Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Blackberry WitbierSamuel Adams Blackberry Witbier

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-18-2009)
Reviews by bnes09:
2.95/5  rDev -10.3%

Hazy orange color and a thick white head with lines of lacing along the glass. Also, numerous flakes floating around in the liquid.

Smell is smooth and sweet with orange and berry notes. Full of fruit and citrus aromas.

Taste is a little off. It definetly has some berry flavor in there but it leans toward an artificial grape flavor. Kind of reminds me of grape soda. Also, a little too sweet for my liking. Yeast appears in the taste to mellow things out even more. Hops are barely detectable. The aftertaste lingers with an unpleasant, yeasty berry flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and has a drying effect near the end. The high level of carbonation that hits the tongue when the beer is first opened just makes me more of aware of its similarities to grape soda.

I was disappointed with this offering and definetly won't be buying it again. The flavors are just not in harmony and it makes for an unpleasant drinking experience.

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

3.28/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

I wasn't expecting a whole lot out of this brew when I tried it. I had purchased it for my wife - she tends to like the fruity foo-foo beers. It turned out to be a nice surprise.

The brew is a solid witbier at it's core with decent blackberry flavoring. Texture is typical of almost all of the Sam Adams brews but matches well with the other textures in the beer. Overall, it's a great desert beer that also works well with poultry. I don't know that I could do more than one in a sitting.

4.75/5  rDev +44.4%

4.5/5  rDev +36.8%

2.5/5  rDev -24%

3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

My wife likes thse kinds of beers, so I bought her a 6 pack. Of course, I had to try one. In a pilsner glass the beer was a hazy light orange color with a small white head. It had a sweet berry aroma. I knew it was blackberry, but I couldn't tell that from the aroma. The taste was a little more straightforward in that I could tell it was blackberry, but just barely. I think there was a little citrus also. It had a metallic feel to it. Not one I'd like to drink again; my wife got the remainder of the 6 pack.

4.63/5  rDev +40.7%

This is a very good entry from Samuel Adams. The smell is bright and in style. The taste is definitely blackberry, it's even on the palate and consistent. This is a moderate body, on the robust end for the style, slightly sweet, somewhat bitter. This is very drinkable and an enjoyable beer. This is meant to be enjoyed, appreciated, not chugged.

3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

An aggressive pour leads to caution on my part--I don't want to overflow the pint glass. The head fizzles to a bulbous top, and slowly dissipates. The immediate post-pour head atop the translucent light orange liquid looks darn good, really.

The smell is kinda wierd. It's like I smell carbon dioxide, as the fizz predominates. I smell the blackberry faintly in the background of gas particles escaping from pressure. Still, it's a witbier and, to me anyway, they smell better than your average ale.

Like most Sam Adams beers, it's better than average regarding taste as well. Ya know it's neat and all because it's fruity and tart (it is a witbier), but I can't help but wonder if somebody like DFH could do it better. Right now, I'm reminded of how much I'd like to find the Au Courant. Back to this one: I dig the fruit-feel fizz more than the taste, but it's still not "good."

The mouthfeel is neat, oddly, without really leaving me wanting more. Again, the beer's bubbly aspect consumes its being. It's like I feel the beer more than I taste it. I mean that as a totally objective comment.

Worth drinking like most beers are worth drinking. What else can I say about that?

3.93/5  rDev +19.5%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: The body has a nice slightly hazy appearance with some visible streams of carbonation and golden color. On top there is a thick and fluffy bright white head. It hangs out for a bit but soon starts to fade fast down to a small ring of lace. There is some slick lacing on the glass.

Smell: There is a nice berry aroma as soon as you open the bottle. Light bready wheat notes are mixed in as well.

Taste/Mouth Feel: The flavor has a light wheat base with light floral notes and mixed berry notes that have light sweetness. This gives way to some tart berry notes and a very slight acidity that dries out into the finish which is quick and clean. The body is light to medium with lively carbonation and texture.

Notes: Overall it's a nice light summery beer.

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

A- Pours a hazy brown orange color, with a small head that quickly recedes, and lots of carbonation rising up.

S- Sweet smell, with strong berry smell, citrus, and wheat

T- Very strong blackberry taste, not as authentic as I had hoped, kind of syrupy, and hints of cirtus and wheat

M- Pretty carbonated, smooth, and tart

D- There are much better options for a good fruit brew, but I did enjoy drinking this beer.

3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

Bottle pours a hazy honey gold body with a creamy vanilla medium sized head. Good sticky lacing.

Aroma has vague spice(pepper and coriander), toasted wheat, and twangy blackberry.

Crisp carbonation enlivens the light medium body but there's some thinness here.

Taste has a bready wheat malt twang and a hint of yeast. Slight spiciness is barely noticed and seems to be coriander. Subtle berry tartness is natural enough and not overdone.

Quite drinkable but still a bit pedestrian. Far superior to their Cherry Wheat.

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ouncer, with "purchase before" dating notched on the side of the label. Pours cloudy darker apricot, with an eggshell head and leaving mostly a thick collar and spots of blobby lacing. Obvious ripe fruit in the nose, sugary berries. Pleasant summer brew, berries prominant and carry through start to finish. MOre of a fruit beer then a wit, as I dont pick up much of anything in the way of wit characteristics. NOt a bad brew to help wash down a summer lunch, or would be an obvious choice to accompany a fruity dessert. Worth a try in warm weather.

3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

Bought in a variety six pack with Irish Red and Black Lager. Pours a cloudy golden reddish color which testifies to the presence of fruit.

Smell is overwhelmed by the blackberry.

The blackberry is so strong that it is mostly blackberry with a hint of wheat as opposed to the other way around. At the very start there is the light to medium bodied wheat flavor typical in all witbiers.

I thought the blackberry was overwhelming. A little too heavy. I was hoping more of the wit would shine through.

4.1/5  rDev +24.6%

Appearance: above average carbonation, big head, cloudy, orange-yellow in color

Smell: blackberries, and florals--perhaps lilacs or lavender

Taste: It matches the smell to a tee, with some wheat thrown in

Mouthfeel: smooth, medium body, slightly sweet with a sweeter finish

Drinkability: I like this beer. I believe it is a very drinkable wheat. This beer takes me back to a good vacation on the Olympic peninsula with lavender and blackberries all around--so there is some personal prejudice...I am glad I got a six and not just a single.

2.83/5  rDev -14%

The beer pours a hazy golden-orange color with a white head. The aroma has a little bit of wheat, but what is really standing out is a very sweet blackberry component. The flavor is also full of extremely sweet, and somewhat cloying, blackberry fruit notes. There is some wheat, and maybe a hint of coriander, but the fruit is front and center. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)