Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin AleSamuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: Kegatron on 11-10-2008

Brought back in 2010
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,475 | Reviews: 632
3.69/5  rDev +6.3%

I'm tackling a horizontal tasting of four pumpkin ales tonight. First up, Samuel Adams.

This beer is by far the darkest of the four. It almost looks like a brown ale. No head. There's a lot of cinnamon on the nose. It reminds me of apple cider (the non-alcoholic variety).

For me, the taste follows the nose. It tastes like apple cider to me as it has a strong cinnamon presence. There's an undercurrent of pumpkin puree, but it's the cinnamon that stands out. As a cinnamon fan, I'm OK with this.

As the beer warms, I'm finding it to be too sweet at first and and too hot on the finish. I expect some of that in pumpkin ales, but I'm finding the sweetness and the hotness to be a bit strong.

That said, I still like this beer and would consider buying it in a six-pack (if that was an option), especially at Samuel Adams' price point.

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

From 2010 Sam Adams Harvest Collection 12-pack.

Moderate pour yields a dark copper/ mahogany brew with a short-lived two-finger head.

Maybe the slightest hint of pumpkin on the nose, but mainly spices (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg... maybe some allspice), along with a solid malt backbone.

Taste is about the same; primarily spices along with just a hint a pumpkin-y sweetness.

Mouthfeel seems just a touch thin for an autumn ale, with a very dry finish.

I couldn't drink more than a couple of these in a row, but I'm not going to blame that on the beer as much as my own taste preferences. I don't like pumpkin, or many of the spices it's typically flavored with. Knowing that, it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. Still nothing I'll be searching out in the future!

Got this with the SA seasonal pack. I was really curious about this one and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Has a nice Mahogany brown color with little head.

The taste is good. Spicy pumpkin flavor this not too sweet at all. Not strong flavors but well balanced. I would have not trouble drinking a couple of these every once in a while in the autumn.

Just a nice easy to get Autumn sipper!

3.36/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours clear dark brown with plenty of carbonation, although the head dies down very quickly. You can definitely pick up on the pumpkin spices, but the pumpkin itself is more elusive. It comes through better with a sip, but I would probably like this beer better with more real pumpkin flavor. Still, this is a nice tasting beer, although not as good as their Octoberfest for the seasonal style.

I liked it just fine, but would prefer one of their Octoberfest lagers if I had my choice in the cooler.

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

Aroma is freshly cut raw pumpkin. Some spice but can't make out specifically what it is.

Pours small off-white head. Dissipates quickly. Some lacing. Deep mahogony color. High clarity.

More of the pumpkin with a good dose of nutmeg followed by allspice. Low bitterness.Bready malt character. Some fruitiness.

Medium-low mouthfeel. Medium carbonation. Alcohol not noticeable.

Everything balanced on this beer, but balanced to the low side. It shouldn't offend too many palates.

3.37/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Dark amber with an almost reddish hue. Decent head that quickly dissipated with fat carbonation that left a little lace.

S - Spices, anise, clove, cinnamon, cardamom, slight woody quality. Some malt profile buried beneath the spice.

T - Malt and sweet upfront with a slightly astringent quality. The spices talk beneath the malt but don't provide enough character to add much to the brew. Overall has a pretty sticky, flabby character, followed by a ricey finish backed up with some clove. The pumpkins come out in the finish.

M - Sticky, light carbonation without much depth.

O - Not too good. Flavor profile lacks depth for a style that generally has a good character from the spice. It's kinda like a Sam Light with some spice added.

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

A-Frothy head with a dark amber color and some lacing
S- Spicy smell with malt in the background
T- Spices- I taste cinnamon, nutmeg, not overpowering. Partners up well with toasty malt background
M- Smooth, mild carbonation with a medium body
O- Tasty, a decent Pumpkin ale, and I would highly recommend considering the good price. Not the best example of the style but far from the worst.

3.25/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazel, brown, reddish color with a thin off white head.

Smell: A ton of spicy aroma, cinnamon, nutmeg, not a lot of pumpkin though.

Taste: The spices greatly overwhelm any pumpkin flavor, it may come out at the end, but still very little.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated well, medium body.

Overall: Definitely not my favorite fall beer. There is not a ton a pumpkin flavor and it overrun by the spices. I would not go looking for it.

2.64/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Looks like a I'd expect a pumpkin ale to look at first - coppery red-gold color. But, on closer examination, it's surprisingly transparent for a dark-colored beer, and it fizzes like a soda.

Smells kind of like pumpkin pie. Taste is overbitter, a little bit astringent, with obvious pumpkin notes. Mouthfeel is quite thin, to match the high transparency.

I can't think of any good reason to buy or drink this beer.

3.74/5  rDev +7.8%

A: Pours a dark brown and is topped by a thin sheet of foam that sticks to the outer walls of the glass. One of the more enticing appearances of a pumpkin ale.

S: Heavy on the spice. I can definintly make out cinnamon(sp), nutmeg, and possibly some all spice. My only problem with the nose is that the pumpkin is barely discernable. This could be a winter warmer if I didn't know any better.

T: Again the taste is primarily spices not much on the pumpkin side. There is a slight bitterness present. nothing bad, however, and worth trying; especially if you are not crazy about pumpkin.

M:Lively could be smoother.

O: I like this beer; however, I think that it could be enhanced and made to be a beer I love.

3.33/5  rDev -4%

A - Amber brown in color with a cream colored frothy head that leaves some minimal lacing.

S - Pumpkin, Spices, Roasted Malt.

T - Same as the nose.

M - Medium bodied.

O - A good beer, not great, nothing special, but at the same time I could drink a few of these.

3.66/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours with a small cream-colored head that settled quickly in to a thin layer with little lacing. There is nice clarity to the amber liquid. The scent of pumpkin pie spices leap from the glass, making me long for whipped cream and a buttery crust. Small hints of cherry cordial. The flavor is spice-forward and a little unbalanced. Tangy, bold coriander citrus with abundant cinnamon, ginger and allspice. The amber malts and vague pumpkin flavor struggle to keep up. The mouthfeel is medium-thin with a pithy, prickly carbonation. The finish consists of burnt caramel and gingersnaps. Outside of the scent, there is little pumpkin to be found here. It's a gingerbread house in a bottle. Despite the overriding spice themes, this is surprisingly easy to drink. It is somehow cleaner than many of the other comparable offerings, which seems like a a contradiction. Quite enjoyable.

I really liked this beer. The warmer it got, the more flavors I could really extract out of this beer. Tasted like a nice crisp ale on the front end, but finished with a great sweetness of pumpkin and cloves and cinnamon on the end. I couldn't really pick this up well from the smell, but it was such a great beer and I very much enjoyed it. I could definitely put a few of these down as I'm sitting around a fire and enjoying fall.

From notes 10/17/10.

A- Dark amber/brown, 1 1/2 fingers tan head, medium bubbling.

S- Nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin, malt.

T/M- Medium body, rich texture, same taste as smell.

D- Not terrible, but nothing special. Seems generic and run of the mill. I expected more and was let down.

4.2/5  rDev +21%

A: dark mahogany. Tan head. Nice lacing.
S: caramel sweetness. Toffee. Pumpkin spices.
T: toffee, caramel, light pumpkin spices. Roasted malts.
Mf: moderate body. Not too heavy. Moderate carbonation.
O: great pumpkin ale. Not over powering like most pumpkins ales.
Pretty refreshing.

3.51/5  rDev +1.2%

12 oz bottle best before Feb '13. Poured into a hoffman house chalice.

A - Pour straight down the middle generates a large, reddish tan tightly packed head. Color is deep red to brown, very clear. Medium to low carbonation on inspection.

S - Sweet cinnamon with a deep fruitiness, almost cherry-like. Aroma not as powerful as some of the heavier pumpkin beers, but still present.

T - Creamy caramel with a subtle cracker note fades into a very mild brown sugar and allspice flavor. No hops obvious. Finish is modestly sweet. Some pumpkin-like flavors noticed in the finish (like summer squash).

M - Medium to heavy body with mild carbonation. Excellent mouthfeel.

O - An easy drinking, modest but tasty example of the pumpkin ale style. Not as spiced and aggressive as many of the most popular examples, but a clean brew that is easy to drink. Note that this was consumed at cellar temperature, which greatly increased the mouthfeel and enjoyability of this beer.

4.12/5  rDev +18.7%

Appearance - nice orange copper color.

Smell - malty, spiced with cinnamon and some other sweet smelling spices.

Taste - leaves a good, sweeter aftertaste. Actually a fairly tasty Pumpkin offering.

Mouthfeel - beer

Overall - I like this beer quite a bit. Especially on a cool autumn night watching my Buckeyes crush fools.

2.88/5  rDev -17%

From the Sam Adams fall mixpack, poured into a pint glass

A - 2 fingers of tan head reduces slowly leaving a nice cap over the top. The color is deep red-orange amber, very clear with small bubbles rising steadily

S - Pumpkin and clove, along with nutmeg, and a slight malt sweetness, doesn't cloy to much.

T - Candied walnuts, pumpkin and clove, up front. Not as sweet as I expected. Sadly it's a bit watery and thin in the middle leading into a very subtle bitter hop finish.

M - light side of medium

O - Not a bad pumpkin offering overall. Nice aroma and initial flavor, but falls apart in the middle to back end and ultimately disappoints.

4.05/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured from a fresh 12oz into a pint glass

A: Burnt caramel in hue with a fluffy, creme head. This looks like a beer I would want in my glass on a (still hot) autumn evening.

S: Meaty notes of pumpkin character sprinkled with familiar spices of nutmeg and cinnamon. The aroma has a good throw and presents a welcome scent upon each quaff.

T: Big, hearty notes of pumpkin bread with a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon. The beer has a bold, consistent flavor all the way through and finishes with a touch of sweetness.

M: Rather full bodied with a great velvety character. I enjoyed the smoothness of this brew upon the palette. Full on flavor but gentle on the palate. Compliments to SA for getting this one down right.

O: I rather enjoyed Samuel Adam's seasonal pumpkin offering. Although a rather tried and true style, BBC just got it right with this one in creating a superbly drinkable and well flavored seasonal.

4.11/5  rDev +18.4%

Highly drinkable. Great fall flavors with pronounced spices typical of pumpkin pie. Slight carbonation, just enough for what this beer needs. Would gladly have this one again. Among the better of the pumpkin ales I've tried over the years. Nice job Boston Beer Co!

2.94/5  rDev -15.3%

A - Deep copper body with some hints of an earthy brown. Slighty beige head is thin, yet hangs around fairly well. No lacing.

S - I would have probably guessed this was a Boston Lager if I didn't know what it was. A nice bready malt comes through, but no spices or pumpkin presence that I can decipher. Maybe a little cinnamon if I can really envision it.

T - Pumpkin is coming through a lot more in the taste, but this is a pretty bland beer overall. Some dry spices come through like nutmeg and cinnamon, but again you have to dig deep for them.

M - A little heavy on the carbonation for me.

O - A very approachable beer that sacrifices flavor for broad appeal. About what I expected, I suppose. Regardless, it's something I could drink again but would not seek out.

3.92/5  rDev +13%

Brown in color with red highlights, tan head of about an inch dissipating to lacing on beer and glass. Smell was definitely malty with alcohol, followed by pumpkin. I didn't detect any spices here in the smell. However, taste was of pumpkin and spice, generous of malt, with only a bit of bitterness in the aftertaste. Mouth feel was syrupy with generous tingle of carbonation.

Overall, i really liked this beer. My only complaint is that it could use more pumpkin flavor with more assertive spices.

3.91/5  rDev +12.7%

A - Deep Red/amber color with coffee-colored head. Great, traditional german look.

S - Very yeasty smell, with some pumpkin in the background.

T - Extremely well balanced pumpkin ale. Hits all the notes you'd want - pumpkin pie/fall spices, yeast, mild hop character, complex and subtle.

D - VERY drinkable, not as biting as some pumpkin ales.

Great beer, a very impressive offering from Sam Adams. Catch it!

2.63/5  rDev -24.2%

I'm not a huge fan of anything pumpkin, and all in all, this was pretty 'ok'. The pumpkin flavor was pretty subdued but it was for sure noticeable throughout the beer. It was light and a little crisp but didn't have a lot of depth. It could've used an upgrade in the pumpkin aspect of the beer.

2.62/5  rDev -24.5%

Bought at Tupelo, Walmart, part of the 12pack

Been looking forward to this one, saw the 12pack once and didn't get it, had to wait 2 weeks to see it again. This beer is pretty, love the deep color of it.
Smells rather odd, I don't get the pumpkin here, carmel, malt and some some spices, but no thanksgiving.
Taste was a dissapointment, I get banana flavor, brown sugar and then more banana.

If this didn't say Pumpkin on the bottle I might like this more but so far, I am feeling let down. It's not bad, but also not what I want out of a pumpkin beer.

Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)