Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Blackberry WitbierSamuel Adams Blackberry Witbier

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-18-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev +13.4%

Got this in a sixer from Lee's Discount Liquors here in Las Vegas. Apparently a part of Sam Adams "Brewmaster's Collection." Thought it might be a good gateway beer for friends and the wife.

Appearance
A good enough looking beer, if it had a blackberry tinge in color, I couldn't tell. Yellow/Golden all the way. Low-Moderate carbonation.

Smell
Mmmm... Smelled like Blackberries and beer.

Taste
The Blackberry flavor is really balanced. Definitely there, not overwhelming at all. It's the beer flavor that bothered me, I'm not a huge fan of sour beer, and this had a gueze like sourness that I really did not enjoy. The rest of the flavors were decent, it was the light sourness that kept me from really liking this one.

Mouthfeel
Felt fine in the piehole.

Drinkability
There is nothing that would keep me from downing seven or eight of these. In fact, I suspect if this was the fourth rather than the only beer I had tonight, I would like it a whole lot more and I wouldn't be wondering who to give the other six to.

Oahu, Apr 10, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Grabbed a single of this coming off a weekend Imperial Stout-binge, it seemed easy and girly and just what I wanted.

A. Have to say, this looks pretty nice. A fat, even, dense off white head billows up and almost overwhelms my trusty Sam Adams glass. Lots of active carbonation here means it lasts a while, and the cloudy, rich yellow certainly works well. Good lacing. Very pretty.

S. Pretty spicy... lots of coriander going on here, more than I'd like. Celery-like. Vanilla? A bit vegetal and malty. And then: Loads of blackberry! I mean, it's a bit much... I dunno... is almost a primary smell rather then complementary... not really my bag, but at least you get what is advertised.

T. Spicy, dry, fruity flavor but not generally sweet... refreshing in a weird way, because I can't get over the idea that this has celery juice in it. It's just excessive. Grainy, ultimately sour malt finishes this off.

M. Here we go. Dry, crisp, cool, easy. Nothing wrong here, except for the finish, which is sour, grainy, and unpleasant.

D. You know, on a hot day this might go down better... it just needs tweaking in my opinion. I like blackberries... I just don't like how they came out in this beer.

Worth the $1.75 to try it...

kkipple, Apr 10, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

I saw this today for the first time and had to grab a 6er. It poured up a slightly cloudy orange colour with an enormous white head that stayed in place for several minutes, so it certainly gets points for head retention. Smell was 75/25 blackberries and biscuity malt; nothing else. Taste was light malt, some spices not immediately identifiable, and then modest blackberry on the finish. The blackberry is certainly much more assertive to the nose than to the palate. Mouthfeel seemed okay, given the style, but I *would* have liked a bit more CO2, as this was nearly bereft of any at all. Drinkability is average, I suppose. A good beer, all in all, but nothing really special. Glad I tried it. I'll try it again this summer when it's 94F outside.

SilentSabre, Apr 09, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I didn't care for this one too much. Strong malt with blackberry and spice. As the beer warmed up the taste seemed to get more bitter and maltier. Wasn't too easy to drink, maybe good for one but not two. I didn't feel it was a witbier, didn't compare to a Hoegaarden or other classic style. Seemed gimmicky to me. Give it a shot if you llke lambics or fruit flavors otherwise save yourself the time and money.

greenjeff4141, Apr 07, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured a cherry reddish auburn gold with one-finger white head. Smell is mostly tart blackberries and grape - akin to a light red wine w/o the oakiness. There isn't too much else going on thanks to the heavy berry smells. A light-bodied and smooth beer that almost is watery at times. This is a good drink depending on your tastes. It has an immense fruit flavor that overpowers anything else other than the sweetness (there is a barely noticeable crisp backbite). If you are not a fan of sweet or fruity drinks, this will not be for you. If you a traditional witbier drinker I'd refrain also, b/c the spices and citric/lemon tartness associated w/ wits is covered up by the berry/heavier fruits. I enjoyed this beer though, but will add that more than one or two and I'd start to get sick.

clayrock81, Apr 06, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +19.5%

Visual:
It poured a hazy golden yellow and agitated easily to leave a two-finger head with an off-white color. The cloudiness was spot on for traditional witbier style. The head disappeared slowly but left a bubbly cap till the end with a less-than-normal lace around the glass.

Aroma:
At first, a slight hint of skunk hit my nose reminiscent of lagers left in the sun. But later on, the smell disappeared so I couldn't tell if it was just this batch, this bottle, or if it was normal.

A sweet, grain-like aroma is the main nose followed by a floral bouquet from the hops as well as hints of coriander and spice. Tart berry notes make a pleasant finish.

Taste:
Though most witbiers I am used to are more medium bodied, this feels a bit lighter with a soft mouth-feel. The front of the tongue is introduced to spices and grains as a slight bitterness rolls to the back. At first, the tartness of the blackberries create a bit of a pucker in your mouth but finish well with a sweet, berry aftertaste that lingers.

Overall:
I must say, it is not my favorite nor am I overly impressed. However, it is an enjoyable and drinkable beer that seems appropriate for the end of summer/beginning of fall. It seems it would be best paired with fruit and pastries or a light salad.

**07-29-09 UPDATE**

Just cracked a fresh bottle of this from a SA Summer Mixed Pack. And the aroma doesn't have the skunk like last time. In fact, it is extremely juicy and sweet/tart of blackberries.

The taste is about like I remembered, only a bit less husky and the blackberry notes are much more pronounced. Much more enjoyable.

Cheers again!

dbmcrorie, Apr 06, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +38.3%

appearance - Poued a hazy golden color with th a nice head that settled. lots of lace onthe glas.

smell - All blackberrieshre, nice sweet smell here.

taste - Very nice beer for the hot day. Refresing inda on the Medium-kight side. Lots of berrieshere.

mouthfeel - Medium-lightm crisp and clean.

drinkability - Easy rinking beer, could drink a lot of these. Sam Adams did it again. Cheers!

auxiliary, Apr 05, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Cloudy yellow-orange with a two-finger head that settles to a frothy cap. Aromas of blackberry sweetness, coriander, and a little spiciness. Sweet berry tartness and an underlying tangy wheat graininess. Medium-light and a little drying.

Not bad. Aside from some coriander here and there, this is more of a straight-up fruit beer than anything else. Not as subtle with the berries as the bottle says, but not bad as a thirst quencher.

wedge, Apr 05, 2009
3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

Bottle pours a hazy honey gold body with a creamy vanilla medium sized head. Good sticky lacing.

Aroma has vague spice(pepper and coriander), toasted wheat, and twangy blackberry.

Crisp carbonation enlivens the light medium body but there's some thinness here.

Taste has a bready wheat malt twang and a hint of yeast. Slight spiciness is barely noticed and seems to be coriander. Subtle berry tartness is natural enough and not overdone.

Quite drinkable but still a bit pedestrian. Far superior to their Cherry Wheat.

merlin48, Apr 05, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Yellow-orange straw color with nice white head and major lacing. Perfect Witbier style cloudiness.

S: Fresh blackberry scent and mildly spicy aroma.

T & M: Mildly sweet blackberry flavor and spiciness. Crisp light to medium bodied with a dry, slightly oily aftertaste.

I was worried after reading some of these reviews, but this is a great beer for the style. I am not a witbier fan, but I do enjoy berry flavored ales. This is exceptional for the style and I'll definitely try some again.

cdizinno, Apr 04, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a very nice 2 finger head with a slightly cloudy yellow orange color. Retention is AMAZING.

Smell is of blackberry, but any spice that lies underneath is fairly muted.

Taste has the bittersweet flavor of blackberry. I think a tart fruit could be added to provide a nice balance and interesting profile. Some mild wit spice is also used. Not bad.

Mouthfeel is fairly crisp and refreshing with a little bit of an oilyness.

This is a fairly easy beer to drink. Nicely done, but there is room for improvement.

jasonjlewis, Apr 04, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +15.5%

Opened 12 Fluid Ounce bottle, poured into Nonic glass.

Pours a light cream head with little retention; turns to lace atop a golden brown hazy brew.

First smell is of dark berries and banana; blackberry smell overrides the banana smell; Berry taste is also prominent on palate. I don't taste any spice, but the wheat is pretty prominent.

Mouth feel is nice, with good bubbles that don't attack in a harsh manner. Pretty smooth finish. Would I have another? While I'm not a huge fan of fruit brews, this is well balanced. Lightly sweet and great flavor. Sure, pour me another.

mattster, Apr 03, 2009
3.38/5  rDev +2.7%

A: A nice orange appearance but very clear, a lot of carbonation. Thin white head with almost no retention.

S: Blackberry with a faint hint of wet wheat bread.

T: Starts with a light blackberry kick, but flows into a wheat malt character. Not a lot of bite, but has a clean finish, with a light blackberry aftertaste.

M: Medium body, with a strong presence on the palate. Very carbonated and it dances in your mouth.

D: Not overly fruity, for this style. Also the taste is of natural fruit, instead of some cheap artificial additive. Balance is not bad and this is a drinkable brew.

earthboundagain, Apr 02, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -4.3%

Reviewed 3/31/2009 (Bottle BB July 2009):

Pours a very clear, dark yellow colored body, with a big foamy white head, lasting, rocky. Very strong sickly sweet blackberry aroma, syrupy smelling but fresh smelling too. Fresh subtle blackberry taste, lots of malt. Grainy tasting. Somewhat nutty aftertaste with a lingering sweet berry-ness. Lightly carbonated body. Letting warm up a bit..Sweet maltiness. An okay refreshing fruit beer.

jujubeast6000, Apr 01, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a chalice-shapped pint glass (not exactly sure if that's a good way to describe it, but oh well). Appearence is pale and hazy. Actually looks pretty apetizing. Not much head or lacing to speak of.

Smells strong of blackberries, with a touch of hefe...

Taste... It delivers what it promises. Blackberries all over the palate. This might sound insane, but for the relative lack of hops, blackberry seems to balance out the efficient malting quite nicely. Either that, or they found a hop blend that fits perfectly with the blackberry flavor profile... I have to say, I'm a fan...

Mouthfeel is nice and evenly flavorful during the sip. Suprisingly adequate after the finish for how light tasting this is.

Drinkability is so-so, I guess if you're not that into blackberry (which I am) this is not going to be that drinkable (which it is).

I was tempted to prejudge this brew as rediculous effort to waste brewing resourses simply to nerd out and appeal to the geek-mafia... But it seems Boston Brewing has done a pretty good thing here...

YesFest, Apr 01, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

I agitate the 12-ounce bottle before decrowning and am rewarded with a brew that pours hazy orange-tinted golden. The beer is capped with a fast-fading white head that soon dissolves into a thin-collared skim that leaves wispy lacing on the inside of my weizen glass.

The aroma is potently fruity and tangy-sweet with loads of juicy blackberries on a lightly toasted wheat backbone. A bit of mellow spice, perhaps coriander, adds a touch of contrast to the berry-fest before me.

The taste is also quite berry-juicy fruity, and the wheaty base-layer makes a return appearance, only now its relevant graininess is much less toasted, but is instead softer, sweeter, and more mellow. As the drink progresses, the berryfruit sweetens to jam-like proprotions, pushing hard toward achieving the unfortunate level of "cloying".

The drink is lightly-carbonated, smooth, and medium-bodied, and I think one will be plenty for me.

cvstrickland, Mar 31, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

S = Citrus and hints of blackberry.

T = There was a mixture of orange peel, straw, and a decent amount of blackberry. The finish was rather weak and bland, but there were still the hints of blackberry and straw.

MF = Body was a little thin and carbonation was above moderate. Crisp and clean.

Overall, nothing really outstanding about this offering. However, if you like blackberry flavors, then give this one a try.

Riverwarrior, Mar 31, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +15.5%

Typical pale straw-coloured wheat with a hint of cloudiness. A one-finger head that soon dissipates and minimal lacing. The sweet wheat nose is augmented by the berry aroma, but I wouldn't have known it was blackberries if I hadn't seen the label. Once on the tongue though the blackberry flavour is unmistakable and pleasingly subtle, especially in the finish when the vapours waft up to the nasal passages.

I don't generally care for wheat beers - I got this one as a sample from a beer rep. I think the purists might look down their nose a little at this beer, but it has its appeal.

omnigrits, Mar 31, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a cloudy orange gold with a thin head. Smells like blackberry or cherry cobbler. The aromas were kind of strong and overwhelming. The taste was of belgian white (of course), yeast, coriander, orange peel and then a strong blackberry or cherry flavor in the dry finish. I'm not a big fan of the cherry wheat and this beer reminded me of that. There was a watery feeling to this beer also.

Kromes, Mar 28, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a light amber with a subtle slick white head. It's partly cloudy, and looks very bubbly. Smells like berries. Tastes like berries. I think the berry flavor is too much. After a couple sips I cant tell if it's berries im tasting or something else. There is definitely an under lying taste i cant put my finger on, and it's weird. The mouth feel is good. Very light crisp and refreshing. Drinkability is so so. I wont have more than one in a row.

aibkstaff, Mar 27, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours a straw-amber body with clean white head and light-medium lacing. My olfactory system is bombarded with an overpowering fruit aroma like berry-flavored children's multivitamins that have been crushed up, and then maybe mixed with cereal, as the malt barely manages to show through. Taste is again dominated by a fairly overwhelming amount of berry sweetness followed by a dry cereal-grain finish. I hate to be so critical of a beer, and maybe I've gotten a bad batch, or am just missing something, but the flavor is borderline-offensive. Mouthfeel makes up for it a bit, as it's got a little volume and decent carbonation. As for drinkability, I'd say moderate, as I can objectively view this as what might be a refreshing, fruity brew. That being said, I do have a personal issue with the aroma and flavor of the beer. In all honesty, I won't be picking this one up again.

endincolorado, Mar 27, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -13.4%

I was underwhelmed with the aroma. Slight blackberry hints, but almost get a coppery twang to the smell.

Taste was better than the aroma. Blackberry is quite apparent, but tastes a bit syrupy. Flavor isn't bad, but resembles a lager a bit too much for me.

Overall, not a bad beer, especially for a fruity beer, of which I am rarely impressed. It has it's place, but I probably wouldn't buy it again.

untamedbeer, Mar 26, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Color is a pale golden yellow with a very small white head that goes away quickly. Not much belgian lace. Aroma is full of fruit, not necesarrily blackberry but fruity like a wheat ale from the yeast. Flavor is very sickly fruity, not balanced. Some graininess. Mouthfeel is rather thin. OK for a game of beer pong but not one I would order again.

bigbelcher, Mar 26, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a 1/2" white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a nice pale and wheat malt scent along with a fruity blackberry essence aroma. It's just like any other fruit beer, but with a bit of witbier spice thrown in. The taste is decent as well. It has a crisp, pale and wheat malt flavor that goes down easy and finishes dry with a sweet blackberry taste. It's tastes like blackberry extract; very fake. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an average tasting fruit beer. There's nothing exceptional going on here.

WesWes, Mar 26, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

12oz bottle into a Boston Lager glass pours a crisp pale orange with a thin head that lasts as a thin layer for a few minutes than diminishes to a ring. The aroma is an interesting blend of sweet fruits, blueberries and bubblegum, almost like grape gum in a way. The taste is a kick of sweetness with blueberry and pale malt presence and a slight hop presence in the finish. The beer is appropriately light and crisp with smooth carbonation. This is certainly an interesting variation on the style, one that could be enjoyable on a hot summer day.

atsprings, Mar 25, 2009
Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)