Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin AleSamuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: Kegatron on 11-10-2008

Brought back in 2010
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 634 | Hads: 2,553

OK... Forget about the pumpkin in the name. Beer has sugar do you taste that? No. Pumpkin in itself does not have a strong flavor. Its part of the mash. It gives a smoother flavor like a porter except pumpkin was used. Now that we all have that straight.. It is a very well ( near perfect) beer for the season. More hops and less malt sweetness than the Sam's Oktoberfest version. Maybe I was playing Skyrim too much but I felt like I was there while sipping/drinking out of a tall glass in those old drink inn/ houses. I do enjoy other fest beers but this one really fits the bill or season or whatever you want to call it.

So when you pour that beer into that Viking glass and take a good swallow/taste make sure you hold it high and say" Here is to Randy for pointing me into the direction of my Nord ancestors". You can also thank Sam but he just made the beer that's all...enjoy!

Changing my rating to1 for smell and look alone. Bought two more 6 packs that tasted horrible like soap or straight hops.... Called them and complained. Stay away from batch P24640959625 in black letters on the bottle neck!!!!!!!

1.52/5  rDev -57.5%

Bottle poured into standard pint glass. Only purchased a single as part of a pumpkin variety pack to try many brands.

A: Nice amber color, rich looking beer. Not much of a head to speak of.

S: I honestly didn't smell anything. Not spices, not pumpkin, nothing. Normally, in other beers of this style, I can pick up on heavy clove or at least a nice nutmeg aroma. This beer had absolutely no smell. Not even a typical beer smell.

T: There was very little to speak of in terms of taste. I couldn't taste any spices and only a very faint hint of pumpkin. In all honestly, it tasted like Pumpkin-flavored San Pellegrino. It barely even tasted alcoholic. Very thin, very bland, almost water-like. Only in the aftertaste could I even get a hint of the spice, but I need more than that from a pumpkin beer.

M: The mouthfeel was extremely thin. There was a good bit of carbonation, but behind that was a very flat and thin feel. My tongue felt like it was punching through the carbonation and reaching something like water. On the flipside, it make this a very drinkable beer, but not in the way you'd want it to be.

O: I don't know if I got a bad batch or what, but this honestly did not even taste like a beer. It felt like drinking sparkling water. I'm a huge fan of pumpkin ales and I've tried several varieties, but this was by far the most disappointing offering I've tried to date. I might give it another go to see if it really was just a fluke, but I do so hesitantly. Based on this first taste, I would not recommend this beer to anyone.

Deep brassy amber hue with orange highlights, lightly spiced nose with a touch of pumpkin and what smells like unfermented pale malts.

Medium body which thins out on the finish. Clove and nutmeg, touch of cinnamon and vanilla. No true pumpkin taste but thats probably because its not made with this years pumpkins. Tastes like pumpkin beer light. If youre going for a session pumpkin ale make it a long trail pumpkin or a night owl cause this one falls short for being at the same price point.

2.05/5  rDev -42.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Pours clear copper/amber color with a huge 2-3 finger foamy light tan head that had a ton of bubbles in it and faded very slowly, and decent spotty lacing.

Smells like fake pumpkin, allspice, cinnamon, potpourri, herbs and a lot of other spices that just make it confusing and almost obnoxious to inhale. The malt and caramel peek through but and basically non-existent due to the over spicing. It does not smell good.

Taste follows suit with this odd fake pumpkin flavor up front, followed by allspice, cinnamon, potpourri, herbs and a lot of other spices; flavor has nutmeg, pepper and pie crust, but those weak additions are no match for the spices in this brew.

The feel was average and alright, but this was a drain pour for me. I don't care for a lot of spices in my beer and this was overkill.

2.16/5  rDev -39.7%

The beer poured an appealing ruby red color. The lace soon fell back into the beer and left a little rim around the glass.

The aroma was of pumpkin pie spice, which was pleasant but not very convincing.

The beer tasted sweet and of pumpkin pie spices but not of pumpkin. The spice was overpowering and left a very nasty aftertaste in your mouth.

Overall this was just not a good beer and was soon poured down the sink, the spices were just too over powering and the beer was not enjoyable in the least.

2.23/5  rDev -37.7%

A: Dark bronze with a light tan head. A tad bit of lacing.

S: Spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg and some pumpkin.

T: Semi sweet bready malt mixed with spices. Cinnamon and nutmeg again. Some pumpkin flavor as well, obviously. Not as bad as New Holland's pumpkin beer, but this is still not my thing.

M: Light body. Feels thin with lots of carbonation.

D: Not my thing at all. Not gonna finish this one.

Second pumpkin beer I've had and I now know I'm not a fan of this style.

2.27/5  rDev -36.6%

Draft - At first, I liked this beer, but after a couple of sips in, I couldn’t drink it anymore. Between the nutmeg and cinnamon, it smelled pretty good. I got some pumpkin in the taste but I felt like the sweetness overpowered it. As it warmed up, it got progressively worse.

2.3/5  rDev -35.8%

Ba Review #64
Served On: 9/12/2011
Glassware: Shaker Pint

This was from the 2011 Sam Adams Harvest mixed 12 pack.

Look: Color was a clear deep copper – almost ruby red. Carbonation bubbles were everywhere. Head was virtually nonexistent. Beautiful color though.

Smell: A candy sweetness – like candy apple or hardtack. Some spice, but mostly the candy smell. Some slight pumpkin, but seemed rather artificial.

Taste: First was a pungent artificial pumpkin pie taste. The spice was mixed in somewhere but hard to separate it from the intense pumpkin ‘air freshener’ flavoring. After a few more sips, it started to become extremely overpowering. I certainly couldn’t handle more than one of these before becoming ill.

Enough said…

2.36/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I got this off a recommendation and unfortunately it seems I was overall let down.

Appearance - A very amber look with a decent one-finger head that was slightly off white.

Smell - Although I do not have the best nose in the world, I only got minor traces of fall spices and very slight hint of pumpkin. This usually is not the case with the better pumpkin ales I've tried and worried me a little from the beginning.

Taste - A distant taste of pumpkin followed by a characterless taste of malt. Hints of spice but nothing terribly notable. Ends on a similar hardly present pumpkin flavor note.

Mouthfeel - The beer was more medium to a med-light body with a fair amount of carbonation. Not much of a lingering taste but in this case I didn't mind. Somewhat smooth at points (more than likely from the malts used) but there were moments where it became difficult to continue knowing I had other beer to try.

Overall - A poor representation of what I've come to know as the standard for this beer style, and somewhat of a let down given the great pumpkin ales brewed by the neighboring breweries. My only thoughts were that I was glad it wasn't my first pumpkin ale.

2.37/5  rDev -33.8%

Aroma is heavily spicy with mild malt.
Appearance is orange amber with little head.
Mouthfeel is light not too heavy or strong, but needs more on this area.
Taste is huge spice up front that quickly fades to sublime malt and sweet clean finish with spice aftertaste.
Overall decent but too overspiced and spices not well balanced, needs better flavor of pumpkin, pretty light easy to drink, probably will not buy again until they redo the recipe for the beer.

2.41/5  rDev -32.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint

A deep red amber body sits beneath a two finger light khaki cap. The cap falls quickly, leaving no lace behind.

Weird nose. Cough syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove. No pumpkin to be found. Toasted caramel and sticky toffee are dominant.

The cough syrup component up front is reall off putting. Basic pumpkin spice through the middle with some lingering nutmeg and sticky caramel/toffee. After a while, I start to get some fleshy pumpkin, but maybe I am forcing myself to think its there

Medium body with very low carbonation. Some warming creeps in.

This is a pretty mediocre pumpkin beer. I couldn't really move past the cough syrup component and the general lack of pumpkin is disappointing.

2.48/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I guess I should start this review by saying I don't really care for Pumpkin beers. That being said this is a somewhat more tolerable offering. Color is a nice dark amber with a cola like head that disappeared just as with cola. Smell is like a spiced cookie but with this distracting smell like the smell of salt when you prepare a warm salt water gargle. Taste is that usual spicy after shave that dominates the style. I do appreciate the dryness in the finish which helps to keep the spiciness from getting out of hand. I probably won't seek it out again, but again I don't seek out this style by any brewer.

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Didn't have the orangeness you'd want in a pumpkin ale. Also lacked the aroma of pumpkin, which is mild, but still, a little more cinammon would bring it out.

Taste, still the same problem, not so much pumpkin to it. Coriander seems to be the most prevalent thing, and I doubt its even in the beer. Weird unidentifiable spice presence, its not the cinnamon. Maybe its ginger. Pumpkin is not supposed to be this bitter.

Its easy enough to drink and all, but I wouldn't go out of my way for this one, unless you're a huge pumpkin freak, but if that's the case, you'll probably be even less impressed with this as you'd probably had many of the better ones.

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

Pours a beautiful deep color,smells nice.Pretty good lacing but not much .Taste is ok but kinda heavy with not much pumpkin coming through.It's ok but not one I would go out of my way to buy again.

2.52/5  rDev -29.6%

Dark ruby red in color. Weak head, awful retention and zero lacing.

Spicy aroma. Smells a lot like cough syrup.

Big spicy notes up front, some cinnamon and nutmeg. Odd medicinal cherry sweetness in the middle. Hint of pumpkin comes later but just adds to the mess. Finishes with a smokey off flavor that lingers long into the aftertaste.

Medium-bodied with a semi-coarse and dry texture. Descent carbonation.

Overall, this stuff is pretty poor. Not a good flavor. Just a haphazard mix of flavors that do not mix well together. I don't have a problem with pumpkin in beer but it seems like they didn't spice this right.

2.53/5  rDev -29.3%

This thing was a bomb....a nutmeg bomb. Upon opening, the nutmeg hits you, along with some cinnamon and other spices, maybe a hint of pumpkin. Orange to copper pour with decent head and lacing. The taste was frightening. So much nutmeg with cinnamon undertones that it almost felt like I was drinking the power itself. No pumpkin flavors at all. Mouthfeel was just there. No too heavy or light. Somewhat silky going down.

This was bad. I'm willing to give it another try, but probably not for awhile.

2.58/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle
Best before January 2014

A - Crystal clear, dark amber color. A small tan head vanishes before you look at it a 2nd time.

S - Sweet pumpkin, allspice, nutmeg, light cinnamon, undercooked pumpkin bread, creamy. The yeast sets in and bands with the malt, which is becoming sweeter by the second, and starts overtaking the fresh pumpkin and spice I noticed on 1st pour.

T - Creamy pumpkin filling up front with weird berry fruit esters flaring around. There's a cranberry sweetness (without any tartness). It's pretty sweet and becoming thin as it sets. Generic sweet malt emerges pushing the pumpkin and spices back. There's no hops to speak of except a notion of very faint herbal bitterness. Finishes with a thin syrupy malt sweetness.

M - Thin wet body but the carbonation helps lift it up a bit at first but drops off about mid glass creating a thin syrupy sweet body with a lackluster finish.

This started off good but quickly transformed into a generic sweet liquid. The carbonation was ample at the start which faded, as did the spices and pumpkin, which ultimately lead to a thin sweet malt bomb. I expected more from Sam Adams. If you drink this beer make sure it is ice cold! Don't let this sucker warm up.

2.59/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz standard pressure-cap bottle into a mason jar. Reviewed live.

A- Two-finger khaki head that recedes immediately. Ruby-walnut body.

S- Sickly-sweet pumpkin and blackstrap molasses. Just seems too powerful and sweet. Not a fan of this aroma.

T- Kind of grassy hops lead the charge. Roasty-malts and pumpkin. Not bad, but not good.

M- Heavier feel, roasty sort of dryness at the finish.

O- Not much to say about this beer. Not good.

2.61/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle. 12 oz New England Patriots pint glass. Drinking America's most patriotic beer while watching America's most patriotic team. Not that I'm a Pats fan. I actually like the Eagles.

A: Deep tan 2-finger head sprouts and then withers within minutes. Beer itself is a dark amber color with dark orange highlights.

S: A very faint hint of malt.

T: Subtle caramel malts with barely detectable pumpkin and cinnamon spice notes. There was an odd, basic tinge to this. Sort of like it was tainted by dish soap. The glass had been thoroughly rinsed and I'm certain there wasn't any contamination. A little bit of a raw vegetable aftertaste.

M: Medium with a carpet of prickly carbonation.

O: Trick or treat? Trick! There are much better pumpkin beers out there, and much better fall beers from Sam Adams. Go for their Octoberfest for an autumn SA beer. Look elsewhere for a decent pumpkin ale.

2.61/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Not terrible. I am not a big fan of the Pumpkin Beer Style. A little too much pumpkin spice. I'd prefer something a little more subtle. I think next year I'll steer clear of the pumpkin beers.

2.62/5  rDev -26.8%

Bought at Tupelo, Walmart, part of the 12pack

Been looking forward to this one, saw the 12pack once and didn't get it, had to wait 2 weeks to see it again. This beer is pretty, love the deep color of it.
Smells rather odd, I don't get the pumpkin here, carmel, malt and some some spices, but no thanksgiving.
Taste was a dissapointment, I get banana flavor, brown sugar and then more banana.

If this didn't say Pumpkin on the bottle I might like this more but so far, I am feeling let down. It's not bad, but also not what I want out of a pumpkin beer.

2.63/5  rDev -26.5%

I'm not a huge fan of anything pumpkin, and all in all, this was pretty 'ok'. The pumpkin flavor was pretty subdued but it was for sure noticeable throughout the beer. It was light and a little crisp but didn't have a lot of depth. It could've used an upgrade in the pumpkin aspect of the beer.

2.64/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Looks like a I'd expect a pumpkin ale to look at first - coppery red-gold color. But, on closer examination, it's surprisingly transparent for a dark-colored beer, and it fizzes like a soda.

Smells kind of like pumpkin pie. Taste is overbitter, a little bit astringent, with obvious pumpkin notes. Mouthfeel is quite thin, to match the high transparency.

I can't think of any good reason to buy or drink this beer.

2.65/5  rDev -26%

Hmmm. Not what I expected from SAm Adams.

A: Nice rich brown color, very clear but no head or lacing whatsoever.

S: Big cloves right up front, vanilla.

T: Starts out typical of the style, sort of fake metallic pumpkin flavor but ends with a very unpleasant bitter phenolic roast.

M: Very undercarbonated, bordering on straight up flat.

2.66/5  rDev -25.7%

Pours a deep ruddy amber with adequate lacing and a nice creamy head which dissipates with time.

Aroma are pretty standard for a pumpkin beer. Pumpkin pie spice, some actual pumpkin present as well which is surprising. I'm impressed so far.

Taste does not follow the nose on this one. This beer is average at best. Some bready maltiness and spice is the beginning. Some nutmeg, clove, and a faint pumpkin flavor. I am bored with this beer 1/3 of the way in. Eh, decent beer but nothing to seek out. I bought the whole Fall Harvest 12 pack for this, I feel stupid. I would just prefer more pumpkin flavor or flavor in general but that is my feelings on most of Sam Adams beers.

Mouthfeel is light to medium body, prickly carbonation. It doesn't have the fullness that I seek in a pumpkin beer.

Overall this is a fairly drinkable beer but boring in the end. Best described as middle of the road, like all Sam Adams beers are in my opinion.

Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)