Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Blackberry WitbierSamuel Adams Blackberry Witbier

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-18-2009

Reviews: 671 | Hads: 1,617
4.32/5  rDev +28.2%

Served out of a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: light copper, cloudy, decent head retention

S: blackberry aroma

T: initial blackberry taste that lingers in the mouth, also has a wheat character

MF: good level of carbonation, smooth finish

Drinkability: a good beer to drink in the hot summer months. although i tend to shy away from fruit beers, this one i enjoy.

Serving type: bottle (402 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the better flavored beers. Pours and looks great. Aroma is pleasing and adds to anticipation of tasting it. To me it has just the right combination of balance. Taste of wheat that gives way to the berries without being sweet or overpowering. The berry flavor just barely lingers on the palate. This would make a great summertime beer on a hot day. Recommended. (367 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Yellow-orange straw color with nice white head and major lacing. Perfect Witbier style cloudiness.

S: Fresh blackberry scent and mildly spicy aroma.

T & M: Mildly sweet blackberry flavor and spiciness. Crisp light to medium bodied with a dry, slightly oily aftertaste.

I was worried after reading some of these reviews, but this is a great beer for the style. I am not a witbier fan, but I do enjoy berry flavored ales. This is exceptional for the style and I'll definitely try some again. (496 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I thought it was a pretty good beer. Its not a style Im going back to, but I like some of the fruit beers once in a while (Cranberry, Blueberry, etc.). Poured into a pint glass stolen from somewhere, an odd yellow, with a decent head that went away quickly. Tasted like blackberry, though not overwhelming at all, actually light. kinda thin and light for mouthfeel, but overall a pretty good beer, one I would try again. (420 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +26.7%

has a great golden amber appearance with a nice white soapy head.

The smell is good can pick up hops and blackberries both.

Taste has nice hop bit really smooth and bready with good blackberry background very tasty beer. some carbonation but not to much goes down smooth and easy to just drink and enjoy i really recommend trying this. (338 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%

Not typically a wit drinker, but I LOVE blackberries. I had to give this one a try. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy bright apricot color with a short, white 1 inch head that fades quickly to a lasting skim. Light, filmy lacing follows and bubbles of carbonation continuously rise from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Surprisingly filled with a definite but not overpowering blackberry scent, kind of like blackberry jam. Some powdery sugar and light biscuity malts accompany.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Really great carbonation spreads the flavors throughout the palate well. Mouth is light and slightly creamy. Blackberry is much subtler in the taste than in the nose. Lends a light tartness to the aftertaste, which also has a bit of sweet spice. The breadiness of the malts is very nice and really gives the taste some substance. Not as much yeast present in this as I usually find in wits (which is fine by me).

Drinkability: Very high - I definitely could enjoy several of these. Would make a great summer beer when there are fresh blackberries around to enjoy it with.

I'm actually really impressed because I know some people really hated this beer. I don't try a lot of Sam Adams (I think I take it for granted), but this encourages me to try more. It's really refreshing and light with satisfying subtlety that I don't get in most of my beers. After my initial review I grabbed some blackberries from my fridge, ate some, then took a drink. Definitely highlights the blackberry in the beer even more as well. Nice job, SA. (1,564 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Dark yellow/orange color, maybe amber. Cloudy but still very tasty looking. Good white, creamy head, holding up well. Light lacing.

S - Blackberry, orange/citrus smell, and just a lick of hops.

T - Mmmm. Just enough of a flowery, blackberry taste. Mixed with a little orange or maybe grapefruit flavor. A good hops bite towards the end

M - One of my favorites for mouthfeel. Just thick and creamy enough, perfect amount of carbonation.

D - Good. Very good. One of my favorite sesh beers now. 5.5%ABV is higher than some folks like but I think it's fine. I really enjoy this beer! A+++ (592 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A nice golden wheat color with a white head of probably about two fingers thick.
The aroma was of a nice berry that went along well with the beer, and it was noticeable across the table.
The taste, like the aroma had a nice taste of the berry that like the aroma went well with the hops flavor that is present in most Sam Adams
It was a very drinkable beer, went down easy and very savory, it was hard not to drink it quickly. (426 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +25.8%

Found this by accident at walmart of all places.

appearance: wow, nicest head on a beer that I've seen for a wile, 5 mins into it and still a full inch left of it, awesome lacing too. Dark yellow, cloudy , very nice looking

Smell:hmmm I was a bit turned off by the sour smell of this beer, there is a hint of berries in there that's not overpowering at all.

Taste: blackberry and some citrus, very nice aftertaste

Mouthfeel: perfect, very fizzy but somehow creamy at the same time

Drinkalbility: great beer for any time of the year

I didn't have much hope for this beer when I bought it, but I have changed my mind after just a few sips, don't let the berries scare you away, this is what Leinenkugel wishes they could do! (728 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I was excited when I got the e-mail about this beer. I like refreshing beers. Got a six pack the other week from the local beer store. The appearance was like a normal wheat beer, slight cloudiness. The smell was very faint blackberries. The taste is very good and not overpowering. Good beer and worth a try. (309 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +25.2%

Pours a nice dark gold/light copper color with some very nice head and lacing for a wheat beer. Excellent scent, starts sweet and malty and ends up with a nice blackberry scent at the end. Excellent taste, a nice wheat beer with a fantastic, and not overpowering, blackberry flavor; good crisp start and finish with a nice mellow (and even malt/slight hop) aftertaste. Goes down very well.

I am biased towards blackberries, as it's one of my top two fruit flavors, but this could've gone either way. Thankfully it went the good way. Nicely done BBC! (550 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +24.9%

(12 oz bottle into pint glass) Surprisingly I really enjoyed this one. I was afraid of the standard Sam Adams hoppiness overpowering everything in what should be a fruit beer, but it didn't! Poured a beautiful amber color with a small head that fell fast. The nose was very much of the fruit, but also a little bit of earthiness that prevented this from smelling like a fruit syrup, which is a downfall of some. this went down very smooth, with a nice creaminess and lively carbonation bringing out a lot of the fruitness in the beer. The trademark hops were present right at the end, giving the beer a nice crisp finish that was almost palate cleansing. great job on this one! (677 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +24.6%

A: Orange gold slightly cloudy body with a crisp white head.
S: Mainly blackberry, but also apple and sparkling apple juice.
T: Orange, blackberries, some barley and dark slightly roasted fruits. Small amount of wheat.
M: Medium body, not too sticky or syrupy.
D: A good session or food beer. Probably one of the best of fruit-added witbiers I've had. (351 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +23.4%

One of the first fruit flavored beers I've had that I could drink multiple of. A perfect blend of blackberry and wheat. Nice hints of citrus and spice.

Has a good off white head consisting of tight tiny bubbles. The beer itself is a nice orangey, copper color and is somewhat hazy.

I wish I could find this more often, it is delicious. (337 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Hazy straw color with a white head.

S: Lots of blackberry and a little wheat.

T: Berries come out at the start, followed by some wheat, finishing with a touch of fruity Belgian yeast esters, but blackberry is present throughout.

M: Medium-light bodied and smooth. Refreshing.

O: Sam Adams rarely gets the credit they deserve, and I think the same can be said for fruit infused wheat ales. Definitely recommended for fans of such beers. (443 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +23.1%

After the cranberry lambic fiasco I am wary about trying other Sam Adams fruit brewed beers but I will try anything once... Poured a hazy purplish color with a nice chewy look to it. Smelled of mild blackberries with some wheatiness. Taste was smooth as silk with a nice, not too sweet, blacckberry curtain with nice wheat esters and good balance. This is a sharp contrast to the cranberrry lambic. Reminiscent of Hoegaarten infused with blackberry and oh so quaffable. Cheers! (477 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +23.1%

Poured into Schells Weizen glass.

Pours a 2 finger head. Kind of think but sticks around for a good duration. Leaves thick splattered lace. Color is a slightly hazy sunset orange.

Aroma: I am feelin' the blackberries here. Very nice touch. The obvious wheat. Some hints of grapes.

Taste is heavy on the blackberries but I like it. Lemons and zest. Nothing wrong with this beer, just nothing to complex.

Mouthfeel is a little crisp, but that fades quickly. Then it becomes pretty clean. Easy to drink. Leaves a sticky blackberry aftertaste. Fairly-light bodied. Decent carbonation.

Overall, a damn good summer beer. I enjoyed this on a nice Fargo day and wanted more and more. I have a feeling I will be having this in my fridge all the time this summer. I highly recommend this. (783 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +22.8%

This was a very surprising beer for me. I'll normally do not like fruit flavored beers, the cherry wheat that Sam Adams makes I can't stand. There was something different about this one though, maybe because it was blackberry flavored, maybe blackberry is more what my pallet likes, I don't know. But this was a very good beer. A great beer for a nice hot summer day sitting out in the pack patio. Just when I think to right off Sam Adams they surprise me. (456 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a copper color, minimal head (maybe something with my glass).

Aroma, typical wheat aroma with defnite blackberry presence.

Taste is dominated by blackberry but it is very pleasant and not overdone.

mouthfeel is a bit thin, I would have preferred a bit more body.

Drinkability is very high, this would be a great session beer on a warm summer day.

Overall, highly enjoyable, not overly complex beer, a worthy addition to the beers of summer mix pack. (463 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +22.3%

The Sammy A Blackberry Wit is very nice and I am not normally a fruity beer type. The beer pours a hazy golden color with a 1 finger white foam head that dissipates into a thin foam film then ring. A medium amount of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Nice lacing left behind. Smells of blackberry and wheat with the blackberry very dominate. Has a sweet smell. Tastes of blackberry that is not nearly as sweet as the smell would indicate. A nice wheat taste on the backend really help balance out the sweetness. The mouthfeel is Medium to light bodied with a slighly creamy mouthfeel. Probably one of my favorite fruit beers. I would highly recommend this beer. (672 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +22.3%

A - Cloudy orange body with a moderate amount of carbonation. The head is pure white and bubbly.

S - The aroma of berries with the finishing touch of alcohol.

T - There is a real fruit flavor in this brew. However, I think the craftiness here that is so interesting is that the beer still tastes like beer.

M - The soft feel of the brew makes this go down fairly easy. The coarse feel that is evident is only felt on the perimeter of my mouth.

~ While I am not a fan of fruit beers I have to admit this is not at all bad. The fruit flavor is subtle enough that it doesn't overwhelm the true beer character. (611 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +22%

A- Very hazy dark orange color only a few bubbles.
S- Citrus, spices, wheat and a subtle amount of blackberry aroma.
T- Just enough blackberry it's not too much and not too little.
M- Very sessionable, perfect for a hot summer day.
O- A very nice offering from Sam Adams, the wheat and blackberry flavor are just right. (319 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

Appearance: above average carbonation, big head, cloudy, orange-yellow in color

Smell: blackberries, and florals--perhaps lilacs or lavender

Taste: It matches the smell to a tee, with some wheat thrown in

Mouthfeel: smooth, medium body, slightly sweet with a sweeter finish

Drinkability: I like this beer. I believe it is a very drinkable wheat. This beer takes me back to a good vacation on the Olympic peninsula with lavender and blackberries all around--so there is some personal prejudice...I am glad I got a six and not just a single. (543 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

(A) Pours with a nice head that takes some time to settle. Golden to bronze in color. Has some visible haze.
(S) Blackberry aroma. Reminiscent of the old school Otter Pops. Very sweet smelling.
(T) Wheat taste with a nice balance of blackberry. Some earthy tones to the flavor.
(M) Clean, crisp feel across the tongue.
(D) This would be a great summer, mowing the lawn, BBQing beer. Too bad it's February! (405 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

12 oz. bottle into glass pint.

40°F

$9.99 / 6 pk.

S: Sweet blackberry, but not overpowering, over a wheat back bone. Just what the bottle describes.

A: cloudy copper to orange body topped with a big medium tight rocky head that leaves excellent lacing and ample cover.

T: Surprisingly well balanced. A classic wheat beer with the faintest blackberry up front and lingering after. Inhaling the off gas is like juice.

M: Light body with medium carbonation. Creamy with just a bit of bite helping it finish crisp.

D: Very refreshing and an excellent pairing with chicken. Goes down easy. The only drawback is the berry may wear on the palette.

O: I went into this with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. I should have known better than to question Jim Koch. (775 characters)

Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)