Samuel Adams Utopias (Aged On Cocoa Nibs) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Utopias (Aged On Cocoa Nibs)
No picture uploaded.

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  25.00% ABV

Special version of Utopias aged on Cocoa Nibs for a few months. Created for Extreme Beer Fest in 2008.

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-21-2008)
View: Beers (127) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.53/5  rDev +18.3%

I was privileged to have a few samples of this at the Extreme beer fest in 2008. This is definitely one that is hard to rate. Its listed here as an American strong ale, I've seen it classified a barleywine, it reminds me of a cognac. It definitely is an extreme beer.
So anyways I got my sample my SO got hers too, smelled it and I now had 2 samples. :) This scenario actually played out a few times that night.
This pours a dark red/burgundy with no head at all, its served still. Looks thicker and almost syrupy compared to any other beer ever. Smells of cognac, port wine, alcohol, maple, some chocolate in there as well. Tastes like it smells, more alcohol in there. This one is a sipper for sure. Sweet sticky mouthfeel with a slight alcohol burn and a thick body. This is one of those brews that truly breaks ground. The cacao nibs in this were subtle I thought. Maybe adding a slight chocolate bitterness to the taste, but with everything else going on here it was hard to find. Great brew nonetheless I wish I could afford to drink this more often!

09-13-2008 03:23:10 | More by johnnnniee
LilBeerDoctor

3.13/5  rDev -18.3%

Extreme Beer Fest 2/15/08: Dark amber in color. Aroma and taste of alcohol, vanilla, cacao nibs. Very syrupy and sweet. I enjoyed this initially, but as I continued to drink more, it became a little too much! An interesting beer to try, but I wouldn't have it again.
7/3/7/3/14 (3.4/5)

12-28-2008 01:15:27 | More by LilBeerDoctor
Samuel Adams Utopias (Aged On Cocoa Nibs) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.