LongShot Weizenbock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

LongShot WeizenbockLongShot Weizenbock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Weizenbock |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: alexgash on 02-09-2008)
1.65/5  rDev -57.7%

Fruit and Beer...No way.

That being said, I can't stand this beer. Horrible. Give me an IPA, Porter, or Stout any day of the week, month or year.

Sorry, but this stuff is junk. I couldn't even finish the bottle.

Fruit. Funky weirdness. Raisins. Prunes. (hello grandpa?) YUCK.

Beer needs to be made from Malt, Barley and Hops with the major contributing factor coming from these 3 THINGS.

Sorry to the Brewer...this stuff is just nasty. I will never seek out another Weizenbock....Period.

If I wanted a fermented fruit cake, I would take the one that has been passed under the Christmas tree for the past several years. WOW!!

schellsbeer, Nov 09, 2008
2.13/5  rDev -45.4%

I'm generally a an of the style, and some of Sam's Longshot beers have been pretty good. This one was lacking, at least for me. It looks beautiful in the glass, with a roasty cranberry color and a good head. The aroma was as intensely band-aid as any beer I've had. But some of those band-aid beers produce wonderully complex flavor explosions in your mouth -- this one was mostly more band-aid. A little fruitiness came through, but not much more. Not recommended.

Flyer, Feb 27, 2008
2.42/5  rDev -37.9%

Appearance looks interesting... but nothing that really stands out to me. Smell is of wheat with a touch of cloves, just a light touch. Otherwise, it's mainly wheat. Taste is of wheat and cloves and a couple other spices that blend together but primarily a wheat flavor.

Mouthfeel is almost hard to take - it's really boozy, probably due to the 7.2% ABV. It actually burns a little bit, just a tiny bit. It is creamy and smooth along with being very hot though. Just a bit below average but not too bad.

Drinkability was pretty low for me due to how hot it was. Maybe laying it down for a while would help? I'm not too sure. In any case, I probably wouldn't beg for them to add this to the regular Samuel Adams rotation.

xare, Jul 25, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

odbjs735, May 07, 2012
2.58/5  rDev -33.8%

A - Pours dark brown with a little lacing.

S - Smells good. Banana and a little spicy.

T - I haven't had many weizenbocks to my recollection but this one isn't to my taste. The cloves here are overbearing as well as the heat.

M - A nice, even mouthfeel.

D - After finishing this bottle, I do not see my self having another.

Dusty278, Aug 20, 2008
2.58/5  rDev -33.8%

Reviewed 4/17/2008 (bottle):

Pours a dark brown colored body, very murky, with a smallish but lasting gray colored head. Has a flowery grapey aroma. An okay body. Has a flowery taste, but too much fruit in the taste. A little heavy, but without the flavor.

jujubeast6000, Mar 10, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -33.3%

A - Looks appealing. Fluffy 1" tan head. Murkey dark brown in color from the wheat.

S - Smells good too. Lot's of banana's and cloves in the nose. A little spicy aroma with a wonderful dark malty background.

T - Hmmm, this is my first example of a weizenbock (that I can remember) and I hate to say it but this beer doesn't do it for me. Initial impression is overly phenolic cloves, with a cough medicine aftertaste. There is a little sweetness in the back which is nice but I just can't get over the cough medicine flavor.

M - A nice full medium bodied mouthfeel.. very smooth. Moderate carbonation.

D - I can't drink another one of these personally. Perhaps a little down the line I'll be more appreciative of this style (or this beer) as my palette changes but for now, I can't score this well in flavor and drinkability .

This was however better than the grape pale ale!

Rezzin, Feb 29, 2008
2.7/5  rDev -30.8%

I'm not the biggest fan of wheat beers and this beer doesn't help much. Like most wheat beers, it leaves a sweet "twinge" in the mouth which, for me, is unpleasant. This is one of two Long Shot beers both of which I didn't favor. I certainly hope next year's Long Shots will be better....no offense to those brewers who won, just not for me.

SchmoTerp, May 04, 2008
2.7/5  rDev -30.8%

After pouring this wonderful looking concoction into the glass I was impressed with the color and well endowed foamy head. The first fruity smells were awesome but then the smell of cloves hit me. I took one sip then another just to be sure and then poured the rest down the drain. The cloves killed it for me I could not drink anymore. If you remove the cloves I think I would really like it.

cosmicdebris, Mar 14, 2008
2.73/5  rDev -30%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Chimay Chalice. This beer poured almost a dirty dishwater/muddy water brown with a creamy beige 1 inch head and left no lacing at all. The aroma is wheat, clove, and vanilla. The taste is bananas with a bit of clove. There is also an odd roasted wheat aftertaste that leaves a burnt taste on the back of the throat. This beer also seems pretty hot to me. It has a definite boozy kick to it and leaves a pretty spicy coating on the tongue. The mouthfeel is full but spiciness is off putting. I think this actually might be my least favorite Sam Adams brew tried to date.

hwwty4, Jun 07, 2008
2.83/5  rDev -27.4%

Cloudy dark brownish color, tinge of orange. Decent bubbly tan head that laces well.

Big sweet artificial banana jumps out, some allspice and bit of alcohol.

Wheaty banana, raisin, allspice, clove and way too much alcohol detectable.

Soft, fine carbonation gives a nice smooth mouthfeel. This isn't a bad beer, but I've had a lot better Weizenbocks than this, way too alcoholy.

BeerZack, Apr 02, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -24.4%

A - Pours a clody dark brown with a creamy off white head that dissipates fairly quickly to a covering. Nice amount of lacing.
S - Strong aroma of banana, and something else like soy sauce and wasabi. Smells spicy.
T - Tastes like banana, wasabi and soy sauce in an all liquid form. Has a grassy, earthy undertone with a slight hoppiness.
M - Medium or just higher carbonation, textured, medium body, but coats the tongue a little.
D - Not my favorite bock. It has a taste like olives, and I hate olives, so it's tough for me to even like. It's not terrible, but I can't help thinking of liquid sushi, olives and banana when I drink this. Tought for me to judge fairly.

TYE, Feb 28, 2008

Stoffel, Dec 31, 2011

aanth, Nov 18, 2011

jfcaa193, Jan 30, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -21%

Sampled on 2-27-08
Best before June 2008

Pours a super cloudy and yesty-looking brown, with a thin filmy head and clingy lacing.

Smell is malty, with a clove presence, and an almost Belgian quality. Very sweet, and unique.

Taste is sweet and malty, with the cloves again, and a smoked beef jerky finish. Tastes alot like something else I can't quite place. Maybe a little booze in there too, with a sourish aftertaste. Odd.

Mouthfeel is good, a sizable thickness to go with the appearance.

Drinkability is not so good, strange flavors and big sweetness get old after a few sips.

Overall, not what I was expecting. Good, but very amateurish. Guess that should be expected.

BMoney575, Feb 28, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -20.5%

From a Longshot 6 pack I received from my son. A fairly aggressive pour into a standard Troeg's pint produced literally no head at all - the best by date on the bottle is July '08 so no problem there. The beer is a murky, cloudy brown and leaves minimal lacing.

Smell is very redolent of clove and cinnamin - with darker hints of grass and no hop smell at all.

Taste is very much like the smell - an aggressive clove bite that lingers.

Mouthfeel is smooth and very decent.

Drinkability is ok with this ABV but not something I would want more than one of.

All in all, not a beer I would seek out again but an interesting one time experience. As Randy Jackson says, "it was just ok for me, dawg!"

OldYoda, May 03, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a muddy, murky brown. Smalls very fruity with a citric finish. Very fruity flavor with a strong cinnamon undertone - similar to a winter brew. Quite chewy with e medium-to-full body. Having read some of the other reviews it certainly sounds like a good representation of the style but it's not for me (too sweet).

msolar, Apr 29, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -18.5%

Shades of medium light brown to dark chocolately brown in a weizen glass with a lasting big tan head. Smell is clove, and some dark wheat. Taste is medium to dark roasty wheat with a prominent clove flavor as well. Medium bodied to slightly thin, I thought and although the flavor was nice as well, it also fell short of being bold enough, aside from the strong clove presence. Not bad, but not my favorite weizenbock.

JDV, Apr 06, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -18.5%

It pours a clear brown color with a thin, off white head that dissapears to never return.

Typacle dark fruits in the nose. Alcohol comes through too much in the nose.

Also the alcohol comes through too much in the flavor too.

Not very drinkable, it's too sweet.

This not a good rendition of the style.

hoplover82, Dec 04, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured from [refrigerated] bottle into tall weizen glass. Deep brown, very murky with a several finger head. Very clovey smell, and I got slight hints of smokyness. Taste was overwhelming - too sweet, way too much banana, and that slight smokey taste was in the background throughout. I don't where the smokiness is coming from, as I don't remember them mentioning mentioning anything of the like when Jamil interviewed him. I'm conflicted - I can't help but compare it to Aventinus, which is one of my top 5 beers, and that is completely not fair to Rodney. I didn't realize this was a 7% beer, so on that front, it was a pleasant surprise.

kmudrick, Apr 12, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured the beer into a regular pint glass. Beer has a medium head on it. Has a dark brown hue to it. Has a sweet smell. A medium to heavy body. You can definitely taste the malt much more than the hops although as the flavor fades on the tongue, there is a little hoppy bitterness at the back of the tongue. As it says on the bottle, the flavoring is definitely complex and left me scratching my acolyte head several times.

nem2006, Apr 09, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

djrn2, Jun 13, 2012
3.28/5  rDev -15.9%

This beer pours a murky amber color with a tall and a thick off-white tan colored head that laced the glass all the way down. It has a sweet and sour smell with some malts and some interesting aromas kind of like rubber from the yeast. The taste is the same. Sweet malts but overpowered by the clove taste. Underneath that there were some other flavors that I couldn't really put my finger on, but it certainly tasted like a homebrew that's for sure. The mouthfeel was good - not alot of carbonation and a nice warm and smooth mouthfeel. The drinkability is good for a weizenbock. Definately worth a try as this is a once in a lifetime beer.

erosier, Mar 06, 2008
3.28/5  rDev -15.9%

Shame on me for waiting so long. I've had that pack forever and drank all but one of each (Grape Pale). Saved the last for review and never seemed to get around to it. Finally did and here goes.

3 finger anitque-white tempurpedic head. very small tight bubbles.

Deep brown cloudy translucent chestnut color.

Strong candied yam fruity aroma. caramel. bright confectioner's suger smell. a little alcohol. overripe fruit. fig perhaps.

ultra malty and sweet. big toffee. Skor bar. a little non-bitter hoppy tang. alcohol when swished with real intention. clove spice. there's a tangy fruit/spice flavor i can't quite get my palate around to describe.

finish is sticky and clingy. super malty with some carbonated tingle

i'm not an officionado of Weizenbocks but this one seemed tasty. more carbonated than I would expect but that's just me talking. I normally associate big malt and overripe-fruit beer with a dopplebock. Meaning leaning more toward that buttery, viscous, creamy, oily, low-carbonation style. This is rather tingly and spritely in the carbonation dept.

Was a tasty sensory adventure but I wouldn't buy it on a regular basis for around-the-house consumption.

AshevilleSippin, Aug 05, 2008
LongShot Weizenbock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)