Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

LongShot Weizenbock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

LongShot WeizenbockLongShot Weizenbock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Weizenbock |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: alexgash on 02-09-2008

1.76/5  rDev -55.1%

Fruit and Beer...No way.

That being said, I can't stand this beer. Horrible. Give me an IPA, Porter, or Stout any day of the week, month or year.

Sorry, but this stuff is junk. I couldn't even finish the bottle.

Fruit. Funky weirdness. Raisins. Prunes. (hello grandpa?) YUCK.

Beer needs to be made from Malt, Barley and Hops with the major contributing factor coming from these 3 THINGS.

Sorry to the Brewer...this stuff is just nasty. I will never seek out another Weizenbock....Period.

If I wanted a fermented fruit cake, I would take the one that has been passed under the Christmas tree for the past several years. WOW!! (634 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -45.2%

I'm generally a an of the style, and some of Sam's Longshot beers have been pretty good. This one was lacking, at least for me. It looks beautiful in the glass, with a roasty cranberry color and a good head. The aroma was as intensely band-aid as any beer I've had. But some of those band-aid beers produce wonderully complex flavor explosions in your mouth -- this one was mostly more band-aid. A little fruitiness came through, but not much more. Not recommended. (465 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -38.5%

Appearance looks interesting... but nothing that really stands out to me. Smell is of wheat with a touch of cloves, just a light touch. Otherwise, it's mainly wheat. Taste is of wheat and cloves and a couple other spices that blend together but primarily a wheat flavor.

Mouthfeel is almost hard to take - it's really boozy, probably due to the 7.2% ABV. It actually burns a little bit, just a tiny bit. It is creamy and smooth along with being very hot though. Just a bit below average but not too bad.

Drinkability was pretty low for me due to how hot it was. Maybe laying it down for a while would help? I'm not too sure. In any case, I probably wouldn't beg for them to add this to the regular Samuel Adams rotation. (722 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -33.7%

Reviewed 4/17/2008 (bottle):

Pours a dark brown colored body, very murky, with a smallish but lasting gray colored head. Has a flowery grapey aroma. An okay body. Has a flowery taste, but too much fruit in the taste. A little heavy, but without the flavor. (257 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -31.1%

A - Pours dark brown with a little lacing.

S - Smells good. Banana and a little spicy.

T - I haven't had many weizenbocks to my recollection but this one isn't to my taste. The cloves here are overbearing as well as the heat.

M - A nice, even mouthfeel.

D - After finishing this bottle, I do not see my self having another. (327 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -31.1%

I'm not the biggest fan of wheat beers and this beer doesn't help much. Like most wheat beers, it leaves a sweet "twinge" in the mouth which, for me, is unpleasant. This is one of two Long Shot beers both of which I didn't favor. I certainly hope next year's Long Shots will be better....no offense to those brewers who won, just not for me. (341 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -31.1%

A - Looks appealing. Fluffy 1" tan head. Murkey dark brown in color from the wheat.

S - Smells good too. Lot's of banana's and cloves in the nose. A little spicy aroma with a wonderful dark malty background.

T - Hmmm, this is my first example of a weizenbock (that I can remember) and I hate to say it but this beer doesn't do it for me. Initial impression is overly phenolic cloves, with a cough medicine aftertaste. There is a little sweetness in the back which is nice but I just can't get over the cough medicine flavor.

M - A nice full medium bodied mouthfeel.. very smooth. Moderate carbonation.

D - I can't drink another one of these personally. Perhaps a little down the line I'll be more appreciative of this style (or this beer) as my palette changes but for now, I can't score this well in flavor and drinkability .

This was however better than the grape pale ale! (881 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Chimay Chalice. This beer poured almost a dirty dishwater/muddy water brown with a creamy beige 1 inch head and left no lacing at all. The aroma is wheat, clove, and vanilla. The taste is bananas with a bit of clove. There is also an odd roasted wheat aftertaste that leaves a burnt taste on the back of the throat. This beer also seems pretty hot to me. It has a definite boozy kick to it and leaves a pretty spicy coating on the tongue. The mouthfeel is full but spiciness is off putting. I think this actually might be my least favorite Sam Adams brew tried to date. (598 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -28.6%

After pouring this wonderful looking concoction into the glass I was impressed with the color and well endowed foamy head. The first fruity smells were awesome but then the smell of cloves hit me. I took one sip then another just to be sure and then poured the rest down the drain. The cloves killed it for me I could not drink anymore. If you remove the cloves I think I would really like it. (393 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -27%

Cloudy dark brownish color, tinge of orange. Decent bubbly tan head that laces well.

Big sweet artificial banana jumps out, some allspice and bit of alcohol.

Wheaty banana, raisin, allspice, clove and way too much alcohol detectable.

Soft, fine carbonation gives a nice smooth mouthfeel. This isn't a bad beer, but I've had a lot better Weizenbocks than this, way too alcoholy. (380 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -25.3%

A - Pours a clody dark brown with a creamy off white head that dissipates fairly quickly to a covering. Nice amount of lacing.
S - Strong aroma of banana, and something else like soy sauce and wasabi. Smells spicy.
T - Tastes like banana, wasabi and soy sauce in an all liquid form. Has a grassy, earthy undertone with a slight hoppiness.
M - Medium or just higher carbonation, textured, medium body, but coats the tongue a little.
D - Not my favorite bock. It has a taste like olives, and I hate olives, so it's tough for me to even like. It's not terrible, but I can't help thinking of liquid sushi, olives and banana when I drink this. Tought for me to judge fairly. (669 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

Sampled on 2-27-08
Best before June 2008

Pours a super cloudy and yesty-looking brown, with a thin filmy head and clingy lacing.

Smell is malty, with a clove presence, and an almost Belgian quality. Very sweet, and unique.

Taste is sweet and malty, with the cloves again, and a smoked beef jerky finish. Tastes alot like something else I can't quite place. Maybe a little booze in there too, with a sourish aftertaste. Odd.

Mouthfeel is good, a sizable thickness to go with the appearance.

Drinkability is not so good, strange flavors and big sweetness get old after a few sips.

Overall, not what I was expecting. Good, but very amateurish. Guess that should be expected. (677 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -20.4%

From a Longshot 6 pack I received from my son. A fairly aggressive pour into a standard Troeg's pint produced literally no head at all - the best by date on the bottle is July '08 so no problem there. The beer is a murky, cloudy brown and leaves minimal lacing.

Smell is very redolent of clove and cinnamin - with darker hints of grass and no hop smell at all.

Taste is very much like the smell - an aggressive clove bite that lingers.

Mouthfeel is smooth and very decent.

Drinkability is ok with this ABV but not something I would want more than one of.

All in all, not a beer I would seek out again but an interesting one time experience. As Randy Jackson says, "it was just ok for me, dawg!" (699 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours a muddy, murky brown. Smalls very fruity with a citric finish. Very fruity flavor with a strong cinnamon undertone - similar to a winter brew. Quite chewy with e medium-to-full body. Having read some of the other reviews it certainly sounds like a good representation of the style but it's not for me (too sweet). (319 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.4%

It pours a clear brown color with a thin, off white head that dissapears to never return.

Typacle dark fruits in the nose. Alcohol comes through too much in the nose.

Also the alcohol comes through too much in the flavor too.

Not very drinkable, it's too sweet.

This not a good rendition of the style. (309 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -18.1%

Shades of medium light brown to dark chocolately brown in a weizen glass with a lasting big tan head. Smell is clove, and some dark wheat. Taste is medium to dark roasty wheat with a prominent clove flavor as well. Medium bodied to slightly thin, I thought and although the flavor was nice as well, it also fell short of being bold enough, aside from the strong clove presence. Not bad, but not my favorite weizenbock. (418 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -16.8%

This beer pours a murky amber color with a tall and a thick off-white tan colored head that laced the glass all the way down. It has a sweet and sour smell with some malts and some interesting aromas kind of like rubber from the yeast. The taste is the same. Sweet malts but overpowered by the clove taste. Underneath that there were some other flavors that I couldn't really put my finger on, but it certainly tasted like a homebrew that's for sure. The mouthfeel was good - not alot of carbonation and a nice warm and smooth mouthfeel. The drinkability is good for a weizenbock. Definately worth a try as this is a once in a lifetime beer. (641 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -16.3%

Shame on me for waiting so long. I've had that pack forever and drank all but one of each (Grape Pale). Saved the last for review and never seemed to get around to it. Finally did and here goes.

3 finger anitque-white tempurpedic head. very small tight bubbles.

Deep brown cloudy translucent chestnut color.

Strong candied yam fruity aroma. caramel. bright confectioner's suger smell. a little alcohol. overripe fruit. fig perhaps.

ultra malty and sweet. big toffee. Skor bar. a little non-bitter hoppy tang. alcohol when swished with real intention. clove spice. there's a tangy fruit/spice flavor i can't quite get my palate around to describe.

finish is sticky and clingy. super malty with some carbonated tingle

i'm not an officionado of Weizenbocks but this one seemed tasty. more carbonated than I would expect but that's just me talking. I normally associate big malt and overripe-fruit beer with a dopplebock. Meaning leaning more toward that buttery, viscous, creamy, oily, low-carbonation style. This is rather tingly and spritely in the carbonation dept.

Was a tasty sensory adventure but I wouldn't buy it on a regular basis for around-the-house consumption. (1,183 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from [refrigerated] bottle into tall weizen glass. Deep brown, very murky with a several finger head. Very clovey smell, and I got slight hints of smokyness. Taste was overwhelming - too sweet, way too much banana, and that slight smokey taste was in the background throughout. I don't where the smokiness is coming from, as I don't remember them mentioning mentioning anything of the like when Jamil interviewed him. I'm conflicted - I can't help but compare it to Aventinus, which is one of my top 5 beers, and that is completely not fair to Rodney. I didn't realize this was a 7% beer, so on that front, it was a pleasant surprise. (641 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured the beer into a regular pint glass. Beer has a medium head on it. Has a dark brown hue to it. Has a sweet smell. A medium to heavy body. You can definitely taste the malt much more than the hops although as the flavor fades on the tongue, there is a little hoppy bitterness at the back of the tongue. As it says on the bottle, the flavoring is definitely complex and left me scratching my acolyte head several times. (423 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

pours out a completely opaque red river of the north murky brown colour, with a thin, fine tannish head. ample and somewhat thick, sticky lace. big banana aroma, some clove and spice...quite estery and fruity...some vanilla and bubblegum, too. the taste is quite heavily dependent on the yeast, ripe fruits and booze soaked banana aspects...some raw graininess slides through in the middle and ends with a weird chalky, sweet, boozy, spiced wheaty note. the taste profile certainly is aimed from another dimension. the body comes across medium at best with a smooth, creamy, albeit a bit watery mouthfeel. which is strange also, because you can taste the alcohol with every sip, and one would think it would have a much more lush and velvety feel to it. drinkability is good. i'll be able to pour all three of my bottles down my throat no problem.

as my experience with weizenbocks is somewhat limited, i'd call this a good, not great overall beer and stab at the style. as a homebrew, i'd think this was pretty tasty. (1,019 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours out dark brown in color with a lot of haze and sediment. Good head. In the nose I detect ripe, rich fruit, more sweet boozy notes, and maple syrup? The taste adds bready elements to the mix, but the sweetness is very prominent. I taste raisins, too. In addition, there is a weird lemony, soapy, cleaner flavor that's not so cool. In the mouth it's creamy and satisfying with apleasant feel of carbonation. It went down OK, but I'm not really anxious for more. Overall, this brew is OK at best. (499 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I had a tough time narrowing this Long shot in.

It pours a dark, wooded brown. Lace was good and web like.

The aroma is of dark fruit, malts and yeasty spice.

The taste carries this long shot. Malts and sweetness, though well balance, tend to over-take the finish and oil coat the mouth. (291 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Three finger weak brown head over a murky browned-copper liquid. Smells potent clove and that's about it. Caraway and nutmeg if you have some imagination. Most of the way through the glass I get chocolate, prune/raisin, and dry hardwood.

Tastes clove over sweet malt absent of esters. Malt is caramel and some chocolate with some dark fruity notes. Nice balance in the intensity of the clove and the malt sweet, with a drying carbonation swell upon the swallow. Spicy/peppery finish with a chalky flatness. Kind of a sour or tart character that isn't enjoyable in the aftertaste on the flat of the tongue. Not quite tannin-like, perhaps just overly phenolic?

Honestly, phenols are rough on my palette; I'm really sensitive to them. This beer is loaded with them and by the end of the glass I almost cacked, it was so brutal. My wife would love this beer (but she's pregnant, so she can't even give it a taste. Irony). Mouthfeel is med-thick and with some creamy character. Medium carbonation is a bit stronger than I envision for a german bock. (1,046 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

A: Cloudy bock. Minimal white head with some lacing.

S: Strong wheat and malt smells. Banana from the yeast is evident. Slight hint of molasses at the end.

T: Strong bread/yeast taste at first. Almost overpowering. Really complex beer. At the end I almost got a slight hint of what I would call stale bread.

M:Heavy medium body.

D: Tastes heavier than it really is. This was not an easy drinking beer. In fact I have had RISs that are easier drinking. Aventinus really is the pinnacle of this style. (503 characters)

LongShot Weizenbock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)