Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series)Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series)

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Doppelbock |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 02-07-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) Alström Bros

1.75/5  rDev -55.4%

2.14/5  rDev -45.4%

Pours a hazy deep amber to copper color with a light tan head. In the aroma, a small roast, a small nuttiness, and dry alcohol. In the taste, a dry alcohol stands out with a small, sweet nuttiness. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry nuttiness and alcohol hint in the aftertaste. Alcohol just stands out way too much and not really balanced.

2.16/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12oz poured into bock glass.

A---It poured mahogany with red hues and a thin white head.

S---Esters, green apple and late malt.

T---Malty, hot alcohol, fruity yeast and cider aftertaste.

M---Medium bodied.

D---It was more ale like then a lager. It tasted like it was fermented hot. I have no interest in trying the 07 batch again.

2.23/5  rDev -43.1%

Served in a mini snifter.
Appearance-Redish mahogany, appeared a lot lighter in color than Double Bock's that I am used too.
Smell- malty smell but not as malty as I would expect from a double bock.
Taste- notes of caramel and lots of malt, malt however is not burnt malt.Booziness does shine trough a bit.
Mouthfeel- Full Bodied, thick.
Overall- I did not buy this beer. Someone had bought it for me whith out knowing what kind of beer's I prefer. I do not normally gravitate towards Double Bock's but I have had several over the years and I usually end up comapring them all to ayinger celebrator double bock which this beer pales in comparison to.

2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

2.26/5  rDev -42.3%

Brownish amber with a 2 finger white head.

Smell is hay and a tad bit of roast.

Cloyingly sweet. Just pure malt sweetness, with a slightly bitter roast end.

I know it's supposed to be a doppelbock and really sweet and malty and all, but this takes it to another level. Other doppelbocks are sweet, but also incredibly drinkable. I just can't imagine drinking very much of this in a sitting.

2.34/5  rDev -40.3%

I can't stop myself from down-rating this beer. It takes a special beer drinker to love it, and I'm not that person. It poured with a nice reddish, brown color and not with much foam. The smell was of sweet candy, caramel, alcohol and maybe some grapefruit aqnd chocolate. The taste was VERY sweet, almost like soime licorice syrup, and with the alcohol coming strongly through. It's way too sweet for my taste and quite far off my ideal double bock mark (like Weltenburger). The alcohol is too dominat as well. It reminds me of a really bad Danish beer I got before X-mas and poured in the sink.

2.48/5  rDev -36.7%

Pours a clear medium amber color with a nice buttery head and good lacing.

Smells of malt, sugar, fruits, and maybe a hint of vanilla?

Wow this is sweet! This is too sweet even for me, and I like em sweet. Tastes extremely malty, with caramel, dark sugar, and harsh alcohol. Hops are there somewhere, but overpowered by the sweetness. Bitterness comes more from the alcohol than hops.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy.

I'm not too impressed by this one. I'm starting to think maybe I'm just not a fan of bocks in general.

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%

Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)