LongShot Grape Pale Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

LongShot Grape Pale AleLongShot Grape Pale Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.35% ABV

Beer added by: alexgash on 02-08-2008

to view more.
Ratings: 247 | Reviews: 221
2.8/5  rDev -14.6%

purple colored liquid with the bright pink top just seemed wrong. Lacing held up for a little while, but it was not long before it faded to leave a weird grape soda looking liquid. Small aroma of alcohol and faint, fake fruit notes come through the air

2.6/5  rDev -20.7%

Reviewed 4/17/2008 (bottle):

Pours an amber colored body, with a smallish off-white colored head that is somewhat lasting. Has a very alcoholy and grapey aroma, with some maltiness. Has a very light nutty taste. A good body. With a sweet light taste to it.

2.95/5  rDev -10.1%

12 oz. bottle tried 15 Mar 2008.

Large tight yellow white foamy head. Medium carbonation. Clear coppery color. Aroma is a mix of crisp grapes and dry earthiness. Grapes are evident but not overwhelming. Seems like the hops have gone AWOL. Some light maltiness and grape muddled together. Aftertaste is reminiscent of grape KoolAid.

Nice to try but would not get this again.

3.45/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a clear redish copper color with no head at all. No lacing at all either.

Smell is sort of malty and a slight grape aroma. A little hop smell comes through as well.

Taste is ok with a small grape flavor and some malt background. Not really a hop flavor or character so I dont think I would call it a pale ale.

Mouth feel is pretty good. Maybe a little viscous for the style.

Drinability is ok because it is good enough to try because it is different but I wouldn't buy it again. Nothin really special...

2.44/5  rDev -25.6%

12oz bottle into my Sam Smith pint

A: Mildly hazy copper with a solid off-white head with good retention and nice lacework

S: Saccharine grape flavor with a dull hop aroma. Overly sweet

T: Very sweet up front, cloyingly so with a thick, sugar syrup flavor with a very rich caramel sweetness. Quite bad. Dryish finish with some grape-like sweetness

M: Too full for an APA, decent carbonation, though

D: Not gonna bother with this one.

2.88/5  rDev -12.2%

Not bad. Pours clear lighter gold with a big white head. Caramel malt and white grapes in the nose. Not a bad taste, very light. Metallic taste with bitter malt and sweet grapes. I will say, this is the only beer I have ever had where the grapes taste as fresh in the beer as when they were picked. Worth trying.

2.67/5  rDev -18.6%

I'm not a big fan a fruit beer, and this beer is why. It's just not what I'm into I guess.

Not impressive at all. I think grapes are good in the darker stronger beers. Kinda like in Dogfish Head's Raison D'Etra. I like than one, but I don't like this Longshot winning beer.

Don't know how it won?

3.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Reviewed on 3/24/08. Bottle. Pours a reddish-orange color with a nice white head. Aroma of wheat, also I got some prune and light fruits. Taste of wheat (predominantly), honey (only slightly), and some sour grape (also hard to taste, but it was there!). Mouthfeel was a bit thicker, stickier than I'd expect from a pale ale. Also pretty sweet. Hmm...I'm not sure why more people don't like this beer, I thought it was an excellent example of a fruity pale ale (wouldn't classify this as a fruit beer though...). I think people are deceived by the name, but I enjoyed the subtle sour grape taste admidst a nice, sweet pale ale. 7/4/7/4/13 (3.5/5)

3.83/5  rDev +16.8%

A) Deep amber glass holds a stocky, sticky head that laces nicely.

S) Malty, fruity (grape obviously) esters.

T) Malt driven, not a lot of grape flavor, but what's there is purple grape jam and mostly in the finish. The base beer makes me think Oktoberfest.

M) Smooth medium body with firm carbonation

O) English Pale Ale? I'm really struggling with the underlying style, which makes me think it's a style orphan. That's ok, it's a nice bottle.

3.66/5  rDev +11.6%

For a fruit beer, this has to be the top in my books.

Sweet. Clear. Crisp.

Very enjoyable.

Congrats to the Brewer. You did an excellent job.

Saying this, I am not one that seeks out fruit in my beer. In fact, I am not one that seeks out FRUIT period, especially Fruity Beer. To me, fruit belongs in the refridge or a breakfast cereal, not in a beer.

HOWEVER, this is a beer that I could seem myself drinking a few of. Very refreshing. In fact, if this was still available in our area, I might seek out another 6 pack.

Grapes, I can see, belong in alcoholic drinks. But Raisins, Prunes, Figs, Dates....NO WAY!!

Just my two cents. Take it or Take it.

4.08/5  rDev +24.4%

Enjoyed in a pint glass.

A: Aggressive pour yields 2 fingers of off-white head with good retention. Clear dark gold with slight haze.

S: Crisp hoppiness with a tart green grape note. Caramel malt smell. Good but not terribly complex

T: Grape is not grapey at all. Thank goodness - I was scared. It tastes like a bitter. Very tasty with very subtle fruitiness. Almost like the citrus aspect in a hefeweizen or the crispness in a wild ale. Interesting, a very bright pale ale. The grape and hop flavor mix very well, an excellent choice in the varietal of hop used.

M: A little astringent, though smooth and likable. Some fizzy carbonation.

D: Solid. I could have a few of these. Very tasty.

3.1/5  rDev -5.5%

How did this one win the Longshot competition? It's way too undercarbonated and doesn't even taste like grapes! Maybe a mild hint at the end but for the most part it's a bland, light pale ale. I'm amazed this beer beat out others as I would not seek it out.

Appearance- It poured into my glass with a very thick off white head. It has a good bronze/amber body.

Smell- It has just a plain malt and hops aroma nothing out of the ordinary.

Taste- It is not as hoppy as one would think for an IPA. There is a strong maple syrup like taste. It is fruity but I did not think it resembled grape.

Mouthfeel- Thick bodied for an IPA.

Drinkability- Average.

3.73/5  rDev +13.7%

Have had about three of the Longshot six packs since it released. Saw them again on the shelves yesterday and snatched one up.

Grape Pale Ale, pours a cloudy golden amber body, with some thin head and lacing atop.

Aromas of caramel malt and toned down fruit esters.

Flavor is straight forward, with a leashing of minor complexities.
Tangy and citrusy with a small backing of roasty carmalized malt.
Light green grapes, white wine grapes, and slight floral bitters.
A nice dabble of these pop out during start, middle, and finish.

A solid drinker, and a nice offering. Good, not extraordinary. Definitely worth checking this one out - and the Weizenbock is incredible.

2.96/5  rDev -9.8%

***From the back of the fridge. Time to get rid of summer beers**

A- Pale, orangish brown, clear. Head is 1/4" and does not stick around. A few loose bubbles are still floating on top.

S- Fruity like light white grape jam, no hop profile but a honey aroma floating around. Way too sweet.

T- Sweet and fruity, no bitterness. Green apples, white grapes, and subtle lemon notes. If the hops were stepped up, I think it would work better. The sweetness just dominates totally; nothing to counteract. Very one dimensional.

M- Thin in the mouth to medium and low to medium carbonation.

D- Too sweet and not very drinkable to me. Not refreshing and just kind of weird. I'm not sure how this beer won, but whatever.

Edit: I rank this one right up there with the SA Cranberry Lambic, or down there; however you want to look it.

3.16/5  rDev -3.7%

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours a medium amber color, with about a half-inch off white head with good retention, settling into moderate lace.

Aroma has mild grape notes, a touch of sweet malt, and maybe a hint of hop presence.

Flavor has mild grape, very light malt, and finishes dry with no real bitterness.

Medium body, with moderately-high carbonation. Carbonation gives it a bit of a bite. Overall not bad, but not something I would drink on a regular basis.

2.76/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (dating notches on label) into a pint glass. It was a clear orangish amber color and had a ton of carbonation. A bit of lacing. It had a finger and a half of white fizzy head that slowly settled down to a thin foam.

The aroma was very weak. It's really hard to pick out a dominant aroma. I get some grape but it's weak and in the back along with some citrus. Some sweet malt as well. Just not much there. Unfortunately the taste followed the aroma. Weak and not much there. It wasn't bad but it wasn't enjoyable either. Tasted like a macro or watered down beer.

Overall, I got it on a whim and got what I paid for. It's OK and is drinkable but why drink it when so much other good beer out there. Only recommend if your just looking for an easy beer to knock off your list.

3.63/5  rDev +10.7%

a: Nice amber color with a good head and lasting lace.

s: Refreshing, slightly fruity, slightly hoppy aroma.

t: May not match up too well to the "pale ale" title but it is refreshing, drinkable, with a hoppy finish that leaves an aftertaste in your mouth as if you have just eaten a fresh green grape.

m: Light, refreshing carbonation

d: Unique in a good way. I'd have another if I had the opportunity.

3.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Appearance: Rich amber color with a decent off-white head that leaves quite a good amount of lacing

Aroma: Almost smells like a malty apple cider, there's some real brown sugar sweetness lurking here

Taste: A lot more malty than I had expected, it's sweet with some nice tart crispness to balance it all out. I'm getting some fruit, but I can't decide if it's grapes that are coming through though (is it green apples I'm tasting?)

Mouthfeel: Well balanced carbonation with a decidedly light body

Drinkability: Goes down nice and easy, this is a beer in the middle of the spectrum

Verdict: A well balanced malty Pale Ale with a unique twist of sweet fruit

3.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a medium amber color with moderate off-white creamy head. Average retention and some nice lacing.

Smell shows some bready maly, but even though i am trying to fing it, i just cannot detect any grape.

Taste has a strong maly character with some berry fruitiness way in the background.

Taste rapidly disipates.

A somewaht unbalanced beer. The frutiness is suppressed, and whether it is grape or not, it is hard to find. Once and done.

3.28/5  rDev 0%

"When the water of a place is bad, it is safest to drink none that has not been filtered through either the berry of a grape or else a tub of malt. These are the most reliable filters yet invented."

--Samuel Butler

Polished orange with butter rum borders. The beige crown, which picks up a hint of color from the beer beneath, is tight-bubbled and firm. It has an appealing look and is doing a pretty good job of lace deposition. So much for the beer looking like either grape jelly or Chardonnay.

The nose, while fruity, isn't very grape-like. It isn't maple syrup-like either. I was amazed to see that ingredient listed on the label. White (green) grapes and maple syrup? What an odd combination. The nose isn't bad, but it doesn't make a positive impression either. Not even close.

This LongShot offering tastes a little bit better than it smells. It also deserves credit for uniqueness. That's pretty much it for bestowing praise. This is a decent enough ale, but I'm having trouble understanding how it won a nationwide competition. I've had several bottles of homebrew that were light years better than this.

GPA tastes like an underhopped (balanced) pale ale that is slightly more fruity than usual. It would be nice if the flavor was more obviously grape-like. I still don't get much, if any, maple sugar flavor, although the sweetness that it provides is noted. Yeah, okay, it's all somewhat interesting, but this isn't a beer that I need to drink again.

The body/mouthfeel is decent. Maybe a fraction light, but not too far out of line. At least the bubbles are neither too numerous nor too scarce.

I passed on a sixer of this brew earlier this summer because I wasn't sure that it would be good enough to justify that many bottles. Good call. If BBC is considering releasing Grape Pale Ale again, put me down for a 'don't bother'. Thanks to barefootbrewer for the toss-in.

3.47/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a: golden body, thin white head.

s: complex sweet malty nose.

t: sweet toasted malt, maple syrup, modest hops with a complex sweetness to it. grapes are in there, but their flavor is not dominant. if this is a pale ale, where are the hops?

m: typical SA mouthfeel, smooth.

d: Easy drinking, not overly sweet. A very different take on fruit beer.

1.72/5  rDev -47.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

For a pale ale, there's no hop aroma to be found and pretty much no hop flavor or bitterness either. Instead, there's a bit of fruitiness in the aroma, but not something that appeals to me. The flavor is also a bit fruity, but again not something that appeals to me. The description on the bottle actually sounds quite interesting with it's "pale ale after biting into a fresh, seedless, green, grape" description. Unfortunately, this brew totally fails to deliver on the description. I'm getting some fruitiness in the flavor, but I doubt I would guess it's from grapes. Instead, it's more of an apple/pear fruitiness...almost a little like what is sometimes found in some German weizen brews. Actually, that's probably giving this brew much more credit than it is due. In the end, this brew is not memorable at all. One bottle was more than I could finish (it got especially bad as it warmed)...so the next two are destined to be drain-poured. The only positive thing I can say about the Grape Pale Ale is that it came paired with three bottles of excellent Weizenbock. (Paying $7 just for the three weizenbocks is almost worth it!). Additionally, I would certainly buy that weizenbock from Sam Adams if it was a regular, year-round, sixpack, brew. Hey, SA...please make the weizenbock a regular product along with your truly outstanding Hallertau Impy Pils!

3.76/5  rDev +14.6%

The beer poured with a clear amber color and some pretty good lacing but minimal head. Aromas were a little too faint from what I thought it could be. I can definitely sense some malts and hops and even some slight grassy aspects, but grape? Once you can bury your nose in the drink, you can sense the fruity aspects of it, but it is not too strongly grape. Still aromically nice and even delicately fruity, but more of a mixture of fruits than a grape. Definitely can sense the aspects of a pale ale though. Taste-wise is superior to what can be sensed through the smell. Definitely a hint of grape there, with a sweet-sourish fruit-malt balance. Mouthfeel is crisp and light; definitely a pretty refreshing and sweet beer thanks to its body. Overall, if you can get beyond its lackluster aroma, you will get a solid drink.

2.49/5  rDev -24.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear reddish golden color with a small 1/8" head of small tannish bubbles that faded rather quickly back into the beer. There are very few bubbles rising to maintain the head.

Aroma: My first impression was obscured, and I wasn't sure what I was getting...so I let it sit. After the beer settled a bit, I can pick up something that I am assuming is the grape, but it is giving the beer a bit of a phenolic impression to me. I didn't get any hops to speak of at first, but they found their way into the aroma as the beer warmed up a bit.

Taste: The flavor is interesting. The grapes add a bit of a floral impression to the flavor that still comes across to me as being a bit phenolic...almost medicinal. I guess this was white grapes as there is a bit of a sharpness to this beer that is a tad sour to me. The finish is a bit watery, so it is hard to tell who is in charge. I am going with the malt, but it is only by a nose.

Opinion: Well, I am certainly glad that I don't have a case of this beer. I don't really get much Pale Ale characteristics unless it is a slant on a British example of the style. That being the case, the toasty malts are lacking. I don't know, this beer just doesn't really "do it for me"...you know what I mean? I would certainly drink it over Miller Lite...and (depending on my mood) over Iced Tea...but not over a beer with some flavor and balance.

to view more.
LongShot Grape Pale Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)