Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Blackberry WitbierSamuel Adams Blackberry Witbier

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-18-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier Alström Bros

4.99/5  rDev +51.7%

One of the best beers I've had. Can't get it around my area, though.

4.85/5  rDev +47.4%

I've been awaiting the arrival of the beer a while now and was happy to see it at my local Krogers. I'm not a big fan of their Cherry Wheat, but then again I'm not a fan of cherry anything.

Beer has a golden color when poured with a nice 1/2 head. Hint of Blackberry smell and other spices. First sip and I detected a hint of sweat blackberries followed by a tart finish. I'm really liking this brew a lot. I know many are still sore that this beat out the heavy Coffee Stout, but every since I moved to Texas with the more hot summers and chilly winters, the days of heavy beers are gone for me. This is one refreshing beer and the only fruit beer I like.

Samuel Adams has a huge winner in this brew.

4.84/5  rDev +47.1%

Pours a cloudy, golden color with little to no head. Blackberry comes through in the smell. Taste is a slightly bitter hop bite with wonderful, fresh blackberries in the mix. I am new to the Witbier style, but this seems very refreshing enough. A good one for Summer, because of those gorgeous Oregon blackberries coming through. Mouthfeel is slightly thin. Overall, a good hot weather quencher with lovely fruit notes. Makes me long to try more Witbiers.

4.78/5  rDev +45.3%

From Bottle freshness dated november 2011

First thing you notice is the strong aroma that says this is indeed blackberry flavored beer!

The color is the delightfuly hazy clouded yellow/orange of wheat ale.

There is no head in the pour and no lacing of the glass.

This is distinctly berry flavored and crisp. Perfect served ice cold on a hot Summer day. ( Hence , I suppose it's inclusion in the summer Variety pack!)

4.75/5  rDev +44.4%

4.75/5  rDev +44.4%

4.73/5  rDev +43.8%

Poured out of a bottle into a glass, this beer is a gold color that looks like honey. It smells sweet: extremely fruity with a hint of wheat. Sam Adams has a habit of getting things right when it comes to micro-brewed beer. The taste is extremely accurate. Sweet blackberries and fruit with the right amount of wheaty beer taste.

4.67/5  rDev +41.9%

Poured from a bottle it is a deep Dark cloudy yellow amber beer with lots of Lacing and a 1/2 inch head that leaves quickly.
Smells of Wheat Cereal and Blackberries a very pleasent smell.
Taste is very Creamy wheat cereal and lots of nice Blackberry hints nicely balenced with hops.
In your Mouth the flavor is very nice and very refreshing.
This is a very easy drinking Beer and Sam Adams has made a winner in this one. If you like Wit Biers give this one a try I think you will like it!

4.64/5  rDev +41%

This is a very good entry from Samuel Adams. The smell is bright and in style. The taste is definitely blackberry, it's even on the palate and consistent. This is a moderate body, on the robust end for the style, slightly sweet, somewhat bitter. This is very drinkable and an enjoyable beer. This is meant to be enjoyed, appreciated, not chugged.

4.64/5  rDev +41%

I was surprised to see a couple of really negative reviews for this beer. My fiancee bought me a six-pack of it to try since it was a Sam Adams she'd never seen before, and I've really been enjoying it. The blackberry taste is nice, and not overwhelmingly fruity. I think what I like best is that it's got a great aftertaste, and is--to me--very drinkable. I could have (and have had) several in an evening. I will definitely be buying more.

4.62/5  rDev +40.4%

Finally a fruit beer (besides Dogfish Head Berliner-Weisse Festina Peche) where the natural fruit flavor ACCENTS the nature of the beer and doesn't RUIN it. Sea Dog Brewing Co, take notes from this one.

A- Light straw color, a different shade than most wits.

S- At least the blackberries smell natural and not of nauseating syrup extract. Light malts and almost very faint hops detected, that's ok in a witbier though.

T- Bounces over the tongue from light malt crispness to blackberry goodness (I HATE fruit beers mind you) faint hop bitterness, maybe I'm wishful tasting. Not overly sweet, not really sweet at all once you roll it around.

M- Acidic and astringent, crisp, not overpowering. This beer slaps down the awful Cherry Wheat and the terrible Cranberry Lambic.

D- I could drink a 6-pack in an afternoon... That would be a waste of a great beer, however. Perfect for spring, summer, in the shower, or with a slice of lemon pie.

I'm a homebrewer and I made a Blood Orange Hefeweizen from "Extreme Brewing" by Sam C. from Dogfish Head, and this Blackberry Wit is almost as good. This is suprising, considering all of Sam Adams fruit beers have been terrible. There is indeed hope for fruited beer and this is the blueprint, Nay, the Blackberryprint. Awesome Beer, Great Job!

4.6/5  rDev +39.8%

Im usually not a big fan of lambics and ciders and fruit ales, but wow is this good! I got one of the old Sam Adams variety packs, and gave it a try, and was I ever shocked. The beer itself is light, hearty and not too fruity. The alcohol is hiden by the fruit taste and not bitter or too sweet.

4.57/5  rDev +38.9%

appearance - Poued a hazy golden color with th a nice head that settled. lots of lace onthe glas.

smell - All blackberrieshre, nice sweet smell here.

taste - Very nice beer for the hot day. Refresing inda on the Medium-kight side. Lots of berrieshere.

mouthfeel - Medium-lightm crisp and clean.

drinkability - Easy rinking beer, could drink a lot of these. Sam Adams did it again. Cheers!

Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)