Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series)Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series)

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Doppelbock |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 02-07-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) Alström Bros

Well it’s been a LONG time since we have drank a beer. It’s funny, I have been traveling so much we truly have not had time to drink. Well, we have time to drink, but as I always say, this projects lets us drink with a purpose. Anyway, we are back and we had some time this afternoon to write. (I say that as I am about to head to work!)

Today we are drinking a Samuel Adams Double Bock. I have had Sam Adams (what I call them) several times, and their beers are always solid. But this one is part of their Imperial Series. I know that every time I drink an Imperial beer… I am always impressed. Anyway, this one is a Double Bock (following suit for a traditional doppelbock), a German style beer. Speaking of this type of beer, what is it with the goat? All of these beers have a goat on them somewhere. Oh well, let’s drink.

In the Glass: In the glass, it’s thin and has a subtle head. You can’t really see through it, but it doesn’t appear to be that thick of a beer. If I had to say the color, I would say a penny… something with a deep copper color. The head, even when you swirl it around the glass, remains thin.

Nose: This beer smells AMAZING. Oh man, this is one of the most powerful noses that I have ever smelt. It starts sweet, then ends with a bit of oxidation on the back of the nose. It smells wet, and you can pick up the hints of alcohol that this big beer (nearly 10% ABV) has in it. I am sure once I taste this beer, the alcohol will scream at me. Let’s see what this beer tastes like.

Flavor: When a beer has a strong nose, it rarely follows up without the taste. This beer does. Oh man, the taste is amazing, and just as the nose changes on the front of the nose to the back, the flavors change as it goes from the front of the palate to the back of your throat. It starts fresh, and has an almost citrus flavor at first. As it moves back the palate, it becomes dark, smokey, and almost gives you a burnt caramel flavor by the time it finishes. Speaking of the finish, it lasts for a long time. The aftertaste (which I will get to) is consistent and lasts for a long time.

Mouthfeel: The beer, in the glass, doesn’t appear to have a thick nature, but in the mouth it has a subtle thickness to it. Not molasses, but close. Considering how it smells, to how it tastes, I almost want to leave it in my mouth for a while. I can tell that the longer this beer sits, and the closer it gets to room temperature, the better this brew will taste.

Aftertaste: It’s still there! I tell you, a good beer has a solid nose and a great mouthfeel. This beer offers all that, and has the taste to back it all up. This beer is one of the best beers I have had in a long time, and the aftertaste isn’t going anywhere. It’s a big beer, thick a thick IPA, and would go well with red meat or nuts. The aftertaste is thing, but it sticks around for a good three to five minutes after each drink. I bet this beer would be good on tap too.

I have to say, this beer is amazing. I rarely rank a beer this high, but it’s one of the best beers I have had all year. I just had an Ass Kisser Double IPA… and this blows that out of the water. (The Ass Kisser is one of the most popular double IPAs on the market, and has won several awards over the years.) This beer smells great, tastes great, and leaves my mouth wanting more. I am thirsty after each drink, as it leaves the mouth dry… but who cares? It’s delicious, and I just want another drink! Bottoms up people.

Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)