Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Samuel Adams Brick Red - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Brick RedSamuel Adams Brick Red

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Irish Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: fitzy84 on 03-03-2009

2.66/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I believe this is only available in Massachusetts, but if you are in the great city of Boston, you would be better served by trying another craft beer that you can't get in your home state/country.

2.92/5  rDev -19.1%

I tried this beer on tap at Cheers on my last trip to Boston on the advice of my server. She said it was only available in Boston and at Disney World, so I ordered one.

The beer poured a beautifully clear dark brick red color from which it takes its name. Despite just a rim for a head, the beer left some decent lacing.

Unless my nose was off, I couldn't smell much of anything. Just a faint caramel malt aroma, and you really have to sniff hard to get that.

Flavor wise, the pale malts and caramel really come through, but the biggest surprise was how bitter this beer was. I'm not sure what hops were used, but there has to be a boatload of them in here. They don't just balance the beer - they overwhelm it. In this case I think it was too much of a good thing. I would have preferred less hops and more malt for this style beer, but that's me. If you're a hop hound you may fall in love with this one. For me, it was just OK, but give them credit for coming up with something absolutely unique.

The beer leans towards full bodied but with crisp carbonation so it doesn't feel so heavy.

While not one of my favorites, I would still recommend trying it once just because I haven't tasted anything else quite like it.

2.96/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

The body on brick red is what the name suggests: a very, deep dark red that is almost marroon, bordering on brown. A slight off-white head leaves one or two spots of lacing.

There is not a ton of any kind of aroma on this one, but what is there is a toffee like malt aroma.

The taste is more flavorful. Pretty much all big malts though. Lots of toffee and caramel with just a touch of hops that is barely noticeable.

This is a medium bodied, medium carbonated beer, which is fine. However, I would like it to better a little drier than it is, especially in the finish.

Fairly drinkable beer, pretty average overall.

3.02/5  rDev -16.3%

It was aaite. I'm usually pretty quick to shut down a Jim Kosh beer, but this one was aaite. I had it at the Bell In Hand, supposedly the nations oldest tavern in Boston. We also had some Sam Boston Lagers around too, and came to the agreement that it was like they took the Boston Lager recipe and switched out yeasts and fermented it at 68 degrees. This isn't to say we didnt like it. The grain bill was solid, nice hop aroma and flavor, it looked pretty in its glass, it just didn't do much else for me that any other American style ale would do. Like I said though, I'd give it a solid aaite and probably order another if given the chance.

3.03/5  rDev -16.1%

Nothing really stands out about this Irish red Ale. Note that almost everyone that reviewed it reviewed it as a "on tap" because I don't think they bottle it. I was in Boston around Labor Day 2011 and I had the pleasure of going to FJ Doyles in Boston, which is the bar that Boston Beer Company (Sam Adams) provides free trolley service to after the tours.

The beer was a red color and the taste was fitting of a red ale. Descent amount of head on it but nothing stood out other than the fact you can't buy it in bottle form and it's rare to see anywhere. Not bad with some Chowder. On par with Killians Irish Red.

3.03/5  rDev -16.1%

Reviewed on 06/22/2009. On tap at Sunset Grill, Boston. This beer pours a dark brownish red with a white head. The aroma is of indistinct sweet malt. The flavor is sweet initially with lots of sweet malt. This is just a bland, malty mess of a beer, nothing special. Meh.

3.07/5  rDev -15%

I had this at the Cheers set bar in Boston. Served in a dimpled Cheers mug.

Appearance: I'll admit this is a nice looking beer. Pours a reddish dark amber with a finger of thick off white head that leaves some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Mild smell overall. I'm picking up some bready malt along with a slight sweetness.

Taste: Mild malt and slightly bitter from the hops. There is also a slight nuttiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: The malt profile is nice. This is an alright beer, but not particularly interesting.

3.11/5  rDev -13.9%

On tap @ the tasting room in the Boston Brewery.

Poured a deep amber-reddish color with a dense head. The aroma almost killed this beer for me, very medicinal, almost like cough syrup. Luckilly, the flavor makes up for it, with bready and toasted malt flavors dominating (I didn't detect any camramel malt sweetness like some other reviewers), with a hint of roasted barley flavor. Ends with a firm (but not obtrusive)hop finish.

Pretty authentic take on an Irish Red, unfortunately the horrible aroma brings the drinkability down in my book

3.13/5  rDev -13.3%

Served on-tap in a clear pint glass at The Barking Crab (Boston, MA).

A: Deep garnet with 1-2 finger beige head with decent retention and a few spicules of lace.

S: Not a great aroma at with burnt caramel and an overly medicinal, buttery smell. Hops are not detectable at all.

T: Malty with burnt toffee and buttery tones with an abrupt herbal, woody hops finish which doesn't do this beer any favors.

M: Big body for the style with low carbonation to give it a nice creamy smoothness. Aftertaste is very nutty and woody.

D: Not SA's best effort by a long shot. Very malty but too much toasted flavor with an strange abrupt hops finish that adds up to a poorly cohesive brew.

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%

A- Pours a brick red, bordering on slightly brown. Virtually no head or lacing on it though.
S- Light caramel malts, a bit of sweetness, almost a honey character on the nose as well.
T- A bit of toasted grain at first, but then gets tremendously sweet, caramel and just a bit of earthy/woody notes in the finish.
M- Fuller body than most, much less carbonation than most in style.
O- Not all that impressive of a beer. Drinkable, but it's a bit of a disappointment considering how much I like most Sam Adams beers.

3.21/5  rDev -11.1%

Sam Adams Brick Red pours, as expected, a clear, deep red. It's topped by an off-white head that fades to a film leaving nice lace. The aroma is fairly light overall with notes of caramel, toffee and a hint of fruitiness.

Biscuity and toasty malts upfront quickly move into a strong caramel sweetness in the center. Towards the finish a graininess appears along with a mild bitterness. Boston Brick Red is medium-bodied with moderate carbonation and a mild stickiness.

I know Irish Reds are supposed to be malty, but this one just seems a bit too malty to me. Perhaps it's the one-note dominance of the malt flavors. It's a decent beer, but most likely not one that I'll have again, especially if there are better options on tap.

3.21/5  rDev -11.1%

This beer is dark red in color and clear, has light to moderate carbonation with a slight head. There is a slight plum and Carmel aroma and the taste is of alcohol and plum. This is an ok session beer and I was happy to find it on tap, though I do wish it was a bit more remarkable.

3.22/5  rDev -10.8%

Tried this beer on recommendation from the staff and found it quite enjoyable. I had never heard of this Sam Adam's product so was pretty excited. Served in a Becker which nicely accentuated the deep red color of this beer and the 2 fine finger eggshell head that stuck around well and left some good lacing. The smell was a little worrisome as it was virtually not there, but being in a steak house sort of over whelms the senses so perhaps it had more than the slight maltiness to which I would give it credit. The taste seemed to be very forward on the palette but with very little after taste. This beer seems like a more full version of many of the Red's I have tried. I could enjoy a few of these any time and they could be well served to compliment a good steak any day.

3.23/5  rDev -10.5%

I had this beer when we went on the tour at the BBC in Boston. The beer was a nice golden yellow color with a very thick head. The smell was pretty average. Got a bit of malt and tiny bit of hops. The taste was pretty average. To me it was like a watered down version of the Boston Lager. The Mouthfeel was nice. I got a good amount of crispness. Overall this beer is perfect for what it is meant for (local bars and restaurants). It isnt the best beer in the world, but I love the meaning of this beer.

3.26/5  rDev -9.7%

A- A nice deep dark amber, thin white head.

S- Caramel malt, maybe a light cherry aroma, but not a whole lot.

T- Mainly malt coming through, caramel, some hop presence.

M- Smooth, malty, medium bodied.

O- Good beer, but not a whole lot coming through. I could drink a few.

3.3/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a pint glass on tap at Joe's American Bar & Grill Dedham, MA.

Nice amber color, with a small head smelling of lemon and wheat; accompanied by a pungent tanginess.

At first, the finish seemed off-balance- too heavy for the initial smell and pungency.

After the beer warmed up- the finish was a smoother tangy lemon-wheat.

It's a good restaurant beer. I would be interested in trying it in a bottle for comparison.

3.38/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap only in the city of Boston (and Cambridge) for a limited time, so I have been trying to have a pint whenever I can. Had a pint on Saturday night at a bar on Boylston St. Served in a pint glass. Clear, bright red color. Minimal head, and good amount of carbonation. Smell was nothing special. Taste was good and different at the same time. Good in the sense that it had a nice balance of malt and hops, and different in that it didn't really taste like a Sam Adams. It was refreshing, but I would not have guessed SA. I think I like this one more than the Irish Red they've had out in the past. A nice one-off beer to serve to the locals.

3.39/5  rDev -6.1%

Received a deep red pint with a decent cream colored foamy head. Some decent lacing. Very very nice appearance.

Smell is a tough one -- BBQ restaurant smells interfere. Got some good herbal aroma, as well as some toasted malt and some boiled grain scents. Just ok.

Decent brew. Nice maltiness on the palate balanced with some firm bitterness and a bit of a dry husk edge. Some fruit, some hops, but nothing overpowering. Decent.

Decent body and good carbonation.

Overall, I could do better. Easy to drink, but kinda lacking any real punch to make me want an encore. Worth a try, but just that.

3.4/5  rDev -5.8%

had on tap at flann o'briens. pours a brick red color with very thin lacing. cold tap, so that could be why. fairly faint smell, a little malty. again, this could be because of the temperature. nice toasted malt flavor, though a bit thin. not a lot of hops.

a pretty standard irish red. nothing to write home about, but worth a try.

3.4/5  rDev -5.8%

Had this on tap at a local pub today, pours a dark red, tasted like a pretty standard Irish Red, pretty malty, yet smooth, not alot standing out to me as I drink this beer. Pretty nondescript, not sure how this is much different than their other red ales, I'd have to do a side by side comparison, sorry for lack of detail but a very standard run of the mill red ale, not bad, but not great either. A very average beer.

3.4/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

We were kicked out of the setup for the ACBF so we had to go get a beer. Given how awesome the Bros and Candice were, I'll forgive them.

A: Super clear red with a light tan head. Fairly unremarkable.

S: Malty aroma with no hint of hops.

T: Standard Irish red but with increased sweetness. Malty right up front with limited balancing bitterness.

M: Kind of thick and syrupy for the style, but not in a bad way.

D: Not bad but pretty standard.

3.44/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On tap. Pours a clear, dark copper. Aroma is very malty. Completely malty actually. I was unsure of the style or couldn't remember it. Smells of caramel, bread and soft roast. Flavor is the same.bread crust and toffee. Devoid of hoppiness, even as a subsidiary flavor. Has some fullness to the feel at a relatively low ABV.

3.5/5  rDev -3%

I had a pint of this at the Green Dragon last weekend in Boston. After I asked the bartender what it was, he told me that Sam Adams decided to do a one-off for the brick bars on the street, or something like that. I know it's a one-off at least, so I had to try it.

Appearance: A copper-ruby combination, with an off-white head that sticks around the edges and that's it. Little retention.

Smell: Mild citrus hops and fruit esters. A bit of caramel. Balanced, but not a lot to be descerned.

Taste: A bit of caramel, earthiness, and fruit esters are going on mostly. Mild citrus on the back-end with the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with crisp carbonation.

Drinkability: An above-average and drinkable red, but nothing more.

3.5/5  rDev -3%

I saw this on draft at a number of bars in boston and had never seen it before. I wasn't even sure what type of beer it was. Irish Red makes sense. This was ok. As with all of Sam Adams' beers it was very solid and good. But, as with many of their beers, not altogether outstanding. Good amber/red color, nice carbonation, very drinkable. This is one of those beers that's always the most interesting choice among a small selection of marcros

3.5/5  rDev -3%

Had on tap at the brewery.

Clear, reddish-brown. Light, little bubbles. Smelled not too much of cherries, and salt water. Taste is not off-putting, but not outstanding either. Light and easy across the palate. Seems well designed for style.

It was a treat to have a "rare" SA beer while in it's home town.

Samuel Adams Brick Red from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)