Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin AleSamuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.70% ABV

Brought back in 2010

(Beer added by: Kegatron on 11-10-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a rich amber with a small rosy head, no lace.

The smell is pumpkin and clove heavy, bit of cinnamon. The other spices give it a metallic hint. No real malt or hop presence in the smell.

Dark fruit, spices and a bit of pumpkin make up the taste. The spices aren't as medicinal as the smell. Touch of earthy hops near the finish. Not bad. A bit thin in the mouth.

Glad the pack only came with two. It isn't bad, but there are far better pumpkin beers out there.

OBeerMeGreatOne, Sep 26, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Poured a clear, and watery looking, copper color...the head, wait, what head?...formed little bubbles as I poured but disappeared before I even put the empty bottle down...not much lacing to speak of

S - This was my favorite part of the beer because it had the classic pumpkin pie aromas...cinammon, nutmeg, and other spices filled the nose with sweeter hints of caramel and more mellow notes of pie crust

T - The flavors start off the same as the nose...the classic pumpkin pie spices are rolling around on the palate...they aren't heavy handed which make them pleasant...the middle of the beer brings in the sweet caramel which takes some of the edge off of the spices...a doughy presence also mellows things out...the finish, and this becomes more pronounced as the beer warms, actually brings forth fleshy pumpkin...with the pumpkin coming forward it really adds that vegetable flavor and kind of disappoints me in the finish

M - Medium bodied...smooth, adequete carbonation level...starts sweet and finishes with fleshy pumpkin

O - For me this beer went through a lot of stages...the pour was terrible, the aroma provided what I want in a pumpkin beer, the flavors started nice then finished not so nice...this was just another average pumpkin beer for me

thain709, Sep 26, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +7.2%

Fresh 2011 batch, poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Clear dark copper body with some orange hues in the light. A tight, small white head dissipates quickly and leaves absolutely no retention or lacing of any kind. Dismal, bland and boring for the style, oh well.

S: Cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and hints of freshly baked pumpkin flesh. Faint caramel malts and dough come through towards the end. While I do get some nice flavors off the aroma, as a whole it is very, very muted.

T: Baked warm pumpkin flesh, really nice in displaying an actual pumpkin flavor in the beer. Cinnamon, nutmeg and a bit of bready dough and crust in the linger. Not surprisingly, it's extremely easy drinking and really flavorful once the initial chill wore off and allowed the flavors to come through.

M: Nice and bubbly, easy drinking, medium to light bodied, not bad at all for the style. Nothing is dry or off in the finish or linger, just really solid and well done.

This is one of the few Pumpkin Ales that actually manage to get a very good pumpkin flavor in the beer without overloading on the spices. True, they are present but I think the actual pumpkin "meat" is displayed rather nicely.

ShanePB, Sep 26, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +9.2%

From the bottle pours rusty tan with small creamy tan/white head. Smells of caramel,spices,candy. Tastes like pumpkin pie with smooth spices, caramel, and not overly sweet or spicey. Nice touch of hops and creamy.
The mouth feel is refreshing and creamy.
I give this one an overall of 4.0 not bad for their first try at Puumpkin Ale and very drinkable, not the best one I have had but very nice.

Schmidts, Sep 25, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours a deep amber, a slightly caramel head quickly dissipates into a thin film. Smell is allspice, some pumpkin, sweet malts. Taste is pretty full, allspice, tiny bit of clove, some subtle roasted malt. Not hugely spiced. Pumpkin is throughout and works ok with the minor spicing and sweetness. Mouthfeel is fine, some larger bubbles off the tongue, medium bodied. Overall this delivers as a pumpkin ale but not something I will be purchasing again, nothing really stands out for me.

stickynotes, Sep 25, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours from the 12 oz. bottle a reddish brown color with a 1/2 finger off-white head that vanished almost as soon as I was finished pouring. The carbonation is very light, I can practically count the bubbles on one hand. Aroma is of spice and a light caramel note. 1st sip brings a note of spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice) with a slight hint of caramel and a rich background of pumpkin. This is the closest to the "pumpkin pie in a glass" cliche that I have ever come across. The mouthfeel is medium bodied. Overall, an Ok beer, but not something I would seek out again.

CJfromPhilly, Sep 24, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, russet color with a creamy tan head. Pleasantly spiced pumpkin pie aroma along with caramel malt and subtle pumpkin. Mellow flavor all around. Spices show up in the aftertaste...cinnamon, ginger, clove...smooth and easy going. Sweet-ish caramel and a touch of bread, but not a tremendous amount of pumpkin. Smooth and drying in the finish. Certainly not bad at all. I could drink several of these and be perfectly happy.

wedge, Sep 24, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -12.9%

Fall 2011 has arrived! Into a pint glass this pours a very clear ruby red highlighted amber color under a light tan colored head. Aroma is mild with a note of pumpkin spice and perhaps a hint of cinnamon. A hefty grainy toasted malt body comes through in the mouthfeel and finishes with a somewhat peppery spiced detail. Not much sweetness seems to come through in the flavor to me and I am led to believe that this is more in the style of a traditional pumpkin ale as opposed to the BIG and eclectic Fall brews of American craft beer today. I'm curious to try this with one food...

albertjr21, Sep 24, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +6.3%

A- Brown sugar hue into a pint glass. Small tan head dissipates rather quickly. No lace from a small ring on the beer.

S- Not the strongest aroma but a decent amount of cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar and dark fruit.

T- Pumpkin dessert. The usual suspects with a forward spice presence but not overbearing. Cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, brown sugar and dark fruit.

MF- Highly carbonated silky light body. Slight residual bitterness.

Drinkable with a pretty good flavor. I would say a tad too much spice for the body and size of the beer.

cbutova, Sep 24, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +2%

12 oz beer was poured into a pibt glass

Appearance: The beer poured a very thin head that has reduced to nothing. The color of the beer is a ruby red/mohogany shade. There are signs of carboantion and the clarity is somewhat visible due to the dark shade

Smell: Smells delicious. Pumpkn spice, pumkpin, brown sugar, cinnamon, all spice, clove, and sweet malts.

Taste: All the same as smell, the taste lingers off very quickly. Nice balance of sweet malts too.

Mouthfeel: smooth, a decent amount of carbonation, watery and thin, and light bodies. Spices are starting to annoy me.

Overall: I will have to say that is not the best pumpkin beer I have tried, but a reasonable one at best. Wouldn't mind trying it out on draft if possible. I would try it again if it were offered to me.

Flounder57, Sep 23, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +25.9%

Poured a clear amber...big foamy 1 inch head, that reduced to a 1/4 inch collar.
nose was of sweet pumpkin spice.
Taste is very satisfying, creamy full mouthfeel, nice pumpkin flavor,but not overwhelming, some roasted malts round this out nicely, DFH pumpkin ale is my fave, but I would put this one as my runner up, very well done...good stuff! :)

steinlifter, Sep 22, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours out a dark red amber with a thin tan head that leaves little retention and not much lacing. The smell is pumpkin and spices. The taste starts with some spices followed by some hops and pumpkin. The sweet caramel malt is consistent through out and gives it a nice balanced taste. The mouthfeel is sticky, but easy to drink and overall a very good tasting beer that gives Sam Adams another winner.

DannyDan, Sep 22, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +20.7%

Appearance: A beautiful reddish brown color, with a short tan head, leaves little lacing

Smell: Spices, pumpkin, and caramely malts

Taste: This really should be know as the pumpkin pie beer, because it tastes like you're drinking pumpkin pie. There is a generous amount of pumpkin pie spices and pumpkin, balanced out with some good caramely malts and some hops. It tastes much better than it sounds. I've had one pumpkin beer before, and it was nasty. This, however, is amazing. Sam Adams hit a home run with this one, in my book anyways. This alone is worth the purchase of the Fall 12 pack (though I like most of what that 12 pack contains).

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body, with good carbonation. Gives you some of that thickness that pumpkin demands, but doesn't go overboard, as the beer isn't too rich.

Overall: Love it. With good brews like this, it makes me wonder how Sam Adams puts out some terribly mediocre stuff. But I guess with the kind of selection they offer, I'm not going to like everything.

MadCat, Sep 22, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 16 oz taste activator glass.

Pours a deep amber red with practically no head even when poured hard to try and force one. Very little lacing if any.

Smells sweet of caramel and pumpkin spice. Nothing else too noticeable.

Taste is overwhelmingly creamy, sweet pumpkin pie. A reflection of roasted malt to finish.

Good amount of carbination, but not too dry or crisp. A fair medium, not too thick not too light.

Overall a pretty tasty beer but not one that I would like to have more than one or two of. I was anticipating this out of all of the beers in the Harvest Collection, but unfortunately it's not my favorite. I would recommend giving it a sampling though.

Fulky, Sep 22, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +5.7%

Pretty good looking, very amber and pretty clear, head is good and lasts a bit, with a pretty good lace left behind.

Smell is nicely pumpkin, with some good spices and a nice malt backbone. Taste follows with sweet malts, spices, pumpkin, toffee.

Feel is nice and light, almost medium, easy to drink and medium carbonation.

A nice addition to the fall sampler. Not the best pumpkin ever but it's still pretty good stuff.

AlCaponeJunior, Sep 21, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +21.3%

A: dark mahogany. Tan head. Nice lacing.
S: caramel sweetness. Toffee. Pumpkin spices.
T: toffee, caramel, light pumpkin spices. Roasted malts.
Mf: moderate body. Not too heavy. Moderate carbonation.
O: great pumpkin ale. Not over powering like most pumpkins ales.
Pretty refreshing.

rmolledo, Sep 21, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Picked up from Julio's. Wante to try this for a couple years now...

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a rich, crystal clear deep copper almost hazelnut with a nice one finger creamy head that faded slowly to leave minimal side lacing and nice haloing.

S - Sweet malts, light pumpkin spice notes, and even some nice pumpkin.

T - More of the same. Some sweet malts typical pumpkin pie spices. A little bit of roasted veg (pumpkin) rounds things out.

M - Nice mouthfeel. Good carbonation for this style though it does feel slightly thin.

O - Overall I enjoyed this sam adam's offering. I'd rather drink this than a shipyard.

rudzud, Sep 21, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -4.3%

Brilliant deep copper, verging on brown. No head to speak of, just a thin bit of foam that dies down. Don't really expect head from a pumpkin ale though. No lace.

Marshmallow, pie spices, roasted squash.

Pie spice, some tang, a little bit of sweet malt and squash. Spice lingers for quite a while.

Medium bodied. Medium-low carbonation. Slick feeling.

An ok pumpkin ale, especially for the ABV, but there are way better out.

MrOH, Sep 21, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -15.8%

A: Pours a deep, cherry, amber in color with some golden hues near the edges of the glass when held up to the light. A good amount of foamy head sits atop, but dissipates quickly to almost nothing and doesn't leave much lacing around, either. Carbonation looks good.

S: Earthy, manure and sweet, candy-like pumpkin aroma with a malty backbone and some spice. Not very appealing to me, and has an air of "fakeness" to it.

T: Very sweet up front with caramel and molasses malts followed by a lot of pumpkin and spice, bittering on the backend with a slight hop presence. The spice doesn't sit well with me, though I imagine pumpkin fans would appreciate this.

M: Medium bodied with light and active carbonation. A bit thin on the tongue, could use a little more chewiness. It would be quite drinkable for those who can palate the flavor.

O: I was disappointed with this one, but perhaps it's just me. I guess I just don't really care much for pumpkin and spice in beer, or, at the least, I'm just not in the mood for it. I found it quite hard to drink and I think I'll pass on this one in the future. That said, I gave the remaining brews to my buddy who promptly drank them down and said he quite liked them, so don't let my review deter you. A solid offering from the Boston Brewing Company, just not for me!

kflorence, Sep 21, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours out a clear dark red beer, two finger whitish head. Smells of pumpkin spices, lightly scented. A sweet tasting beer, mildly offset by subtle spices. No real mouthfeel to speak of. The beer overall is decent comparing to other pumpkin beers that ive had.

tweeder263, Sep 21, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours clear dark brown with plenty of carbonation, although the head dies down very quickly. You can definitely pick up on the pumpkin spices, but the pumpkin itself is more elusive. It comes through better with a sip, but I would probably like this beer better with more real pumpkin flavor. Still, this is a nice tasting beer, although not as good as their Octoberfest for the seasonal style.

I liked it just fine, but would prefer one of their Octoberfest lagers if I had my choice in the cooler.

bgjohnston, Sep 20, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass a wonderfully dark and deep auburn-tan color. It’s darker than I expected, almost the color of the brown glass bottle, but tinged with a ruddy reddish hue. Looks great, which is why I’ve spent so many characters on the appearance.

On the nose I’m picking up a lot of the spices that make the better pumpkin ales so enjoyable. Elsewhere I wrote how I prefer festbiers over pumpkin ales in terms of fall seasonal, and part of that is because I want those aspects of pumpkin ales that make them, well, pumpkin-ny, to be present. On this beer I’m definitely getting some allspice, hints of cinnamon and clove, maybe some nutmeg in the aroma as it warms. Not a lot of pumpkin aroma, but at this point in my tastings of pumpkin beers I don’t expect to smell pumpkin as much as taste it—or experience it vis-à-vis the spice profile.

…only, I’m not sure I’m tasting it, either. The spices hold up on the palate, with a curious finish. Is that pumpkin? Or just pumpkin spices added to beer? It’s not harsh but out-of-balance just enough to notice, almost like the point between boiling cinnamon for tea where it turns from being sweet and pleasant to bitter and harsh. Nice carbonation throughout makes for a pleasing, crisp refresh with each subsequent sip. I’d like to sit on this and see how it warms but I don’t think it will last me long enough. Described on the label as an amber ale and I feel that, aside from the spicing and vegetable portions this could be a bolder, better beer than their Irish red I tried the other night. A fun beer and one of the surprises in the Sam Adams Fall Sampler.

Update: I don’t know if it’s because it’s had another month to sit or it’s just the reviewer (me) picking up different things from the same beer but revisiting the SA Pumpkin Ale I definitely pick up a pumpkinny-malt profile that (going back to my notes and previous review) I either missed or didn’t notice at first. It’s there, folks. And it’s delicious.

elNopalero, Sep 20, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +7.2%

I'm tackling a horizontal tasting of four pumpkin ales tonight. First up, Samuel Adams.

This beer is by far the darkest of the four. It almost looks like a brown ale. No head. There's a lot of cinnamon on the nose. It reminds me of apple cider (the non-alcoholic variety).

For me, the taste follows the nose. It tastes like apple cider to me as it has a strong cinnamon presence. There's an undercurrent of pumpkin puree, but it's the cinnamon that stands out. As a cinnamon fan, I'm OK with this.

As the beer warms, I'm finding it to be too sweet at first and and too hot on the finish. I expect some of that in pumpkin ales, but I'm finding the sweetness and the hotness to be a bit strong.

That said, I still like this beer and would consider buying it in a six-pack (if that was an option), especially at Samuel Adams' price point.

airforbes1, Sep 19, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +5.7%

Served chilled (fridge) into a pint glass, it pours a dark reddish-amber color with about 1 pinky finger thick of tannish bubbly head that quickly dissipates to some bubbles on the surface. Fairly standard for the style.

Pumpkin spice and nutmeg jumps into my sinuses right away and overpower my nose. Some slight caramel also finds it's way. Overall, this is true to the style.

Sipping reveals a slightly roasty flavor of almonds or peanuts along with a nice cinnamon and pumpkin spice flavor. Pumpkin pie is very much what this tastes like having it with beer. What I expected, but even better than I expected.

Decent feel, but slightly watery on the finish. A lot of drying spice (cinnamon) really takes over the finish on this one. Makes me have to create saliva a bit due to how drying it is. Other than that, it's fairly nice.

Overall, a nice offering from a very solid brewery. There's nothing they can't pull off, make a ton of to include in boxes and ship to the masses. Well done!

Fish113d, Sep 19, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -21.6%

A- a really nice white frothy head that i am not accustomed to with this pumpkin ale. The color is a very light brown with orange of course highlighting through the glass. very clear.

S- Spice overload. no hops very little malt just spices. But I like it here.

T- Spice overload a hotness from the cinnamon and nutmeg. Just a hot mess.

M- It's carbonated nicely and it also is a nice medium bodied beer.

O- The taste kills it, and the taste is the most important part of beer

tykees88, Sep 17, 2011
Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)