Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Samuel Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

YOUR RATING = None |

Samuel Adams Hallertau Imperial PilsnerSamuel Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Pilsner

Added by Flyer on 06-18-2007

Reviews: 653 | Ratings: 788
4.75/5  rDev +17%

This hazy brew from Sam Adams is worth the $10 a four-pack I paid at the marketplace Kroger. Enough said...

... yeah, right!

I picked up a four-fer a month ago and quaffed two in one night. The friend I gave a glass to struggled to finish it, and had to switch to Beck's afterwards. I can't fault him, really; this beer's not for everyone. But me, the hop-head I am... sublimely enjoyable!

In between now and then, I've had a few high-powered IPAs, so my comparison is drawn from there.

There's a little bit of sedimentation on the bottom of the bottle, enough to swirl away with the (unopened) bottle upended. Pours a thick, hazy orange-amber with a nice, fluffy, off-white two-finger head. Decent lacing, but I swirl the glass a lot, so if it gets sticky, I wouldn't know.

The resiny, slightly citrusy IPA aroma is uniquely balanced by a sweet malty scent. As the brew warms the alcohol becomes apparent. The initial (fridge-temp) taste is all IPA hops with a peppery finish from the well-hidden alcohol. As the brew warms, the intense hop flavor gives in to the sweet, caramelly malts and an astringent alcohol bite. Late finish is tantalizingly bitter from the hops.

It's got a full, rich and silky with a light carbonation tingle. If kept colder, the alcohol aroma and taste could be kept at bay.

One is really enough... the night I had two I was at a Halloween party... everybody was crazy that night! Will I get it again? You betcha.

*S

4.75/5  rDev +17%

Terrific beer, intensely hopped, Hallertau Imperial Pilsner is impressive, and strong. The presentation is great, with two fingers of thick white head topping a cloudy orange body. Lots of dense lacing on the way down, very nice. The nose is good, lots of hops prominent, with a bit of fruit--orange, maybe a touch of lemon and grapefruit. The taste is magnificent, with the hops dominating but the fruit present and accounted for. The melange is very nice, with the grassy taste and fruit balancing each other very well. I'm completely wowed by the mouthfeel, with the initial bite of the dense hops outweighed by the smooth, thick texture. It really gets better as it's consumed, and masks the high ABV quite well.

An outstanding beverage. The ABV keeps the drinkability down somewhat but it is just great overall. I wish the store had more.

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

A: Pours a hazy golden orange color, creamy light tan head and a healthy carbonation factor to bring out the incredible perfumy hop aroma.

S: Labeled as 12 pounds of Hallertau hops per barrel it definitely makes a presence on the nose. The noble hallertau hops definitely make an impact with a huge perfume aroma of fresh flowers.

F: The hopping is very big and spicy, yet is not overly done and is very well balanced and refined producing a beautiful spicy and hoppy flavor with some fresh flowery notes with light citrus notes. The finish is dry with a nice fresh flowery hop fade and resin lacing left on the tongue leaving you wanting more. Wow a very nice change to have a 100+ ibu hoppy beer that is not west coast hopped, but rather a noble hopping which I believe may be a first of this magnitude.

M: beautiful, fresh soft flowers and spiciness

D: heavenly.

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

Bright light orange colour with some chill haze. Generous eggshell-white head falls to about 1/8" layer.

Appetizing aroma of floral hops with light fruity character. Full body with a creamy, rich, velvety texture and very fine, light carbonation. Crackery malt with soft, floral hop notes. Bitterness is gently balancing, building into a firm finish. Hint of burnt sugar late. Well crafted lager with seamless flavours. Plenty of hops, but with a soft character.

Leaves some lace on the glass and lingering floral hop-bitter-caramel malt tastes on the palate. Alcohol becomes noticeable as it warms. Really excellent beer!

4.71/5  rDev +16%

Pours a cloudy apricot with one of the stickiest ivory heads I have ever seen. Lots of rings of persistent lacing and great retention. Piny, leafy aroma. Huge pine and grass hop bitterness playing off against a sweet pale malt background. This beer has flavour and bitterness in spades. The hops are also well-rounded out by a pleasant fruitiness, with hints of lemon and peach, but at the end of the day this is all about the hallertau. The body is medium, yet at the same time sticky and chewy, which provides a pleasing compliment to the resin taste.

I can't get over how good this is... a pilsner that drinks like a double IPA, but with great balance. I've liked Sam Adam's beers, but never really been blown away... until now.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a light orange-yellow, huge frothy head that sticks around forever and laces nicely.

Huge hop aroma, it just freaking smeels like a handfull of fresh hallertau. Herbal, musty, delicious. A bright a crisp malt aroma in there to, Awesome.

Flavor is a solid rich malt backbone and a well balanced hop biterness, its like tasting wort, smelling the ketlle and enjoying a really good beer all at once, absolutetly great!

I've had a homebrewed imperial chinnok brown before this one, and my palate was not wrecked still when I had this one, its a hoppy experience indeed.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've never done this before, but for this brew, which I consider superlative and intoxicating (in every sense of the word), I have reproduced word-for-word, below, the review of fellow BA beer lover BuckeyeNation. I could not write a better description of this (or any) beer. I want to read it repeatedly as I partake of SA's HIP. Feast your eyes on it:

"A+ / 4.85
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | drink: 5
rDev: +16.1%

Hugely hazy bruised banana with apricot undertones. It isn't often that one can appreciate a beer's murkiness through a brown glass bottle, but such is the case here. I love 'dirty' looking beer, especially when hop particles are involved. The pale beige crown couldn't be any more beautiful. Scads of sticky lace only add to the magnificence.

I've never crushed fresh Hallertau hops in my hands and then inhaled the residue, but it must smell something like Imperial Pilsner. Actually, that isn't strictly true. The beer also has a sweet pale maltiness that gives depth and breath to the hop resins. I hadn't noticed it before, but this hop's muskiness reminds me, in some respects, of Cascade.

I like this beer just as much as the beer that inspired it, Samuel Adams Imperial Pilsner 2005 Harvest. Maybe more. Pay very close attention to the label if you're ambivalent about hops because phrases such as 'Intense Hop Experience', 'enormous, almost reckless quantities... of hops' is truth in advertising. This stuff will rip the top several layers off your mouth and tongue without breaking a sweat.

The thing that makes this insanely delicious beer, though, is that it isn't *only* about the hops. Somewhere, way down deep, lives a sugar cookie-like pale maltiness that just does manage to take the intensely serrated edges off the alpha acids. Aging this ale should be a crime punishable by death. As fresh as possible is the only way to go.

I never knew that Hallertau Mittelfrueh were this fruity. I'm getting tons of peach and apricot, along with tidal waves of sticky orange marmalade and shards of bitter lemon. Each mouthful is an explosion of hop flavor that lasts and lasts and lasts. I better slow down or there won't be anything left to assess the mouthfeel.

While it doesn't quite deserve a perfect score, this elixir is pure pleasure in the mouth. It's at least medium-full and is as plush as one could ever hope for. It seems that the brewers have struck the perfect balance between luxuriousness and ease of drinkability.

I have no idea if Samuel Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner is identical to Imperial Pilsner 2005 Harvest. My guess is that it's pretty damn close and my suspicion is that it's even hoppier. Cheers to Mr. Koch for making this a year-round offering. It's a damn good thing the hop shortage didn't hit Germany. In a word... Wow!

Reviewed on: 11-26-2007 16:46:26."

Bruised banana with apricot, indeed. Excellent and precise; some of the greatest descriptive writing I've had the pleasure to run across. Thank you, Buckeye.

4.69/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a beautiful deep amber. Ample half inch head with lacing down the glass. Earthy, spicy aroma; taste-intense hoppy burst followed by a delicious bittersweet malt-hop balance. Pleasantly long bitter finish. Alcohol is well hidden.

This is truly one of the best beers I have ever had. Definitely a benchmark for others to imitate.

4.69/5  rDev +15.5%

Color - A hazey light orange. I poured it into a pint glass with about a thumbnail's worth of egg shell white head.

Nose - They call it "an intense hop" experience and it does not dissapoint. Pines, floral.

Taste - Obviously hops. You can taste the pine and florals too. This is balanced by a nice long bitterness that stays for a while.

Mouthfeel - Medium to light body with the bitterness from the hops.

Drinkability - Incredibly drinkable for the high alcohol content. I could session three of these after that the bitterness might get in the way. Still very drinkable compared to several other American IPAs.

I really enjoyed this beer. It is one of my favorite American IPA to date.

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured a very cloudy golden honey with a 2 finger head that lasted longer than most others.
Nice lacing that clung forever
Nice smell of citrus, mainly oranges and the hops.
The orange zest flavor stays around on the palette for the longest time. Nice blend of spices and hops.
Just the right amount of carbonation and this makes for a great brew. A tad on the pricey side but I don't think you'll be disappointed.
If you just don't like it, email me and I'll trade you for something you do like!

4.67/5  rDev +15%

All I can say is that I am very grateful that this beer has returned. Poured in to a sniffer glass a somewhat hazy orange glow, with white heading that has nice retention. Smell has traces of tropical fruit (pineapple maybe) as well as an extreme spicy character from the hops. Taste is all about the hops on this one. It seems balanced to some degree, but the aftertaste leaves such a bitter hop flavor in the mouth that it becomes difficult to taste anything else. Mouthfeel is full bodied, and has a bit of that imperial sweetness from the alcohol. My feeling on this one is the hell with balance. This is a serious hop head brew that is sure to please. Even if you don't like hops though, certainly worth experiencing, as this doesn't quite taste like anything else. Too bad this is a limited offering in that I would sip it all year round. Cheers

4.67/5  rDev +15%

Nice head. As thick and as gold as honey.

I--I should have never have started brewing. It took the mystery out of beer. I found out that hop bombs were easy to make. I found out that subtle, light beers were really hard to make. That made to me reassess my whole process of reviewing beer. Confused me. I'm used to flipping shit around and rethinking it, but that's like books and music and my own forms of expression. That's not beer. Beer is a beverage. Not an art. You can't have meaningful arguments over its interpretations and receptions. You can't waste your time and energy--your precious brain cells and life--you can't waste those things on something that's supposed to be pure enjoyment.

But wherever there's enjoyment there's toil. There are people there. There is labor that has gone into your enjoyment. There is something--it might not be work, it might not be creation--but there's _something_ there that took effort. And effort isn't effort if it's blind.

So someone's eyes have to be open. And someone has to pay attention to what's going on. And someone, somewhere, is going to think to his or her self "hey, why is this good" or "why is this bad," and begin examining it. And their examinations will maybe make them join in the field. Or maybe they'll form a valuable opinion that will help shape the field. You can't abandon it because you don't want the intellectual challenge. You can't help run from your thoughts or your opinions.

It's been a while. But I have to say that I like this beer even though it's a hop bomb. It's a goddamn simple hop bomb and that makes it goddamn intersting hop bomb. Tons of spicy hops make it explode into a citrus hop. I never realized that that was how it works, that it was just a change of intensity that completely changes flavors. Does this mean that all flavors are one, parts of a different spectrum that effects different, imagined flavors when the intensity is brought up an down? No. BUT it takes a pretty goddamn fantastic beer to make someone think like that.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured properly into the terrific new Sam Adams custom designed beer glass. Appears golden and very hazy. The haze comes from the extraordinary levels of hops incorporated into the beer - the resins and acids are so intense they turn the beer cloudy. A white head with large bubbles lasts a long time and leaves lacing on the glass. Aroma displays huge floral hop essences and subtle malt sweetness in the background. Flavor offers a luscious interplay of hop complexity (bitterness and flavor) along with a smooth, firm, biscuity, malt sweetness.

This beer offers a great opportunity to see what a huge hop bomb of a beer can taste like when made with noble hops instead of the typical west coast varieties most of us have had the opportunity to sample. I find the hop character from hallertauer to be more complex and in many ways smoother than what american hops typically contribute.

This beer is not for everyone, but whether you like these hops or not (and I obviously do), this beer is a must-try for any hop enthusiast. Try it now, cause with all the hop shortages we're now starting to experience I expect it will be a long time before you see a beer like this again.

Bravo to BBC for this one.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Serving: 12oz bottle poured into pint glass.
Appearance: beautiful hazy gold. Cannot see through the glass.
Smell: Hello, hops!
Taste: Wow! There's a kick in the taste buds! Hallertau, it is. No joke there. Hops most definitely dominate. Delicious and bitter, spicy and floral. Simply amazing, with just enough malt to remind you that there's barley in there somewhere.
Mouthfeel: Smooth, crisp, sharp, biting, dry. About what you'd expect for something called "Hallertau Imperial Pilsner"
Drinkability: Rough and sharpt, but I can imagine that after a couple when the taste buds warm up to the shock, this would be quite the exceptional drink. Fantastich.

Notes: This is my first beer review. Hooray! I received this beer as a gift from my boss (both of us are beer "snobs" and home brewers) for Christmas.
As easy as it is to talk s*** about Sam Adams, I actually have a lot of respect for the company. Sure they're "mass produced", but they've helped start the craft brew revolution, which I've noticed is becoming more and more popular with every day (Coors' Blue Moon series; look at what AB/Michelob is brewing) and I commend them for that. Plus, as this beer clearly demonstrates, they haven't given in to the pull of pure, sweet, dollars and still produce some damn fine brews. Hells yeah, son. Drink this now!

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: Smoggy sunset orange-yellow, sunflowery in color, hazed and speckled with tiny flecks of hops. Spotty parchment off-white head with good, but patchy, retention.

Smell: Hops - Hallertau hops, piney, sage-herbal, floral, very resiny, and just a bit cheesy. Malts are true to the Pilsener name, sweet, clear, and honey-like.

Taste: Wow. The hops here are amazing. Have you ever been on a brewery tour where they have raw, dried hops for visitors to smell? And have you ever taken just a little taste of one? Yeah, it's like that. Very, very leafy, very floral, like rose petals or lavender or oregano with a hint of chamomile. Awesome. Surprisingly not too aggressive, but it is plenty bitter. Malts stand respectfully in the background. They are remarkably light, yet strong enough to provide balance, with a very pleasant, very honey-like flavor that enhances the hops' floral qualities.

Mouthfeel: Frothy, chewable, dry, and lip-smackingly sticky.

Drinkability: Amazing! This is like liquid hops, but not too extreme - not too sweet, and it doesn't land like a lupulic firebomb on the palate. It's just pure, flavorful hops!

4.63/5  rDev +14%

12 oz. bottle with a simple classic label. This label has the name of the beer in big bold red letters and the sentence "An Intense Hop Experience" with the word Intense underlined. All of this is on top of a vintage picture of Hallertau hops. To the far right is the Government warning and to the left is the freshness date of January 2009. Just in time! The back label talks about the Hallertau hops and the beer itself. The neck has a blood red label of the same vintage hop picture that appears on the main label. You can't miss this beer because it's capped with a blood red cap.

I poured this Sam Adams beer into my DFH pint glass. "Imperial Pilsner" poured a beautiful hazy and bright golden tangerine orange. From a distance it looked to be a solid gold color, but a closer inspection showed that it was an orange color. Either way, it was a great color! The color of the beer was eye candy. I couldn't get enough of it. On top of this golden orange beer was a 1/2 an inch head of pearl white foam. This head of foam had really good retention that left behind a long lasting white film and a few spots of white lace. I've seen golden tangerine orange colored beers before, but none of those were as intense as this beer's color. You need to see it for yourself!

Not only was the appearance great, but the aroma as well. The aroma really showcased the Hallertau hops. It was a very hoppy aroma! Following the strong bitter Hallertau hops scent was a hint of tart grapefruit, tart lemons, a subtle splash of coriander, and a tiny touch of toasted malts to send it off. How anything got pass the 2 tons of bitter Hallertau hops is beyond me.

What a well balanced hugely hopped Pilsner! Even though the label said to drink it before January, I don't think the hop content died down any. It had the same level of hop content when I first drank this beer back in December. A few weeks of age didn't do anything to the hop content. Well anyway, this Imperial Pilsner started off with toasted malts and immediately following the malts was the taste of bitter Hallertau hops. It wasn't just a simple taste of hops, no it was more like a 100 mph kick to your taste buds. These hops kicked around my taste buds like they were a soccer ball. They were that strong! Then when the hops had enough, in comes more toasted malts. This beer was not just about hops and malt. There were other flavors in between the cracks of the hops and malts. Hiding in between the hops and malts was a little tart grapefruit, a hint of tart lemon, and a slight pinch of sweet caramel. Great taste!

This was a medium to full bodied Imperial Pilsner that contained an ever lasting bitter hoppy aftertaste. This aftertaste was bitter with Hallertau hops, grapefruit, lemons, and even a little toasted malts. It takes about 2 gallons of water to completely wash away this strong bitter aftertaste. I wouldn't eat any food with this because this beer strong bitter hop content will completely take over your sense of taste.

What an exceptional Imperial Pilsner! There's no doubt about it! This beer had a top notch appearance, a huge bitter scent of Hallertau hops, a well balanced hugely hopped taste, and a bitter aftertaste that won't go away. How could I not like this beer? A 4 pack of this great beer won't last long. Even if you don't like Sam Adams beers, this is one beer you need to try for yourself. Way to go Sam Adams!

4.63/5  rDev +14%

A- Pours a cloudy golden color. A one finger foamy head. A nice stream a carbonation bubbles from the bottom of the glass. It leaves a nice coating of foam on the inside of the glass as the beer goes down.

S- HOPS! Also has a slight bready sweetness almost hidden in the hops.

T- Starts with a hop/alcohol, slightly bready flavor which dissapears and leaves a very grassy hop aftertaste.

M- Somewhat thick and creamy.

D- VERY drinkable! This is one hoppy brew but it's amazingly smooth. I could and will drink more of these.

These ain't cheap but SA definately gives you your money's worth with this brew.

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy golden orange with a two finger head that dissipates slowly leaving a thin veil of foam and sticky lacing.

Hmm! Smells like, would you believe, hops?

Overbalanced hops over malt. How close can a Double IPA and a Double Pilsner be? So hoppy it reminds me of Ruination.

Smooth and coating, great brew.

Pretty drinkable stuff. Glad I was able to locate some. Availability locally was in question, picked this up on my run across the state line to Maryland.

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

One of my favorite beers, hands down. The hoppiness is rich, well crafted and nicely spicy, while the smooth and firmly sweet lager malt base balances just enough to let the delicious hop character shine.

Few beers are this hoppy and yet so darn drinkable, if fact, they only one I can think of off the top of my head is Sierra Nevada’s Celebration Ale. I really Sam Adam’s Imperial Pilsner is on that level…

Highly recommended…

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

A - Great looking hazy light orange color with a thick frothy head that slowly dissipates leaving an ever so thin lacing on the glass.

S - Very inviting citrus hoppy aroma with an almost banana-like smell in the mix. This one smells deadly and I mean that in a good way.

T - Man I love this beer! Starts off with just enough malts to keep it honest and then bam! Hops all over the palate. Delicious spicy swallow this one is. Strong aftertaste which would be off putting to some but not me.

M - Medium bodied almost creamy, adequately carbonated.

D - This one is definitely a sipper at 8.8% and with the intense hoppiness.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

Served in 20 oz. draft cup at Uno's in Kenmore Square before Game 2 of the ALCS. I was surprised to find it there. The barmaid asked whether I was sure I wanted it, implying that other patrons had been turned off by the brew. I assured her that I did - and was pleasantly surprised to be charged only $6 for 20oz at such an establishment.

In any case, what can I say? It is a bit shocking to experience such full-blown hop assault from a lager-style brew, but it is simply delicious. And I think the malt held up its end of the bargain, providing just the right level of sweetness. I was not able to savor the drink for long as my party was getting ready to head to our seats at Fenway, but that drink was the least disappointing aspect of that long night. Go Sox!!

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer is as advertised: Intense.

A: Cloudy enough to render this opaque. Brassy body with a thin white head.

S: You just got clubbed in the nose with a Hallertauer Hop bat. Yeah, so this should be expected but, this is has a big hop aroma. Pithy, pulpy, pine needles, grapefruit, and lemon zest. Very aromatic.

T: The question that immediately runs through your mind as this floods your mouth is "What was the safety word, again?" Then you begin to like it. Yeah you do...You like that immense bitterness and the utter abuse of hops here, don't you? Yeah, you like the explosion of flavor in your mouth with each swallow of this delicious brew, don't you? This review is making you feel dirty, isn't it?

M: Full is an understatement on the body. The carbonation is ridiculously close perfect but just a hair high.

D: If you do not like this beer you are either A) a Zima fan, B) not a Hop fan, or C) dead.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

A light pour into a Pilsner glass produced a huge meringue head, with a slight eggshell hue, and superior retention that created almost glass coating lacing. A hazey golden-bronze color when held to light. The moderately high carbonation ascends slowly, like the beer is thick and viscous, giving me a hint of what I am in for. Surprising amount of sediment in bottle, I decanted it into the beer.

Could smell the hops before I was even finished pouring it. Wonderfully complex hop nose of spicy, floral, citric, and resiny pine from the Hallertau MF with a slightly sweet malt background, which could be slightly more pronounced.

Head is very dense and creamy with minty spicey taste.

The flavor is unparalleled. The taste is a pleasant walk through alpha-acid land. The hops are in full showcase without being too bitter. There is a nice semisweet pale malt backbone that combines with the hops to be a great balanced flavor that almost totally hides the 8.8%. An great example of the style that emphasizes the correct characteristics and hops, but could be a little more malty. The finish is great, only being slightly drying from the hop bitterness.

The mouthfeel is nice and weighty and lets you know the beer has some heft. The beer has nice weight and carbonation levels for taste and style.

The drinkability is high, I would love to have several, but I can tell that the alcohol would get me if I drank two. The drinkability is so good that I am almost drinking it to fast to review, but I wish there was slightly less alcohol.

I hope S.A. makes this a yearly release despite the current shortage. I also thought this was rather affordable at less that $9.00 a 4 pack, I mean this is quality beer.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Purchased at "From the Vine" in Columbus, OH. Poured into a glorified, fancy water glass. Two-finger head with heavy lacing. A fair amount of bubbles cling to the side of the glass with a decent amount of carbonation. Very hazy with a dull, orange color.

Interesting aroma with caramel malt that hits off the nose followed by an intense (see the bottle label) of pineapple, tangerine smelling hops. I can also make out some alcohol notes but not much.

As a diehard hophead I am enamored by this beer. Your taste buds dance with the biscuity malts where upon the hops step in and slam dance on your palate. You are left with a gratifying dryness in the back of your mouth that demands more of the intoxicating liquid. Sign me up as a fan of Hallertau hops or at least,a fan of A LOT of Hallertau hops.

Surprisingly enough, as many have mentioned, the alcohol content is masked well. I had one the other night and spent all day at work today (Friday) day-dreaming of enjoying this offering. By far, this is the most impressive offering I have had from Sam Adams. Props to the boys in Beantown and I can't wait to pick up another 4-pack.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

12 oz bottle purchased as part of a 4 pack from my local Publix store for 8.99. Poured into my Pilsner Urquell glass.

A: I do not know if this is normal for this beer, but it gushed on me as soon as I popped the cap. The bubbles kept coming as I poured it into the glass. I could not get the entire bottle poured due to 4 inches of head in the glass. The head didn't start to settle until I took a sip. The narrow glass really helped the head retention and lacing was all over the sides of the glass. The color was a very clear light orange color. It gets a lot of points for retention and lacing here.

S: Hops, hops, and more hops. This doesn't smell like your typical Boston Beer company balanced beer. The sweet malt aroma does come through a bit as well. It definitely makes my mouth water.

T: Once again... hops, hops, and more hops. This is my kind of pilsner! I was a little hesitant to believe the hype around this beer since although Sam Adams makes some very fine brews, I have never had one that would make a hop heads mouth water. They are usually extremely balanced. This one is totally dominated by hops which is appropriate for this style. The hops leave a nice oily slickness to the mouth. I would characterize the hop taste as piney. I am starting to wish I had not split the 4 pack with my friend since this is one of a very few pilsners I have really enjoyed.

M: With the level of carbonation I expected the mouthfeel to be intense from the overload of bubbles. However, it turned out to be very creamy and smooth. It has a medium body and is enjoyable to roll on the tongue to increase the hoppy bite in the after taste.

D: For an imperial brew that is this high in ABV and hop bitterness, I still find it remarkably drinkable. All the characteristics of this make it into a perfect brew for me to session when I want a hop fix.

Samuel Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)