Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series)Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series)

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Doppelbock |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 02-07-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) Alström Bros

1.75/5  rDev -55.4%

2.1/5  rDev -46.4%

Pours a hazy deep amber to copper color with a light tan head. In the aroma, a small roast, a small nuttiness, and dry alcohol. In the taste, a dry alcohol stands out with a small, sweet nuttiness. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry nuttiness and alcohol hint in the aftertaste. Alcohol just stands out way too much and not really balanced.

2.1/5  rDev -46.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12oz poured into bock glass.

A---It poured mahogany with red hues and a thin white head.

S---Esters, green apple and late malt.

T---Malty, hot alcohol, fruity yeast and cider aftertaste.

M---Medium bodied.

D---It was more ale like then a lager. It tasted like it was fermented hot. I have no interest in trying the 07 batch again.

2.2/5  rDev -43.9%

Brownish amber with a 2 finger white head.

Smell is hay and a tad bit of roast.

Cloyingly sweet. Just pure malt sweetness, with a slightly bitter roast end.

I know it's supposed to be a doppelbock and really sweet and malty and all, but this takes it to another level. Other doppelbocks are sweet, but also incredibly drinkable. I just can't imagine drinking very much of this in a sitting.

2.2/5  rDev -43.9%

Served in a mini snifter.
Appearance-Redish mahogany, appeared a lot lighter in color than Double Bock's that I am used too.
Smell- malty smell but not as malty as I would expect from a double bock.
Taste- notes of caramel and lots of malt, malt however is not burnt malt.Booziness does shine trough a bit.
Mouthfeel- Full Bodied, thick.
Overall- I did not buy this beer. Someone had bought it for me whith out knowing what kind of beer's I prefer. I do not normally gravitate towards Double Bock's but I have had several over the years and I usually end up comapring them all to ayinger celebrator double bock which this beer pales in comparison to.

2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

2.3/5  rDev -41.3%

I can't stop myself from down-rating this beer. It takes a special beer drinker to love it, and I'm not that person. It poured with a nice reddish, brown color and not with much foam. The smell was of sweet candy, caramel, alcohol and maybe some grapefruit aqnd chocolate. The taste was VERY sweet, almost like soime licorice syrup, and with the alcohol coming strongly through. It's way too sweet for my taste and quite far off my ideal double bock mark (like Weltenburger). The alcohol is too dominat as well. It reminds me of a really bad Danish beer I got before X-mas and poured in the sink.

2.4/5  rDev -38.8%

Pours a clear medium amber color with a nice buttery head and good lacing.

Smells of malt, sugar, fruits, and maybe a hint of vanilla?

Wow this is sweet! This is too sweet even for me, and I like em sweet. Tastes extremely malty, with caramel, dark sugar, and harsh alcohol. Hops are there somewhere, but overpowered by the sweetness. Bitterness comes more from the alcohol than hops.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy.

I'm not too impressed by this one. I'm starting to think maybe I'm just not a fan of bocks in general.

2.4/5  rDev -38.8%

The color of this beer is an amber with a brown haze to it. The smell of this beer is of booze and roasted caramel malts. The taste is of overpowering caramel and booze. This is not a balanced beer. Mouthfeel is slightly thick, and little to no carbonation. A sipping beer.

2.45/5  rDev -37.5%

I picked up a bottle of Samuel Adams Double Bock a couple weeks ago for $2.49 at The Lager Mill. I haven't tried anything from Samuel Adam's imperial series before, so since this was on the singles shelf I decided give their Doppelbock a try and see how it stacks up to the other ones I have tried. There was no visible bottling date but I am sure this is a 2011 vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label on this beer looks good and the picture of the goat is drawn well, I still don't get the deal will most Doppelbocks having a goat theme on the bottle. It poured a nice deep and dark mahogany color with some nice red/copper hues when held to the light. It had two fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed the rest of the time.

S- This beer has a really strong malt dominated aroma. It starts off with some caramel, toffee and dark fruit aromas with some some grainy biscuit like aromas. It has a big amount of sweetness in the nose that gives it a brown sugar and candied sugar like aroma along with a slight presence of alcohol and a slight amount of earthy and grassy hops.

T- Wow this is one malt heavy beer, I believe this could be called a malt bomb. It starts out with tons of malts that impart a pretty robust caramel flavor along with some toffee and dark fruits. The malts are slight biscuity and heavy on the sweetness, too much so for my taste. The sweetness tasted like a heavy mixture of brown sugar and candied sugar, to me the sweetness was cloying and it was immediately followed by a pretty big alcohol presence that just seemed way too boozy for 9.5%. The finish had a medium amount of bitterness along with some warming alcohol burn.

M- It was sticky and it had a thick syrupy like body that was just to thick and cloying. Carbonation was on the low side of medium but it seemed to suit this beer just fine.

Overall I thought this Doppelbock wasn't that good and it had too many harsh qualitys for me to like. As far as sweet Doppelbocks go this is up there with being one of the sweetest Doppelbocks I have had to date and combined with the lack of hiding the 9.5% of alcohol made for a beer that was pretty hard for me to get down and not all that enjoyable. I don't mind sweetness and booze in a Doppelbock and I have come to expect it from this style, but balance is the key and this beer showed hardly any balance. What I liked most about this beer was the look, it had great color for a Doppelbock, what I liked least about this beer was it's unrefined and unbalanced taste, it was just too sweet and boozy. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I'll stick with my go to Doppelbock, Celebrator. I wouldn't recommend this beer to anyone, unless sweet and boozy is your thing, it's not hard to find a much better Doppelbock. I find this beer to be a swing and a miss for Samuel Adams, it lacked the balance and refinement that better Doppelbocks have, this beer needs a good amount of tweaking to be good, it's just too rough around the edges. I still want to try their Imperial Stout but this beer made for a bad first impression for Samuel Adam's Imperial Series. This is the second worst Doppelbock I have had with Primator still remaining the worst to date.

2.48/5  rDev -36.7%

Okay- I'm going against the grain here. I poured this one into a pilsener glass at about 45 deg. It looked really nice with a rich cherry color and moderate carbonation. Head was kind of lazy but hung around a while. The smell had me anticipating rich malts with sugary aftertones. Then I tasted it. I still haven't figured out how you can make a rootbeer float look like beer. Sam did it here. Everything about this beer including the hops is drenched in sugary syrup. Mouthfeel is sticky sweet. On the plus side the alcohol is well hidden (again drenched in syrup) making the drinkability average.

2.48/5  rDev -36.7%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a pretty deep auburn color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit on the malty side. Taste is big on alcohol, consider using a shot glass for this one. Some malts come through after the initial alcohol burn. Feels medium bodied and very strong in the mouth and overall I felt the alcohol dominated this beer.

2.48/5  rDev -36.7%

Poured this into my Sam Adams Sensory Glass (of course!) and produced a quarter inch head that dissipated almost immediately on top of a nice brown body. Not much carbonation evident in the brew and no lacing during the drinking period.

Aroma consisted of a sweet malty scent followed up by a sweet soy sauce smell.

Flavor felt flat - a slight caramel malt sweetness followed up by a alcohol kick.

Mouthfeel was medium-full mainly due to the fact that there didn't seem to be much carbonation. The flavor was very fleeting and not very complex on the palate.

Easy to drink because it feels light on your palate but this beer just felt too flat. I wish there was more punch to it and a stronger maltier flavor rather than a weak malt prescence followed up by the alcohol burn. Maybe I got a flat one - there is another bottle left in my 4-pack but if that one tastes the same way, then I'm sure I will not try this brew again.

Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)