Samuel Adams Imperial White - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Imperial WhiteSamuel Adams Imperial White

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-16-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Imperial White Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1176-1200 | 1201-1225 | 1226-1250  | next › last »
3.85/5  rDev +11.6%

Served in a Duvel Tulip glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - An unexpected cloudy orange color, very little head.

S - Very strong oak, almost whiskey-like aroma backed up by citrus and spice

T - My first few sips yielded a vicious alcohol attack on my taste buds, but i let it sit for a minute to open up and warm up a tad, and I was rewarded with an intriguing malty sweetness, once again backed up with orange and coriander.

M - Feels almost syrupy on the tongue, yet still smooth, with slightly less carbonation than the norm.

D - 10.3% ABV does not a repeat drinking beer make. Add that to its consistency, and this is not one you want to drink several of in a sitting. You'll easily finish the bottle, but you won't want another.

Overall - A unique entry into the world of Witbiers. If Blue Moon is for the wheat neophyte, this one's for the witbier aficionado looking for a challenge. I'm probably going to cellar the rest of the bottles that i have...well, after I go lie down for a bit.

DannyS, Feb 21, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +11.6%

The store I go to just got the Imperial Series in yesterday.

A: Darker then I expected for a Wit, pours a dark orange but not quite an amber color with a bit of cloudiness. One finger of head that dissipated quickly.

S: Smells of sweetness, malt, a hint of coriander and alcohol.

T: Malt/sweetness but well balanced for the ABV. They hide the alcohol well for a 10.3% but you still are able to taste it. Able to get a touch of the coriander.

M: Medium body and very smooth with little to medium dryness.

D: This beer was actually much sweeter then I expected and I am going to let two of them mature for a while before I try them again. This is a Witbier and I did not grasp much of the Witbier in it. I would have liked to see more taste of coriander in the beer but overall a decent beer.

TripleTwenty, Feb 20, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

(A) Redish orange color. Hazy with visible carbonation. Pours with a mellow head of foam then settles quickly.
(S) Wheaty aroma, some spice and sweet notes.
(T) Sweet malt with a wheat aftertaste. Hints of dried cherries.
(M) Thick, syrupy feel... like port or cough medicine.
(D) Drink it slow, and it will grow on you.

u2carew, Feb 18, 2009
3.45/5  rDev 0%

A - Pours a cloudy copper with a thin off-white head that dissipates fairly quickly. It still manages to leave a small amount of lacing though.

S - Kinda boozy, though there's plenty of citrus (orange) and coriander in there, with some spice to mix things up a bit.

T - Quite a bit more boozy than the smell. Lots of alcohol on the palate. It's kinda distracting. The citrus, coriander, and spice still come through though.

M - Full-bodied, kinda creamy, and somewhat dry in the finish. Carbonation does a good job of keeping if from being too rich.

D - Not the best double-white I've had, but it's easy enough to drink. The alcohol is fairly obvious on the palate, but it doesn't creep up on you very much.

pwsoldier, Feb 17, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -11.6%

12 oz bottle, poured into a Tulip. Bottle says abv 10.3%, no freshness date.

I was thinking Wit and this beer pours on the amber side of orange with a nice but fairly quickly receding head. Looked for some effervescence and there was very little even with nucleation points in glass.

The aroma is somewhat syrupy and spicy, very much grains of paradise and some coriander character, some slight peppery notes. Very boozy and floral like alcohol too, and some slightly fusel like notes.

Taste is very messy and thick, too much going on with spices and the body is very cloying. Some fusels mix in with this to make it hard to drink.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and somewhat oily like a good wit but with almost too much depth.

Not something I could really see seeking out often, this was an interesting beer to mix into their new imperial series but it lacks the character and dimension of a great beer.

PBoegel, Feb 16, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -15.1%

Now, I'm a big fan of witbiers. And this ain't your Daddy's witbier, imperial or otherwise.

Clear orangey brass with a tight head. And a malty almost doppelbock like aroma leaps from the glass.

At first taste there was a cider like quality to it ...and quite big-bodied for the style. I'm thinking doppelbock with a heavy twist of unidentified spiciness.

I'll tell you what it puts me in the mind of. Several years ago now, Southampton Publick House fucked up a batch or two of it's renowned Grand Cru; after a bit of aging, some yeast issues resulted in an undesirable apple quality that was very distracting. And here it is again in this beer...and it is still quite undesirable to this reviewer.

I'm not sure what the intention was here. For me, the balance of the four-pack will find it's calling in the kitchen as a deglazer. There, it just may shine.

If you want an "Imperial White" experience, look to Southampton Double White...or, better still, Allagash Fluxus 2008.

Cheers...

markman, Feb 15, 2009

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip. Came out of the bottle a grapefruit color, settling in the glass a hazy brown. Okay retention on a white head, lacing was spotty. Aromas are similar to the SA heffy pepper, lemon grass, and banana peel.

Flavors are heavier than I anticipated. Lots of banana, some spiciness, a bit of straw, rounded out with some alcohol. Alcohol is hidden until the end, and then its flavors really take over the mouth. Mouthfeel is medium, smooth.

Lots of alcohol flavor that just isn't balanced out for a style like this. Certainly different, but not very refreshing. Probably won't seek this out again.

bigkahunas4, Feb 14, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +13%

Yes... an Imperial White....at 10% + abv. ... awesome..thank you Jimbo

A - pours a semi transparent golden color. Not as cloudy as I would expect for this style. about 3-4 inches of white head that fluffs up nicely.

S - the smell is full of butterscotch...caramelized banana...spices (nutmeg...hint of clove....allspice)...some alcohol

T- Sweet butterscotch and caramel notes with a whole bunch of spices. like the aroma... caramelized banana and brown sugar linger for a while with a finish of chewy glutenous bread, clove, and some alcohol. Theres something salty about this in the end I can't quite figure it out (help?)

M- The mouthfeel is big....reallly big. Very sticky and full bodied. This will leave its mark on your palate for a long time, but its not too syrupy or overbearing.

D - I mean, your not going to knock this back like the spring white ale or a blue moon, but....given the ABV this baby is very easy to drink. Still, I don't see myself getting through a 4 pack of these in a sitting.

Truly a unique beer...like nothing i have ever had. Awesome addition for Sam Adams....a real redeemer for not making the coffee stout.

JordanChabot, Feb 14, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +27%

An imperial white ale? I am intrigued.

Appearance:
A murky copper color that looks less bright than I had expected. Alot of white ales Ive had are pretty orange looking, but this one is darker. Almost a dirty cider color. Very cloudy. Nice thick cup cake head that wouldnt stop growing. It was thick and dense, like frosting. As it receded it left lacing, and never truly cleared the beer's surface.

Smell:
Almost a mix of papya/mango/spiced rum. There is alot of fruit mated with a strong background of sweet, spicey malts. I was expecting the 10% to burn through but I am not picking up much alcohol sizzle. Well perhaps a bit on the deep nose pulls, but it is rather subtle.

Taste:
Mmm, really tastey. The sweet/spice is balanced with a thick flabby body so as not to be over the top. A bit of banana ester. The alchohol content is awesome in that it perfectly matches the sweetness and makes the brew both thick but palate cleansing. Sweetness skunk stripes down the tongue, while the back sides pings some bitter. A mild throb remains as the alcohol works the gums. Little to no aftertaste. I am a big fan, not the light fruit flavor I was expecting.

Moutful:
Feels fat in the mouth, carbonation getting pretty foamy during exploration. The bubbles are creamy, and the overall consistency is thick. The beer pulls in allakazam though, the thickness is quick sizzled away by the alcohol leaving a lightness that leaves you ready for more. Really nice.

Drinkability:
As I got to know this beer more, I decided it was much more drinkable than I originally thought. It has a ton of flavor, but isn't excess in its impact on the pallate and gut. I've let it sit a bit and open up, and it still retains its initial enjoyment on each pull. I think it would be a knockout with hot chinese orange chicken.

LiquorLockerVP, Feb 14, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +2.3%

Beer poured a semi hazy light brown with about 2 fingers worth of head (aggressive pour) which dissipated quickly. Pretty good lacing

The nose of this beer has a great deal of fruit and alcohol. The alcohol can actually be overwhelming if you really go in for a good sniff.

The taste of this beer is very orangey, the coriander/spice peeks through and there is a definite strong presence of alcohol in the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is a bit strange for me. If you think of other Witbiers like Blue Moon, Hoegarden etc they're all very refreshing and hit the spot on a warm day... I'm not sure I can see myself being refreshed with this beer due to the sheer alcohol taste. When you give this beer a try, exhale through your nose a second after swallowing, the alcohol for me carried right through my nostrils and actually stung a little bit.

For a fan of the imperial heavy-hitters, I'd say give it a shot because its still an interesting brew. However dont expect to chug it down like a Hoegarden or you might get yourself in trouble.

xxHelderxx, Feb 12, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +14.5%

A: Poured a deep golden almost honey like color. The white head quickly retreated to the rim of my tulip. There is some lacing and good retention of the little bit of head there is.

S: Tons of honey and sweetness with a hint of booze in the back. A touch of coriander and orange peel as well. By far the booziest smelling wit ever.

T: The orange peel is quite up front. Again a ton of sweetness. Maybe they used a little bit of honey to boost the ABV? It is super sweet. Booze runs throughout and it meshes with the sweetness in the finish.

M: For a "wit: this is super thick. Syrupy.

D: At 10.3% I would almost call this more of a wheatwine hybrid. It is boozy. I am enjoying it but the point of a wit is to sit on a hot day and have a few. Maybe they should market this as a winter wit.

aerozeppl, Feb 11, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance: It's a light golden brown color with a lot of haze clouding the scene. It's topped with a tad off-white head that's about a finger and a half deep. It dissipated quickly and left a light, sticky coat of lace clinging to the glass.

Smell: The nose is lacking in strength. A little too much, truth be told. It is sweet and very sugary smelling. It features some citrus orange and lemon notes. Clove, orange peel and coriander spices are apparent. Smells earthy and grainy. Alcohol is noted. It seems pretty well blended for the abv. My bottle indicates it's 10.3%. A little more strength would go a long way here.

Taste: It's indeed very sweet and sugary. Almost too sweet. The spices are interesting in that they don't come across nearly as strong here. Sure, there's some evidence of clove, coriander, and orange peel, but it's far from prevalent. The wheat certainly gives it a grainy/earthy flavor. There's some light floral hops that emerge. They're very faint. Alcohol is very prevalent and runs a little too hot. The nose masked it pretty well, but that's not the case here. Finishes sweet and boozy.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It features a medium body, that borders thick. It's relatively smooth, but is hindered a little by high carbonation. Drinkability is above average, but not quite good. It's too hot, boozy, and abv at 10.3% limits it.

Imperial White's an intriguing beer. It's not bad, but it's far from great. The biggest problem is the alcohol. It's far too prevalent and too hot. If that could be worked out, it'd be dramatically improved. Perhaps the alcohol just needs to be 2% lower. It needs some work to say the least. But, it's definitely worth checking out.

prototypic, Feb 10, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +22.3%

I grabbed a four back of this upon seeing it in the Beer Store beer cooler. I poured a bottle into a tulip glass. Maybe not the right glass, but I like that glass. The appearance is a dark orange and very cloudy. An aggressive pour leaves a half inch head that settle quickly, leaving a ring and some light foam behind. Some light lacing after the first sip. Smells wheaty and spicy with a noticable citrus aroma. Kind of a mild aroma, but well balanced. The taste starts out somewhat sweet, but the spicyness follows quickly, fading to a bitterness. Kind of a tangy bite to it. A very good tasting beer. Medium body and slightly sticky. Mild carbonation. This is real easy to drink. Kind of hard to believe this is 9%. I don't sense it at all. Overall this is a real nice beer that I'm sure I'll buy again.

mtbbaboon, Feb 10, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -6.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a bavarian pilsner.

A - cloudy orange-copper color. 2.5cm of head disappeared very quickly.

S - bananas, oranges, spice, wheat. finally, Sam Adams has paid attention to the aroma part of their beers.

T - tangy wheat, sweet malt, very a very dry, slightly hoppy, citrusy finish. there was a lot of spice in the finish too. I found it to be too much.

M - good.

D - I'm not really a fan of witbiers. This is only the third that I've had I believe. It's much better than SA White Ale, but I find this a tad on the spicy side.

bowersdm, Feb 09, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +29.6%

A - poured a misty dark gold with very little head

S - Strong aromas of spice, fruit and malt

T - Malty, orange. Fairly balanced with an edge toward the sweet side. Less spice on the palate than the nose.

M - Poured thick, and had a full feel to it. Felt creamy on the finish.

D - Very drinkable. That combined with the high ABV makes it a beer to be careful with.

I was looking forward to checking this out because while I love the Double Bock, I've always been a little underwhelmed by the many of the other offerings. This did not disappoint. Will have again soon.

Drobinator, Feb 07, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +5.8%

Of the 3 SA Imperials recently released, this one intrigued me the most. Pours a nutty dark golden brown, like a dark tripel or a light weizenbock. Not much of a head to be seen. Smells like a very spicey weizenbock, there's evidence of plum, or cherry to be had. Excellent aroma.

First impression: This doesn't hide the alcohol too well. Every sip is big and boozey. Big malt tastes with some dried fruit. A little bit of hops, in line with the rest of SA's beers. It also has a very medicinal cloying sense to it. The spicing isn't so detectable in the flavor as in the nose. Mouthfeel is big and coating, but the medicinal part of the coating detracts from it. A little too boozey to be anything more than a slow sipper right now, but this will make an interesting candidate for aging.

damienblack, Feb 06, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer came in a 4-pack, poured into my favorite pint glass. It poured a cloudy amber, with a very creamy, off-white head. The creamy foam was surprising, with a very nice mouthfeel all by itself.

Taking a deeper sip, it gives you a very pronounced boozy presence right upfront, but still manages to finish fairly dry. There is a sort of dried apricot fruity flavor in there as well.

Altogether, a very nice beer that is only limited in drinkability by its very stout ABV.

bgjohnston, Feb 06, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +29%

Initial Response:

I had this at a beer tasting. It was one of the first times they rolled out a couple of kegs of the imperial series after announcing the release so I was intent on trying each.

From the tap poured into a small tasting cup.

The color was a light yellow. Head was white and quite foamy.

The smell was strong with a fruity overtone and a bit hoppy as well.

The taste was full of great hop flavor. Fruity taste with hint of tangerine in the background (I may have placed that fruit wrong) with a malty wheat taste as well.

This beer was a bit of a surprise. I was second among the friends that tried it and my friends first tasting of it was of dissatisfaction. I greatly liked the beer and i will be picking up a four pack and will update my review when I have more of this good beer.

Duhast500, Jan 18, 2009
« first ‹ prev | 1176-1200 | 1201-1225 | 1226-1250  | next › last »
Samuel Adams Imperial White from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)