Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Blackberry WitbierSamuel Adams Blackberry Witbier

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-18-2009

firstprev| 601-625 | 626-650 | 651-675  | next → last
Reviews: 671 | Hads: 1,617
2.79/5  rDev -17.2%

A- A slightly hazy yellow color with a thin but creamy white head that has some decent retention. Not nearly as cloudy as I expected for a wit.

S- Sweet, candy berry aroma and a bit of biscuity malt. Smells surprisingly good. The berry aroma really stands out here and is not what I would call subtle like the label implies.

T- Shockingly and cloyingly sweet. This is by far the sweetest beer I have ever encountered. I was really pleased with the aroma, but this is just way too much. This is like blackberry soda.

M- For as soda like as the flavor is, the mouthfeel is surprisingly nice. A good carbonation level, but that stickiness is really drying.

D- Way too sweet, but once you get past that... nevermind, I can't get past it. I think they could have done with a little less blackberry and a little more wit. (819 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +37.7%

I was surprised to see a couple of really negative reviews for this beer. My fiancee bought me a six-pack of it to try since it was a Sam Adams she'd never seen before, and I've really been enjoying it. The blackberry taste is nice, and not overwhelmingly fruity. I think what I like best is that it's got a great aftertaste, and is--to me--very drinkable. I could have (and have had) several in an evening. I will definitely be buying more. (441 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -42.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours and looks like a hazy wheat type beer.

Faint smell of blackberries and some malts.

Tastes like blackberries with little to no beer taste. Exceedingly bitter as well. Think a watery bitter blackberry cough syrup...horrid.

The mouth feel is too light for the style and the taste. Fizzy light blackberry.

I may not be able to finish this bottle, pretty much undrinkable due to the poor balancing of beer to blackberry.

The first complete swing and miss for Sam Adams that I've had....Avoid. (500 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +43.9%

I've been awaiting the arrival of the beer a while now and was happy to see it at my local Krogers. I'm not a big fan of their Cherry Wheat, but then again I'm not a fan of cherry anything.

Beer has a golden color when poured with a nice 1/2 head. Hint of Blackberry smell and other spices. First sip and I detected a hint of sweat blackberries followed by a tart finish. I'm really liking this brew a lot. I know many are still sore that this beat out the heavy Coffee Stout, but every since I moved to Texas with the more hot summers and chilly winters, the days of heavy beers are gone for me. This is one refreshing beer and the only fruit beer I like.

Samuel Adams has a huge winner in this brew. (703 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -62%

I'll admit I was disappointed when I learned the Blackberry Witbier had won over the coffee stout so I'll admit I'm a little biased in writing this review. However I decided to give the Blackberry Witbier another try and pick up a 6-pack. Plus, the purple labels are pretty unique.

Appearance: Cloudy, hazy gold, full white head. Looks like a witbier. Nice representation of the style.

Smell: An astringent berry smell. Quite unpleasant.

Taste: Medicinal, very much like cough syrup. Although I'm drinking it in January, this wouldn't be refreshing in the middle of summer.

Mouthfeel: medium body, difficult to keep in mouth very long due to the unpleasant taste.

Drinkability: Poor. I had a difficult time finishing 12 oz and was angry at myself for buying a six-pack.

Overall: I'm normally a huge fan of all things Sam Adams. Although many do not like the Cranberry Lambic or Cherry Wheat, I feel that they are have their place depending on the time of year (I really associate the Cranberry Lambic with the holidays). Perhaps Sam Adams was trying to create another fruit-forward refreshing offering for the summer months, but this is by far their worst offering. It just tastes too much like berry-flavored cough syrup. You may want to try a bottle for the novelty, but I wouldn't recommend wasting your money on a 6-pack. (1,332 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours hazy golden-orange with a thick creamy head that provides nice lacing.

Aroma is dominated by blackberry fruitiness, but there does appear to be a hint of earthy hop.

Taste is grainy wheat, blackberry, lemon and a touch of honey. Light spices make an appearance - notably nutmeg and coriander. Finish has a touch of earthy hop.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy.

Overall an acceptable fruit beer. The flavors are in better harmony than I had expected. I would like a little more beer flavor for a witbier. Still, the novelty is worth a try. (546 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured a golden yellow with some copper highlights, had a nice thick and creamier off white head, very sticky with lots of lacing.

The smell was all Blackberry.

The flavor was very mild with blackberry flavors and not much else. The beer flavors were so mild its just a spoonful of sugar off being a malternative.

The mouthfeel was light and creamy.

It wasn't bad, just lacking in the beer flavor part of the beer. (418 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -20.8%

Single, twelve-ounce bottle just purchased from Buy Rite on Oak Tree...
Appearance: Dark purple, night-shade hue... Minimal head, minor lacing... No carbonation present...
Smell: If you were judging by accuracy of smell, then this is the real thing that definitely reaks of blackberries... Strong odor present, with no real hints of any witbier... More like a fruit/vegetable specimen...
Taste: Blackberry soda all the way on this one... Witbier hardly... Definitely more of a unique fruit/vegetable beer... Heavy on the medicinal side...
Light mouthfeel...
Wouldn't want to drink more than one of these in a single setting...
More of a Summer-time fruity beer... (663 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -33.8%

Poored from 12 oz brown into standarn pint. Big head down to nothing with almost no lacing. Was not expectiung the yellow gold color was kinda hoping for a deep purple hue but oh well. It taste not so good kind of a berry mix but mainly standard witbeir. Not something I would pay for but as a freebie they are always good. (323 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +11.9%

Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier pours a hazy apricot colored body beneath a short head of white froth. When held to the light it's a glowing golden color and you can make out your fingers through the glass, but without detail. The head retention is limited and it drops readily to a thin collar. Lacing is wide but sparse, mainly made up of small spots with a few craggy lines here and there.

In the aroma it's clearly berrylike, but with a sugary edge. There's no tartness. There's a mild spiciness, which may be due to the blackberries as well as to the yeast and other spices.

The mouthfeel is medium; and it's very delicately zesty with a creamy edge, leaving it smooth with a mild bristle on the tongue.

The flavor is as the nose suggests with the fruit appearing up-front, followed by a combination of wheaty malt and underlying spice. It finishes with a swirl of fruit and spice that die down softly, and then lingers gently with a hint of grassy and floral hops.

At first the fruit is more apparent, but as it warms, the malt widens and becomes the stage on which the fruit and spice twirl. I was initially expecting a fruit beer, follwed by the idea that it would be a witbier with just a tiny hint of fruit. In fact, it falls right in between. It's not overdone, and you could have more than one, although I'm not sure how many occassions it would really fit in at. Still, it's pleasant and enjoyable. Nicely done! (1,429 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -21.7%

poured into a sam adams perfect pint glass. What the F&%*! this is orange (checks the label) it says Blackberry! whatever.

smell is nothing really some barley notes, a little sweetness from the berry.

taste is just not good. Really dissapointed in this beer. some blackberry but it's more like a berry muxture, with a little wheat flavor.

mouth is light, and leaves a strange annoying aftertaste, maybe on a hot day this would be more drinkable but I will never buy any. Glad I didn't buy this one. (501 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

The label indicates Brewmaster's collection - Blackberry Witbier 5.5% abv best before July 09. I am not sure if this is the same recipe. Poured chilled from the 12oz into a tumbler.

A - Slowly poured into the center of the glass it appears gently hazed w/ a dark golden shade. The cap is thick creamy and approximately 2.5 fingers w/ fine pin sized beading.

S - A prominent blackberry aroma w/ a mellow sweet malted wheat odor. It has a real fruit nose like opening a pack of berries from the produce aisle.

M - full malt texture and berry sweetness w/ a slight dry vinous note and mild spice

The flavor of wheat is the first the tongue receives, A mildly sweet blackberry essence is in the background , but not much yeast flavor mainly wheat and fruit - the spice is there, but muted in comparison to most wits. The fruit slightly echoes the tartness of biting a seed of a blackberry w/ wheat sweet malty flavor blends but the true wit taste isn't there.

D - A refreshing beer w/ mild fruit and enough taste to be worthy of the title blackberry wit. I guess it has more wit than ordinary wheat aspects since there is a spicy dry finish. I consider it a good beer, but only average drinkability overall (1,208 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -22%

One of the Beer Lover's Choicefor 2008

Poured from a bottle into a small sample cup.

Appearance is an amber color with a small shite head.

The smell is sweet and a little sugary, flavor of grape and a slight bitterness I could not place.

The taste is much the same. Sweet, fruity, with the strongest being grape. A little bitter aftertaste.

This was not a full beer so I will review this beer again in the future but at first taste it is not a beer I would have too often. (477 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed on 12/23/08. Bottle. Pours a clear light orange with a thick white head. Aroma of sweet cherries (yes cherries) and sweet fruits in general. Flavor of wheat malt with a slightly sweet/juice-like finish (a surprise given the aroma). Kind of bland actually. No spice presence that I can detect. This is one of those fruit beers that tastes like juice. Not a fan. This won a contest???
5/4/5/3/12 (2.9/5) (410 characters)

Presentation: Consumed at a recent private beer tasting. Poured from a 12 oz "sample" bottle into a small sampling glass.

A- Slightly hazy/ golden appearance with a thin white head which falls rapidly into a thin ring.

S- My initial thoughts were "Grape Bubblicious", but group consensus seemed to further pin this refined odor to "grape Big League Chew." I think this reminded me of my little league baseball days, so it gets a tiny push here.

T- Muted, slightly artificial fruity sweetness akin to that of the milk sludge at the bottom of a bowl of Fruity Pebbles. Odd, though not completely off-putting. Weird wheatiness.

M- Moderately high carbonation level.

D- OK. Too weird for me to want much of this.

Future outlook: A strange beer, to be sure. Not awful or disgusting, but certainly doesn't feel like a winner to be adding to the Sam Adams lineup. Haven't had my sample of Coffee Stout yet, but hard to imagine that it isn't superior.

*EDIT* Having now tasted the Coffee Stout, I finally DO understand how the witbier won....mildly shocked (and certainly disappointed) that SA put out two beers as lacking as these for their contest. (1,151 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -13.6%

Presentation: Thanks to DoctorDog for bringing a sample of this to a recent beer tasting. Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a small sampling glass.

Appearance: Pours with 1/4 inch of nearly white head. This settles quickly to just a ring around the glass. The beer itself is cider colored and cloudy. No sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Smells like grape Big League Chew.

Taste: Not as sweet as them smell, though the sweetness is still there. Fruity flavors with a very mild woody bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Average to slightly above average carbonation levle. Body is okay.

Drinkability: Meh, not a huge fan. Not a drain pour, but not a favorite. (665 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -35.9%

I tasted this along with the Coffee Stout for the America Votes on the next Sam Adams, and I sure as hell didn't vote for this.

I suppose it tastes like a blackberry and a wheat beer, but I am so perplexed why Sam Adams makes such quality brews and yet completely blows every fruit beer they do.

Unless you are a hardcore blackberry fan, a woman (most like fruit beers, not being sexist), or just adventurous, I would recommend against this beer. It has little body, an unattractive pour, tastes of sour blackberrys, and doesn't cut it.

The Coffee Stout was much better. (573 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -21.1%

12 oz bottle

Pours a very pale, transparent yellow color with a decent sized white head. The nose is nothing short of great, big tart blackberry aromas and soft, mellow wheat. The taste on the other hand is, to say the least, bad. Over ripe/rotten fruit notes that totally over powers any sort of wheat character the beer may have going on, at the same time it adds a synthetic sweetness that quickly becomes cloying. I could see how some people could enjoy this but, i drain poured it. (487 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Got a sample bottle from the representative. It seemed very tart to me, with a definite taste of the blackberries. It was a good brew if you like the taste of blackberry or berry fruit. The fruit seemed too overpower the taste of beer. Which is fine since the label says Blackberry Witbier. I would definitely stay away if you do not like the taste of fruit in your beer. (371 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -4.7%

Table and Vine held an event in which the Blackberry Wittbier (Wheat) was up against the Coffee Stout. I was able to sample both this afternoon. The appearance of the this one was pretty pale yellow with no real lacing or head. Aromas were the strong point for this drink. Deep blackberry aromas mixed with bready, wheaty textures. Taste and mouthfeel were a bit too watery. Although nice and light for a summery day, its strong blackberry taste (albeit weaker in comparison to the blackberry smell) did not really make this too refreshing or crisp. Overall, it had some potential, but it was definitely not balanced. (617 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -30.9%

Got this beer at Tank's Taproom during Beertopia. Sam Adam's coffee stout were being taste tested and voted on for the next brewmaster's collection.

Appearance is golden yellow with a small head that fully diminishes.

Smell is full of blackberry and wheat malts.

Taste is a sour mix of blackberry, blueberry, and wheat. Flavor is a bit unbalanced and some strong bitterness rings through on the back end.

Mouthfeel is thin and puckering.

This was a close second in the taste comparison but the coffee stout was a bit better. This wouldn't be a bad choice for a fruit beer but it wouldn't be my first choice. (627 characters)

firstprev| 601-625 | 626-650 | 651-675  | next → last
Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)