Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Blackberry WitbierSamuel Adams Blackberry Witbier

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-18-2009

Reviews: 671 | Hads: 1,620
3.85/5  rDev +14.9%

found this bottle lying in the back of my friends fridge that was probably back there for a year or longer...

drank from said bottle

tasted like a beer after you had a shot of Leroux Blackberrt Brandy and you chased it with a Sam Adams

in saying that...it was a good flavor and went down smooth....cant justify 9 dollars for a 6 pack of this but id try it again.

3.88/5  rDev +15.8%

better taste than expected. nice wheat with fruity taste. doesnt seem to have the same old hop style as all the other sam adams brews and is slightly surprising. some bitterness in the aftertaste, but it was to be expected from this brand. i havent met a supremely astonishing taste character yet from this brewer....

3.15/5  rDev -6%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy golden yellow with a two finger white head.

Blackberries are definitely present in the aroma along with a little bit of lemon and coriander. Not bad at all.

Sweet citrus is front and center on the taste and I can definitely pick out blackberries. It doesn't taste artificial which is a plus considering this is a problem with some fruit beers. A little coriander and a soft wheat mouthfeel make this a pleasing drink.

Overall, not bad but pretty average all around. I'm not sure if I would seek it out again but it is refreshing and a decent brew from Sam Adams.

3.57/5  rDev +6.6%

I went to a local party store initially to pick up another 6-pack of Samuel Adams Summer Ale, but I walked out with Blackberry Witbier.

First thing I noticed when I got home was that this beer is unfiltered. Being fairly new to beer, I initially thought it was contaminated (derp). I cracked a bottle open, took a smell, and then a quick swig. It has a pleasant blackberry aroma -- as you'd expect -- as well as a slight taste of them as well. I've seen some of the reviewers comment that it's overpowering and that the beer is much too sweet, but I don't get that at all. As a matter of fact, less than half a bottle in my belly, and I couldn't really even taste the blackberry anymore.

The mouth feel of this beer is incredible due to it being unfiltered. If you take a sip and leave it on your tongue at all, it starts to foam up.

While Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier smells great and has a really nice mouth feel, it's really just an average beer ... especially after a few sips when the blackberry seems to disappear. Personally, I could never drink more than one bottle in a session ... Good, but not spectacular.

2.86/5  rDev -14.6%

The beer pours a hazy golden-orange color with a white head. The aroma has a little bit of wheat, but what is really standing out is a very sweet blackberry component. The flavor is also full of extremely sweet, and somewhat cloying, blackberry fruit notes. There is some wheat, and maybe a hint of coriander, but the fruit is front and center. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.55/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. Pours hazy golden with a two-finger length white head. Tiny bubbles can be seen streaming from the bottom of the glass. Lacing is left on the side of the glass during consumption. Sweet blackberries dominate the smell. I can also pick up some of the faint malt aroma as well. Blackberry hits the mouth at the beginning with the clean wheat malt taste coming through at the back. There is little hop flavor. There is some coriander as well. The flavors complement each other well. The body is light to medium with adequate carbonation. It is smooth and refreshing. The drinkability is high. Overall, this is a very good beer. If you're looking to experiment with fruit beer, picking this up as a single isn't a bad idea.

3.05/5  rDev -9%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a pale gold. Small white head. Nose is fruity with blackberry jam, faint grassy notes. Mouth is crisp with plenty of carbonation, but not too harsh. Lots of blackberry in the flavor, but not too sweet. Faint spice profile adds a slight spiciness that balances out the fruity sweetness well. Not bad. Refreshing beer.

After a bit of a hiatus (due to purchasing a home), it's good to be back with a review.

Bottle poured into a Sam Adams pint glass. Hazy gold in appearance with a reasonable level of carbonation. Well, I expected more of a subtle blackberry flavor but that's not what I got. Many "beer nerds" won't like that, but I don't have a problem with it. I like beer, I like blackberries.

I would not, however, consider this a witbier. A pure fruit beer in my opinion like Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat.

Refreshing, flavorful and perfect after a long day of unloading boxes. I'm glad I tried it, will re-visit from time to time - 4s across the board.

3.25/5  rDev -3%

Pours a slightly hazy golden orange in color, with a thin off-white head. Smells of a hint of blackberries. Taste begins with a hint of ghost blackberry sweetness, then following is an interesting pecan flavor, and then some bready, toasty flavor. A hint of tart blackberry in the finish. Mouthfeel is sort of light. Overall a decent beer, though a bit more fruit flavoring than I typically like in a beer. I really wouldnt want more than one 12oz serving in a session.

3.82/5  rDev +14%

Appearance - Pours a somewhat hazy, golden straw color with a finger width white head, decent retention, and leaves behind a spotty lacing.

Smell - True to the name. Smells of wheat and blackberry. Also, a faint bit of milkiness as well.

Taste - Starts with a milky wheat flavor, then the blackberry kicks in and breaks it up midtaste before the wheat comes back and leads into the aftertaste. The flavor is simple, but effective.

Mouthfeel - Light. A tad watery. Decent carbonation leads to a fair, tangy bite, but I'd like to see more.

Overall - An interesting take on a witbier. I'd like to see a bit more aggressiveness with the flavors, but that's not necessarily true to the style. Regardless, I love the wheat and blackberry pairing.

3.15/5  rDev -6%

Into a nonic pint glass (also had in a regular pint glass, nothing changed):

A: light orange colored body into a nonic and had a small white one finger head. Very little lacing was left and no rings were left either, some light carbonation was seen rising.

S: blackberries and wheat. Some malts were in the background.

T: pretty much the same, nothing new from the smell.

M: medium and the carbonation was moderately felt on the mouth.

O: this isn't a bad beer. I've had it before but wanted to put out a fair review while I've had it recently. I'd have this again, preferably on tap.

3.42/5  rDev +2.1%

Minimal head on a light orange body. Hazy throughout. 3.0

Wheat malts and blackberries. The pairing has that aspartame-sweetened carbonated fruit water smell. Can't pick up a particular hop aroma. Some snarls of minty-ness and herbs. 3.5

A very tangy wheat element, which is a tad attenuated. The fruit flavor is better than the aroma. Fresher and not as pushy. This is a one-note song. Mild hop bitterness in the finish, but mostly wheat malts, Belgian yeast musk, and blackberries. 3.5

The carb is a little weak, and the beer a little sticky. Has okay body, but sugary. Surprisingly, not a cinch to throw back. 3.0

Few American-made witbiers impress me, this is no different. Not sure if blackberry is a fruit I'd add to one. But, it has a pleasant aftertaste and grows on you as it warms. 3.5

3.57/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours to a creamy white head and generous lace. Color is deep gold with very little haze (I did not roll the bottle). Aroma is a combination of creamy malt and berries. Flavor is fruity and sweet mix of wheat, coriander and blackberries. Mouthfeel is light and CO2 is strong. Overall, I think this is a tasty refreshing beer that appeals to those who like fruity drinks.

2.77/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

My first ever Wit. This one poured deep golden with a very small head. Aroma of spice and sweet sweet sweetness with only a hint of the berries. Flavor follows very much on the sweet side, wheat, honey, berries, some very faint yeasty characteristic. Dirty finish. Mouthfeel was a little heavy with some artificial taste to this. Lots of berries on the flavor, like syrup. Enough carbonation to lighten things up and make them relatively drinkable. OK.

3.27/5  rDev -2.4%

Pretty good flavored brew! Not really much on the fruity blends but this was nice. The appearance bout what you would expect from a wheat brew, anyway the taste is very basic with lots of fruity flavors perfect to introduce to a lady friend maybe. Mouthfeel is light and overall I would pick it again in a pick six!

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a Belgian tulip glass.

A: Pours a clear golden-orange hue with a thin, 2-finger, white head that quickly dissipates into a wispy lace.

S: Fruity blackberry aroma with a zesty

T: Sweet tart fruity ale. Dominant flavors of blackberry and other dark fruits.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: This is a solid fruit beer. I like the blackberry flavor – refreshing and tasty.

2.9/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I'm not usually a fan of fruity beers, but I'll try anything once, and Sam Adams rarely lets me down. Let's see what we have here...

A: Cloudy golden colored. About a finger of head.

S: Smells like blackberries, though that's probably no surprise. There's not much behind it other than a little malt. Smells like it might be sweet.

T: I've never been a fan of fruit beers simply because it usually ends up tasting like somebody left some ripe fruit in a sweaty sock and soaked it in beer for a few days... some beers do it better than others and actually manage to make sweet and bitter coexist in harmony. Unfortunately, this is a little closer to the former variety. It is tolerable, but the berry flavors simply detract from the beer itself, and makes it difficult not to ponder, "I wonder how much happier I would be if I were drinking something else?"

M: Really foamy. More than I expected. It almost detracts from the flavor a little because it seems to evaporate as soon as it touches the tongue. I think if it weren't a fruity beer I would enjoy this sort of carbonation a lot more.

O: This is not the worst berry beer I've had, but it's certainly not the best, either. If you really like blackberries, I suggest having a blackberry flavored vodka. Stop putting your berries in my beer.

3.03/5  rDev -9.6%

First time I tried it was straight from the bottle and the blackberries were definetely strong.

Poured into a Weizen glass

Appearance - fairly typical wheat beer appearance...slightly hazy golden yellow with a slight orange hue. Pours with below average head that dissipates quickly with no lacing.

Smell - Definite smell of blackberries with little else coming through

Taste - Does have a slight fruity taste but I didn't really taste blackberry per se. Not much above a basic wheat taste that finishes fairly clean with a slight after taste

Mouthfeel - I thought it was a little light for a wheat beer.

Overall - A decent beer that is a break from the norm. A middle of the road brew from a quality brewery.

3.05/5  rDev -9%

12-oz bottle into weizen glass

A - transparent starw yellow body with a slight cloudyness, 3 fingers of white foam, moderate carbonation bubbles rising

S - candy sweetness, blackberries, grain

T - blackberries and sugar sweetness, grains make their way in; slight hint of hops; grainy aftertaste as the sweet blackberries fade away

M - light/medium body with medium/high carbonation, oily and sticky

O - This is about what I expected it to be: an average witbier overpowered by blackberries.

2.93/5  rDev -12.5%

12oz bottle poured into a Shock Top weizen glass. Label notched Best before MAY 2012.

Appearance - Hazy gold body. One finger soap suds head with decent retention and stick.

Smell - Reminds me a lot of an MD 20/20. Kind of weird. Faint grainy musk.

Taste - Candy sweetness dominates. You can pick up the grainy musk of the witbier underneath it all, but it seems like it's trying too hard to get your attention. Mild stale musk in the finish. A little too sweet and thick to be refreshing.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied. Somewhat spritey. Almost sticky. Fluffy.

Overall Drinkability - I'm not sure there's really a good way to make this beer. Having the flavor any thinner would make it seem weak and watery, but having it as strong as it is sort of drowns out the wheat and makes the concoction feel over flavored. There's no good way to balance it. If you don't like

3.62/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: pours a 2 finger white head with small bubbles. Carbonated throughout. Straw gold color that is almost 90% filtered. 10% wheat haze.

S: Blackberry, lemon, orange and bread.

T: Malt breadiness upfront, blackberry in the background, missing Belgian witbier phenolics.

M: Medium body, carbonated with no alcohol present. Malt backbone adds to body.

O: Good session beer. Not too heavy on the fruit so it goes down really easy. Still just a fruit beer. Although at least it doesn't taste like extract.

2.82/5  rDev -15.8%

Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier - it was sitting next to a berry wise and so I figured I give the lower priced beer a try.

Appearance - a beautiful amber brown with just enough clarity to let you know it was filtered. Silky and smooth looking.

Smell - I was hoping very a strong blackberry with hops smell but I was let down by this Adam's. It smells vaguely of hops and a very light scent of fruit, but to me it was more of an apple smell than blackberry.

Taste - A very normal beer taste, with a good after taste of blackberries. I was thinking the berries would be more pronounced but it was very subdued, like the smell. The beer tastes like a good wheat though.

Mouthfeel - average mouthfeel, not much carbonation but enough to satisfy.

Overall - a very average beer. I was a little disappointed with the lack of flavor but it still is a decent beer. A good drinker for the spring.

1.4/5  rDev -58.2%

This is just not beer!

It looks like beer. Golden color, well carbonated though the head doesn't stay. A hint of hazy body but fairly clear.

It smells like some kind of fruity kids beverage. Just straight blackberry and sugar aromas.

It tastes like some awful mix of that kids drink and beer. Fruit adjunct flavors with a rather poor tasting grainy base beer.

It feels like a beer. Well carbonated and lively on the tongue. Rather drinkable if you can get past the flavor part.

Sam Adams cranks out more styles and more beers than just about anyone so I suppose we can give them slack for making a few bad ones, but this one just is down right terrible.

3.23/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance: A two finger white head that dissipates in a minute or so. The beer is a clear orange-yellow color.

Smell: strong berry smell

Taste: The blackberry taste is a bit too overwhelming, some weak malt/grains...not much but subtle.

Mouthfeel: Medium...smooth. An excellent level of carbonation and drinkability.

Overall: Pretty middle of the road. Not a fruit beer fan. This is tame...just OK.

3.39/5  rDev +1.2%

Another of tone77's bottles to keep me from just becoming a total CANhead and since I had precisely nothing else going on tonight, this seemed like a good time to try it.

From the bottle: "Only a specific blackberry could bring the subtle flavor that we wanted for this brew. These Marion blackberries from Oregon give a hint of blackberry in the aroma and taste and perfectly complement the refreshing and crisp flavors of the witbier. Cheers! [undersigned] Jim Koch"; "Wheat Ale brewed with blackberries and spices and natural flavor added".

I am going with one of my S. Adams' Perfect Pint glasses since that seems like a perfect idea to me. The two foamy, fizzy fingers of eggnog-colored head evidenced decent retention.Color was a deep-yellow with a lot of suspended floaties which I imagined was the spices. Nose was rich in blackberry, no doubt, but it was also kind of sweet for my liking. Mouthfeel was on the thin side and the taste was less sweet than what I had anticipated. Instead, the tartness of the wheat gave a nice counterbalance to the fruity sweetness. Finish was semi-sweet and while it was refreshing, one would be plenty for me. It might be nicer in the summer heat, but I just was not feeling it on this chill rainy evening.

Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)