Join our email list →

Samuel Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Hallertau Imperial PilsnerSamuel Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

American Double / Imperial Pilsner | 8.10% ABV

Beer added by: Flyer on 06-18-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner Alström Bros
firstprev| 601-625 | 626-650 | 651-675  | next → last

From the moment I first tasted this beer poured from the tap at the Sam Adams brewery in Boston, I knew I was in for a long, hoppy ride. The first thing I noticed is the dark, cloudy, orange'ish tint and thick head when poured into my Sam Adams special edition glass. Then, it hits you; the bitter sweet smell of the Noble Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops. To hop lovers like me, this was an exciting moment. According to the head brewer I spoke with, Sam Adams uses tons of this stuff (12 lbs per barrel) and with the cost of hops, he mentioned that Sam Adams must be losing money on this beer (avg $9 a 4 pk).

When the beer hits the lips, the burning and explosion of the hops can send you over the edge. The flavors are of citrus and spice (but only just enough) and stay with you long after each sip. After this beer of beers hits the back of the throat, the hint of sweetness from the malt balances the flavors out perfectly. It's true this beer has "drink by Jan 2008", and I actually first tried it when it was in its prime in fallwinter of '07. I recently bought out my local package store (eight 4 pk's) and while it may not be in its prime, it's still the most perfect beer I've ever placed my lips around. Seek out this beer and enjoy!

Appearence: Orange/Amber: Loved the amber orange hue this brew gave off.
Smell: Citrus, grapefruit, floral hops.
Taste: Definite hops, crisp, dry, not like any pilsner I'd had in the past. The hops made my friend's dad buy a case!!!
mouthfeel: Creamy, It killed my premonitions of what a hoppy pilsner would feel like.
Drinkability: Smooth, tasty, crisp, and hoppy in a way that will smack you upside the head in a subtle way. Loved it!!!

firstprev| 601-625 | 626-650 | 651-675  | next → last
Samuel Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)