Samuel Adams Imperial Stout - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Imperial StoutSamuel Adams Imperial Stout

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: Duhast500 on 01-18-2009

Imperial in stature and bigger than your average stout. This colossal stout was inspired by those created by 18th century English brewers for the Russian Imperial Court of Catherine II. The special malts in this intense and massive brew delivers rich flavors of dark chocolate, coffee, and anise.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,472 | Reviews: 801
3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

Review from 10/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours black with a thin dark brown head and nice lacing. Dark malt and slight chocolate and coffee aroma. Dark malt, dark fruit, mild chocolate. Alcohol seeps in at the finish to diminish the other flavors, finishes somewhat dry and thin for the style. Medium body. Tastes fine, but somewhat underwhelming against other RIS.

3.53/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Obtained in my latest liquor store run kind of as a side note. Sam Adams products are typically pretty good, so I don't see why this should be any different. Side poured vigorously from a bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance - Pours jet black, just like you would expect from an imperial stout. Has a fairly flimsy one finger mocha head that dissipates quickly and leaves fair lacing. Kinda neat packaging on the bottle. Nothing real special.

Smell - There are several scents, but nothing I would get too excited about. There was certainly a booze smell, as well as a strong scent of dark fruits. I detected a bit of a medicinal, antiseptic smell in there, but I think it is just the booze. As the brew warms, the alcohol becomes more prominent.

Taste - Much like the nose, the palate is good but nothing spectacular. The dark fruits are very prominent as well as the booze, whose intensity increases as the beer warms. Char, a bit of chocolate, and char are the rest of the taste. Kind of disappointing.

Mouthfeel - A little watery for a stout. Most big imperial stouts who receive high ratings are smooth and creamy, but this is a little watery and carbonated. Its' good, but not great.

Overall - Good but not great. A little above average. Recommended to try once, but nothing spectacular. There are many other good RIS's out there to try before we reach for this one.

3.41/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

I bought a four-pack of this about 10 or 11 months ago for about $12, and wasn't at all impressed with it -- as a matter of fact, I drank half of one and drain poured, finished another, gave another to my dad, and cellared another one. Well, here I am about a year later trying to give this beer another shot.

Appearance: Pitch black with some serious chunk action going on -- so chunky, in fact, that the particles don't even move... it's almost like a sludge. Tan head goes away pretty quickly and sticks to the side of the glass as a ring. Lacing is patching and decent. Looks alright.

Smell: The soy sauce that I got the first few times I had this beer is still there, but it's FAR less pronounced. That soy sauce smell is much more woody this time around with essence of chocolate and coffee. There may be a bit of charcoal there as well, as well as alcohol.

Taste/feel: Quite a bit different than I remember it, to be honest with you. The alcohol burn is almost not there at all (VERY slight warmth on the finish, which is pleasing), and the flavor has changed quite drastically. The taste starts with that odd soy sauce flavor for a split second, then quickly goes into a woody, slightly chocolate flavor, with a lot of malty charcoal tastes as well. The alcohol in this makes the finish very dry, and the aftertaste is a very slight, heavy roasted malt flavor. Far better than I thought it was the first time I had it -- not syrupy, and easier on the palate. The feel of it is still as smooth as it was before, with a pretty low carbonation. Like I said, there's a slight warmth on the back of the throat, but you know this isn't one of those *HUGE* RIS's.

Really, I'm kind of shocked. I don't know if my preferences have changed drastically (I'm not too sure of that) or if this beer just changed quite a lot (It sure seems like it), but this beer seems far better than I thought originally. While I'm still not a BIG fan of this, it's still solid. I've had a few better RIS's at the same price or even cheaper, but this is, like most other Sam Adams beers, a respectable option.

Original 7-14-12 Review: 12oz bottle poured into Samuel Adams pint glass.

This beer was NOTHING like how I expected it, or as how others have explained it in their reviews.

First, the appearance... I'm new. This is my first RIS, so I didn't know what to expect. Pouring it into a glass, it was pitch black. After pouring, I noticed yeast particles floating around -- which I wasn't at all expecting, but they were there. I guess it's my ignorance not knowing this beer was unfiltered. Whoops. Regardless, it's a neat beer. Pitch black. As for the head, there wasn't one for me. Not any at all ... not even during the pour. And the amount of lacing was so minimal, it was almost nonexistent. (3/5)

The smell of the beer immediately threw me off. I was confused and didn't know what to think. I looked at a review on here and it hit the nail on the head for me -- SOY SAUCE. That's almost ALL I get out of this beer. It smells like woody steak sauce or soy sauce. I didn't get ANY coffee or chocolate aromatics out of this at all. (2/5)

For the taste, luckily, it didn't taste THAT much like soy sauce. It was really smooth, with a woody and hard booze taste. This didn't taste much like beer to me. Chocolate and coffee tastes may be there, but I didn't taste them too much at all, to be honest. (1.5/5)

The mouth feel is the best part of this beer. As said, really smooth, with very little carbonation... almost zero to speak of. (4/5)

Overall, I'm HUGELY disappointed by this beer. I was expecting some awesome stuff after reading that it had hints of licorice and all of that. Instead I got a beer that smelled like soy sauce, and tasted mostly like wood water. I bought a four pack, and I'm not sure how I'll finish it. Hopefully maybe the flavor will change for me the second time around, but my first impression of this one isn't good. The fact that it seemed to get more bitter with every sip towards the bottom didn't help much either. (2.5/5)

As much as I disliked Whitewater IPA by Sam Adams, I think I MAY like this one a little less. Call me crazy, but this beer just doesn't taste very good.

And the fact that I paid $3 a bottle ($12 for a four pack) here in Michigan sort of cheeses me off, but it was my own fault.

Not a fan, but I hope it grows on me.

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Great looking stout. Pours super dark with a tan head. Nice retention and lacing.

Dark fruits are most prominent on the nose. There is also licorice, chocolate, and alcohol.

Dark fruits are prominent in the taste as well. When warmed up the alcohol is quite prevalent. There is some chocolate. Leaves a roasty coffee aftertaste.

Medium body and has some alcohol dryness to it.

Saw this in the refrigerator over the 4th and had to try Sam Adams take on an imperial stout. It's traditional and reminds me of Samuel Smith, but with more alcohol.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Pretty great. Tastes much bigger than its 9% abv. And that's when sampled next to an 11.8% imperial stout in Weyerbacher "Tiny".

Sweet, roasty, huge. I'm enthrallled by the aroma of caramel and smoke. Pours a tan tiny-bubble head, w/ truly remarkable lacing.

Then there's the chocolate-mocha on the palate. Possibly over-sweet. The one drawback for me is the dominance of molasses flavor.

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours black with a nice brown head that dissipates, leaving a bit of lacing behind. Smells of roasted barley, dark chocolate and anise. The alcohol is apparent too. The taste follows the smell. There's a bit of a sweetness up front. The roasted barley comes, but then is quickly overshadowed by the anise/licorice flavor. It tastes a bit like smokey wood too, which I really like. I still don't taste any coffee in this. Maybe people just think every dark beer tastes like coffee. A bit of alcohol in the finish. Very warming. Feels rich and viscous in the mouth with light carbonation.

Samuel Adams may be one of the biggest craft breweries (probably the biggest,) but they still make some good beers. It isn't the best imperial stout in the world, but I quite enjoyed it.

4.18/5  rDev +10%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. From notes.

Woah truly pitch black body on this, with a fluffy caramel tan head that keeps a solid finger althroughout, there is even some red hints here just barely. This is very impressive.

Nose seems carbonated and fizzy, but manages some good scents. Fruity strawberry and other red berry, candied white sugar.

A mild charing roast sense hits the palate mixing with a nice sweetness. Wonderful lingering roast character, with dark bitter chocolate. Feel is slightly silky but very light bodied and noticeably fizzy.

Overall I am actually quite impressed with this one, I would easily have this again, and even take it over many other Russian Imperial Stouts as well.

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Pours pitch black color with a massive foamy 3 finger tan head that was full of bubbles and faded very slowly and left very good sticky lacing clinging to the sides.

Smells of chocolate, raisin, dark fruit, rum, coffee, molasses, maple syrup, cocoa powder, caramel, burnt wood, roasted grains and a sweetness like licorice or vanilla. The alcohol is present, but the roasted notes and chocolate malts cover it up so that the nose is enjoyable.

Tastes like it smells, with of chocolate, burnt coffee, raisin, dates or plum or some other dark fruit, rum, molasses, cocoa powder, caramel, dark fruit, burnt wood, roasted grains, herbs, pepper, light floral hops, anise and a sweetness like licorice or vanilla; the sweetness may have even resembled a liquor like Sambuca. It almost tastes like this was aged in a barrel, which gives nice boozy notes and complex, roasty flavor. Like the nose, the alcohol is present and this is a slow sipper that brings mild heat as it goes down.

Mouthfeel is creamy, thick and chewy, with very mild carbonation, a heavy body and a sweetness that makes this brew seem viscous and dense. The finish was slightly bitter and sweet at the same time.

This beer was aged a few months and mellowed a little bit as the other bottles were a little more in your face with the booze when they were fresher. Overall I liked this beer as it makes a nice nightcap and is tasty and worth a try. Only knock is that it borders on being too boozy.

3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Black color with a fingers worth of tan head. Thin Amount of clinging lace.

Smell- Bitter chocolate, char and coffee.

Taste- Dark roasted malt, chocolate and a bit of char. Those flavors fade quickly and leave a bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Full bodied and smooth with a small amount of carbonation.

Overall- I have tried many of Samuel Adams beers and many are quite enjoyable. But I've never been impressed with any of their Imperial Series. This is the best of that group but it still isn't that great.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

You might say that a good Imperial Stout is unworthy unless it leaves your teeth as black as the bottle it comes in - this one looks like it will do the trick. The kind of thing most people are accustomed to seeing at Starbucks, this beer pours inky black with a frothy, brownish skim over top. No sprinkles needed - the lacing is pretty enough.

Judging by smell, this offering more likely resembles the stouts of the 18th century Russian Imperial Court than most modern American renditions, the aggressiveness and decadence of which scream stars-and-stripes. This bouquet, however, is mild (relatively speaking) and quite vinous, with oxidized notes of currant and anise, not unlike an aged red wine.

Those flavors are accompanied on the palate by plum, coffee and a distinct mintiness that is certainly traced back to a generous addition of hops. Trickles of blueberry and blackstrap molasses are noted but quickly budded out by a strong licorice taste. Bitterness is substantial although each sip rewards with a roasty mocha-java finish.

The earlier comparison to a gritty, meaty red wine is apropos. Oenophiles should be at home with this beer - assuming they can bear the bitterness and roast - and are sure to appreciate the pepper-and-chocolate mouthfeel, the sensations of tar and tobacco, and the trace of herbaceousness (again, courtesy of the hops). Not to mention it should keep in the cellar; this bottle has at least a year on it and it's in tip-top drinking shape.

Samuel Adams' Imperial Stout is better compared to more traditional English examples of the RIS style, but it should still be considered a masculine, muscular monster. The tasting notes listed above speak for themselves. If you salivate at the thought of game-meat basted in coffee and roasted in the fireplace, then you may have found heaven. If not, but you think that sounds intriguing, then maybe you've found your next purchase.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

A - Very dark brown with a large mocha head. Ample clump of lacing.

S - Gamey meats, slightly smoked oak, brown sugar, raisins, soy sauce and bourbon.

T - Initially, soy sauce, oak and bourbon. Hint of gamey meat. Aftertaste is faint - lingering soy sauce and mild campfire.

M - Smooth, thick, pretty refreshing.

D - For some reason I can't explain, I'm not a huge fan. It is really a case where the some of the parts is greater than the whole. It looks good, smells good, feels good, tastes okay (maybe that is it), but I just am not thrilled about it. It's not bad, but I doubt I'll buy it again.

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Pours pitch black with two fingers of brown head. Head looks creamy and has good retention. A nice amount of lacing left behind.

S - Chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, dark fruits and a bit of anise. Also a touch of hops. Pretty nice.

T - The taste has more coffee than chocolate, moderate roastedoak malt, a subtle but noticeable hop punch, a bit of anise, raisin and faint cherry. Alcohol not noticeable at all.

M - Mouthfeel is medium, definitely not heavy, slighty bitter and dry on the finish.

O - Pretty good RIS overall, at a great price. Like a lot of Sam Adams beers, this seems a bit subdued, and so doesn't really stand out. But it is a tasty and easy drinking RIS that I could see having again.

4.24/5  rDev +11.6%

This is one of my favorite styles, but from a brewery that’s been hit-and-miss for me. Let’s see how Sam Adams does the stout thang…

A: Not a single gurgle from the bottle, even from an aggressive pour – this one’s thick. Pours as black as the ace of spades, adorned by a creamy gray-brown half-inch of foam. Not a ton of retention, as it fizzes away momentarily, but there are a few spots of lacing on the inside of the glass.

S: Whoa, that’s great! Hits immediately with bold dark chocolate, anise, thick roasts, caramel, and vanilla marshmallow – more like a s’more than any stout I’ve had in a long time. I love the way it hits with those deep, roasty sugars, especially since it’s backed up by rich hickory and honey (like a glazed ham, but much more appetizing in a beer than it sounds). Picked up by a spicy hit of alcohol, woody and peppery, with a cinnamon touch. Excellent, excellent character.

T: Bold, woody tastes everywhere – bitter and roasty. Starts out strong with a mouthful of oaky char, popping with hints of burnt coffee and salty, piney hops. Big, chewy barley is smooth, tasting like caramel, anise, vanilla, honey, and chocolate fondue, all under a light note of raisin and molasses. And just in case you weren’t sure that it was a big beer, there’s that familiar whiskey warmth that it leaves on the way out, woody and peppery. Finishes very lightly, with only a mild taste of wet oak and dry roasts to remember it by.

M: Smooth and rich, without any thinness whatsoever. There’s just a tickle of carbonation every once in a while, but it’s only a passing phase to the thickness of the body.

O: Like the Double Bock, this member of the Sam Adams Imperial Series could be considered a standard for the style. Absolutely wonderful, and for only $2 a bottle or so, I have a feeling I’ll be buying this one again and again.

The Sam Adams Imperial line served as my intro to craft beers, microbrews, and non-BMC beers. That said, the first three "cool" beers I had were Sam Adams' Imperial White, Imperial Stout, and Double Bock.

So now, three heavy beer-drinkin' years later, I am returning to them (and a new addition since then, a Wee Heavy!) to see how they stand up to all the amazing beers I have had since...

A: Solid black pour, head forms of dark foam, and then settles into a creamy collar with some film and low-lying lace

S: roasted malty chocolate, espresso coffee

T: by-the-books RIS: roasty and chocolately up front, bitter espresso coffee in the middle, and tints of anise around the edges

M: full, rich, mellow, noce balance between bitter and sweet

O: a much better RIS than I expected - my past recollection was of a much sweeter, more syrupy brew - this was pretty on par with the other good imperial stouts I'd had.

Now that I've had the Imperial White, Double Bock, and this, I can say that Sam Adams' RIS is probably the one that held up best over time (by virtue of comparison to other world-class beers of various styles I've had since).

4.07/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pours black as tar with that kind of consistency. Some brown flecks but otherwise picth black. Nose is chocolate, raisins, licorice. Taste is a rich roasted stout. Dark fruits swirl in the mix. Thick and hearty. Bittering close that lingers. Anise. Espresso. Its all in there.

3.52/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured very nice and dark, creamy and vicious. Produced a nice tan head. Looks inviting.

The smell is surprisingly sweet. Cream and cocoa with just light roasty malts and coffee.

The taste and flavor of this RIS is nice, but not particularly complex, and finishes with a weird astringent quality I cannot place my finger on. The brew ends up being rather thin and sharp and tinny. The nice dark roast and creamy chocolate flavors do not stick around, which is a shame.

Mouthfeel is sub-par for a RIS. I wanted this beer to take it's nice flavors and last and coat my tongue and it never happened. Carbonation is fine.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer enough to have it again and it would make a nice choice for mixing it up when enjoying RIS.

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

Sample: 1 bottle 2012

A: Deep mahogany, moderate internal carbonation, pours a small medium brown head that lasts, unknown translucency

S: Cocoa, espresso, some spiciness as well, decently sweet, pretty fragrant overall, touch of alcohol

T: Quite malty, heavy coffee, hints of cocoa, almost has some light pepper elements, strong roasted taste, finishes clean

M: Smooth, but feels a bit cumbersome in the mouth, light espresso aftertaste, drying on the palate, but not extremely

O: A straightforward imperial stout, fragrant with strong flavors, just wish it was smoother and more complex

2.96/5  rDev -22.1%

23 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Guinness goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Acquired at a local Ralph's market. Reviewed live. No best before date is listed. Expectations are average; Sam Adams' beers usually hover right around a C+ for me (with a couple exceptions).

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a four finger head of great tan colour, impressive cream, good thickness, and fantastic retention considering the high ABV. Colour is a solid nontransparent opaque black. The appearance is rather impressive all around; I'm excited to try it. No yeast particles are visible (though it is nontransparent) and no bubble show is present. Decent lacing.

Sm: A moderately strong aroma of chocolate, nuts, cream, some roast, dark malts, and milk. Intriguing, but not particularly complex or subtle.

T: Creamy, with overdone milky notes and bland chocolate. Vague unlayered dark malts form the mundane foundation. Not particularly complex nor subtle. No nuts come through; perhaps I was wrong concerning the aroma. Most egregiously, roast is missing - the central element needed to make this good. Balanced decently. Built okay for the style, but lacking true quality.

Mf: Creamy, smooth, and wet. Largely downright wrong for the style; should be coarse and dry yet with pleasant creaminess. Adequately carbonated. A touch too thin for the style.

Dr: A drinkable little imperial stout from Sam Adam's. Enjoyable and pleasant for the price, but largely forgettable. A decent introduction to the style for the masses, but not an ideal choice for true fans of imperial stouts. I like it, but it's in serious need of work. To its credit, it hides its ABV very welll.

A poor candidate for aging.

Would pair decently with cheap chocolate.

C

A: Pours black with a chocolate colored head

S: Lots of caramel, chocolate, some smoke, malt, touch of coffee and anise

T: Much like the smell. Starts off with chocolate, moving into a caramel/coffee middle, and finishing with a boozy cherry sort of finish.

O: Pretty good, but I've had much better RIS.

3.58/5  rDev -5.8%

A: Pours a nice deep black with very little light coming through around the edges. A small light tan colored head. Fair amount of lacing.

S: Smells super, super roasty. Getting lots of burnt coffee, small chocolate notes, but mainly those nice charred, roasted malts

T: Follows the nose pretty well, tons of roastiness, but I'm picking up a lot of dark fruit also. Getting a lot of boozy plums and raisins. Finishes with a strong coffee burst

M: Very thick and highly carbonated. Not typical of a RIS, but it seemed to work quite well.

Overall I like this one. Not my go-to RIS, but it's a nice, widely available, affordable one. Would recommend.

3.62/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours black with a nice dark head and decent lace. On the nose there are a smattering of dark fruit, chocolate, smoke, and some roast in the background. In the mouth there is an anise note early on with the fruit coming out later with chocolate and a bit of smoke. The body is medium full with a nice finish long on roasted malt.

Overall, this is a very decent imperial stout. I would buy this again for sure. I wonder what age does to it?

4.06/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Pours a pitch black color with 2 fingers of tan head that retains for quite a while

S: Roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffee, anise, and slight alcohol all come through

T: Follows the nose. Very roasty with a semi-sweet dark chocolate start things off. This is followed by a faint coffee and anise. Finishes lightly sweet

M: Full bodied with low-moderate carbonation. Thick

O: This is one of the beers that got me into craft in the first place, so I definitely have a soft spot for it. It also helps that this is a very solid imperial stout that gets a lot of flak for no reason. Almost a must-try if you like the style

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into 13 oz tulip. Pours an opaque black, with a thick looking, sticky, one inch expresso colored head. Lacing and lots of it and wonderful retention. Smell is chocolate covered raisins, dark malts, figs, and some roasted coffee. Taste is all of that, huge blast of strong coffee in the finish. Fairly dry finish, body is on the large side, and perfect amount of life. This beer really surprised me, my taste buds have changed, years ago wasn't much of a fan.

4.75/5  rDev +25%

Poured into a snifter, pours a deep black, one finger thick khaki head. Nice retention and excellent lacing.

Smells of booze! Malt sweetness, more booze with bitter bitter dark baking chocolate.

Raisins, lots of raisins, bitter baking chocolate, black cherries in the middle, roasted malt, perhaps some light roasted malt, licorice and nice bitter finish.

Bright, thick, lingering carbonation, lively, wonderful. Pretty smooth for the abv.

This is great, you get a lot for the price point. Also nice to find a stellar RIS in a 12 oz bottle.

3.05/5  rDev -19.7%

Bottled: unk. Newer label design

Dark black with a broken mocha sheet leaving spotty lace. Smells of chocolate, black cherry, caramel, licorice and molasses with a little bit of raisin. Alcohol is the first thing I taste, then there is a good dose of toasted malts and cocoa tones with a little metallic season on the finish. There are some coffee grounds and sweet malts as well. Medium on thin for the style with a hi carb for the style. Semi dry finish. The beer is decent, and apporachable. I would recommend this as a starter Impy stout as it carries the character without spoiling the newcomer with the best aspects.

Samuel Adams Imperial Stout from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)