Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series)Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series)

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Doppelbock |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 02-07-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours very dark brown with off white head. My initial impressin was this tasted like a stout, then the big malt profile and sweetness came through. Lots of burnt carmel. Maybe a tad too sweet. Not alot of hops or bitterness. Very drinkable for a strong one.

daledeee, Mar 02, 2004
3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured out a dark copper/ruby color with some head that later on laced nicely around the glass. Mainly malts hit the nose first, with some caramel and some roasted aromas in there for good measure. Taste is quite huge. Quite honestly, it's almost like corn syrup. Quite sweet at first then some hops (but very little) is mixed in for the balanced portion of the beer. Very nice. So creamy and smooth. Finish is quite dry with some roasted flavors at the very extreme end. The 8.45% is hardly detected. Another winner from Sam Adams.

necoadam, Feb 29, 2004
4.55/5  rDev +15.8%

Appearance: Dark red with some brown highlights. The tan is decent, light tan with teeny tiny bubbles. It slowly fades to a sticky lace.

Smell: Very thick and malty aroma with a beautiful hop presence and a nice alcohol spicy kick to finish it off.

Taste: Very beefy. A very well balanced flavor. Malt and hops are right up front, then alcohol and just when you think it is finished the malt comes back around for another go. The aftertaste leaves you fairly clean. This is fantabulous!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is very meaty. It is nice and thick and coats the tongue. The carbonation is very tight and works well with the alcohol to tingle the tongue.

A great beer. This should be a year round offering. Not all that drinkable because of the ABV however.

Ellbert, Feb 26, 2004
3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

Wow, this is one beer that I certainly expected to enjoy more than I did. I'm a sucker for these malty, sweet, big beers, and this Sam Adams offering looked like it would hit the spot for sure. It's a seasonal beer, and I haven't really seen it in my area very much this year. Fortunately I have a friend at work who hooked me up with a couple of bottles, and I was glad to get them.

Problem is....it wasn't all that great for me. Most disappointing was the initial appearance. It poured with nary a head at all, and it looked weak and uninviting right off the bat. Caramel colored, it let plenty of light through when I held it up to the lamp. It looked thin, not a good sign for a doppelbock. Not much nose, either, another bad sign. It smelled faintly malty and sweet, but I wanted to get more from it.

The taste saved it for me to some degree. It was very sweet to start with, as a good doppel should be. Bready overtones took over before the hops added the requisite bitterness on the back of the palate. The alcohol gave it a nice warming effect, but the sweetness almost became cloying after about two-thirds of the way through.

Thin mouthfeel. Good carbonation, though. The ABV probably wouldn't lend itself to sessionability, but it was drinkable for the most part once I got past the measly appearance.

I gave both samples a go, hoping that I had gotten a slightly off bottle on the first run, but it was no different the second time around. I have never seen such a swing between how a beer looked and how it tasted. I wish this beer had profiled better. I wanted a big, creamy, frothy, chewy beer, but it wasn't in the cards. Compared to Spaten Optimator or Celebrator, this was not the best of breed. I'll pass on this one next year.

Dubblebock, Feb 25, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -7.6%

Double bock reminds me of living in Philly between New York and Washington D.C. Not one or the other. Give credit to BBC for a flavorful Double Bock. This excellent 12 oz. pour (5/5) is ruby, dark, and brown. Nix the bubbles and land-ho! for huge, sticky mountain range head. BA brownie points. The website tells of an eight month shelf life. My bottle had an Oct. notch (assuming 2003) which means that this was prime for the picking.

At first, there was no aroma; nary a sweet, caramel hints at best. As it warms, alcohol pervades and sweet burnt toast escapes. You do not have to be a "dark" fan to appreciate this complexity. This is a deceivingly good beer.

She's complex, with toffee, can’t decide dark or burnt [two-row as per website] malt. Buisquick dry, pancakes.

Aftertaste is long & narrow down the tongue middle, sour black grape, black cherry hints, [1/2 lb. of Malt per bottle] roasty smoked flavor. This is no Skull Splitter, but if you like this flavor, see Skull Splitter reviews *** Skull Splitter highly recommened *** Also, bready Pumpernickel bread is in the house.

Full bodied in the kisser. Dig the 8.45% abv. Toasty. Liquid bran cereal.

As far as the sometimes overdone Winter Brews, in comparison, this is a decent drinkablity level. Smooth even velvety [ok, that is from the website]. Last sips: Someone hit spellcheck. Awl-kee-hawl hits. Eight month shelf life? Check in with me Halloween '04. Well see if that makes a major life altering diff.

Not sure on price, but beer is good. Happy beering.

blitheringidiot, Feb 24, 2004
4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

I’m glad to see this beer in the stores again.
Pours a deep reddish-hued brown. Minimal head and an intense malt aroma. Taste is sweet and malty, with a candy-like character. Molasses with a soft doughy mouthfeel. Alcohol follows through, and provides a pleasing warming sensation. Finishes sweet and malty.
Overall, it’s a wonderfully tasty brew from BBC….enjoyable and well-crafted. I’d say it’s a tier below a world-class dopplebock, but still well worth a try.

Suds, Feb 22, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

Beware the Double Bock. That's what I should have been telling myself before I proceeded to drain the entire sixpack. This was my first doppelbock, and man did it kick me hard. I was so enamoured with the wonderful, sweet malty flavor that I forgot to comprehend the effects of 8.45%.

Double Bock pours a nice coppery color. The malty aroma is slight compared to the flavor. There's a lot of good cookie dough sweetness here. Perhaps even molasses cookies?

This is a really nice beer that seems to be readily available during winter months. It provides a great balance of good taste for a good price. Dive in if you haven't already. Just don't feel compelled to drink more than a few in a sitting.

kwalters, Feb 16, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +15.3%

Ruby red, tan rocky head. Pleasant nose of malts, caramel, candy, perhaps french toast? Up front, a syrup feel, some corn syrup and somewhat creamy. Touch of alcohol presence throughout, medium malt based body. Maintains a rich, borderline chewy malty body, with caramel, molasses and biscuity/toasty offerings. Quite complex, quite tasty. As she warms, nearly a full bodied doppelback, with a definitive warming effect. Clearly one of the best BBC products, and worthy of a top 5 nomination in it's class. Are you kidding me? A mass-marketed seasonal produced 'beer' with deep flavoring and a high ABV? Rack em'. And, get this bad boy on shelves year round!

GeoffRizzo, Feb 14, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

Served from a 12 oz. longneck bottle with month of NOV notched-out.

Crystal clear reddish-copper appearance with fine bubbles cat- tailing vigorously upward to form a light-khaki colored 1/2 inch head. Awesome lacework.

Complex malt with black pepper. Gave it a good swirl to release the carmel and dark fruit jam notes.

Flavors of creamed coffee with fruity malt. Black pepper once again, but with a gingerbread dusted with powdered sugar element in there as well. Graceful and muscular malt foundation. Med-full bodied with a fantastic rounded finish.

Stellar mouthfeel. VERY fine carbonation that prevents the heavy malt from becoming cloying. Playful and kinetic, but still solid and silky.

I bought a single bottle to sample only, really wish I would have bought the 6 pack - I'd be pouring another right now. Highly drinkable, especially with a below zero wind chill.

Sam Adams has really changed my opinion with what they are able to bring to the table, primarily with bigger malty beers. I enjoyed this much more than the August Schell bocks, along with more famous imported bocks. How does 'Samuelator' sound?!

malty, Feb 14, 2004
3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

At first it looks black, but held to the light it is more of a very dark red, topped with a thin tan head.
Very malty aroma, filled with dark fruit (cherry) and brown sugar.
Again the taste is robustly malty, toasted/roasted and sweet. Dark pumpernickel or rye bread, molasses, chocolate, caramel, some apple.
Full taste, and full syrupy thick body, pours with a liquor type viscosity. I couldn't drink too many.

mschofield, Feb 09, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

I found the double bock to have sacrificed some of the complexities of the style, to provide a more generally drinkable beer. While I appreciated the chocolate and scant fruit notes, the brew isn?t as complex in flavor as it could have been. I appreciated the way the beer shrouded the typical alcohol flavor, but wonder if the presence of alcohol on the palate is what allows bocks to achieve their typical depth of flavor.

AllThingsNinja, Feb 08, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

I am a sucker for this beer. It pours a nice garnet hue with a fluffy tan head. Malty aromas abound letting me prepare myself for what's in store. Total malt goodness rich creamy chocolatey caramely goodness. This is a true no brainer for any beer lover.

jtw5877, Feb 08, 2004
3.28/5  rDev -16.5%

This is a decent beer but not my favorite dopplebock.

Pours a clear walnut color, with minimal head. Aroma is a bit off... smells faintly like cherry liqueur.

Taste is almost cloying; I confess a sweet tooth, but this reminded me of overly-rich devilsfood with thick, syrupy cherry filling. There is a good chewy malt presence, but it seems like an afterthought. Alcohol is nicely hidden even if it's taking refuge behind piles of sugar.

I think a little more roasted malt flavor could rescue this brew. It tastes a bit too processed, too junk-food-ish, if you will.

shirfan, Feb 08, 2004
3.93/5  rDev 0%

Pours a clear dark copper with a blanket of white head.

Smells of a high level of sweetness.

Taste is candy sweetness to the max. It isn't too slutty but it is definitely pushing the boundary. To put it in musical terms, it's not rushing but it's playing on top of the beat.

Mouthfeel is quite full and coating. Syrup is not too thick to describe it but it's full.

Also made for a great marinade on my Sirloin this evening!

Overall it's a little too sweet to be really drinkable but it's not overwhelming.

Jables, Feb 07, 2004
3.6/5  rDev -8.4%

This Double Bock poured a very dark brown with traces of copper with a nice head. There was little lace. The aroma was malty, with traces of caramel and chocolate, and some hop bouquet. The taste was smooth and malty with elements of chocolate and caramel. There was also some hop bite. It was neither too sweet nor too carbonated. The finish was basically dry and not too exciting. Overall not too bad, and I may give this beer another try since my tastes are changing and some SA beers are becoming more appealing to me now then they have in the past.

genaro, Feb 06, 2004
2.8/5  rDev -28.8%

Very very sweet. Maybe the sweetest beer I've ever had. Quite rich. Too much for my taste. I don't taste any hops, and I can't say I really enjoy this one. Chocolate cherry syrup comes to mind (with some alchoholic kick). maybe dopplebock is not my favorite style. It might be good- its just too much and too concentrated for me to really enjoy. Huge candy sweetness is not my thing, but if it's yours - this might be good.

jwilli7122, Feb 04, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +13.2%

Thanks Ohio for bringing this 8.45% abv in. First time I saw it I bought it, and im running back for more!! It pours a very nice dark ruby/amber. The head is tan, soft, pillow like that laces great, rings & sticks. The taste is a rich, semi-sweet dose of smokey malt with a alcohol background and a hint of hop. The mouthfeel is silky smooth, creamy and soft. The abv is higher than your typical sam but still a good drink, slow and easy, with winters chill and foods.

chilidog, Feb 01, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +12%

I'll admit, I have a particular affinity towards Sam Adam's Double Bock. Two years ago, it was one of the first beers I've ever had that showed me a deeper world of beer that inevitably led me to become a beer advocate. Though because it is a seasonal, this is the first time I've been able to resample it. So fond memories keep me from being too critical.

Pours a golden red with billowy white head. Smell is of hops and sweetness. Taste is malty and complex, an excellent sensation of carbonation combined with heavy, malty goodness. The malt characteristic evolves from being overly sweet at first to becoming somewhat bitter by the time I swallow. I highly recommend this beer to someone who wants to find more in the world of beer. It worked for me!

RocketWidget, Feb 01, 2004
2.85/5  rDev -27.5%

Finally tracked this down. It looked dark and mysterious when I poured it out kind of thick like used motor oil. Dark brown appearance with some reddish highlights. Thick light brown head develops when poured roughly. Very faint malt aroma with slight fruity alcohol mixed in. Taste was dissapointing with no hop flavors noticed, just slight caramel malt flavors. Very little alcohol flavors that are indicitive to this style and it supposed 8.45% abv. Only thing going for it was the molasses like mouthfeel and it didn't have any offensive flavors. Too sweet and somewhat cloying for me to actually enjoy more than one. I'll stick to the more tastier Optimator for about the same price.

Longstaff, Jan 29, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

The beer poured a crystal clear deep amber brown. The head was compact and off-white, almost tan. It fell back quickly and did not lace the glass.

The aroma is fruity and alcoholic. Some deep caramel malt aromas and an alcoholic raisin aroma.

The flavor is sweet and then alcoholic. The flavors of dark fruits are present, namely raisins. There is also a dark caramel flavor in the sweetness and a substantial bitterness to back it all up.

The finish is slightly sweet and then goes into a pleasant fruity dry alcoholic burn. The body is slick and medium full.

I like this beer, but the alcohol is a bit high to have a great drinkability.

12 ounce bottle. Purchase before October (no year on bottle)

GCBrewingCo, Jan 23, 2004
3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

good looking beer poured from the 12 oz bottle, dark reddish coffee color with a thick, stiff head that diminished some as I drank the beer. The aroma was all malts, sweet, but not cloying. The taste was deep, sugary and a little like the pan drippings from a good, slow cooked roast. The beer has a chewy full mouthfeel that goes down smooth. A bit of alcohol notes at the end that linger on the back of the throat. A nice beer from SA

counselor, Jan 15, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

Appearance: A healthy reddish brown. No head, however. I tried to force one but even that didnt work. Maybe it's this new glass I got, but I poured a beer into it yesterday and got crazy head like I've never seen before.

Smell: Alcohol and a little malt.

Taste: A pretty strong alcohol taste for the ABV. So many beers have higher percentages and don't even show a trace of the alcohol. There is an undercurrent of malt followed by a heavy malt aftertaste. If the alcohol would give up a little ground, the malt could come through right upfront like it's supposed to.

Mouthfeel: A little tingly from the alcohol.

Drinkability: I could throw back a few of these with relative ease, but they would knock me on my ass.

It reminds me of a good malt liquor.

BeefyMee, Jan 14, 2004
3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

A reasonably priced double bock from Samuel Adams, this beer comes on a little thin when you first take it out of the fridge. However, after the poor breathes and warms up to room temperature the flavor really starts to come alive. There is a burnt sugar flavor on the onset. After a few seconds it grows into a warm combination of deep caramels and fruit. Finishes surprisingly clean and the aftertaste is a little short for this beer. I was expecting a little more body to this double bock but it was overall a very delicious beer.

GuinnessSmurf, Dec 16, 2003
4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

Double bock poured a big tan head. along with that a dark ruby body that is so thick it barely moves when you shake the glass. Tastes of caramel and slight coffee. Very heavy beer, and strong. This was my last one from last year, almost a year after it was bought. Better than ever.

BigPapaLager, Nov 29, 2003
3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Had a black brown body with a nice 1" head sour fruit initial smell but then started getting coffee biscut molasses and carmel. My palate seemed overwhelmed by the multitude of flavors that exploded on first taste.sweet cream dark fruit chocolate all very bold and a port wine alcohol taste jumps right in. Also a winderful chewy texture. Wonderful stuff

grynder33, Nov 15, 2003
Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)