Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Samuel Adams Dunkelweizen - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams DunkelweizenSamuel Adams Dunkelweizen

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: WilliamPhilaPa on 08-24-2007

Read the reviews.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Dunkelweizen Alström Bros
firstprev| 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next → last

A: Dark copper color, fairly clear, decent sized head that dissipates a little too quick.

S: Horrible with the smells but fruity smells as well as wheat maybe.

T: Tasted like a little brown sugar and some dark fruits that I could not pick out, maybe a slightly ginger aftertaste as well but not sure.

M & D: Not the smoothest beer in the world but still very drinkable and a pretty good carbonation level that adds a nice kick.

4.24/5  rDev +19.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a a Czech pilesner glass.

A - Poured a dark amber, copper-like color that made me think of an IPA, was cloudy with a creamy head.

S - Both wheat and malt were there to greet my nose at the first whiff.

T - Some excellent malt sweetness as to be expected from a dunkel, which then gave way to the trademark characteristics of wheat which were highlighted at the end by subtle use of hops.

M - Epitomy of Weiss beer, nice and light swashing around in the mouth easily and going down just as easy.

D - Very high

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Sort of a reddish but golden amber color. Very interesting color. Very cloudy. Beer is darker on top than on the bottom. The head is nice and foamy and there is good lacing.

S: Wonderful spicy wheat smell. Also a hint of banana.

T: Good sweet wheat taste, like a good hefeweizen. The clove adds a great spicy flavor. The hops are not overwhelming and compliment this amazingly full, balanced beer.

M: Full bodied, fizzy. Definitely gritty.

D: It's a great balanced beer and to be honest I would have no clue it was American in a blind taste test. Standout beer by Samuel Adams.

4.2/5  rDev +18%

Poured into an Irish Tulip glass

A - Pours a four finger creamy/marshmallowy light tan head, that leaves some nice lacing. This beer is a copper color, slightly effervescent, and very hazy (unfiltered it seems)

S - Delicious!!! Lots of clove, bananas, and dark wheats. One of the best smelling 'weizens' i've ever smelled.

T - Very spicy clove flavor, with a bannana bubblegum finish. Cloves are tingly and right up front, and on the back end of the toungue you get this almost sugar free bubble gum sensation on the finish. Alcohol is pretty much non-existent. Very refreshing!!!

M - Mouthfeel is fairly thin, but not watery. Very soft creamy mouthfeel from the nice head this beer generates.

D - Drinkability of this beer is super high!!! Very sessionable too. Slight effervescence and light body makes this an easy beer to slug down. But very refreshing and flavorful!!

Final Thoughts: Two Thumbs UP!!!! Would reccomend and would by a 6 pack if i can find one. This beer was a part of the harvest collection mix pack.

Pours a dark, cloudy amber-orange with a big clumpy, off-white head. Smells of cloves, and other mild spices. Tastes of caramelized plantains and roasted almonds. Good carbonation, a medium-light body, and a dry finish. Quite a complex brew with a lot going on for the palate to enjoy.

3.11/5  rDev -12.6%

Snagged this at local store when they broke up the harvest variety pack. Had this last year and thought it was pretty good, but have been exposed to some good German brewed ones since then.

Poured into my weizen glass. Swirled bottom of bottle.

A: A nice haze filled deep dark brown color with a slightly off white dishsoapy head. Looking good so far.

S: A ton of cloves in this one. Also a touch of tart wheaty yeast smell. Not getting any banana, or bubblegum smells which I tend to enjoy, but overall still solid.

T: A little sweet with a tart, sour kick mid way then a clove spice on the finish. As it warms you get just a hint of butterscotch in the profile. About average I would say nothing mind blowing.

M: Some what thick for style but missing that creamy feel to it. The lack of carbonation seems to hit its mark for style. Also as one keeps drinking it starts to coat and dry the mouth dramatically.

D: This beer starts out as your typical easy drinking wheat beer, but then takes a dreadful turn in that its extreme dryness starts to kill the easy of consumption.

Overall a good stab at a style most Americans never try, BBC makes another attempt at a style that keeps most craft drinkers happy while not alienating the typical marcro drinker. I just wished it had that creamy wheat feel I get from most German made wheat beers.

4.85/5  rDev +36.2%

Part of the Samuel Adams Harvest Collection. I must say I was blown away seeing Dunkelweizen on the box. I had to double take a look.

Beer is very dark and has a great smell. I poured the beer in my Sam Adams glass and nice head arrived. Taste is just fantastic. Spices and banana. I could drink these all night.

Why is the world is this not in full production???? Please tell me this isn't going to be like Old Fizzewig and made once a year. That means I have to buy a lot of other Sam Adams to get this.

SA hit a homerun with this one.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is a unique beer - but take care how you pour it, tasting this requires patience. The first sip and last sip are different experiences entirely.

A: Half-inch frothy head quickly disappeared in glass. Deep amber color and solid (!) carbonation.

S: Clove! Immediately, I gather herbs and fruitiness, followed by a sort of hoppy freshness lingering a the cool background of brown bread.

T: Complicated and evolving. The overcarbonation early makes it crisp and dry, but masks an orangy sweetness that becomes stronger as the drink goes on.

However, I gave this to my fiancee, and she practically gagged. The finish is drier than expected, and the crispiness can be shocking. As the carbonation seeps out of the beer, it becomes smoother, sweeter, and exteremly drinkable.

By the time your glass is half-empty, carbonation has reached a 'sweet spot' and you'll find the flavor carnival much more palatable. At this point, you'll nod to the Sam Adams Brewmaster and say, "I see what you're trying to do here."

3.62/5  rDev +1.7%

Alrighty here we go.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy gold color with a creamy looking head. Most of the head goes away except for the typical thin layer that most beers of this kind keep. Good looking.

Smell: This beer smells great. I smell sweetness, yeast like a biscuit, a slight tangy banana like smell. Very good aroma.

Taste: You can taste the dunkel and the tangy the most. The taste is not nearly as good as the smell lead my to think. It's kind of a let down.

Mouthfeel: It's a smoothly carbonated beverage which again matches the style as it should. Kind of creamy.

Drinkability: I think it would be better if it were sweeter and had to dunkel. I will save my other bottle for another time.

I bought the harvest collection cause this beer was in it and i'm thinking it wasn't worth it but it's the only way i've seen it.

2.49/5  rDev -30.1%

I don't know what to say about this one. The taste is one of the most unique that I have had in a beer. It is also one that I did not like. I has a weird sweetness to it that I can't place. To me it was almost like cantelpope that was past ripeness. It also finished with a really odd aftertaste that I can't describe. I know that doesn't help but I just can't place it. Although it looks good in the glass it didn't have a multi-beer drink ability that I like. To be sure I had two and the second didn't go down any better than the first. It is obvious from the mostly favorable reviews that I am on the opposite side of the spectrum on this one.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a bottle, as part of the Harvest 12 pack.

A - Poured a nice rich, copper with a moderate hazeyness. Light lacing throughout. Subtle cascading carbonation.

S - Banana. A mild, roasted sweetness. A whiff of bubblegum (very faint).

T - Malt, wheat, banana. Slightly nutty (hazelnut?) with a great, subdued smokiness in the finish.

M - Surprisingly easy to drink. nice carbonation.

O - Reminds me a lot of german represenatations of the style in a good way. This is definitely not a weak representation and is pretty true to the style. Would have this again. I hope they put this out in its own six pack eventually.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Look is heavy on the dunkel, everything else drives home the weizen. A tight, persistent khaki cap sits on a hazy caramel pour, like an unfiltered Yuengling. The smell screams German hefe yeast, with a decent dose of funk (a word I've never used in relation to a Sam brew) and earth to burn. The first sip feels surprisingly slick, but the sweetish finish hangs on longer as the glass warms. The hops are appropriately restrained to let a decent yeast strain shine, though I wouldn't mind seeing a deeper malt platform. A good, drinkable American effort, though not a contender to the German big boys.

3.12/5  rDev -12.4%

Over the past year I've become quite a fan of the Dunkelweizen style. Unfortunately, this brew seems like a fairly shallow imitation. Not terrible, but not quite enough for one who enjoys the full range of offerings found in an exceptional Dunkelweizen.

Appearance was average, with a dark brown body, slight head, but pretty fine lacing.

As far as smell goes, the presence of tropical fruit and some clove spice brought to mind apricots covered in clove. Pretty nice. Taste was less satisfying. Not much on the fruit or bready end of things, but rather boldly-crisp and quite spicy. I could have wished for some hints of banana. I would have been pleased with a fuller mouth feel as well.

3.91/5  rDev +9.8%

This was my first exposure to the dunkelweizen style. I can defiantly say it is now one of my favorite styles, and I wish I would see more of these.

From the beginning it was a whole new concept to me… It was a dark weizen! I was excited to find out what I was missing. It had a great dark cloudy appearance; it had great cereal notes, and the same great aroma from the yeast that I would expect from an everyday Heffenweizn. Of course the difference is all in the wheat malt. The combination of the roasted cereal flavor with the banana clove flavor make this beer not only crisp and refreshing, like I would expect from a Heff, but the dunkle gave me the complexity and fulfillment I would have expected from a darker ale. I am glad the Beer Lovers choice competition opened my eyes to this beer.

I am really impressed with this style. After searching out other traditional Dunkelweizens, I am unsure that Boston Beer version would show up a true German Dunkel, but it was a great representation of the style nonetheless. I hoped this would make the Beer Lovers choice to just to expose others to this wonderful style of beer.

3.12/5  rDev -12.4%

Appearance: The head was okay, with just minimal sticking. The color was a deep mahogany and dark malt.
Smell: Mostly brown bread and malt.
Taste: A little wheat spice and malt. Very clean with mild fruitiness. Fairly neutral in yeast and hops. Not much in banana or cloves, as would be expected with a dunkelweizen.
Mouthfeel: Crisp and slightly dry.

3.22/5  rDev -9.6%

A dark beer about the same color as the bottle. Not much of an aroma to speak of. A good taste that would lead me to drink some more. Reminds me of bananas a little. Feelssmooth on the pallet without an overpowering aftertaste that leaves you wanting more. Could definately polish off a six-banger of these.

Recommended, of sorts.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I purchased the fall variety 24 pack. So far so good (very!) as this was last on my list to try of the 6 choices.

A dark amber color, smells slightly like a malty banana spice. Taste is of banana, clove and nutmeg yet tarty. A nice beer to sip. All in all a very good beer and well above average.

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a medium to dark brown with a white frothy head. Smells like your typical wheat beers with a subtle hint of hops. Taste is the most surprising part, not super bready but a healthy balance of bread, roasty qualities with a refreshing finish. Overall a good addition to the Sam Adams seasonal line.

3.51/5  rDev -1.4%

A- Dark caramel/toffee color. Thin head that dispersed rather quickly. Looks like my kind of beer.

S- Significant bubblegum smell that admittedly, I didn't pick up on until I read about others experiences. I suppose that's the clove. After that some wheat-like smell. Not really enjoying the smell once I picked up on the similarities to bubblegum. This is my first weizen, so I'm not sure if that's expected or not.

T- Like a wheaty Boston Lager with something sweet tacked on. Maybe it's a fruity taste, but I can't quite pinpoint it. It's more of an artificial tasting sweet than anything I can name.

M- Very smooth, very easy to drink. Carbonation seems moderate at most.

O- One of the better Samuel Adams I've had. It loses points on the smell but it's very enjoyable otherwise.

4.18/5  rDev +17.4%

this beer was discovered as a nice surprise in a mix pack. In the glass it presented as a nice milky unfiltered beer. the initial smell gave great citrus and malty notes that complemented each other rather then competed. Over all a nice darkish beer with a great mouth good flavor and decent drinkability. Good unfiltered beer but still no hefey.

firstprev| 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next → last
Samuel Adams Dunkelweizen from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)