Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Blackberry WitbierSamuel Adams Blackberry Witbier

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-18-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,615 | Reviews: 675
4.1/5  rDev +24.6%

(A) Pours with a nice head that takes some time to settle. Golden to bronze in color. Has some visible haze.
(S) Blackberry aroma. Reminiscent of the old school Otter Pops. Very sweet smelling.
(T) Wheat taste with a nice balance of blackberry. Some earthy tones to the flavor.
(M) Clean, crisp feel across the tongue.
(D) This would be a great summer, mowing the lawn, BBQing beer. Too bad it's February!

4.1/5  rDev +24.6%

12 oz. bottle into glass pint.

40°F

$9.99 / 6 pk.

S: Sweet blackberry, but not overpowering, over a wheat back bone. Just what the bottle describes.

A: cloudy copper to orange body topped with a big medium tight rocky head that leaves excellent lacing and ample cover.

T: Surprisingly well balanced. A classic wheat beer with the faintest blackberry up front and lingering after. Inhaling the off gas is like juice.

M: Light body with medium carbonation. Creamy with just a bit of bite helping it finish crisp.

D: Very refreshing and an excellent pairing with chicken. Goes down easy. The only drawback is the berry may wear on the palette.

O: I went into this with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. I should have known better than to question Jim Koch.

4.1/5  rDev +24.6%

i really love wheat beers. this one is right up in there. smooth with a nice berry finish. in the past i drove about 8 miles to a store that carried this, however they just built a store close to my house that carries the blackberry witbier. this makes me very happy- the beer itself is very refreshing and delicious, its one of my altime favorites.

4.1/5  rDev +24.6%

I'd been looking for this ever since I read about it in the last edition of Beer Advocate. I'm a big fan of fruity Wheat beers in the summer. Picked up a six of this during my latest visit to my local beverage store.
A - Pours a nice golden misty yellow. Not as unfiltered as I usually enjoy them but not unpleasant either.
S - The fruit in this is right up front. There is no mistaking the fact that there are some berries mixed with this brew.
T - It's pretty good, could use a little more Wheaty-ness, the taste is similar to a UFO Raspberry Hefe which is one of my other favorite summer brews.
D - I could drink this all day long. I put three of them back while grilling a nice stake this afternoon. I could easily drink these all day long (until I passed out) on a hot summer day.
M- Enough body to make it enjoyable. It's a well done brew from Sam Adams.

I don't think that enough people gave Sam's their due when it comes to their seasonal and imperial brew series they certainly are a step above.

I mentioned that his was similar to a UFO Raspeberry hefe, I would certainly take a UFO over this but I would drink either if given the opportunity.

4.09/5  rDev +24.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a wheat beer glass. Funny, I thought I'd reviewed this before!

This brew pours a slightly hazy deeper golden color crested with two fingers of head. Lacing and retention are good. The aroma is awesome, some realistic blackberry notes over a firm wheat backbone. The taste on this brew is smooth blackberries (not too sweet, not too tart) with some slight citrus aspects and an easygoing wheat backbone.

The mouthfeel is nice, it's very smooth and highly carbonated. The drinkability, of course, is off the charts. That's what a well-done fruit addition will do. A great fruit beer from Sam Adams and one that I'm glad is widely available. Berry much better than Cherry Wheat.

4.07/5  rDev +23.7%

Am intrigued by "fruit" beers and love blackberry so I had to try it. Poured into a pilsner glass and inhaled the blackberry aroma. As stated by others, not a lot of head, lacing minimal and dissapears rather quickly, but the taste was awesome! I agree it had a rather thin mouth-feel but it was refreshing and went great with some Mexican food I was having. I found this at World Market and I could see this as only being available in niche markets. I will buy this again if I can find it!

4.07/5  rDev +23.7%

2 bottles courtesy of the summer mix pack. Poured into a pint glass.

Cloudy golden particles suspended in the liquid. Some foam, eventually none. Blackberry smell jumps out and holds sway. Tartness opens the taste, and builds into a balanced fruit malt taste. Citrus close.

Good carbonation, nice blend, good use a fruit, blends nicely in the wit.

4.07/5  rDev +23.7%

Live review. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Brewery Ommegang Witte goblet. Purchased at Heinen's in Willoughby Hills, Ohio for $1.50. "Best by" stamp of November 2009 on the side of the label.

A One inch near white head over a yelow/brown body that resembles a light caramel color, a cloudy body. 3.5

S Nice light fruit and wheat beer smell that is pleasant, inviting. 4.0

T/M Nice light fruit taste carries over from the smell and this has a welcomed smooth feel to it that I did not expect. 4.0

D Very good. This is refreshing, smooth, tasty. 4.5

Notes: another in the "Brewmaster's Collection" from Sam Adams. This one is solid.

4.06/5  rDev +23.4%

Appearance: Cloudy honey colored beer with a thin head that leaves lacing on the side. The head disappears in about a minute.

Smell: Malt and blackberry, reminds me of blackberry pie, which I love. Excellently fragrant.

Taste: Sweet flavor followed by the taste of blackberry, ending with a hint of orange.

Mouthfeel: Its light and crisp, but I would want it to be thicker. Maybe its because it smells like pie, and I love pie. Otherwise, very enjoyable.

Drinkability: A dessert beer. Sip and enjoy, but more than one might overwhelm you.

4.05/5  rDev +23.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a traditional glass. Freshness date of November 2010.

Appearance- 4 out of 5. This beers pours a cloudy, coppery yellow-red color. The white one and a half finger head eventually settles to a half finger and leaves a moderate amount of lacing. It doesn't have any obvious signs of the blackberries in its color, but it doesn't look much like a typical Witbier either.

Smell- 4 out of 5. The scent is well-balanced between citrus, sweet wheat malt, and fruit. It has sweet overtone that really reminds me of some sort of berry-flavored candy. The slightest hint of mild spice drifts at the end of the whiff.

Taste- 4 out of 5. The taste is not as balanced as the smell, but it's still good. I pick local wild blackberries throughout the Summer, and I can attest that the blackberry taste is genuine and not artificial or syrupy. Its sweetness is subtle, with obvious fruit in the taste followed by hints of citrus, coriander, a little vanilla, and mild hops at the end. Wheat and blackberries mingle in the short-lived aftertaste. There's practically no real taste of alcohol in the wash of other flavors.

Mouthfeel- 4.5 out of 5. This beer sits comfortable on the border between light and medium. It's crisp with a bit of tingly carbonation making its way down the tongue.

Drinkability- 4 out of 5. I had heard mixed reviews about this beer, but I'm very pleased with it overall. It's not particularly complex, but it's not one-dimensional either. With the pleasant flavor and 5.5% ABV, it would be easy to knock back quite a few of these.

4.05/5  rDev +23.1%

This beer is fun and different than the usual, get the blackberry going, light, relatively smooth easy drinking beer. I wouldn't want to have more than a few, or buy a case of it but I'd buy a six pack and throw it in the mix every so often. Not too strong of a fruity taste, subtle but you know its there.

April 30, 2010

A - Drank out of bottle so could only see that it was fairly clear.

S - A light scent of blackberries.

T - The taste of blackberries is enjoyable and not over powering.

M/D - The carbonation is relatively low which helps with the taste of blackberries and helps with drinkability.

Overall this is a great beer in my book and would seek out again. The price is also reasonable

Served - Cold in Bottle

12oz bottle in pint glass

A: Clear, dark gold color with no hint of wit haziness, medium white head with a little lace.
S: An obvious berry smell, I would not have said blackberries if not for the label. A slight spiciness in back but not a wit.
T: Tastes a little like a wit with a berry fruitiness on top. The wit spices are more apparent on the back of the tongue/ after you swallow. I was worried that the berries would make a sweet mess, thankfully that is not the case.
M: Highly carbed with a medium level of body (a little more than I would expect for the style).
D: A very nice summer beer, especially good for someone who is not a hop fan but doesn't want a big malty beer. Not sure I would purchase again, but I would happily drink one if a friend handed it to me. Not a true wit, but worth trying.

4.04/5  rDev +22.8%

A: The color of colonial maple wood. (look it up)

S: It smells of plum and cherry... Maybe thats what blackberry really smells like, I guess I wouldnt know for sure, but my nose says cherry and plum. very nice smelling.

T: A lot of flavor up front. You get hit by the fruit tastes all at once, and they're heavy feeling too. Slowly you have some wheat creep up. All wheat finish, and then its a dry floral aftertaste that is satisfying.

M: Light, and crisp. Which is what a witbier should be.

D: This has session beer written all over it.

4.04/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A- Pale golden in color, about a 1/2 inch of head, which quickly dissipates.

S- Smells sweet. Very fruity, like black raspberry ice cream. Also a hint of hops in the form of a flowery aroma.

T- A pretty sweet beer. The blackberry really comes through as the dominant trait. The blackberry fades away after sipping, leaving the taste of the witbier behind. Very nice balance of flavor.

M- A light beer thats a bit coarse. The carbonation is heavy, but appropriate and welcome in this kind of beer.

D- Pretty drinkable on the right occasion. This would go well with a Thanksgiving meal or a savory dish.

4.03/5  rDev +22.5%

bright, deep straw color. decent, ice white foamy head. nice. lacing.

smells of, yep, blackberries. not too fruity. almost sour in a good (aprihop) way

taste is good, not quite 'too' sweet. thankfully the sweetness is a quick tart blast then fades.

mouthfeel is well above average....crisp and creamy.

very drinkable alone or with this killer garlic and toasted apricot pit (poor man's almond) crostini i just made!

slight edit: upped the appearance and mouthfeel. a really admirable fruit brew.

4.02/5  rDev +22.2%

Despite what the berries may lead you to believe, this is a quality beer by Sam Adams.

A: A darker golden color lends this beer a nice character.

S: Blackberries galore, along with other spices and some hops. Definite malt character

T: The taste is surprisingly reserved for a fruit beer. The blackberries dominate the smell but have a reserved role in the taste. They add a bit of a tart that wouldn't otherwise be there to compliment the hops. There's also plenty of malt to go around.

M: About medium, not too much carbonation, which I like.

D: I went back and changed my rating on this after comparing to more fruit beers. This stuff is really quit drinkable.

I got this beer as part of a Sam Adams sampler and was so impressed that I bought a 6-pack. I'm really digging this particular beer. It's pretty drinkable, and the blackberries make it just overall very pleasant to drink without ruining it. I've tried some other fruit beers where the fruit just ruins whatever else is in the brew, and this is not the case with the Sam Adams.

4.01/5  rDev +21.9%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice.

The beer is a cloudy gold in color with a a horrible white head that is thin and lasts no time at all. There is very minimal lacing, if any.

It smells very sweet, the overwhelming smell is berries, though I wouldn't say blackberries. I also detect a hint of orange and spice.

The tatse is where this beer succeeds. It is a very mild sweet taste with a nice light spice at the end. This is a pretty good beer you can drink all night long.

12oz bottler obtained at Shaw's Supermarket in Derry, NH. pours a hazy golden color with about an inch of off white head. scents of blackberries immediately hits the nose with the scents of malt and vanilla in the background. tastes of blackberries immediately hit the palate with vanilla and cracker taste from the malt. medium bodied and moderately carbonated. light and easy drink and very flavorful. Two Thumbs up!

Cheers!

Light, golden, hazy. Two fingers of white head with a little bit of sporadic lacing.

Smell is crisp, citrusy, with some sweet fruitiness, and slight tart.

Taste is definitely blackberries up front, with a hint of tart (from the berries and citrus flavors alike imo). It's pleasant, and I'm pleasantly pleased!

Feel is crisp, clean, fairly carbonated. Light in body too.

This turned out to be a nice deviation from the norm, and a surprising favorite out of my (slightly dated) summer sampler!

Finally picked up the Sam Adams summer sampler at Meijer. Leave it to Sam Adams to make a good fruit beer. (after the Cranberry Lambic fiasco, they owe us one) IMO fruit beers are too often desert beers. Not so in this case. Smell and taste have just the right amount of fruitiness. Well balanced, but fruity sweetness overides just enough. It's a good beer.

Got a sixer of this from Shop Rite Liquors in Rochelle Park.

A: Pours a hazy, straw yellow body with a one-finger, white head with very good retention and lacing.

S: A nice, bittersweet, blackberry smell with some slight, sweet wheat notes with slight honey.

T: A nice, subtle blackberry taste with a complimenting sweet malt taste. A fairly dry finish, most likely due to the blackberries, with some slight honey notes in the aftertaste.

M: A light-bodied, crisp beer that was very refreshing. A nice beer for the warmer months.

D: A great mouthfeel and taste combo makes this beer very drinkable. A very good warm month beer and definitely a solid blackberry brew.

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a Belgian tulip glass.

A: Pours a clear golden-orange hue with a thin, 2-finger, white head that quickly dissipates into a wispy lace.

S: Fruity blackberry aroma with a zesty

T: Sweet tart fruity ale. Dominant flavors of blackberry and other dark fruits.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: This is a solid fruit beer. I like the blackberry flavor – refreshing and tasty.

I know I'm greatly overrating this beer compared to others but I really did enjoy it.

I bought a 12pk Sam Adams Sampler from Woodman's in Janesville, WI for about $9 in late summer 2010.

While it's called Blackberry Witbier I can't quite find the blackberry in taste or smell. It does pour a golden yellow color and drinks very similar to a wheat beer like Bud's Golden Wheat, except this as a much fuller taste. Something smooth enough to drink 3-4 of and enjoy.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A - Pours a semi-tranparent copper/orange with a very small head. Minimal lacing to be seen.

S - Blackberry for sure, but I also am getting some rasberry and cherry in it. No hops detected. Some citrus.

T - Again, I get blackberry, but I get a big orange taste in there as well. Some nice spices as well, little bit of cloves and nutmeg. Nice summer flavor here.

M - Light bodied with high carbonation, very crispy and wonderful drying.

D - This is actual better than I had hoped for, perfect summer sipper for a hot day.

Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)