples types; multiple samples of each type :)
I enjoyed the two beer types at the the Brewery this weekend, it is for the Cast your Vote for the Brewmaster's Collection.
Very nice foggy brown appearance w/ slight amber hues. Burnt toast , biscuits and nutmeg on the nose. The taste is complex and you taste the dark malts up front; caramel, and malted wheat adds a nice cereal note. Some hints of fruits and banana shows up in the middle ; crisp finish ; medium bodied ; well done, enjoyed the many samples.

I voted for the Dunkelweizen...however it is a shame both beers can not be added to the collection.

08-24-2007 21:12:57 | More by WilliamPhilaPa
Samuel Adams Dunkelweizen from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)