Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin AleSamuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.70% ABV

Brought back in 2010

(Beer added by: Kegatron on 11-10-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros

OK... Forget about the pumpkin in the name. Beer has sugar do you taste that? No. Pumpkin in itself does not have a strong flavor. Its part of the mash. It gives a smoother flavor like a porter except pumpkin was used. Now that we all have that straight.. It is a very well ( near perfect) beer for the season. More hops and less malt sweetness than the Sam's Oktoberfest version. Maybe I was playing Skyrim too much but I felt like I was there while sipping/drinking out of a tall glass in those old drink inn/ houses. I do enjoy other fest beers but this one really fits the bill or season or whatever you want to call it.

So when you pour that beer into that Viking glass and take a good swallow/taste make sure you hold it high and say" Here is to Randy for pointing me into the direction of my Nord ancestors". You can also thank Sam but he just made the beer that's all...enjoy!

Changing my rating to1 for smell and look alone. Bought two more 6 packs that tasted horrible like soap or straight hops.... Called them and complained. Stay away from batch P24640959625 in black letters on the bottle neck!!!!!!!

1.1/5  rDev -68.4%

Photo of
1.25/5  rDev -64.1%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

1.45/5  rDev -58.3%

Bottle poured into standard pint glass. Only purchased a single as part of a pumpkin variety pack to try many brands.

A: Nice amber color, rich looking beer. Not much of a head to speak of.

S: I honestly didn't smell anything. Not spices, not pumpkin, nothing. Normally, in other beers of this style, I can pick up on heavy clove or at least a nice nutmeg aroma. This beer had absolutely no smell. Not even a typical beer smell.

T: There was very little to speak of in terms of taste. I couldn't taste any spices and only a very faint hint of pumpkin. In all honestly, it tasted like Pumpkin-flavored San Pellegrino. It barely even tasted alcoholic. Very thin, very bland, almost water-like. Only in the aftertaste could I even get a hint of the spice, but I need more than that from a pumpkin beer.

M: The mouthfeel was extremely thin. There was a good bit of carbonation, but behind that was a very flat and thin feel. My tongue felt like it was punching through the carbonation and reaching something like water. On the flipside, it make this a very drinkable beer, but not in the way you'd want it to be.

O: I don't know if I got a bad batch or what, but this honestly did not even taste like a beer. It felt like drinking sparkling water. I'm a huge fan of pumpkin ales and I've tried several varieties, but this was by far the most disappointing offering I've tried to date. I might give it another go to see if it really was just a fluke, but I do so hesitantly. Based on this first taste, I would not recommend this beer to anyone.

1.76/5  rDev -49.4%

1.88/5  rDev -46%

Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)