LongShot Grape Pale Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

LongShot Grape Pale AleLongShot Grape Pale Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.35% ABV

(Beer added by: alexgash on 02-08-2008)
3.4/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a clear dark amber. Little to no head. Zero lacing.

Cider like aroma at first which fades into a slightly yeasty, grainy finish.

Slightly sweet, grainy. Very dry. Hardly a hint of hops to be found.

Very light bodied. This beer almost reminded me of Rolling Rock. And in another striking resemblance it is also very drinkable like RR. Not a bad beer, just very unremarkable.

Ieatlambfries, Feb 29, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +29.6%

Pours a brilliantly clear orange amber with just a tinge of chill haze into my bulbous Sam Adams glass. A loose a bubbly off white head stays at 3/4" while a moderate amount of visible carbonation rises. Nice thin sheets of lace.

A rounded vanilla sweetness creeps upward in the nose while the fresh smell of peeled green grapes are apparent. Kind of like a key lime pie, but with green grapes instead of key limes. No noticeable hop comes through directly, but there's definitely a fruitiness in the nose. The scent is almost layered whereas the creamy nougat-like vanilla hits you first, then the sweet, crisp and fruity faint grape appears - neat.

Wow, whatever hop disguise was going on in the nose was surely foiled when the first taste hit my mouth. Dry and fruity gentle hops bask my tongue while an extra dry cider flavor quickly follows. After I take a couple more quaffs, it's evident that the cider quality is not from apples, but from the grapes - quite nice. The combination is masterfully balanced and the flavors are very fresh and crisp. There is an oh-so faint caramel flavor way toward the end (when the dry crispness fades) that is derived from the maple syrup addition.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium bodied with a perky amount of fine carbonation. The extra dry flavor/texture in the beer is top notch, leaving a zippy clean finish.

Drinkability is sky high! I'm one gulp away from finishing my 12 oz. bottle and it seems like I just opened it.

Overall an interesting, unique and very tasty pale ale. The semi sweet & dryness really do it for me. It's reminiscent of an Orval in the dry texture with just the right hit of hops. Don't freak out everybody, I'm not at all comparing it to my beloved Orval, it's just the crispy dryness that's somewhat in the same vein - that's all. I do believe this beer very much exceeded my expectations, and that's a very good thing!

malty, Feb 29, 2008
3.78/5  rDev +15.2%

Congrats to Lili Hess!
12 oz. bottle> 16 oz. SA Glass.

A clear golden amber, big, slow bubbles that seems to struggle a bit but is able to form a very active, bubbly all-white head, moderate passed dissipation with some decent lacing left behind.

The nose is much less fruity than I would expect, which is fine because a nice spicey but buttery biscuit malt pops through nicely. Zesty wheat with an herbal zing, brown sugar and caramalized wheat with a mild green grapes and raspberry scent.

The flavor has a very rich, buttery-toffee malt that is balanced by a fruity, green grapes and peaches and starfruit. The hop is a mild earthy but mildly tangy effect that works very well. This is a uniquely balanced Pale ale, that's light on hops, big on malt and slightly fruity. not bad.

Medium body, hedy feeling because of the malt, more slick than crisp. A very smooth Pale ale.

This is not my favorite style, but this one is done well, with only light grape and fruit effects overall.

GratefulBeerGuy, Feb 28, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Bottle into a St. Arnold pint glass.

A: One-fingered, off-white head that dissipates quickly. Color is dark amber to caramel.

S: Malt predominantly featured in the nose with along with some light hop notes, metal, and a slight grape presence.

T: The palate first experiences malt, then gives way to a slight hop bitterness, and the taste concludes with a grape/metallic finish.

M: Mouthfeel is moderate, both in terms of thickness and carbonation.

D: Very smooth drinking. The only detraction is the slightly metallic finish.

Decent beer. I was glad to be able to try it.

LonghornBrewer, Feb 28, 2008
2.15/5  rDev -34.5%

Sampled on 2-27-08
Best before July 2008

Pours a clear amber/gold color, with a pleasant foamy white head and rings of lacing.

Smell is nothing. Kind of macro, a hint of malt, a bit vegetable harshness.

Taste is ghastly. A sickeningly sweet High Life-style malt gives way to a vegetable kick right in the middle. Acidic, harsh, and appallingly bad.

Mouthfeel is decent, carbonation is well-placed.

Drinkability is poor, the flavors are poor and the aftertaste is very difficult to live with.

Overall, another disappointment. LongShot, indeed.

BMoney575, Feb 28, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours brilliantly clear light copper, almost pink in color. Head is a slight white ring that dissipates until it completely disappears.

Aroma is sweet caramel malt, with a slight metallic note.

Taste is mild and balanced. Initial sweet light fruit and pale malt changes to a tart bitterness in the dry finish. Lingering metallic and diacetyl butteryness.

Mouthfeel is light bodied.

A nice change of pace. Strangely I'm reminded of an English style ale (although this is fruitier). Worth a try.

Blakaeris, Feb 28, 2008
3.33/5  rDev +1.5%

This home brew winner, as member Gehrig pointed out, is probably best in the summer. Appropriate when you consider the recipe creator lives in Hawaii. Poured into a pilsener glass, this ale has a lively copper color with not much of a nose to speak of. The use of grape flavor and maple syrup give this a honey beer approach, light and lively and refreshing. It does seem like a lot of trouble to produce such a delicate beer. But perhaps that is because the LONGSHOT presentation gives it unnecessary gravitas.

thebeerdoctor, Feb 27, 2008

From this year's offering, I'm sampling this beer in a pint glass at fridge temperature.

Appearance- Rich, reddish gold hue which supports a supple head and leaves a phenomenally large, opaque sheet of lacing down the inside of the glass. Blazing color, a fiery looking brew.

Smell- A cross between a pale ale and Gewürztraminer... there's definitely a sweet, vinous aspect to the aroma. The biscuity malt aroma and fresh hop notes create quite the enjoyable nasal sensation.

Taste- Intriguing, complex, and worth studying here for a few moments. This really blends wine's long, lasting legs and the beer's fresh, quick bite... an impressive combination that really comes off great. The depth of the finish, right after the swallow, is interesting because it's not your traditional pale ale bitterness... instead, it's more like a barrel-fermented white wine.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Clearly the highlight of this beer's attributes, the mouthfeel is perfection. Responsive, slick, smooth, and very much alive, it showcases the finish better than any other beer in any category from recent memory. With all of that said, I wouldn't drink more than one at a sitting. It's an enigma, one that challenges the mind and palate in a bold, unique way/

yelterdow, Feb 27, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +12.2%

A - Pours a clear medium brown color with a slight orange tint. About 1.5 fingers of white creamy head topped it, then dissipated quickly to a light covering. Some minor lacing.
S - Aroma of grape juice is strong. A hint of sweet wine is underneath. Slightly alcoholic.
T - Grapes is the first very noticeable taste followed by a slight hoppy presence. Very refreshing and clean.
M - Light to medium body, medium carbonation, and not much bite. Clean and smooth.
D - I'm wondering if the Longshot beers tend to be a little too novelty. It's good, don't get me wrong. I could drink several, but overall it doesn't seem very complex. Maybe simple is good here, though?

TYE, Feb 27, 2008

Pours a brilliant golden-amber in color, topped with a light tan head which subsides quickly. Nose is fairly malt-focused with large biscuit and a lighter caramel note. There's a touch of diacetyl here but it's not enough to prove bothersome in this ale. There's a note of spicy hop which I hadn't noticed on my first go-round with this beer, but it's nothing too sharp. The Grape in the name may seem a little curious at first, but there are definitely notes of white and golden grape skins and pulp here, and they blend fairly well and might be difficult for some to detect -- Concorde grapes these are not. Rather more fruity on the initial sip than the nose would have you believe, there's a dry, biscuity component following midway through the palate right alongside that buttery quality from earlier. Rather vegetal (and slightly vinuous) as well, reminds me of the first time I tried a Chablis (or Catawba) with a meal as a child. Alcohol pops out a bit here, not by any means hot but with such a light and subtle taste as this ale possesses it does stand out a little. Lighter citric notes from the hops tend to pop out as well, but I wish there were A) more hop presence or B) more of a yeast character -- this just seems a bit too light and almost too tentative. Worth trying once for me, but I don't see myself going back for another six pack. Note: I didn't get a chance to pair this with anything that would complement it very well, but I'm thinking mild cheeses.

Chaz, Feb 27, 2008
3.7/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours clear golden with a thick white head that has good retention. Looks vibrant and attractive. Thick layers of lacing left on the glass surface.

The smell is mild malt, light fruit, and maybe some spice from the hops or yeast but it is very faint.

The taste is very mild. This beer has a solid light malt profile with just a touch of the fruit complimenting the malt. The grapes play second to the malt. Not overly sweet and finishes clean. Light body with sufficient carbonation makes drinkability high. A solid if not unremarkable beer.

morimech, Feb 26, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +9.1%

I saw this at the terrific local Piccadilly and, with the Weizenbock as the other Long Shot, picked up one of each. Grape Pale Ale presents itself quite well, offering a clear amber body topped by two fat fingers of white froth--a very good beginning. However, the nose is somewhat faint, with fruit and bready malt inching forward. The taste is good, smooth and sweet, with the grape clearly present, but it lacks complexity. A sweet and sour combination would be great, but this only has the former.

This is certainly a fine effort, very drinkable and pretty good on the whole. Yet for those looking for something overwhelming, this isn't it. Still, this is something Sam Adams should consider marketing in the summer, for it would make a nice accompaniment to their warm-weather releases.

Gehrig, Feb 26, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +9.1%

I felt I made a mistake when this was popped open at the bar and I read the "grape" and "maple syrup"... but when I smelled it and tasted it, I realized these were very subtle contributors that added rather than detracted from the light malt base. The appearance is light gold/pink. There are subtle/pleasant hints of grape and maybe green apple in the smell. The taste was OK and balanced with fruits and sugars, the grape being detectable. No noticeable hops. The mouthfeel is light and carbonated. The beer overall seemed too light for my tastes, but nothing offensive here either.

Beercub, Feb 26, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +5.2%

Light fruity twang with deep malt full of chocolate, roast, and caramel-like aromas.

Honey amber color, good clarity, pretty good sized head.

Soft malt palate graces the tongue with deeper tones of herbal, perfumey hoppage and/or grape flavor. Toasty maltiness is quite dry, but maintains a nice harmony with the bright splashes of flower and fruit.

Not bad, but not particularly tasty or interesting. There's a pretty tight balance, but I never really get enough grape (better than getting too much, mind you). Not bad, not great.

MrHungryMonkey, Feb 26, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance: It's clear and golden-amber color. Head is foamy and about two fingers deep. Retention and lacing were good. Better than expected.

Smell: Light on the nose. Light citrus and hop aromas are notable. Somewhat grainy and earthy. That's about it. Pretty straight forward.

Taste: Very crisp and refreshing. Surprisingly good. It is citrusy sweet. There is a grape flavor, but it's well done. Hops are light and complement the citrus sweetness. Caramel malt sweetness balances out any residual bitterness. Not generally a positive for an APA in my opinion, but it works here. Grainy and earthy flavor on the tail.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied, well carbonated, and smooth. It is extremely crisp and would be excellent on a hot day. I'm very impressed with this. Much moreso than I expected to be. I could drink this all night. Overall, very solid beer. I only wish some of these homebrews were put into regular rotation. Check it out while you can.

prototypic, Feb 26, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -4%

A - Golden orange with tight bubbles racing to a thin white head that leaves spotty lacing.

S - Pale grainy malt, mild white grape juice and a touch of spicy hops.

T - Light grain with a mild hoppiness, a touch of grape juice and a slight honey like sweetness. Not sure if I could of picked out the grape if not on the label.

M - On the light side of medium with good carbonation.

D - Easy drinking and refreshing but not sure if I would have more than one.

brewcrew76, Feb 25, 2008
3.78/5  rDev +15.2%

Pour reveals a bronze body and a 2 finger white cap. Head settles quickly leaving a bit of lace.

I having a bit of trouble reviewing this one, as the flavors and smells are so subtle, but here we go.

The only thing I can really pick up in the nose is maybe a little caramel and faint grape (although I'm not sure I would pick up grape if I didn't know it was in there).

Slightly sweet crystal malts move to a dry, white winey finish. Subtle hop presence. Also a bit grainy in the finish. Definitely sessionable.

Mouthfeel is good. Light with lots of carbonation.

This isn't a knock your socks off beer, but it is a solid sessionable example. It isn't offensive whatsoever, but it lacks the oomph for me to buy it again at 1.99/12 oz bottle.

NBake, Feb 25, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a nice honey golden with a thin tan head. Just a bit of retention,and good lacing.Aroma is of sweet fruits. Very nice,but on the weak side. Body is medium,with just a bit of carnonation. Taste is fruity,mostly grape,with a bit of honey. Good stuff.

riversider76, Feb 24, 2008
3.28/5  rDev 0%

Into a 12-oz mug, this beer is a medium amber color, with a small but fading head. Sweet malty aroma, lightly fruity, but no particular hop aroma. Sweet taste as well, but where is the bitterness one expects from a "pale ale"? Fruity but not identifiably grape.

A light, drinkable beer on the sweet side, but disappointing for a beer that won a national competition.

allengarvin, Feb 24, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +18.9%

Part of this years (2008) Longshot 6'er. I paid ~$9 for a sixer @ Jack's. This is brewed with "natural grape flavor) and maple syrup. Interesting that it's brewed with grape flavor and not grapes.

Pours out to a brilliantly clear medium copper, fomring a modest soapy white head with poor retention and mild lacing. Carbonation is mild. The aroma opens with candy corn, toffeepears, vanilla, and when swirled, a little bit of Welsch's grape cocktail can be noted. Mouthfeel is mild with a medium-light body. Hrmmm...interesting flavor. I don't quite know what to make of it. This is an English Style pale fer sure...lots of toffee, caramel, and nut that one expects to find for the style, but in the end, there is this wierd distantly sweet grainy nuttiness. I wouldn't be able to tell that this was made with grape..it's not noticeable even if I concentrate. Hops are pretty mild if even noticeable as a faint flicker of herbal twang on the back of the tongue. Bitterness is very mild. Very peculiar...the last swig from the glass has a definite rauchbier smokiness that I didn't notice at first.

Eh....so so. Nothing that I would ever seek out or buy again. A good beer, but a novelty beer, IMO.

Mitchster, Feb 24, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -2.4%

Hmm a grape plae ale odd but I have to say it piqued my interest a little.Poured a clear medium to full golden with a tight formed one finger white head atop,mild aromas a hiint of white grape and toasty wet grain mainly.Grape flavors honestly play no part on the palate for me except adding a bit of sweetness its pretty grainy with no hop profile really.Hmmm I dont wanna bash Lili it is an interesting concept but it just doesnt come thru here its rather bland and not up to par with other lower end pale ales I can grab at the local store.

oberon, Feb 24, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -23.8%

The head was very light and was gone in a matter of seconds. A very deep amber color. A lot darker than I was expecting. Very clear, with a lot of bubbles going up through it.

A very non-distinct aroma. A slight sweet malt aroma with a little hops. I can't pick up any grape at all.

I can't pick up any of the grape flavor or maple syrup. Not at all what I was expecting. A slight sweet acidic flavor. I love white grape juice so I was really hoping for grape flavor.

At first it's very crisp, then a filmy dry coating in my mouth.

As I mentioned before, this beer wasn't at all what I was expecting. Overall, not a bad experience, but can't say I'd buy it again were it a regular Sam Adams brew.

Kallessin, Feb 24, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -3%

Pours a very cleat copper color.
Thick white head.

Smells of sweet malts. Not noticing much grape aroma.

Initial carbonation tickle on the tongue that fades the more AI drink the beer.
Not the grape flavor I was expecting. I thought I was going to get the bubble-gum/candy grape taste (I intentionally didn't read the bottle until after my review), the beer is a green soury-yet-sweet taste. No trace of hops.

A sweet tasting beer. The grape is not overbpowering at all. I didn't think I was going to like this, but I will have no problem finishing the LongShot 6-pack.

ricchezza, Feb 23, 2008
3.3/5  rDev +0.6%

Appearance: Pours a nice light copper color in the glass with a 2 finger head that recedes after about a minute. This beer is extremely clear.

Smell: This smells like your typical pale to my nose. Hops, a light amount of malt.

Taste: Easily stated, this is your average pale ale, with a bit less hops and a touch of green grape. Very unique.

Mouthfeel: Lightly carb'd, nice clean finish

Drinkability: Like the other longshot of 08, this is a very unique brew. I give Lili Hess, the creator, an A for the uniqueness, but the style is something am not overly passionate about.

Greggy, Feb 23, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a pretty standard copper color for an APA. Maybe a little lighter than most, but still fine. Head's there but not too big. No issues - looks good.
Smells sweet, but it's not quite as grape-centric as I expected. It just smells like a slightly sweeter ale that was potentially boozy. Hops are there, but not that strong.
The flavor starts off as kind of average, but then the grape flavors start to come out in the finish. Reminds me a lot of the Dogfish Midas and Jiahu brews. It's like a mild pale ale up front, but it finishes like a reisling wine. I'm also picking up a little bit of a yeasyness that reminds me a tiny bit of their cranberry lambic. Some more hops or even a stronger malt base could've helped. I didn't dislike it, but it's just not really my thing.
Texture's normal. Reminds me of a standard bitter that someone mixed 50/50 with Midas Touch.
I admire the uniqueness of this, but I don't think I'd buy it by itself. Might make for a great conversion beer, though.

Domingo, Feb 22, 2008
LongShot Grape Pale Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)