Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Blackberry WitbierSamuel Adams Blackberry Witbier

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-18-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev -4.9%

My girlfriend likes this beer, and she doesn't like beer to begin with which is never a good start!

Pours a light golden color, good carbonation, head stays for a little bit.

The beer had a powerful nose of fruity berries, regular witbier notes missing.

Tastes like it smells, powerful fruit flavor in the beginning with nothing else, a crisp finish, though. Tastes like light beer with grape juice in it.

Mouthfeel is ok, decent carbonation makes it refreshing.

You could probably drink one or two of these before you decide to upgrade to a better beer. Nothing offensive just not a true witbier. Oh well, I'd still rather buy these for my gf than those crappy corona lights she drinks, this one is at least drinkable!

3.33/5  rDev +1.2%

This brewmaster's special doesn't really work as a fruit beer, or a wheat beer. It's an apricot-colored, hazy, fizzy brew. The nose promises berries, toasty grains, lemon and grape --but the taste doesn't deliver. Flavors of blackberry, citrus and biscuit are simple and unchallenging. A slightly soapy mouthfeel doesn't help. This is a perfectly nice beer, but nothing special.

2.35/5  rDev -28.6%

I was wondering about this - an now I found out. Starts off not too bad: Pours with a light fine white head and some lace. Color is a hazy amber. Aroma is like a wit beer but with serious blackberries. Flavor is where it takes a turn for the worse. I can pick up the wit thang in the background but the berry absolutely dominates and twists the stuff in a way that reminds me of crass comercialization. Body and carbonation is ok. Finish is like flavor. Not a session.

3.75/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a Saranac pint glass.

A: Poured a slightly cloudy, very pale, golden yellow color with a thin coating of velvety white lace and modest carbonation. Retention isn;t the best and there's little lasting lace.

S: Has a crisp, grainy sweet aroma with subtle notes of ripened blackberry and honey.

T: Flavor is very light, but fairly grainy and mellow up front, with a lightly toasted malt flavor. Some wheat malt and yeast funk creep in slightly before a faint blackberry juice flavor melds in to lighten up the taste even more. Relatively low tartness and a fruity, snappy finish.

M: Mouthfeel is light bodied and slightly chewy from residual brewing ingredients suspended in the brew.

D: The blackberry is so light I wouldn't even constitute it as a "must-try" for blackberry fans. But, it is natural tasting and a pretty good companion to the light, smooth drinkability of a witbier, which SA has crafted pretty well. not bad, but I wouldn't buy any quantity on its own for myself.

2.88/5  rDev -12.5%

A: Pours a hazy pale golden color. There was about a finger of crisp white head that recedes rather quickly to leave a slight bit of lacing.

S: Has a sweet berry aroma. You can definitely pick out the blackberry in the smell. There is a sharp tartness in the aroma as well.

T: The taste is mellowed down from the aroma which is a good thing. I was expecting a fruit loop flavor, but the taste is fairly clean and crisp. The front of the sip has a slight sweetness that quickly changes to blackberry with a slightly bitter tart finish. Nothing over powering. Overall much better than I was expecting but nothing stellar. My expectations weren't too high after my last fruit experience from Sam Adams was the Cranberry Lambic.

2.88/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a hazy dark gold with a finger of head. Head retention is pretty good, as is lacing.

Scent is a really sweet scent of blackberries. Slightly syrupy in nature.

Blackberry flavoring is not as strong as I would have thought. Still somewhat syrup-like at the end. Lacks much of a wit's usual flavor as well. Somewhat wet finish.

The syrup nature of the flavoring isn't in your face, but still somewhat bothersome. Being reminded of cough syrup is not something I tend to look for in a beer.

3.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz brown longneck included in part of the summer 12 pack. Poured into my SA perfect pint, the beer is a hazy light gold with a decent off-white head.

Nose of berries, perfume, berries and light grains.

The taste closely tracks the smell. It is light and fruity with berry notes, a bit of grain. It is sweet and teeters on the edge of being cloying. Just enough dry finish to pull it back from the edge.

The mouth is crisp and workman like. It is a light refreshing beer, but I will limit myself to no more than one every once-in-awhile.

3.53/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into my Terrapin pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy, on the darker side of golden. I love the color, but I wish the head would last longer.

Smell: Smells overwhelmingly of blackberries, to the exclusion of everything else.

Taste: A crisp, wheaty taste, with the blackberries surprisingly taking a backseat. I'm kind of happy about this, but maybe they should have been brought out a bit more, because they balance the wheat to the point of nearly neutralizing the flavor. It's still quite enjoyable, though.

Mouthfeel: Crisp but a little watery.

Drinkability: I have another one, but I'd rather drink something else after I'm done with this. Don't get me wrong, though: I will happily drink that other one... it just might be tomorrow when I do.

I don't like this as much as Cherry Wheat, but it's a worthy experiment on the part of the Boston Beer Company, and one I'm happy to have tasted.

3.38/5  rDev +2.7%

12oz bottled poured into a pint.

A: Cloudy golden orange appearance. About an inch of head, that fell quickly to about quarter inch. Common of most wheats. Some lacing.

S: This has a very strong aroma, as soon as I poured it I could smell the sweet berry bouquet. Diving a little farther in you can smell the wheat as well. I like the uniqueness of it's aroma.

T: I like this beer in small sips. A small sip tastes like a good crisp wheat beer with berry notes. A big gulp tastes like beer and artificial grape flavoring. I get a slight sour taste at the end.

M: Super light and carbonated, kind of feels like a soda. I think it is too carbonated.

D: This beer does go down very easily, it might make you a little gassy though. I could see drinking a couple with some friends at a cook out.

This is a beer that could be a hit or miss beer. Give it a try though.

12oz bottler obtained at Shaw's Supermarket in Derry, NH. pours a hazy golden color with about an inch of off white head. scents of blackberries immediately hits the nose with the scents of malt and vanilla in the background. tastes of blackberries immediately hit the palate with vanilla and cracker taste from the malt. medium bodied and moderately carbonated. light and easy drink and very flavorful. Two Thumbs up!

Cheers!

2.3/5  rDev -30.1%

A strong smell of blackberry sweetness with maybe a little wheat in the back. The taste is of an overly sweet blackberry. This is a fruity wheat beer and it accomplishes that but to my tastes this is a pretty one dimensional beer lacking any subtlety. Sub par compared to what I'm used to from Boston Beer.

3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance - Cloudy pale yellow with a creamy white head.

Smell - Mostly smells like blackberries, all right, with a little wheat in the back.

Taste - Blackberries, obviously, plus wheat, coriander, and pepper.

Mouthfeel - Medium-thick with high carbonation.

Notes - When I smelled it I was afraid this was going to be one-dimensional, but you can definitely taste some spices in it. It's far from complex, though. I don't regret trying it, but I don't intend to buy it again.

3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

a: dark orange, hazy. 1.5 finger head..

s: blackberry upfront, kinda citrusy, also a little wheat/grain

t: fake blackberry upfront, kinda citrusy, wheat hints...
finishes grainy with blackberry aftertaste on the palate

mf: smooth, light to medium carbonation

D: its easy to drink but not my cup of tea

3.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured into a pils glass from a 12 oz. bottle. Pours deep straw to golden in color with a careful half inch of white foam and shows a bit of haze and some suspended yeast. Decent retention and a moderate carbonation.

Nose is strong on berry notes and quite volatile. Subtle hints of wheat and barley are present but largely squashed by the fruit notes. Berry notes are pleasant yet overwhelm and dominate.

Light grain flavor initiates but is then hit by the powerful blackberry notes. Slightly sweet for the style yet works OK with the fruit flavors and fills the body a bit. Grainy flavors reveal themselves towards the finish as the fruit disperses briefly, only to return to a firmly carbonated cherry soda close.

Sweet and simple with classic witbier flavors buried in the fruit, enough so that I would call this a Fruit/Veg. Beer as for style. Decent drink if you favor the lopsided aroma and flavor of the beer.

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier pours a bright golden/orange color and is extremely translucent. The head is white with good retention and lacing.

The smell has obvious notes of blackberry, and it is really hard to pick up on any other nuances.

Its tastes starts off with sweet notes and quickly turns into sour/tartness similar to fruit candy. These intial flavors remind me of blackberry soda. The finish has a twang similar to a saison style, which is the only taste recoganizable to anyother style of beer.

The mouthfeel is medium and decently creamy, but it does finish crisp. This allows it to be relatively easy to drink, especailly to other beers in this style or similar ones.

Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier was a pleasant suprise for me as I typically turn my nose up at these styles. I think it is definitely worth a try for even the hoppiest of hop heads.

3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

I'm going to be comparing this to Long Trail Blackbeary Wheat a little bit.

A - Pours an absolute hazy orange/brown into a pint glass. No visible sediment. 2 fingers of white head at the max, leaves a thin cap that barely coves the entire surface. Not much lacing to speak of. A lot better than Blackbeary, which looked like Bud Light.

S - A nice refreshing smell to this. Smells like a blackberry dessert; blackberry with a hint of vanilla or clove. Very sweet and appealing.

T - Blackbeary Wheat had a taste of seltzer first, blackberry second. This is just the opposite. Still very strong carbonation and notable hop bitterness, but that doesn't overpower the blackberry taste, which is definitely identifiable as blackberry in this brew. Tastes a little artificial, however.

MF - A little on the thick side. Slightly syrupy. Not disgusting, just a little extreme.

D - Not the most drinkable beer in the variety pack. For a fruit beer, I was expecting something a little lighter and easier to throw back. This has too much of a seltzer bite and heavy body to be a real pounder.

4.13/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a copper color, minimal head (maybe something with my glass).

Aroma, typical wheat aroma with defnite blackberry presence.

Taste is dominated by blackberry but it is very pleasant and not overdone.

mouthfeel is a bit thin, I would have preferred a bit more body.

Drinkability is very high, this would be a great session beer on a warm summer day.

Overall, highly enjoyable, not overly complex beer, a worthy addition to the beers of summer mix pack.

4.03/5  rDev +22.5%

April 30, 2010

A - Drank out of bottle so could only see that it was fairly clear.

S - A light scent of blackberries.

T - The taste of blackberries is enjoyable and not over powering.

M/D - The carbonation is relatively low which helps with the taste of blackberries and helps with drinkability.

Overall this is a great beer in my book and would seek out again. The price is also reasonable

Served - Cold in Bottle

3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

Originally reviewed 4/14.

A-Pours a mildly hazy golden color with a two finger white head.

S-Blackberries is really all I'm getting with maybe the slightest hint of wheat.

T-Aroma is misleading in regards to actual taste. I'm getting a dry grainy note that is the predominant flavor going on here with some blackberries.

M-Carbonation on this one is almost disruptive to the taste. The blackberry notes are so subtle that the carbonation blurs their prescence.

D-Not a bad beer per se, but not one I'll be likely to revisit in the future.

3.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Reviewed on 4-17-10
Reviewed cold from a bottle to glass

A - Cloudy yellow hugh, 2 fingers of foam with fair amount of carbonation present

S - Blackberry's, malt with no real hop presence

T - For sure you can taste the blackberries, sweet malts

M/D - Decent brew from Sam Adam's, not really one of my favorites from them. I am glad I tried the brew. To me it is a medium bodied brew due only to the blackberry taste. Probably wouldn't seek this brew out again.

2.3/5  rDev -30.1%

Appearance - Psycho carbonation, small foamy head, dark golden color, slightly transparent instead of fully opaque as I expected from a 'wit'. Laces nicely.

Smell - Blackberry is heavy in the nose and its pretty much smothering every other aroma in there, which I cannot identify but only detect their presence. I suppose its interesting.

Taste - The blackberry flavor is up and center, but I'm trying really hard to dissect whats behind it. The finish is malty but not wheaty. The way the flavors mix results in a slight medicinal taste. I can't say I like this.

Mouthfeel - Feels like a wit.

Drinkability - The flavor just makes this completely undrinkable for me. SOrry.

3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a hazy golden color with a small head that leaves minimal lacing. The nose is very sweet and very strong of blackberries with a little bit of malt. The taste is a fair balance between blackberries and malt. Also very sweet. Decent mouthfeel and good drinkability, this beer was made to be refreshing on a hot summer day, which is does a great job of doing, much better than the summer ale in my opinion.

4.33/5  rDev +31.6%

Very hazy light gold colored body. Fairly big white head disappears pretty quickly. Still leaves some lace behind. The scent is your typical wit smell, with a nice dose of blackberries. Same for the taste: nice refreshing belgian wheat backed by a nicely blended blackberry finish. Nice fairly full and soft mouth. Very refreshing. I'm not normally huge on wits, but this one i really enjoy.

2.42/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A. Pours a hazy orange with a thick white foamy head that sticks around, but leaves no lacing.

S. Subtle sweet fruity smell - almost like cotton candy.

T. Malt base with a fairly unpleasant fake fruit taste; they claim blackberry, but it tastes more like a very watered down grape Kool-Aid to me with little else.

M. Acceptable mouthfeel. Medium level of carbonation - good for a summer BBQ.

D. Refreshing, but that's about the only good news.

I hate that I'm always forced to get something I don't want in order to purchase the combination pack. I didn't expect much out of this and I wouldn't buy it again. I hope the Latitude 48 is worth it.

3.3/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a golden color with orange hues, small white head that leaves quite quickly, no lacing.

Smell has a tinge of blackberry fruitiness melded within the dominate malt backing.

Taste is as expected, mostly malt with a light aftertaste of fruit, namely the blackberry, not fruity or sweet enough to be a fruit beer, not yeasty/wheaty enough to be a witbier, falls somewhere in between and wish it would be more of both, carbonation is crisp though and it goes down quickly, sadly the gimmick of the blackberry needs to be stronger in order to work.

Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)