Samuel Adams Imperial White - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Imperial WhiteSamuel Adams Imperial White

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-16-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Imperial White Alström Bros

An Absolutely amazing Imperial! So sad its be discontinued, but luckily I bought out the store for years to come. This beer is great off the shelf, and astonishing in taste years later. I have four year old bottles I open for very special occasions and the taste is similar to a fine port wine. in about 10 years when my stock is empty I will be upset with Sam Adams for their mistakable choice of discontinuing it.

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

This is definitely not for the faint of heart. If your norm is along the lines of Bud Light or if you consider Corona adventurous you may as well hang it up. This beer is fantastic for those of us who appreciate a kick in the ass. A great tasting beer, but definitely catches up to you quick. A bold flavor, but great nonetheless. Fair warning is to drink it cold and finish it while it's cold. It is substantially intolerable when warm in my opinion. Definitely a good beer overall.

4.8/5  rDev +39.1%

I just tried one of these, and I'm almost speechless. I really didn't know what to expect (a witbier weighing in at over 10% is just insane) but I was very pleasantly surprised. It tastes somewhat like a wit, but there's a heavy dose of banana taste and aroma, making it taste almost like a tripel. But right on the heels of that we find a really strong malt flavor more reminiscent of a dubbel. At the end its' a glorious combination of dubbel, tripel and wit. Tastes strong, alcohol-wise, but I would never peg it at 10%. Maybe 7. The drinkability, coupled with the high alcohol content, make this a very dangerous beer. Mouthfeel is heavy for a wit, but that is to be expected. I thought it was just about right.

If you are a fan of belgian ales, this one is definitely worth a try. I am going to try to track down some more this weekend!

4.78/5  rDev +38.6%

This beer was darker than I expected. Since my color vision is off, I will not attempt to describe the color.

The smell had a large presence of banana overtones. The smell had suggestions of sweetness. Hop aroma was not present. Alcohol smell was not present.

The taste was EXCELLENT. I generally like highly hopped ales, but this had a pleasing sweet, but not overly sweet, finish. I could not taste any alcohol, but after 2 bottles, my head was quickly reminded about the 10.3 ABV.

Head retention was poor and the laced sides receded quickly.

Overall, this is a great brew....I will buy more.

4.68/5  rDev +35.7%

very tight-packed head that settles over time and leaves a unique foamy sheet of lacing on this tulip. deep opaque orange-apricot color.

light wispy peachy nose. very light, but delicate as it should be.

what a silky, BOLD palate bomber! getting more of a fermented peach note that is embedded in the seamless mouhtfeel. thick and extremely smooth. not sure if the boldness is the alcohol or the flavor. that's how well crafted this is. very surprising. the carbonation is bristling but in much the same way the appearance is...tightly packed. very much a CRAFT brew.

very very drinkable. which is scary at 10%+abv...

haven't tried the other imperial series offerings, but this one makes me ignore the naysayers and take a gander.

4.68/5  rDev +35.7%

Poured chilled in ale glass, plus I've had it aged (2+ years) served at room temp and poured in large shot glasses (split among friends)

A: billowy dark yellow with pronounced head; great carb action; decent lacing
S: Buoyant orange and honey
T: very complex flavor; sweet and intense; very malty, low on the hops; high ABV shines through; in the young version you'll find the spice and orange other reviewers note. But in the aged version something tremendously wonderful happens -- a heavy currant, prune flavor emerges; complex fig flavors shine through. It's not quite a barleywine at this point, but it nudges the witbier in that direction.

Overall, this is one of my favorite beers. And aging it is an amazing thing.

4.65/5  rDev +34.8%

A: hazy orange. One-finger white head, pretty good retention. Strong lacing all around.

S: Smells wheaty immediately after opening, even from arms length. Bold citrus notes.

T: Mildly alcoholic tang. Citrus and spices. Bold and hearty. Lots of malt, wheat.

M: Nicely carbonated, slightly slick.

D: Very strong, took me a long time to drink and fully enjoy it. Definitely a big brew.

4.65/5  rDev +34.8%

Poured from a bottle purchased in a "Beer Geek" Sixer.

I have to say I am super impressed with the aroma of this beer. Strong scents of dried raisins and spice with hints of alcohol come through to the nose. The beer is a deep orange rusty brown color with a moderate head that dissipates quickly.

Tastes really well - I don't agree with the average rating at all. Very full bodied, not too sweet, and not too hoppy. The yeast plays a fundamental role in this beer. Strong flavors of raisins and bananas permeate this beer, with alcohol spiciness bitting in well at the end.

Overall this is amazing beer.

4.63/5  rDev +34.2%

I'm not really a Witbier fan, so I avoided this beer when first released. Curiosity eventually got the better of me and I had to try it. Pours a nice coppery color from the bottle with very little head. Similar fruity/spicy aroma common to a Witbier, but stronger. First sip and the high ABV is immediately obvious. Goes down with a nice warm burn. The hoppy bitter of a Witbier is almost completely missing. This definitely has more of a rich, malty flavor, sweet and sugary. It may have a Witbier base, but this Imperial White is something unique. Like some others have said, it seems more characteristic of a Belgian Tripel than a Witbier. If you're looking for something true to style, avoid this. If you're looking for an easy-drinking surprise in a high gravity beer, definitely give this one a try. I'll be picking up more of these.

Samuel Adams Imperial White from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)