Samuel Adams Brick Red - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Brick RedSamuel Adams Brick Red

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Irish Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: fitzy84 on 03-03-2009)

kingstonma, Nov 20, 2011

Adamostella, Nov 14, 2011

Lawnboy33, Nov 14, 2011

AHaytko, Nov 14, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had in the Boston area this past weekend, not exactly sure where.

A: Poured into a plastic cup, pours a reddish brown color with a small head that actually stayed for a few minutes before receding

S: Nice and malty with some backing hops. More on the dry side as well, not too sweet

T: Husky, toasted grains with a bittering hop presence. A little too much husk for me, almost reminded me of a cheap lager

M: Medium-full bodied with spot-on carbonation. Best part of the beer for me

O: Just an average irish red. I'd get it if you see it because of the limited aspect of it, but don't be disappointed if you're let down. Maybe it was the plastic cup for me, but who knows

BEERMILER12, Nov 07, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -13.2%

I had this beer when we went on the tour at the BBC in Boston. The beer was a nice golden yellow color with a very thick head. The smell was pretty average. Got a bit of malt and tiny bit of hops. The taste was pretty average. To me it was like a watered down version of the Boston Lager. The Mouthfeel was nice. I got a good amount of crispness. Overall this beer is perfect for what it is meant for (local bars and restaurants). It isnt the best beer in the world, but I love the meaning of this beer.

gtermi, Oct 18, 2011

It was aaite. I'm usually pretty quick to shut down a Jim Kosh beer, but this one was aaite. I had it at the Bell In Hand, supposedly the nations oldest tavern in Boston. We also had some Sam Boston Lagers around too, and came to the agreement that it was like they took the Boston Lager recipe and switched out yeasts and fermented it at 68 degrees. This isn't to say we didnt like it. The grain bill was solid, nice hop aroma and flavor, it looked pretty in its glass, it just didn't do much else for me that any other American style ale would do. Like I said though, I'd give it a solid aaite and probably order another if given the chance.

corylew, Sep 19, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -13.2%

A- Pours a brick red, bordering on slightly brown. Virtually no head or lacing on it though.
S- Light caramel malts, a bit of sweetness, almost a honey character on the nose as well.
T- A bit of toasted grain at first, but then gets tremendously sweet, caramel and just a bit of earthy/woody notes in the finish.
M- Fuller body than most, much less carbonation than most in style.
O- Not all that impressive of a beer. Drinkable, but it's a bit of a disappointment considering how much I like most Sam Adams beers.

jsprain1, Jun 10, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -20.7%

I tried this beer on tap at Cheers on my last trip to Boston on the advice of my server. She said it was only available in Boston and only for a limited time, so I ordered one.

The beer poured a beautifully clear dark brick red color from which it takes its name. Despite just a rim for a head, the beer left some decent lacing.

Unless my nose was off, I couldn't smell much of anything. Just a faint caramel malt aroma, and you really have to sniff hard to get that.

Flavor wise, the pale malts and caramel really come through, but the biggest surprise was how bitter this beer was. I'm not sure what hops were used, but there has to be a boatload of them in here. They don't just balance the beer - they overwhelm it. In this case I think it was too much of a good thing. I would have preferred less hops and more malt for this style beer, but that's me. If you're a hop hound you may fall in love with this one. For me, it was just OK, but give them credit for coming up with something absolutely unique.

The beer leans towards full bodied but with crisp carbonation so it doesn't feel so heavy.

While not one of my favorites, I would still recommend trying it once just because I haven't tasted anything else quite like it.

matjack85, Jun 07, 2011

Didn't know anything about this beer until I got to the brewery in Boston last summer. The brewery was giving samples of this along with a few others. Since it's only sold in Boston I'll need to make my way back there if I ever want to have this beer again. The color of the beer is a deep red color with a pretty decent looking head on it. The lacing was sporadic along the glass. The smell has a pleasent aroma of hops and malts. The taste also has a hoppy and malty flavor. The mouthfeel is drinkable and just about medium bodied. Overall it's a good brew and really worth checking out when in Boston.

Knapp85, May 25, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -3.2%

On tap at Whiskey's on Boylston St.

Beer came with no head. It was filled to rim - i had to sip before i could attempt to smell.

Deep ruby brown - no head, no lacing.

Not much aroma popping off this brew. I let it warm up a bit and gave it a few swirls but nothing stood out.

well balanced with malt/hops, a grainy biscuit flavor that lingered on the palette - very nice.

medium body - on the lighter side- with good carbonation and a fairly dry finish.

I wish I didn't have restaurant distractions while trying this beer, but based on the taste it was great brew and was enjoyed with food but could easily be a session beer.

bierschmecktgut, May 18, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +9.7%

Had this on tap at the Warren Tavern in Charlestown. A deep red color with a two-finger off-white head. the head doesn't stock around too long but it does maintain a nice foam cap.

Some sweetish caramel malt. Not much else in the nose but what's there is tasty.

Great medium body that pairs perfectly with the caramel and hints of chocolate. Some bitter hops towards the end and a semi-dry finish. Overall it is very good. One of the best I've had for the style.

SuperSpy, May 15, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Sampled earlier today at Epcot in Disney World. Light mahogany red in color with a short off-white head that reduced to a light cap. Plenty of sticky lacings. Malty caramel aroma with a very slight hint of floral hops. Medium bodied with pleasant carbonation. Big malty caramel flavor up front, dark cherry and grape fruit flavors through the middle, and light floral hop finish. Very enjoyable.

IronLover, May 09, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +12.4%

Enjoyed on tap at The Pour House on Boylston. Seeing this beer, only available in the Boston area, was more than enough to convince me to try it.

Two fat, luscious fingers of white froth top a clear, deep red body that leaves dense rings of white lace on the pint glass. Great presentation and appearance! Good aromas, with plenty of caramel and chocolate malt. Nice taste, subtly complex with chocolate, berry, and a distinct hoppy taste; really good.

Brick Red is a winner upon the mouthfeel--surprisingly hoppy and gritty; lots of texture and complexity. I am not sure what hops were used in this, but some of the "C's" come to mind, given the taste and texture--perhaps Chinook, Centennial, or Columbus. Regardless, very delicious and hoppy; better than I expected. Easy to down and easy to enjoy. Brick Red is a very good red, more hopped than one might expect and, as Sam Adams would likely produce, thoroughly delicious.

Certainly recommended.

Gehrig, Jan 08, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap somewhere in Massachusetts. Rusty head with excellent retention. Nice malty aroma with a hint of hop. Very smooth with a subtle hop bite that balances out perfectly with the beers malt. Some chocolate malt? A nice, smooth Irish red. Great for the style. I could drink this all afternoon!

nniicckkww, Dec 31, 2010
Samuel Adams Brick Red from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)