1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin AleSamuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.70% ABV

Brought back in 2010

(Beer added by: Kegatron on 11-10-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros

yanosh, Oct 20, 2013

Act25, Oct 16, 2013

Kruja5, Oct 16, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -28.2%

jnjander, Oct 15, 2013

Another very solid seasonal brew from our native boy Samuel Adams. Good pumpkin aroma and nice orangey color - really par for the course with most good pumpkin ales. Decently viscous which gives you a good thick mouthful of beer to really get that pumpkin essence. Nice balance of spice with a hint of sweetness that really takes this beer to the 4.0 outstanding level. Not my all time favorite pumpkin (see my reviews on my local Crossroads Brewing Company of Athens NY "Dr. Loomis Pumkin Ale" and of course "Southern Tier Pumpking") but very very good overall. For the price (~$8.99 a sixer at the local "Beer World") probably one of the best in that category if you like Fall pumpkin ales.

Brouwerij78, Oct 15, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

AdamElb, Oct 15, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +36.5%

Edhel, Oct 15, 2013

Tom-Peters, Oct 14, 2013

rw1992, Oct 14, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance:
Pours a deep brownish-bronze color body. While plenty if sediment is detectable, it still appears as though this is an almost transparent beer. Crowned with a thin, bone-white head that reduces itself to nothing in short order and no noticable carbonation.

Aroma:
Practically non-existant... Seriously. Allspice and cinnamon are all I get and they're so faint, it's as if some put a teaspoon of each on a plate and asked me to smell them from across the room.

Taste:
Considering how vague the aroma was, I didn't have high hopes for anything else. I can happily report that my worries need not apply. Your typical pumpkin pie spices are all here; cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Brown sugar provides a nice sweetness up front while there is a nice, piney hop providing some bittering balance.

Mouthfeel:
Pretty light for a pumpkin beer - as is carbonation. Crisp finish.

Overall:
This isn't a bad beer, however, you may have notice there is no reference to it anywhere above - I didn't detect any. All the other makings for a solid pumpkin beer are here in taste alone. The aroma was a big disappointment, but other than that it's a decent beer.

alphagnome, Oct 14, 2013

jdkitchi, Oct 13, 2013

I like pumpkin beers, but I dislike that they are released in late-August and gone by October. For that reason, I lay in my pumpkins and await the arrival of October to break them out.

From the bottle: "Early New England colonists were nothing if not resourceful. Lacking traditional malts, they added pumpkin to their brews & the first pumpkin ales were born."; "This modern adaptation uses 4 different malts, and over 17 lbs. of real pumpkin per barrel, for a rich depth of flavor & unmistakable character. Cheers! [undersigned] Jim Koch".

My pour was too much for the glass and I got a little bit of overpour as the result. Allowing it to calm, I got two dense fingers of thick, tawny head with great retention. As it slowly fell, I was left with great lacing. Color was a deep mahogany (!) (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-plus quality clarity. They must have filtered the bejeezus out of the beer to get it this bright! I could see into my future and it was my 50th birthday party in Lincoln, NE with Val Midwest for her 21st. Nose smelled like what the Brewdogs boys tried to make in Philly - molasses, cinnamon, spruce tips, pumpkin. This was a revolutionary-era beer if I ever smelled one. The mouthfeel was big, creamy, and full. The taste was beautiful - some malt, some pumpkin, some spice, some caramel. It was like candy, but not in a bad way. Leave it to Brewer Bob and the boys to nail it. I think that I have hit upon a new favorite! Finish was semi-sweet, allowing me to savor the flavors without getting overwhelmed with sweetness, which is where a lot of pumpkin ales leave me high and dry. I now want to do a side-by-side with Pumking, which was my previous # 1.

woodychandler, Oct 13, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

TxMdScotty298, Oct 13, 2013
Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)