LongShot Cranberry Wit - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

LongShot Cranberry WitLongShot Cranberry Wit

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 12-29-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of LongShot Cranberry Wit Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
1.57/5  rDev -56.1%

This beer makes me fear what entries lost. Pours hazy gold with a medium white head, no lacing. Vomit nose, seriously, it smells like vomit. Okay taste, the cranberries are present, but so is a sickening malt/sweet concoction that is not good. The "wit" part of this beer is absent for the most part. There is a wheat aftertaste, but it is awfully similar to the aftertaste you get with Miller Lite. Bubbly mouthfeel that turns into a long, acidic, mouth-coating neighbor that stays too long. Avoid this disaster. (513 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -47.2%

Pours a pale orange. Billowy white foam head.

Not much aroma, but there is a definite cranberry and ... cinnamon??? ... scent.

The taste is just abysmal. Samuel Adams can't do fruit beers, apparently. The cinnamon, orange rind, and spices sound nice, but in practice they are awful. The cranberry seems artificial, and the entire thing is painful to drink.

So. Bad. (368 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -30.7%

Bought as part of the Sam Adams Longshot six-pack. The main draw was the Double IPA, but I wanted to give the other beers a fair tasting.

Poured into a glass with a golden to orange color. Smell hit with tart cranberry. There also is a lemony scent that offers a nice contrast to the cranberry. The flavor is overly sweet and tart. The cranberry is overpowering, much more than the smell would indicate. The mouthfeel is where this beer really loses me though. If the taste was not enough like cranberry soda, the excessive carbonation makes the comparison inevitable. This was dstractly fizzy, so much so that I did not want to finish it, but I never waste beer. The drinkability was low for me. For someone who enjoyed this, it was probably high due to the low ABV.

Overall, a beer I just did not enjoy. I wanted to but found it overly carbonated and distractingly sweet. A beer I will avoid in the future, even though the DIPA was great. (943 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -29.6%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Cloudy burnt-orange hue with two finger white head that slowly settles to an even thin cap, leaving behind a webby wall of lacing.

I can't say I agree much with the aroma of this one. The sourness of the cranberry mixes with the very dry wheat grain aromas, making a somewhat sour smell.

A little more of the same in the flavor, with two tart (wheat and cranberry) flavors amplifying each other. There seems to be a little more of a sugary presence in the flavor, and also a bit of spice.

I wouldn't say the lower score is really a knock to the skill of the original brewer, just not popular ingredients. Anything with cranberry is difficult to please all, unless it's loaded with sugar. (722 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked up the longshot pack for uber-cheap at my local whole foods (payed like 7 bucks for it) which was surprising. I'd heard great things about the Double IPA but these came too.

The pour on this beer is great. The color is a muddled, hazy gold with some orange tint. The head is beautiful- pillowy, white, and huge. It dissipated very fast but left traces here and there...

I smell berry here but, honestly, I don't think it's cranberry. I can't figure out the nose at all. A little bit of cherry perhaps.

Wow. This beer is pretty sweet. The cranberry is almost overkill, I hate to say it. It really comes through on the finish and I'm struggling with it. This might take some time to finish...

It's got a light to medium body and decent carbonation. I'm struggling a bit with the drinkability since I can't quite stomach the flavor.

Anyway, pick up a pack. No sense not drinking these. Give 'em a go. (909 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured this from a 12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass and found a hazy orange almost apple cider color beer with approximately two fingers of creamy white head.

A. I was excited about this beer after my first look as it looks very good.

S. Slight hints of citrus and wheaty beer smell other than that not much else.

T. Slight taste of cranberry toward the end of each sip other than that nothing much. Not too impressed with the taste, perhaps if I had let it warm up more than I did.

M. Smooth mouthfeel with a creaminess from the thick head.

D. I could drink a few of these but might need some additional flavor from an orange or citrus.

Not nearly impressed with this beer as I was with the others in the Longshot pack such as the Double IPA. (756 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Aroma - Kind of earthy but there is something off with the aroma (not a good start)

Appearance - Cloudy pale orange with a fluff white head.

Taste - Definite witbier base and a sweet fruitiness that comes on later than expected. I don't like this flavor at all, its seems very muddled (as in not doing anything well). The cranberry just gets in the way of the beer flavor.

Notes - Medium bodied and a good amount of carbonation. I thought that maybe the first bottle I had was off so I left the second bottle for another day. I can report now that that bottle too tasted like this. Maybe I'm missing something but this beer just didn't do it for me. (652 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -23.5%

Appearance: Very cloudy. Nice white foamy head. Good head retention. Decent lacing.

Aroma: Definitely pick up on the musty wheat aroma. I didn't get any cranberry notes.

Taste: Sweet, subtle fruit. Bitter aftertaste which I found unfortunate because initially I enjoyed the light refreshing taste, but the bitterness ruins it for me..

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated which I'm not so sure I appreciate in wheat beers. However, light on the pallet. (445 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -23.5%

12oz bottle. notched for sep 2009. tasted in early may.

cloudy straw color with pink tones and brown tint. 1-finger rocky head, fades to thin layer. decent lacing, esp. later.

aroma: whiff of... sulfur?! almost skunky... then bread, yeast, mild fruity cranberry and citrus note, and weak spices. cinnamon comes out towards the end.

taste: crisp, mildly tart w cranberry, touch of sweetness, bready yeastiness, mild to moderate bitterness (more than i'm looking for in a witbier), and again that sulfurous skunk-like note again. (what the heck?!) spices and cinnamon in back.

light body, with acidity. fizzy carbonation at least can be creamy at times, but that's it.

i don't know what happened here. the concept sounded fine. maybe it got lightstruck in the bottling line? or infected? (790 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -21.8%

Stuck with these in the mixed Longshot six-pack. Pours with a big, rocky white head, which sits nicely on top of the medium amber body. Smells like a wheat beer, and not much more. Tastes like it sounds--a fairly decent wheat beer with a hint of cranberry. Better than the cranberry limbic, but not much else. (309 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -21.5%

Enjoyed on 07.03.09 from a 12oz brown bottle poured into a hefe glass.

A: Cloudy yellow with a purple tint.Good lacing w/mild head retention.

S: Aromas tell of lemon & wheat w/ a small hint of cranberry, plum.

T & M: Begins w/ lemon zest up front, and only a bit of cranberries but subsides to a nice wheat and orange peel with a dash of spices in the aftermath. A really good summer evening brew. Good body and a nice slick smooth finish.

D: A good take on a Belgian Wit. Well done. (487 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours a hazy yellowish color with a slight pink tint to it. There is a nice two finger head to it which gives way to nice lacing. The smell of the beer isn't very strong. There is a hint of cranberry and some lemon smell to it as well. The taste of the beer is of cranberry and lemon, the taste however isn't overpowering like the blackberry and cranberry lambic of sam adams. There is more of a grain finish to the beer. The mouthfeel is moderate carbonation. The overall drinkability of the beer is okay. You could drink alot of them back to back however, the taste was a little disappointing to me and slightly bitter. (621 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -18.7%

Pours from the bottle a nice, hazy orange with three fingers of pillowy, white head; lots of lacing. The smell struck me as akin to a fizzy Euro lager at first, as I caught mostly light lemon. It sort of grew on me, however, as I picked up cinnamon, wheat, and some berry goodness around the edges.

Taste was different from the typical wit. While the standard bit of orange, coriander, and a really solid grain flavor are there, the cranberry, though not overpowering, makes itself known in the finish. I'm not sure if this is a good thing; the cranberry is unique, but I found myself wanting more of the usual wit taste. Body is quite thin, bordering on watery, but fairly crisp, and Cranberry Wit comes through as a pretty refreshing, if not delicious beer. (761 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -18.7%

Poured a murky medium copper hue with a two finger frothy white head. There was good retention and very good lacing.

The smell featured a light cranberry essence and what reminds me of champagne yeast.

The taste consisted of light tartness with a heavy sweetness and a touch of spice. Moderate breadiness as well. The flavors seemed a bit muddled, but this is an aged sample.

The mouthfeel was heavy for the style.

Overall not a very enjoyable brew. (453 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my beer mug.

A- Longshot Cranberry Wit pours a pretty average looking hazy orange, a medium sized white head. Looks like a wit to me.

S- Typical wit spices, wheat and a sweetness that I probably would not have pegged as cranberry.

T- Again a pretty typical wit flavors with some subtle sweet cranberry in the background.

M- Medium bodied, a good amount of carbonation. Borderline refreshing.

D- I don't want another.

Overall considering that I don't really like wits or fruit beers the fact that I can tolerate this brew probably means its pretty decent, it's just not for me. (619 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -17.9%

Part of the Longshot 6-pack.Had to happen. only 4 of my last 50 reviews are a B or lower.

A: Hazy orange with a whit head with good retention and decent lacework

S: The spicy combination of the coriander, pepper and the cranberry just isn't working for me. It's making me think of another rather revolting beer I had. Mildly wheaty.

T: This beer is a bit of a cop out. The base wit is pretty good, with the coriander and orange peel being at levels I like, but the addition of cranberry detracts and seriously, lending no tartness but just some weird flavor. Finishes moderately dry with some cranberry flavor

M: Not dry enough, with good carbonation and a medium-light body

D: Nope, no thanks (699 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -17.6%

I will keep this one short.

I made a spicy Rigatoni for dinner and was trying to find a nice beer to go along with it. I figured I would give the Cranberry Wit a shot. Looks okay after the pour. I took one sip and wondered if this was the Blackberry Witbier with the wrong label. I quickly passed it to my wife who liked it much better than I did. Oh well, at least the Double IPA and the Bock in the LongShot sixer were good... (430 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -17.3%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a hazy peach colour, with a medium white head with solid retention, excellent lace.

S: Mild cranberry, honey.

T: Lightly artifical-tasting/medicinal cranberry, wheat berries, and notes of mandarin orange and grains of paradise in the finish.

M: Refreshing, light-bodied, spritzy carbonation, I liked this aspect.

D: Drinkability suffers because the artificial fruit flavour is off-putting, thought it's light enough to not ruin the beer unlike Cherry Wheat. This could be interesting if they used real cranberries, but I assume it would be cost prohibitive. (586 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -16.5%

A: Dark, cloudy yellow/orange coloring. Good initial head for a wit. Head disappears towards the end of the glass leaving decent lacing.

S: Wheat, sugars, and that distinct 'grains of paradise' scent. Not good at all.

T: I have to say I am not a fan of grains of paradise when they are overused, and this is definitely the case in this beer. Otherwise, lots of wheat with just a hint of cranberry. The cranberry is done well as it cancels out the initial sweetness that hits the palate. Some earthy notes rise towards the end, lingering in the aftertaste.

M: Nice. Light and crisp just like a wheat beer should be.

D: Definitely sessionable, however, the earthy, almost bitter notes at the end may turn some people off.

More complex than I expected. An interesting beverage. My only problem with this beer was the over-abundance of grains of paradise. Perhaps I'm over sensitive to these particular grains, but I've noticed this in other beers and just can't stand it. (974 characters)

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a weizen glass. The best before date was: Sept 09. Pleasantly hazy golden/green/amber body with a mild head. This settled to an off-white cap.

The smell was earthy and fruity. Peppery. Spices.

Taste was tart and drying. Fruits and hops bitterness appear after the first wave. Spices and hints of orange peel were evident but not too pushy. I generally don't favor this style but the cranberry tartness lends a nice element to this one. I was a bit concerned but I do like it.

Mouthfeel was medium to light in body with moderate carbonation. (581 characters)

The appearance of this beer has kind of a pink hue to it, to be expected from the cranberries, and a haze. A white head poured from the bottle, but didn't stay long. Smelled mostly of fruit with a little spicy note. The taste is pretty middle of the road, if I didn't know what fruit was in the beer I'm not sure I could tell you what it was so the fruit isn't totally dominating the beer, but also the backbone of the beer isn't really coming through either. Mouthfeel is light and the drinkability is ok, there isn't any of flavors for the style. (548 characters)

Pours a hazy orange color. Nice white head. Aroma is rather plain. Faint hint of fruit... cranberry maybey only because that's what the bottle says. Slight malt aroma as well. Taste is a bit funky to me. Kinda reminds me od a medicine like fruitiness. The combination of cranberry and Belgian wit just doesn't impress me.

An OK tasting beer. Not something that I would buy again. Me personally... I don't think this is deserving of a "longshot". It's average at best. Still worth a try though. (494 characters)

Longshot Cranberry Wit pours orange with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. The aroma mostly smells like wheat, although there is a touch of tartness that I can't quite place. The flavor hits first with tart fruit and a touch of cinnamon? Otherwise it tastes like wheat. I sure wouldn't have picked this one to win a national homebrew competition. (359 characters)

12oz bottle obtained at Hannaford. Pours a murky amber-yellow body with an inch of slowly-dissipating off-white head. Smells faintly fruity, slightly nutty and pithy... Tastes fruity, pithy, with some lemon, lime, and nut notes. Fairly light in body with ample carbonation. Honestly, not that impressed. Shooting for a witbier, cranberry fruit beer, and kind of misses the mark on both IMO. It doesn't taste that fruity and it doesn't taste much like a witbier. I mean, it's not horrible, and I was able to finish it, but it didn't do much for me. (547 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -15.9%

A--Very murky yellow/copper with a 2 finger light pink head that sticks around for a bit

S--Fairly empty nose, faint fake fruit smell but thats about it

T--This was not terrible, but there is an almost metallic off-putting taste present. The cranberries stick to the background

M--Normal for the style

D--I just wasn't into this beer, pretty average all around IMO (368 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
LongShot Cranberry Wit from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)