Samuel Adams Brick Red - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Brick RedSamuel Adams Brick Red

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Irish Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: fitzy84 on 03-03-2009

Ratings: 410 | Reviews: 72
Reviews by Kyrgyzbrewer:

Stopping at the America exhibit in Epcot for a beer. This was on tap. The server said it was only offered on tap, and only in Boston and Disney. Good beer.
Ruby red color, thick tan head, a good deal of lace. Very pretty.
Sweet, malty, caramel aroma.
Very much caramel malt taste, a hint of cherry.
The malt makes it to be on the heavier side, but it was a very nice beer.

4.1/5  rDev +10.5%

I like to get this occasionally at restaurants since I live in Boston. Can't get in bottles or cans, only on tap in/around Boston. Very solid beer.

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

Had on tap at Union Ale House

Appearance: clear, red-brown in color, 1/4 inch head, medium carbonation

Smell: toasted malt and caramel

Taste: toasted malt, caramel, small citrus hops in the back

Mouthfeel: moderate carbonation and body, nice balance between sweet and bitter

Drinkability: A hoppier Boston lager...A very good beer that I could sip all day. One of Sam Adams better offerings and one of the better I have had in the style.

4.29/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As far as I still know you can only get this in Boston. I had this on my trip to Boston in '11. Can't remember the bar name but it was right by the Oyster House.

Second Favorite Sam Adams beer next to Noble Pils. If you can only get this on tap around Boston, I suggest getting it and you won't regret it.

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

Nothing really stands out about this Irish red Ale. Note that almost everyone that reviewed it reviewed it as a "on tap" because I don't think they bottle it. I was in Boston around Labor Day 2011 and I had the pleasure of going to FJ Doyles in Boston, which is the bar that Boston Beer Company (Sam Adams) provides free trolley service to after the tours.

The beer was a red color and the taste was fitting of a red ale. Descent amount of head on it but nothing stood out other than the fact you can't buy it in bottle form and it's rare to see anywhere. Not bad with some Chowder. On par with Killians Irish Red.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

I had a pint of this at the Green Dragon last weekend in Boston. After I asked the bartender what it was, he told me that Sam Adams decided to do a one-off for the brick bars on the street, or something like that. I know it's a one-off at least, so I had to try it.

Appearance: A copper-ruby combination, with an off-white head that sticks around the edges and that's it. Little retention.

Smell: Mild citrus hops and fruit esters. A bit of caramel. Balanced, but not a lot to be descerned.

Taste: A bit of caramel, earthiness, and fruit esters are going on mostly. Mild citrus on the back-end with the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with crisp carbonation.

Drinkability: An above-average and drinkable red, but nothing more.

3.11/5  rDev -16.2%

On tap @ the tasting room in the Boston Brewery.

Poured a deep amber-reddish color with a dense head. The aroma almost killed this beer for me, very medicinal, almost like cough syrup. Luckilly, the flavor makes up for it, with bready and toasted malt flavors dominating (I didn't detect any camramel malt sweetness like some other reviewers), with a hint of roasted barley flavor. Ends with a firm (but not obtrusive)hop finish.

Pretty authentic take on an Irish Red, unfortunately the horrible aroma brings the drinkability down in my book

3.7/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

For my bachelor party, my pals took me both to Doyle's and the Sam Adams tour. At both places, the Brick Red (which they said was released Thursday, Feb 26th) was being served. The tour guide described the drink as being similar to the already aptly named Sam Adams Irish Red Ale. From memory, this drink was much darker than the Sam Adams Irish Red Ale (hence the "brick" name). A frothy head with some decent lacing was also noticed in both the sample cup and glass I had at Doyles. Aromas of malty spice were noticeable. A sharp malt sweetness was enjoyable prevalent in the drink. Other flavors included hints of hops, toffee and bread wrapped in the roasty crispness of the carbonation. Overall, if you are in the greater Boston area, you should try this up while it lasts.

On-Tap into pint glass.

Clear mahogany color wit a one finger tan head that settles to a thin cap. Light caramelized sugar with a strong toastiness. More toasty grain and caramel with a little dark fruit, which is slightly bitter, maybe the hops.

This was a very enjoyable Irish Red, not sure how close to the style it was but nevertheless very malty and smooth.

3.71/5  rDev 0%

I tasted this at the Sam Adams brewery tour.

A: brick red color, good clarity, two-finger head with adequate head retention.

S: malt sweetness, smoky note, caramel, some floral hops.

T: very well balanced, plenty of caramel malt and a little smokiness up front, the floral hops mingle with the sweetness in the middle, and the finish is gently bitter with some lingering sweetness.

M: middle-weight, medium coronation.

D: a very pleasant English style red ale. I could spend an evening drinking these.

3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

I had this beer when we went on the tour at the BBC in Boston. The beer was a nice golden yellow color with a very thick head. The smell was pretty average. Got a bit of malt and tiny bit of hops. The taste was pretty average. To me it was like a watered down version of the Boston Lager. The Mouthfeel was nice. I got a good amount of crispness. Overall this beer is perfect for what it is meant for (local bars and restaurants). It isnt the best beer in the world, but I love the meaning of this beer.

2.92/5  rDev -21.3%

I tried this beer on tap at Cheers on my last trip to Boston on the advice of my server. She said it was only available in Boston and at Disney World, so I ordered one.

The beer poured a beautifully clear dark brick red color from which it takes its name. Despite just a rim for a head, the beer left some decent lacing.

Unless my nose was off, I couldn't smell much of anything. Just a faint caramel malt aroma, and you really have to sniff hard to get that.

Flavor wise, the pale malts and caramel really come through, but the biggest surprise was how bitter this beer was. I'm not sure what hops were used, but there has to be a boatload of them in here. They don't just balance the beer - they overwhelm it. In this case I think it was too much of a good thing. I would have preferred less hops and more malt for this style beer, but that's me. If you're a hop hound you may fall in love with this one. For me, it was just OK, but give them credit for coming up with something absolutely unique.

The beer leans towards full bodied but with crisp carbonation so it doesn't feel so heavy.

While not one of my favorites, I would still recommend trying it once just because I haven't tasted anything else quite like it.

3.4/5  rDev -8.4%

had on tap at flann o'briens. pours a brick red color with very thin lacing. cold tap, so that could be why. fairly faint smell, a little malty. again, this could be because of the temperature. nice toasted malt flavor, though a bit thin. not a lot of hops.

a pretty standard irish red. nothing to write home about, but worth a try.

3.07/5  rDev -17.3%

I had this at the Cheers set bar in Boston. Served in a dimpled Cheers mug.

Appearance: I'll admit this is a nice looking beer. Pours a reddish dark amber with a finger of thick off white head that leaves some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Mild smell overall. I'm picking up some bready malt along with a slight sweetness.

Taste: Mild malt and slightly bitter from the hops. There is also a slight nuttiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: The malt profile is nice. This is an alright beer, but not particularly interesting.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

I saw this on draft at a number of bars in boston and had never seen it before. I wasn't even sure what type of beer it was. Irish Red makes sense. This was ok. As with all of Sam Adams' beers it was very solid and good. But, as with many of their beers, not altogether outstanding. Good amber/red color, nice carbonation, very drinkable. This is one of those beers that's always the most interesting choice among a small selection of marcros

3.84/5  rDev +3.5%

Dark coppery red, "brick red," if you will. Small white head that dissolves into a steady skim.

Smells of light floral hops and rich, toasty malt. Tastes that way too: black forest cake toasty malt with a wet, fall fruit balance and noble hop back.

A great beer without being flashy. One of my favorites by SA. Very similar to their Irish Red.

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

On-tap 12/8/10 at British Beer Company in Walpole, MA, served in a Samuel Adams "perfect pint" glass.

A: The beer is a dark reddish brown color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is kind of faint but contains caramelized malts, some hops, some honey and some citrus.

T: The taste starts with a hearty mal character and then sweet flavors of honey, caramel and some citrus. The hops presence is decent for the style and brings a good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, good representation of style, it might not be the best beer in the style but it's decent enough to be worth drinking for a while.

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On-tap at the Union Oyster House in Boston.
Deep red color, short tight head. Good retention and spotty lace.
The smell has a good balance of hops and malts.
The taste also is nicely balanced, actually had a bit more hoppy finish than I was expecting.
The mouthfeel is quite creamy smooth, vey drinkable, medium body.
Another good beer, pretty good example for the style, a nice surprise.
apparently only available in Boston, part of Sam Adams charity program.

4.16/5  rDev +12.1%

I came across this while stuck in Boston during a snow storm, and I was immediately pleased to have found it.

I haven't had many reds to compare it to, but I know I liked this one. The flavor was good and well balanced, in line with what I have come to expect from Sam Adams.

It had a clean after taste and a definite drinkability. I didn't want anything else while I was in Boston.

3.69/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer is only available on tap in the boston area. Its not in every bar either so you have to look around for it. Its got a great color a deep brick red color (hence the name). Its got a nice malty sweetness to it with a mild hop finish. Its a great red ale and one of sam adams best beers in recent times.

2.75/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I have had this a couple of times now, and nothing special. I consider it below average.

3.52/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on-tap at Anthem Kitchen & Bar in Boston, MA

A: Pours a clear darker reddish amber in color with some moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some garnet red highlights. The beer has a half finger tall thin light beige head that quickly reduces to a medium patch of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of caramel malts and toasted malts along with some faint notes of grassy and earthy hops.

T: Upfront there are moderate flavors of toasted and caramel malts with just a slight hint of sweetness. Very light flavors of grassy and earthy hops contribute just a hint of bitterness which fades quickly.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly crisp with just a hint of dryness in the finish.

O: This was an OK beer but kind of what I have come to expect from Sam Adams - nothing too risky, fairly safe recipes that would appeal to gateway craft beer drinkers. I'm glad that I happened to find this on tap while visiting Boston for the weekend because otherwise I would not have had the opportunity to try it.

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

Some stringy lace from nearly a non-existent head; Deep ruby color and absolutely clear.

Mild smell--virtually nothing. What I can detect is very neutral.

Far more bitter than I expected. Good malt flavor which means its well-balanced. The aftertaste is short lived. Full bodied with a proper level of carbonation. Overall, a decent Red.

4.18/5  rDev +12.7%

I've always found "Irish Red" ales and lagers to be a bit bland but Sam Adam's does it again, I really liked this. Had a nice malty smell and drank very smooth and had kind of a sweet aftertaste, very tasty . Brick Red is the perfect description of the color because it was a deep, dark amber/red color. I really hope this gets marketed and is in stores, it'd be one I'd pick up on occasion that's for sure. It went really well with the buffalo wings I had.

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a pint glass at Milky Way in Jamaica Plain.

This pours a dark amber with very little head. Initially I get a bit of caramel, and a malty sweetness to the aroma. The first thing I notice in the taste is that this beer is quite tart, but balanced with caramel, and a toasted hops finish. This beer has a nice medium body, that goes down quite smooth.

Sam Adams has an interesting take on the irish red - and a pretty good one at that.

Samuel Adams Brick Red from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)