LongShot Grape Pale Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

LongShot Grape Pale AleLongShot Grape Pale Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.35% ABV

(Beer added by: alexgash on 02-08-2008)
View: Beers (127) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
SkeeterHawk

2.5/5  rDev -23.8%

Appearance: Pours a clear reddish golden color with a small 1/8" head of small tannish bubbles that faded rather quickly back into the beer. There are very few bubbles rising to maintain the head.

Aroma: My first impression was obscured, and I wasn't sure what I was getting...so I let it sit. After the beer settled a bit, I can pick up something that I am assuming is the grape, but it is giving the beer a bit of a phenolic impression to me. I didn't get any hops to speak of at first, but they found their way into the aroma as the beer warmed up a bit.

Taste: The flavor is interesting. The grapes add a bit of a floral impression to the flavor that still comes across to me as being a bit phenolic...almost medicinal. I guess this was white grapes as there is a bit of a sharpness to this beer that is a tad sour to me. The finish is a bit watery, so it is hard to tell who is in charge. I am going with the malt, but it is only by a nose.

Opinion: Well, I am certainly glad that I don't have a case of this beer. I don't really get much Pale Ale characteristics unless it is a slant on a British example of the style. That being the case, the toasty malts are lacking. I don't know, this beer just doesn't really "do it for me"...you know what I mean? I would certainly drink it over Miller Lite...and (depending on my mood) over Iced Tea...but not over a beer with some flavor and balance.

08-05-2008 06:33:29 | More by SkeeterHawk
burnstar

3.28/5  rDev 0%

Pours a clear slightly dark gold with a medium white head. Aroma is strong grape juice with maybe just a touch of herbal hops. Taste also has a very clear grape note. Fairly sweet. Some hop flavor in the finish provides some balance. Light to medium bodied. Not too cloying but not something I'd want to drink a lot of. I imagine making a good grape beer is not an easy task. You don't want to make wine but you want the grape flavor to be noticeable. This one walks the line very well and is good for what it is.

07-31-2008 01:59:37 | More by burnstar
dsa7783

3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

Single, twelve-ounce bottle copped from Gary's in Madison...
Pours an earthy, deep, tawny, ruddy, orange hue with a very minimal head that quickly receded and left hardly any lacing...
Mildly sweet, slight grape aroma noticeable...
Thick, creamy, slight vanilla taste with small caramel notes, and a green-grape aftertaste... The overall grape flavor was mildly assertive yet noticeable and provided an interesting, unique finish...
Although this was certainly a different sample, wouldn't make this my first or only choice for the night...

07-26-2008 22:04:48 | More by dsa7783
xare

3.48/5  rDev +6.1%

Looks very nice when I pour it out - orange, hazy, had a huge white head that's dissipated pretty quickly.

Smells like a touch of hops, some grape, and a bit of maple.

Tastes like a mix between grape, malt, maple syrup, and a touch of hops. Maple syrup keeps hitting you more and more when you drink more of it. Grape flavor kind of goes away after a bit, which probably was the intention from the description. I do like this blend of flavors though.

Smooth with carbonation and a soapy kick from hops for the finish. Overall, what a pale ale should have as mouthfeel but nothing that really distinguishes it from any other pale ale.

Drinkability is a bit low due to the maple syrup and the fact that this is a limited release. Glad that I had a chance to try it though and probably would buy it again happily if it comes back in a mixed pack, but not too sure about in sixers.

07-22-2008 21:50:43 | More by xare
mattster

3.63/5  rDev +10.7%

Opened 12 fluid ounce bottle, poured into Nonic glass.

Beer pours a nice but low head which dissipates quickly. Nice golden brown, clear brew.

Smell is of slight grapes. Maple actually is more prominent on nose. Taste is slightly grape like, but a little disappointing considering the nose; don't let this fool you: This beer taste really nice and finishes really good. More bubbles than I'd hoped for, but I could see drinking more of these.

07-20-2008 05:08:02 | More by mattster
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into pint glass.

Color is a clear dark straw color. 1 finger of head. Some splattered lacing.

Some low pine hops backed up with small hints of grapes.

Taste is a lot similar except the grapes come out more here.

Moutfeel was a little crisp but easy of the palate.

This was a very easy beer to drink. I didn't know if I was going to get the Sam Adams Long Shot pack because of this beer. I thought the grape was going to be stronger, but it turned out to be very suttle. At first a little shy towards this beer, but now I am quite happy that I had a chance to experience something different!

07-18-2008 22:20:52 | More by mothman
cvstrickland

3.48/5  rDev +6.1%

12-ounce bottle poured into my DFH shaped pint glass yields a clear bronze body crowned with a magnificent hunk of soft white foam that retains at a misshapen glob and sticks little chunks of puffy lacing all over the glass.

Smell is juicy and fruity with a clean whiff of green grapes.

Taste is sweet with pale-malty caramel and thin, juicy grape note that can't decide whether to lead, follow, or get out of the way. A touch tart and juicy, the drink is a bit vinous with a spicy hop note.

Plenty drinkable, if thin-bodied and a touch watery, and the fruitiness doesn't cloy or get in the way of an otherwise fine malty brew.

07-18-2008 22:13:26 | More by cvstrickland
Kraken

Maryland

3.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into standard pilsner glass. Firm pour yields one inch head that diminishes rapidly leaving a white ring around the glass. Very minimal lacing. Nose is very interesting, light grape, and earthy molasses notes. Palate is a bit muddled in my mind. Bite grape, more of that earthy molasses sweetness, light raisin and fig. Finish is light hop bitters, grape adds a bit of wine characteristics. Mouthfeel is interesting, and complex. It's as if this beer has 2 sides, the first is light and fruity, the second is dark and malty. Its like the beer cannot decide which it should be. Very interesting, to be honest I am glad the girl friend drank the other 2.

07-15-2008 00:41:24 | More by Kraken
Brianmerrilyn

3.73/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 2007 box edition, which expires this month, therefore I endeavoured to pesevere to ensure the product did not go bad.

A: Poured 3 of these into Stella Pint glass to a
light gold/amber hues. One finger white head transitioning to thin cap. I was impressed with the cresent legs and medium retention from the middle of the glass upwards for a prolonged period of time. Considering that this was almost a year old, not too shabby.

S-Mild hops with caramel malt with a dry finish I give the green grape credit for.

T-The grape takes the zing out of hops and sweetness sliglty with the finsih. It's still astringent quaff with the hops hiding and circling in the background. This is good for those who think Pale Ale's are too hoppy but in reality the grapes dampen almost all of the hops, but i'm not complaining.

M-Body is light and smooth with the malts and grapes mixing together. At first I thought the grapes cancelled out the hops but the crispness overall prevailed. More complex than I gave it credit for during first 2 of 3 pints.

D-I enjoyed this one much more than I expected. A good session beer and one I would recommend chaps that don't like the hoppyness of normal pale ales and women who need some sweetness to remain interested. Glad I had the opportunity to try this one. woman did a good job brewing-Aloha.

07-14-2008 23:03:34 | More by Brianmerrilyn
RedChrome

Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev +9.1%

Lightly hazed medium orange hued body. Inch high foamy white head faded down over a few minutes. Only a slight amount of carbonation rising. Clingy lacing in clumps.

A very nice malt aroma is dominant in every nose full. Maple and grape scents fight to be a very distant second and third place to the grain. Very light bitterness.

A malt hit up front with a big burst of grape flavors. Maple sweetness provides a light coating to the other flavors. No bitterness at all.

A bit of a watery body. Carbonation tingles lightly, but the flavors run away quickly.

An above average offering. Would go well with a nice spinach salad containing walnuts and strawberries. Refreshing clean flavors to enjoy on a warm spring day.

07-14-2008 21:48:26 | More by RedChrome
xenolithic

Maryland

3.68/5  rDev +12.2%

First, Thanks to Swigger for this great Sam Adams Longshot beer.

Look: Poured a honey brown color with a half-finger white head that quickly recedes into a fine lace and oilslick of bubbles on the surface. Up to the light it has a mellow gold lining to it.

Nose: Very mild grape scent and some malt.

Mouthfeel: I will agree with some of the other reviewers that it seems a little overcarbonated.

Drinkability: Pretty good, Pale Ales and IPAs have never really been my thing, but I'm finally coming around to them. I could have a few of these without a problem. Good summer beer.

Overall this is one of the most pleasant fruit based beers I've had. It's subtle and doesn't scream of the fruit that it was brewed with. Nicely done, and well worth the Longshot namesake.

07-14-2008 01:01:26 | More by xenolithic
hoegaardenhero

3.18/5  rDev -3%

a: nice amber/straw body with decent tight bubbled off-white head that has decent retention and leaves wispy lace on the glass; also nice movement in the glass

s: raw grain; caramel malts; very light skunky (but not in a bad way) hops; fruity overtones

t: warm caramel; light grain; definitely some sweet and sour grapes; light hop on the finish; other fruity flavors; i wonder what makes this a 'pale ale' since i wouldn't call it that

m: good substance and still not too thick with refreshing carbonation

d: interesting but not amazing i wouldn't go out of my way

07-11-2008 02:48:50 | More by hoegaardenhero
Chugmonkey

Wisconsin

A grape PA, just sounds whacked don't it? Like someone couldn't just make beer instead of a wine/beer thingee. Well I had to try it so I could snub it ya know? I had this after getting all sunburned for the first time all year out in the boat and i was super thirsty.

Bright golden color, pure white head with good retention. Light grape aroma is apparent, but doesn't slap you in the face. This how a fruit beer should be, just barely noticable.

Very refreshing, light grape prescense, slightly dry finish. Mmmm, makes you crave another sip. Lightly & cleanly hopped, no bitterness, just a nice light balance w/ the grape hint.

I think they nailed this. Very refreshing indeed. Nice summer PA that would go well with any lighter food(s). Not sure about all the attitude against this beer? I found it extremely refreshing.

07-08-2008 14:39:44 | More by Chugmonkey
SpecialK088

Missouri

3.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a bottle into a sam pint glass

A-Pours a light/medium copper color had about a 1 finger head with decent retnetion and no real lacing.

S-Subtle hops nots as well and the grape

T&M-Very crisp with a less than normal pale ale hops bite also is slightly over carbonated has almost a champagne feel but not quite as extreme. The finish is quite nice and leaves a small bitterness with the slightest linging of the grape.

D-It was much better than i anticapated the grape is not over-bearing and overall a drinkable summer stlye beer.

07-06-2008 01:06:20 | More by SpecialK088
PLANETBUSTERRAVE

2.83/5  rDev -13.7%

A clear amber ale with a hint of carbonation when poured a fair amount of off white head that dissipates slowly to a slight lacing. As soon as I popped the cap I could smell the pungent hops and the grapes (but it was a little hard discerning the two), there was a hint of the maple syrup that could have been stronger. At first taste I got blasted with hops which smoothly blended to the grape, a bitter sweet taste that blended nicely with a faint trail of maple at the end. Overall this beer had a light and crisp feel that went in smooth but turned slightly bitter leaving you wanting more of the maple to sweeten harshness of the bitter grapes. Because this is one of the Long Shot's I say snag one up just to try it, but it is a beer that if brewed regularly wouldn't be worth repeating.

07-04-2008 11:29:03 | More by PLANETBUSTERRAVE
WillieMoe

3.65/5  rDev +11.3%

A- Pours strong yellow color, with a slight head, and hardly any carbonation.

S- There is a fruity aroma to it, that doesn't scream, "GRAPE!" which is sort of what I was expecting. It is possibly of dark berry mixed with grape.

T&M- The taste offers a bit more grape than in the smell, but is still not overpowering. You also may pick up some pale malt flavor in the taste as well. This is a nice little brew, that proves quite refreshing, as it goes down smooth, leaving a dry, and slightly taste on the tongue.

Overall a highly drinkable brew.

07-03-2008 02:40:57 | More by WillieMoe
orcasteve

3.05/5  rDev -7%

i taste the maple syrup, but the grape gets lost.
the only thing that i like in this one is the hop kiss that setes in in the end. this one is a good idea that just dosent work, how it won the compition to be brewed for the masses i will never know, never brew this one agan please!

07-02-2008 20:32:42 | More by orcasteve
shroompod

3.43/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours with a nice thick head , no lacing. Slightly cloudy orange color.

Smell is faintly fruity, grapes maybe.

Not getting much if any grape flavor , slight hop bite , some residual malt sweetness. Some tartness from grapes comes through on finish.

Mouthfeel is light , good carbonation.

Overall an easy drinking beer , with an odd twist.

06-30-2008 02:08:13 | More by shroompod
dewalt

3.28/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had high hopes for this -- I imagined a hugely fruity, sweet and refreshing hybrid of concord grape juice and pale ale --boozy Welch's, basically.

What I got was very different: an only slightly fruity, surprisingly dry ale. It smells a bit like white grapes, and tastes a little tart, but more earthy than fruity. While I appreciate the sophistication of the flavors here, it wasn't really to my taste.

06-28-2008 23:51:43 | More by dewalt
Phillyduke

2.78/5  rDev -15.2%

Being the first full day of summer I decided to finally pop the top on this one. I'm wondering if I did the beer a disservice by drinking this 4 months after it was released. Served into a pilsner glass. Clear amber ale with an unbelievably thick three finger head of pure white foam. Pretty decent retention, and a fine web of lacing. Smell is a little off-putting. There's a funkiness I can't quite explain, but it reminds me of more of a lager than an ale. As the head dissipates I get a touch of grape and a twinge of alcohol, but I had to search for them. Taste is decent, dry and light-bodied. Not very complex from a malt/hops standpoint, but flavorful and balanced. The grape doesn't really play as much of a factor as I would have thought/hoped, but it does lend a bit of underlying sweetness. Mouthfeel is average for a Pale Ale. Drinkability is a little low for me, as the smell and uniqueness of the taste make it something I probably wouldn't have more than one of. Overall quite interesting (though not to my liking), and something that would probably pair well with tasting different foods.

06-22-2008 02:07:07 | More by Phillyduke
sloejams

3.05/5  rDev -7%

Meh.

If I could have a 3 letter review that pretty much sums up this beer, that would be it.

I finally came across a 6er of this year's Longshot and had to pick up for the Weizenbock alone. "Grape Pale Ale' didn't even sound good to me and to be fair - it was better than that. The grape flavor is subtle. But to me it's just 2 great tastes that don't taste great together.

I accidentally left the other 2 at my buddy's place. I didn't do it on purpose, but I did't NOT do it on purpose either. If ya get me.

06-20-2008 14:56:55 | More by sloejams
Gavage

3.63/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance: pours a clear orange color with a big 3" head that lasts quite a while. Some thick lacing paints the glass.

Smell: fruit sweetness and a bit of citrus tones are very soft and hard to detect.

Taste: caramel, green grapes, bit of orange, and some hints of honey make up a slightly sweeter beer. Bitterness is very soft.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp to start, smooth at the finish. Almost clean aftertaste. Medium bodied beer.

Drinkability: easy to quaff this one down. Different flavor profile is interesting.

06-20-2008 10:27:33 | More by Gavage
bahumutx

3.25/5  rDev -0.9%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours amber with a small white head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Not a whole lot to the smell... Slight sweet aroma with a slight hop aroma.

Taste: Starts with some sweetness and spiciness.... goes on to a slight grape flavor and end with sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth mouthfeel. Not a lot of carbonation.

Drinkability: I could have one or two in a sitting.

This is a decent beer from the longshot contest.

06-16-2008 00:06:41 | More by bahumutx
AustinBeerLvr

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a pint style glass.

A: A nice reddish, amber color with a good amount of head. Excellent lacing is left on the glass as it is being consumed.

S: Nose is a very pleasant blend of caramel sweetness with grape notes blending in. Just a touch of hop spice is present as well.

T&M: Starts off with mostly caramel sweetness before the grape flavor makes it presence. The caramel flavor blends with grape and creates a rich harmony of sweet malty flavors. The grape flavor rides through into the slightly spicy, dry hop finish. Mouthfeel is about what one would expect for a good pale ale, neither too heavy nor thin.

D & Notes: I am normally not a fan of "fruit and vegetable beers", but this one is actually very good, but to me just more or less tastes like a solid pale ale with just a slight drop of grape flavor that blends in nicely with the brew as opposed to dominating the palate.

06-14-2008 00:02:49 | More by AustinBeerLvr
williamherbert

3.75/5  rDev +14.3%

Color is a clear caution-light yellow/orange. Thin 1/4 finger of head. No carbonation to be seen.

The smell has hints of sweet and dark berry. Smooth honey. Darker notes of grape; sweet but rich. Aromatic berry wafting above the glass. No pale malt to speak of, per se.

The taste is slightly sour grape, with a richer dark second wave. Hints of juicy grape, balanced by some dry pale and crystal malts.

Medium bodied feel; leaves a juice-like coating on the tongue. Actually quite nice. It's a highly drinkable, berry-laden brew. Not overly sweet. It's just dark enough.

06-12-2008 23:29:46 | More by williamherbert
LongShot Grape Pale Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)