Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series)Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series)

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Doppelbock |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 02-07-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) Alström Bros
4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

I’m glad to see this beer in the stores again.
Pours a deep reddish-hued brown. Minimal head and an intense malt aroma. Taste is sweet and malty, with a candy-like character. Molasses with a soft doughy mouthfeel. Alcohol follows through, and provides a pleasing warming sensation. Finishes sweet and malty.
Overall, it’s a wonderfully tasty brew from BBC….enjoyable and well-crafted. I’d say it’s a tier below a world-class dopplebock, but still well worth a try.

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Beware the Double Bock. That's what I should have been telling myself before I proceeded to drain the entire sixpack. This was my first doppelbock, and man did it kick me hard. I was so enamoured with the wonderful, sweet malty flavor that I forgot to comprehend the effects of 8.45%.

Double Bock pours a nice coppery color. The malty aroma is slight compared to the flavor. There's a lot of good cookie dough sweetness here. Perhaps even molasses cookies?

This is a really nice beer that seems to be readily available during winter months. It provides a great balance of good taste for a good price. Dive in if you haven't already. Just don't feel compelled to drink more than a few in a sitting.

4.52/5  rDev +15.3%

Ruby red, tan rocky head. Pleasant nose of malts, caramel, candy, perhaps french toast? Up front, a syrup feel, some corn syrup and somewhat creamy. Touch of alcohol presence throughout, medium malt based body. Maintains a rich, borderline chewy malty body, with caramel, molasses and biscuity/toasty offerings. Quite complex, quite tasty. As she warms, nearly a full bodied doppelback, with a definitive warming effect. Clearly one of the best BBC products, and worthy of a top 5 nomination in it's class. Are you kidding me? A mass-marketed seasonal produced 'beer' with deep flavoring and a high ABV? Rack em'. And, get this bad boy on shelves year round!

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%

Served from a 12 oz. longneck bottle with month of NOV notched-out.

Crystal clear reddish-copper appearance with fine bubbles cat- tailing vigorously upward to form a light-khaki colored 1/2 inch head. Awesome lacework.

Complex malt with black pepper. Gave it a good swirl to release the carmel and dark fruit jam notes.

Flavors of creamed coffee with fruity malt. Black pepper once again, but with a gingerbread dusted with powdered sugar element in there as well. Graceful and muscular malt foundation. Med-full bodied with a fantastic rounded finish.

Stellar mouthfeel. VERY fine carbonation that prevents the heavy malt from becoming cloying. Playful and kinetic, but still solid and silky.

I bought a single bottle to sample only, really wish I would have bought the 6 pack - I'd be pouring another right now. Highly drinkable, especially with a below zero wind chill.

Sam Adams has really changed my opinion with what they are able to bring to the table, primarily with bigger malty beers. I enjoyed this much more than the August Schell bocks, along with more famous imported bocks. How does 'Samuelator' sound?!

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

At first it looks black, but held to the light it is more of a very dark red, topped with a thin tan head.
Very malty aroma, filled with dark fruit (cherry) and brown sugar.
Again the taste is robustly malty, toasted/roasted and sweet. Dark pumpernickel or rye bread, molasses, chocolate, caramel, some apple.
Full taste, and full syrupy thick body, pours with a liquor type viscosity. I couldn't drink too many.

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

I found the double bock to have sacrificed some of the complexities of the style, to provide a more generally drinkable beer. While I appreciated the chocolate and scant fruit notes, the brew isn?t as complex in flavor as it could have been. I appreciated the way the beer shrouded the typical alcohol flavor, but wonder if the presence of alcohol on the palate is what allows bocks to achieve their typical depth of flavor.

4.48/5  rDev +14.3%

I am a sucker for this beer. It pours a nice garnet hue with a fluffy tan head. Malty aromas abound letting me prepare myself for what's in store. Total malt goodness rich creamy chocolatey caramely goodness. This is a true no brainer for any beer lover.

3.23/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a decent beer but not my favorite dopplebock.

Pours a clear walnut color, with minimal head. Aroma is a bit off... smells faintly like cherry liqueur.

Taste is almost cloying; I confess a sweet tooth, but this reminded me of overly-rich devilsfood with thick, syrupy cherry filling. There is a good chewy malt presence, but it seems like an afterthought. Alcohol is nicely hidden even if it's taking refuge behind piles of sugar.

I think a little more roasted malt flavor could rescue this brew. It tastes a bit too processed, too junk-food-ish, if you will.

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a clear dark copper with a blanket of white head.

Smells of a high level of sweetness.

Taste is candy sweetness to the max. It isn't too slutty but it is definitely pushing the boundary. To put it in musical terms, it's not rushing but it's playing on top of the beat.

Mouthfeel is quite full and coating. Syrup is not too thick to describe it but it's full.

Also made for a great marinade on my Sirloin this evening!

Overall it's a little too sweet to be really drinkable but it's not overwhelming.

3.6/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This Double Bock poured a very dark brown with traces of copper with a nice head. There was little lace. The aroma was malty, with traces of caramel and chocolate, and some hop bouquet. The taste was smooth and malty with elements of chocolate and caramel. There was also some hop bite. It was neither too sweet nor too carbonated. The finish was basically dry and not too exciting. Overall not too bad, and I may give this beer another try since my tastes are changing and some SA beers are becoming more appealing to me now then they have in the past.

2.85/5  rDev -27.3%

Very very sweet. Maybe the sweetest beer I've ever had. Quite rich. Too much for my taste. I don't taste any hops, and I can't say I really enjoy this one. Chocolate cherry syrup comes to mind (with some alchoholic kick). maybe dopplebock is not my favorite style. It might be good- its just too much and too concentrated for me to really enjoy. Huge candy sweetness is not my thing, but if it's yours - this might be good.

4.43/5  rDev +13%

Thanks Ohio for bringing this 8.45% abv in. First time I saw it I bought it, and im running back for more!! It pours a very nice dark ruby/amber. The head is tan, soft, pillow like that laces great, rings & sticks. The taste is a rich, semi-sweet dose of smokey malt with a alcohol background and a hint of hop. The mouthfeel is silky smooth, creamy and soft. The abv is higher than your typical sam but still a good drink, slow and easy, with winters chill and foods.

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'll admit, I have a particular affinity towards Sam Adam's Double Bock. Two years ago, it was one of the first beers I've ever had that showed me a deeper world of beer that inevitably led me to become a beer advocate. Though because it is a seasonal, this is the first time I've been able to resample it. So fond memories keep me from being too critical.

Pours a golden red with billowy white head. Smell is of hops and sweetness. Taste is malty and complex, an excellent sensation of carbonation combined with heavy, malty goodness. The malt characteristic evolves from being overly sweet at first to becoming somewhat bitter by the time I swallow. I highly recommend this beer to someone who wants to find more in the world of beer. It worked for me!

2.87/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 2.5

Finally tracked this down. It looked dark and mysterious when I poured it out kind of thick like used motor oil. Dark brown appearance with some reddish highlights. Thick light brown head develops when poured roughly. Very faint malt aroma with slight fruity alcohol mixed in. Taste was dissapointing with no hop flavors noticed, just slight caramel malt flavors. Very little alcohol flavors that are indicitive to this style and it supposed 8.45% abv. Only thing going for it was the molasses like mouthfeel and it didn't have any offensive flavors. Too sweet and somewhat cloying for me to actually enjoy more than one. I'll stick to the more tastier Optimator for about the same price.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

The beer poured a crystal clear deep amber brown. The head was compact and off-white, almost tan. It fell back quickly and did not lace the glass.

The aroma is fruity and alcoholic. Some deep caramel malt aromas and an alcoholic raisin aroma.

The flavor is sweet and then alcoholic. The flavors of dark fruits are present, namely raisins. There is also a dark caramel flavor in the sweetness and a substantial bitterness to back it all up.

The finish is slightly sweet and then goes into a pleasant fruity dry alcoholic burn. The body is slick and medium full.

I like this beer, but the alcohol is a bit high to have a great drinkability.

12 ounce bottle. Purchase before October (no year on bottle)

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

good looking beer poured from the 12 oz bottle, dark reddish coffee color with a thick, stiff head that diminished some as I drank the beer. The aroma was all malts, sweet, but not cloying. The taste was deep, sugary and a little like the pan drippings from a good, slow cooked roast. The beer has a chewy full mouthfeel that goes down smooth. A bit of alcohol notes at the end that linger on the back of the throat. A nice beer from SA

3.47/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A healthy reddish brown. No head, however. I tried to force one but even that didnt work. Maybe it's this new glass I got, but I poured a beer into it yesterday and got crazy head like I've never seen before.

Smell: Alcohol and a little malt.

Taste: A pretty strong alcohol taste for the ABV. So many beers have higher percentages and don't even show a trace of the alcohol. There is an undercurrent of malt followed by a heavy malt aftertaste. If the alcohol would give up a little ground, the malt could come through right upfront like it's supposed to.

Mouthfeel: A little tingly from the alcohol.

Drinkability: I could throw back a few of these with relative ease, but they would knock me on my ass.

It reminds me of a good malt liquor.

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

A reasonably priced double bock from Samuel Adams, this beer comes on a little thin when you first take it out of the fridge. However, after the poor breathes and warms up to room temperature the flavor really starts to come alive. There is a burnt sugar flavor on the onset. After a few seconds it grows into a warm combination of deep caramels and fruit. Finishes surprisingly clean and the aftertaste is a little short for this beer. I was expecting a little more body to this double bock but it was overall a very delicious beer.

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

Double bock poured a big tan head. along with that a dark ruby body that is so thick it barely moves when you shake the glass. Tastes of caramel and slight coffee. Very heavy beer, and strong. This was my last one from last year, almost a year after it was bought. Better than ever.

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Had a black brown body with a nice 1" head sour fruit initial smell but then started getting coffee biscut molasses and carmel. My palate seemed overwhelmed by the multitude of flavors that exploded on first taste.sweet cream dark fruit chocolate all very bold and a port wine alcohol taste jumps right in. Also a winderful chewy texture. Wonderful stuff

This beer pours a dark copper color that is brilliantly clear. It is topped by a thin tan head that fades to a layer of tan foam. The aroma is all sweet malt and caramel, with a touch of alcohol. Upon taking the first sip, well actually a gulp, I squinted my eyes and my head twitched. There's a lot of alcohol in this beer, and it warms the throat as it goes down. Second taste was more appropriately sized, and I discovered a very sweet beer, with a thick biscuit malt taste. A bit of hops seems to show up in the finish, but the alcohol dominates the finish and aftertaste. This is an evening sipping beer, definitely not a session beer of any type. The mouthfeel is somewhat full, but not bold enough for the alcohol. This beer does little to hide the ABV in comparison to many imperial stouts and Belgian beers with similar alcohol levels. The drinkability is good, but suffers a bit due to the overpowering alcohol notes. Maybe this will mellow a bit in the bottle. I'll come back to it in a month or two. Regardless, it is a good beer, but not one of my top higher gravity brews.

** 7-2-03, Revisited**

After four months of aging, the beer has mellowed and is much more drinkable. Alcohol sweetness has subsided, but still not all that smooth. Maybe another 4 months will help it out a bit.

** 11-11-03, Revisited**

Although not planned, I opened another bottle, about 4 months after my last one (see above). It has mellowed, has better flavors and drinkability. Chocolate notes are much more pronounced. Should have saved a whole case for a year or more.

3.76/5  rDev -4.1%

Heavy malt concoction....seriously creamy full-bodied and well-rounded smoky and patent taste. The alcohol sneaks up on ya'. The absolute lack of a head bvrought it's appearance down, but the mouthfull rights it for counterbalance. The best Sam Adams beer I've been able to get ahold of in Texas. As a matter of fact it can almost fool you into believing it's a German import. This dooblebock's aboot a hoondred times better than that Shiner "Bock-it's-not" we got down in these parts.

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%

I needed a warming, tasty brew on this longest of days and I am glad I got it. Reviewing this beer in October after storing it for a few months makes me look forward to more of its kind: hearty, robust, and warming beers of winter. Can't wait.

Pours an amber brown with a thin veil of white lace. Aromas of very sweet malt and alcohol. Almost candy-like in the nose, but the alcohol reminds you this is still a wondrous beer to be savored. Sweet malts up front lead to a smokey middle with notes of caramel. Finishes on the sweet side with a nice warming alcohol effect. Warming and delicious. This beer is here to let you know BBC/Sam Adams still puts out some damn fine brews.

3.6/5  rDev -8.2%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle. The color is a dark amber, with good head. The smell is a very sweet malt. The taste is very sweet, with malty, nutty, molasses hints to it, and a bit of an alcohol finish. Mouthfeel is heavy, but acceptable. Drinkability-wise, with this much sweetness, it would be tough to have another.

Though the really sweet dopplebocks aren't my style (I like the drier Salvator), this is a bock that stands up amongst the best. Sam Adams bashing is a popular pastime amongst beer lovers, and sometimes it's earned, but they also have to be given full credit for the fine beers they put out, and this is certainly one of their best!

This was a pretty good intepretation of a doppel in my opinion. All the qualities were there. Strong tan head coupled with a ruby body infused with brown, but by no means opaque. Smell was very alcohol ridden but had some great crushed grain tastes and some clove and caramel puching about. Taste was very syrup like with tons of caramel and chocolate along with a high octane punch coupled with maple syrup and honey. Not a very big hop presence on this one. Very good beer.

Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)