2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Imperial White - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Imperial WhiteSamuel Adams Imperial White

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-16-2009)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Imperial White Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,195 | Reviews: 638 | Show All Ratings:
grubas

1.05/5  rDev -69.6%

This was perhaps one of the worst beers I have ever had.

The alcohol was obviously present and tasted like vodka had been added to the beer. The flavours all tasted fake and added, and I literally poured it down the drain before finishing a bottle.

12-21-2010 05:41:03 | More by grubas
ghowehattrick

1.05/5  rDev -69.6%

I admit I am still young to the craft brew scene. I hesitate to post because I recognize my palate is not as experienced and travelled as many posters here, but on the other hand I feel that my inexperience could also bring another perspective to the experience of drinking this beer. I bought this beer a) because it is made by Samuel Adams, b)I like witbiers, c) I am increasingly enjoying the taste and overall experience of higher-alcohol brews, and d) I want to begin brewing my own beer, and I would like to make witbiers, but with a little higher ABV. I thought that this beer would be a good one to see what a high-ABV witbier was like.

A: orange hue, like an IPA. cloudy glass by the end of the pour. quarter-inch head, pale yellow foam. doesn't look or sound very carbonated.

S: cold campbell's tomato soup. literally. the only way to describe this beer. I didn't see any other similar posts regarding this smell, so is it possible I had a bad bottle? not sure, considering the label read that it can be aged to produce deeper flavors. I've never smelled anything close to this in any other beer.

T:alcohol, alcohol, alcohol. the bready taste is in constant tag-team mode with the alcohol. nothing like any witbier I've tasted. I realize it is an imperial, but wow. warms like a red wine after a few swallows.

M: very low carbonation, reminded me of a standard porter, but much less foamy texture. The drink warms up quickly inside the mouth with a few swirls. Any carbonation dissipates quickly.

O: Well, I doubt I will revisit this beer. Two swallows and it was a drain pour. I tried to put myself in someone else's shoes drinking this, wondering how anyone could possibly enjoy drinking this. The smell will be the thing I remember most about this beer. Nothing else in the smell came close to smelling like beer I know of. I can't imagine my palate developing to the point of appreciating this beer one day.

11-23-2011 17:10:00 | More by ghowehattrick
Muther

1.15/5  rDev -66.7%

I'm a huge fan of witbiers and this is not a witbier by any stretch of the imagination.

This is just their horrible Boston Lager with a different label.
Taste, smells, and looks exactly like Boston Lager.

Sam Adams Boston Lager has always tasted salty and overpowering to me, it's never been a drinkable beer for me, but if you happen to like it, save your money buying this overpriced version. There's nothing special here.

02-04-2011 15:25:20 | More by Muther
beersteak

Montana

1.2/5  rDev -65.2%

How anyone can drink this beer en masse is beyond me. There is definitely some interesting stuff going on. It's a heavy beer with some nice soft, woody notes. Vanilla and a little spice. But, the overwhelming aspect of this brew is the alcohol. Like, as in the isopropyl alcohol type. Not good at all. Completely different from the other imperials. The Double Bock is great. Stout is ok too. Steer clear of this one IMO.

Just read LiquidBread's review. Looks like I'm not the only one. Ew!

10-08-2010 22:17:04 | More by beersteak
TopperXiChiPsi

1.27/5  rDev -63.2%

This is the first time that I have ever been disappointed by the Samuel Adams brewery. I bought this beer as a single bottle from an excellent beer shop, thinking I was getting a great taste of a beer I'd come to love over the coming years. I was sorely mistaken.

The color was great. It was darker than I expected, but I assumed that it's status as an "Imperial Witbier" would explain that. Actually drinking it, however, proved to be immensely difficult.

The first sip took me by complete surprise. I nearly spat out the vile concoction upon feeling the oily liquid slide down my throat. It burned a little, likely due to its 10.3% abv content. Simply put, it tasted like poison. I gagged each successive time I tried to drink it, and poured it down the drain after 3 sips.

I'm not someone afraid of strong beers. Frankly, I'll drink Camo, but I won't touch this stuff ever again. Don't buy this, and send the brewery a letter telling them how poorly they've done. Thanks,

TopperXCP

05-18-2009 20:11:43 | More by TopperXiChiPsi
BeerBelcher

1.43/5  rDev -58.6%

I have an open mind towards beer, but find this one to be repulsive. A witbier is a delicate, light, refreshing thing - this one is none of those. This beer is overpowering, with a sweet rotting graininess in place of the pleasant wheatiness and citrus notes I expected. I get that this is supposed to have all those attributes we like about witbiers just amplified, but this is not that to me...I am not finding those flavors to be louder, I am finding them to also be completely distorted into off-notes I don't care for. Combine that with a lot of booziness (which I'm OK with if the beer is giving me something else to hang in there for), and the flavor of this beer is a miss for me. Other notes: the color is a hazy orange with medium head formation, and the aroma is an isoamyl acetate warning of things to come. This is a drain pour.

I would suggest avoiding this one. Thanks to JaBier for providing this one, even though I did not enjoy it.

07-16-2009 00:08:51 | More by BeerBelcher
JayS2629

Alabama

1.45/5  rDev -58%

Terrible. First beer I've graded this low that wasn't skunky. I love Sam Adams. This beer is an exception. This could be the reason it is the only imperial wheat beer on the market.

A- Pretty enough. Cloudy thick copper, grainy, creamy white head and nice lace.

S- Citrus is strong, bitter grapefruit and lemon, orange, banana, cloves, and metallic tones. Boozy aroma dominant too.

T- Wow! Boozy and medicinal. metallic tinges. Strong bitter citrus. Orange,lemon, grapefruit. Tart, bitter, and full of funk. Strong cloves, and hint of banana in the medicinal boozy aftertaste. Nasty.

M- Thick and grainy

D- Awful, thick and medicinal with a booze burn.

01-07-2011 19:03:04 | More by JayS2629
SirSketch

1.45/5  rDev -58%

A - Ivory colored head with a soda-pop fizz consistency that dissipates quickly. Ripe orange color and about as murky as beer gets.

S - Quite citrusy and a boatload of tangy white grapefruit character. Lots of alcohol, too, similar to a peach liquor.

T - Tons of malt character, but honestly too much ethanol flavor to concentrate on anything else. Way too sweet for any type of witbier. Hot fermentation combined with spices give this beer a grape Flintstones vitamin flavor.

M - Thick as cough syrup and no carbonation to help.

O - The worst offering from Sam Adams I've had to date. Much too hot and sweet without any complexity and completely overwhelming. Avoid!

07-27-2011 01:58:12 | More by SirSketch
Agold

1.48/5  rDev -57.1%

This beer is a burnt orange color (odd for a WHITE, but whatever) with a small dense creamy head with little floaties. It smells of orange peels and liquor. It is cloyingly sweet, and you can definitely taste the spices that they use. There is also a ton of alcohol. It has a bit of a heavy mouthfeel and low carbonation. This is not really a beer that i would like to drink that often, but I am glad i tried it.

Edit: So I had one bottle of this left and tried to drink it again. It was a drainpour about 3 sips into it. There were disgusting floaty things in there which reminded me of diluted vomit, especially since it was thick and uncarbonated. It smelled of rancid candied orange peel. It tasted as one would expect a vomitey rancid sweet orange beer to taste, and is completely undrinkable. Wow. Seriously avoid this one. (Numbers are from first review, thought it was more fair than the bottle I laid down for a bit, hoping it would improve)

05-04-2010 06:09:58 | More by Agold
nlmartin

1.63/5  rDev -52.8%

This beer was served chilled in an Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: I got to say this is the highlight of this beer. The beer pours a nearly peach coloration. The head is big thick and biege. Good retention is noted. Very nice lacing remains behind on my glass.

Smell: The beers aroma is dominated by bannana. An undertone of cloves and bubble gum is noted. The alcohol is very boozey.

Taste: Dam is this boozey. Dam is this sweet!... The beers flavor is dominated by super cloying sweet bananas.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer is a booze laden syrup. Honestly this beer is awful!... Sometimes you have to strike out to hit a home run. This was definately an example of swinging for the fences and striking out.

04-08-2009 23:54:56 | More by nlmartin
ShroudofTuring

1.68/5  rDev -51.3%

I was rather excited to try this beer, since I'm a fan of the wit style.

I found the color a bit perplexing, since it seemed to be a little dark for the style, but the pour (from a bottle into a glass) left a nice smooth (if fleeting) head, coupled with a nice, spicy aroma.

However, once it finally got into my mouth, I very nearly spit it out, because the flavor came on strong and kept coming. The flavors of orange, coriander, and alcohol pretty much beat everything else into submission, which disappointed me, since I think one of the best things about the wit style is the enormous complexity of flavor that you can get. Also, the beer seemed to be overly sweet, which detracted from the experience and left it tasting rather sickly once the full flavor presented itself. The finish lasted for a long while, which ordinarily would have been nice, but the sweetness kept it from being truly enjoyable.

The mouthfeel was rather oily, which again detracted from the overall experience.

Overall, I'd say it would be best to pass on this beer. The packaging is beautiful, but Samuel Adams needs to go back to the drawing board on this one. With some tweaking, and dialing back some of the flavor elements, particularly the overpowering sweetness, this could probably be a good beer.

05-23-2009 04:16:39 | More by ShroudofTuring
bubseymour

Maryland

1.73/5  rDev -49.9%

Appearance - Horrible looking beer. I only didn't give it a 1 because it produced a 2 finger head that faded fast. Looks like really murky iced tea without any ice.

Smell - sweet liquor smell. not very pleasing at all

Taste - Got to be one of the most disgusting beers I've ever sampled. Flat, warm & boozy and tastes like cough syrup. Horrendous beer.

Mouthfeel - warm, buttery and flat.

Overall - this is one awful beer. I usually am kind to most beers but this one has to the least pleasant beers I've ever sampled. I guess this would be good if you had a cold and were out of Nyquil..but I tried 4-5 sips (hoping it would get better) but it did not. Drain poured after 5 sips.

09-25-2011 23:56:19 | More by bubseymour
vicg12

1.75/5  rDev -49.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1

The smell was interesting, I was initially intrigued. Really is a beautiful beer, loved watching it while it filled up my glass, like bubbly golden straw. Really large head. But, right when it enters your mouth you are just struck with a strong pungent burst, it discourages you from taking a large sip, I powered through and was not rewarded. It is really just disgusting. Too many flavors buying for your attention, and they are like steam rollers on your taste buds, they don’t get along. Save your money and don’t buy this beer, it’s only good to look at. I ended up using 75% of the 24 oz bottle for cooking because I couldn’t handle anymore awfulness. I really don't understand how anyone could enjoy this beer.

02-22-2013 16:27:39 | More by vicg12
rontoolsie

Tennessee

1.78/5  rDev -48.4%

No need to describe the appearance in detail...this has been done many times above. I was however surprised that it had a dirty brown color instead of a hazy straw-colored one that I typically associate with witbiers.

The smell was that of rotting fruit. Really.

The taste was very sweet and syrupy, sort of like fermented corn syrup- and very reminiscent of (much) cheaper high gravity malt liquors like Steel Reserve or Earthquake.

In spite of paying a premium price of it at the restaurant, I chose to have left 2/3 of it in the glass undrunk.

I had been tempted to try out the Sam Adams Wee Heavy, but now I fear it too may be victim to the same unfortunate tastes.

08-22-2011 14:56:48 | More by rontoolsie
Overlord

1.8/5  rDev -47.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Ugh. Not very good. At all.

Pours a dark amber orange. Small white foam crust. Almost no head, really. A bit murky.

Smells faintly of alcohol, orange/cirtus juice, and ... alcohol. Taste is overly boozy. Really too much alcohol present for a wit. Super sweet. Damn, this is undrinkably, malty/fruit juicy sweet. Maybe a bit of lemon/orange rind, but it's one of the sweetest beers I can recall.

No real carbonation to lighten things up. The syrupiness is unpleasant. This is pretty damn bad. I think its syrupy sugariness may have given me a cavity. On the plus side, it seems to be attracting butterflies and hummingbirds. Who unfortunately become insanely drunk from the overwhelming alcohol.

03-30-2009 07:26:04 | More by Overlord
TexIndy

1.85/5  rDev -46.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. No dating info but a new release so know it's fresh. Color was a hazy orange amber. Good amount of slow moving carb - almost like it was moving thru watered down syrup. No lacing. It had an average sized fizzy white head that quicky settled into bits of film and a collar.

The aroma was awful. Mega sweet and a ton of alcohol. Got a cavity just sniffing it. Besides the orange there is none of the usual wit aromas. Even the orange was off. Instead of a nice mid level aroma enhancer this was like someone poured a bag of sugar into some OJ. The taste was even worse. Starts out with an overly sweet attack and then progresses into pure alcohol. I don't have anything against high ABV but they have their place and after trying several imperial wits the past month that place is not wits. I'm ready for this fade to die out. Wits are my favorite style but this is just crap.

Overall, a drain pour. Avoid. One and so done. Enough with the imperial wits.

03-27-2009 02:19:25 | More by TexIndy
Crosling

Colorado

1.9/5  rDev -44.9%

Bottled.. Twelve ounce. Dark orange colored ale, with a large, creamy white head. Nose is strange, very sweet, fruity, coconut, ginger-ale like, just awful. Flavor is sweet, strong & fruity, with out a lot of body or finesse. Just awful in every way.

03-16-2009 20:08:37 | More by Crosling
IMincedTheKing

1.9/5  rDev -44.9%

Pours a murky tea-brown with pathetically thin off-white head.

The nose is holiday spices--cinnamon, clove-- artificial banana, tropical fruits, and yeast. It's a big and bold smell, but my first thought was "Scary!", and I don't think I can reconcile the aroma with the style.

Puckeringly sweet fruits and yeast combined with a big, chewy mouthfeel. I don't like any of it, and the only saving grace is the slight citrus aftertaste.

This reminds me more of a tripel than a witbier, but even looking at it that way, it's still terrible.

04-21-2009 03:48:06 | More by IMincedTheKing
perrymarcus

1.98/5  rDev -42.6%

12oz bottle served in a goblet. pours a hazy, light amber color with a finger of head and moderate lacing. so far so good. the nose is fruity, boozy, and malty with some spice evident. taste? simply put, not good. a well-intentioned brew that falls flat. too boozy, too sweet. tried to like it, esp considering its cost, but ended up a drain pour. not for me.

07-20-2010 21:35:16 | More by perrymarcus
BostonHops

1.98/5  rDev -42.6%

12oz bottle served in goblet.

pours a hazy light amber color while yielding a good finger of head; moderate lacing, retention. decent appearance. unfortunately it's all downhill from here.

the nose tends toward the fruity side with notes of lemon and orange - also a hefty dose of booze. big malt presence with some spice evident. taste? simply put, not good. a well-intentioned brew that falls flat. too boozy, too sweet... not layered at all. tried to like it, esp considering its cost, but ended up a drain pour. not for me.

original review on: 07-20-2010 21:35:16

05-09-2012 21:56:43 | More by BostonHops
kahjdfh

I'm a big fan of Witbiers, but I was greatly disappointed in this beer. The amounts of hops in this overpowered everything about this beer. I could not taste any orange, coriander or any of the others spices associated with witbiers. I would not reccomend this beer.

08-27-2009 15:24:13 | More by kahjdfh
jsh420

bottle is over 1 year old

pours murky burnt orange? i thought this was a wit? with a 1 finger head that left spotted lacing

smells is strong booze and malt

taste is very malty bready with some fruit banana and spice - lots booze

mouthfeel is thick - low carbonation

drinkability - the age hurt this one even though the label reads age for many years - it has turned into i dont know what a strong ale i guess

04-06-2010 01:56:37 | More by jsh420
amtriska

2.03/5  rDev -41.2%

This beer had a cloying maple syrup flavor that was surprising and a bit unpleasant. I found myself wishing that I could have the other flavors that this beer offers without the sweetness. It's not without its merits -- the syrupy flavor I found so overwhelming had woody and brown-sugary notes that tasted good with salty food. It's definitely a beer that you'll want to drink with snacks, though I'm not sure if it would complement a real meal. I quickly got tired of the sheer sweetness, though, and couldn't get through an entire beer.

12-05-2009 05:54:28 | More by amtriska
DavidS88

2.05/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Wow, I hated Samuel Adams Imperial White, and that's really saying something because I have loved pretty much every Samuel Adams. The appearance was decent, a deep golden-orange reminiscent of other witbiers. There was a one finger head that died the second I took a sip and there was pretty much no lacing on the glass The smell was decent-to-bad and had a lot of citrus and banana. What killed the beer for me though was the taste. It was horrible with lots of fake fruit tastes, no wheat whatsoever, and lots of spices at the end. For me, the combination of fruits and spices just did not work. At all. Plus the beer felt really thick and foamy in your mouth which was the final nail in the coffin for me. I will say that despite the high alcohol level, I couldn't detect any, but this combination of spices and fruit just didn't work. I've had witbiers with spices, but the fruit and spices was just terrible together. A true miss from Samuel Adams, which is really sad for me because, like I said, I've liked almost all of theirs.

12-09-2012 02:22:46 | More by DavidS88
Norfolkbarry

2.08/5  rDev -39.7%

Concur with other reviewers about nice appearance and mouthfeel. I drink witbeer routinely but in this case the cardamom completely overwhelms everything else. There is nothing subtle about the flavor, it is just cardamom. I found it nearly undrinkable and returned the unused bottles. Not one of their better efforts.

08-20-2012 21:21:55 | More by Norfolkbarry
Samuel Adams Imperial White from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)