2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

LongShot Double IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

LongShot Double IPALongShot Double IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: Monkeyknife on 04-07-2009)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 393 | Reviews: 361 | Show All Ratings:
twiggamortis420

1.78/5  rDev -54.1%

Pours a hazy golden-orange hue with an exceptionally long lasting cap of cream colored foam. Pretty nice lacing as well.

Hmmmm, this one might be tough...hops, maybe? The lupulin in this beer ranges from grassy to citric to earthy to tropical. There is a solid platform of caramely malt in there as well. It's not bad, but I prefer my hoppy beers to showcase just one type of hop aroma.

Bitter as hell with a thick, almost syrupy malt backbone. The malt tries to maintain some sort of fleeting balance, but even that fails as bitter hops are overwhelmingly strong. I like my hops every once in a while, but for me this beer is not good at all. Too dull, earthy, citric and bitter. Im giving the longshot sixpack a thumbs down this year as the traditional bock was the only beer worth drinking in there.

I actually drainpoured the end of this foul concoction. Haven't done that in almost a year. Absolutely atrocious.

07-18-2009 21:46:16 | More by twiggamortis420
Mitchster

2.05/5  rDev -47.2%

Bought as part of the 2009 6 pack, I think $9.29 for the 6'er @ Jacks. Pours out to a cloudy burnt orange, forming a tall yello whead with excellent retention and thick sheets of lacing with a mild to medium carbonation. Medium dense body with a prickly acidity and bone dry mouth puckering horrid finish. The aroma opens with a huge hop nose which has floral, tropical (mango and orange), and pine characteristics. I definitely get amarillo and centennial in there...with a little bit of pungent skunkiness. The taste starts nice with big bold flavorful hops, followed by a medium strong herbaceous bitterness, grapefruit pith, some burnt rubber and toasted grains in the middle, and quickly dissolves into a very bitter chemical like/burning PVC fume aftertaste.

I'm not a fan of this one. It smells good, but it's got this horrid bitterness in the aftertaste, like chemicals and burnt plastic. The aftertaste is actually quite atrocious. Terribly unbalanced, and I have no desire to ever drink this one again. I'll stick to my Two Hearted, Centennial, and Stone IPA.

10 minutes later and I still have this horrible taste in my mouth. I'm actually cracking open another IPA to get rid of it. Ughhhh...this is actually a drain pour, which is pretty hard to get me to do with IPA's.

04-15-2009 22:17:23 | More by Mitchster
brewdlyhooked13

2.55/5  rDev -34.3%

Appearance - pours a burnt orange. A thick finger of white dirty foam forms up. It is poorly constructed and falls apart in erratic fashion. Starry bits and clots of lace are left behind.

Aroma - intense pine, mango, grapefruit. Um...hoppy.

Taste - biscuity, malty start, but its presence is momentary. Some sharp grapefruit rind followed by an insane hoppy bitterness. Very medicinal, a bitter assault on the taste buds. I'm getting more malt presence with some warming but I'm still struggling with this one. The other bottle gets a two year nap, minimum, to see if those hops lighten up. Not a great taste experience.

Mouthfeel - nice viscous feel, a heavy body with lower carbonation.

Drinkability - I won't mind if I never have this again, though I have some interest in how the other bottle ages.
***
Aged review
Appearance - I poured this aged sample and disturbed some sediment, creating small flakes in this bright, iced-tea amber brew. A finger and more of creamy almond lace with great stick and lacing. 4.5

Aroma - great orangey citrus with a backdrop of pine. Even some malty hints as this settles. 4.5

Taste - quick and light malts, somewhat thin. Or maybe just hopelessly overwhelmed by the hop onslaught. Orange and a touch of soapy lemon create the beachfront, but the hop invasion after that is rough, harsh, and medicinal. Retreat! Not quite that bad, but I'm not into it. I guess if the malt is ramped up it would have better balance but would likely be a barleywine. Oh well, after the burn, the bitterness, medicinal, and dryness complete the scorched earth battlefield analogy. 2.0

Mouthfeel - good smoothness for the style, good crisp carbonation, sturdy body. 4.0

Drinkability - yikes, I liked everything about the beer except how it tastes. Oh well, congrats to Mike for his winner. 1.5

08-03-2009 16:08:01 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Riccymon

2.58/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a nearly opaque copper red from the bottle with two fingers of rocky beige head. Some lacing results. Smell is quite strongly of pine, but there's an almost maple syrup-like aroma that I also notice. A musty, sour alcohol note is most present after the head dissipates.

On first sip, this beer is loaded with grapefruit flavor, though there is a caramel malt foundation that I taste for an instant before the grapefruit- and citrus-loaded finish. As it warms, a salt and mineral flavor becomes almost overpowering. Not pleasant.

Syrupy is how I would describe this Longshot's body--thick and smooth like a barleywine, with a bitterness that really lingers on the back of the tongue and roof of the mouth. This beer is so big in every aspect that I think I'd struggle to drink more than one. Overall, it reminds me a bit of Bigfoot.

05-03-2009 19:08:43 | More by Riccymon
paytoplay

2.58/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Just doesn't do it for me. With a wealth of IIPA experience it comes off carmel sweet, nose and finish. Some bitters and somewhat of a finish. Just nothing like any other west cost IIPA. Prob a ton of this was made so A+ given to the quantity and effort. But having cheap champagne it just has that hangover sweetness / midwest IIPA feel. And Pliny elder sampled just before really laid down the law. Still nice to see the effort put in. Also says drink by Sept 09. Maybe this right out of the shoot it was fresher and better? Still fun to try a sam adams product. The 6 pack with cherry and bock were also both not good. This being the most flavorfull but not really the "best" per say.

05-23-2009 08:17:39 | More by paytoplay
drabmuh

Maryland

2.6/5  rDev -33%

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint glass. Beer is slightly hazy (I left the sediment behind in the bottle) and amber in color. Forms a thin off-white head that falls away leaving some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is low and steady.

Slight sulfur in the nose and a lot of malt. Hops are there but are dominated by the malt.

Medium body, cloying, really really cloying. This is not doing it for me at all. Slightly tart in the corners with a bite of sulfur at the end. Lots of bitterness at the back, at least that is OK. Not a good DIPA. Sorry. I've had enough.

01-30-2010 23:40:36 | More by drabmuh
twelvsies

Maine

2.65/5  rDev -31.7%

Verrry interested to try this beer, considering the back-story. In short, homebrew recipe based on one by Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River, supposedly resembling Pliney the Elder, arguably the greatest IPA of all time. I'm going to try to be objective and just take this beer for what it is. Welp, she's real pretty. Hazy rusty orange with a seemingly unending head. Nice lacing. Nose is promising - piney hops and a nice vanilla cream malty sweetness, but with wisps of alcohol. Eek, this beer is going downhill fast. There's a nice flavor to it - good orange peel an pine hop boquet, but lots of booze in the way. Very fume-y and almost a hot plastic taste. Really distracting. Mouthfeel is thin and watery, not helping to blend the flavors together, but rather separating. All this leading to poor drinkability. I'm not really interested in this, kind of already thinking about the next beer. Too bad, I was hoping Sam Adams would put out something decent, even if they didn't come up with the recipe. Ho hum.

05-10-2009 03:08:47 | More by twelvsies
vacax

2.75/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

A: Pale amber with honey orange tint and a good bit of haze. Ample head is billowy and eggshell white leaves a bit of lace.

S: Sharp pine is the focal point of the nose. Some sweetness and apple blossoms.

T: Piney hops dominate throughout the mouth and in the finish. Lots of harsh grass and a vegetable tang. Absent are many of the fruity and floral flavors that that are prized in a Double IPA. Moderately sweet with a big bite that is not entirely pleasant. The hop-forward profile is style appropriate, but the taste is dominated by its flaws. Sticky raw vegetable finish.

M: Medium bodied with quite a bit of carbonation.

D: Impressive masking of the ABV, but harsh flavors make it a sipper with an unpalatable finish. Hard to finish the 12 oz. This was a big disappointment and I certainly would not buy this beer again. I am a fan of DIPAs and I decidedly dislike this beer.

05-04-2009 02:06:45 | More by vacax
nicnut45

2.75/5  rDev -29.1%

Appearance-Very little head upon pouring, however leaves a nice dense off white foam. This beer is a thick brown reddish color that you cannot see thru.

Aroma-Strong piney aroma. Reminds me of Dawn dish soap.

Taste-If pine sol brewed a beer this would be it. Huge pine flavored bitterness with burnt popcorn flavors and just a tiny bit of marshmallow like malt coming through.The label says 7 different hop varieties. Seems to me like you kind of get a muddy bitterness with no real hop flavors coming through.

Mouthfeel-Thick creamy mouthfeel, low carbonation. Very nice.

Drinkability-This is like sucking on a pine cone. One is enough for me. I'm a big fan of Sam Adams and I am happy they promote homebrewing. But I don't think they should include this one in there line up.

06-07-2009 02:44:16 | More by nicnut45
SaCkErZ9

2.78/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dispensed from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Slightly hazy and ornage amber in color. A small white head is obtained, leaves generous lacing.

Aroma is sweet and malty. Piney and citrusy hop aromas. Plenty of of malt makes this a sweeter smelling DIPA.

Astringent and very chalky on the tongue. Really indesireable. The chalkiness makes this dry and acrid. Hops and maltiness are somewhat balanced but this one is slightly sweet, acrid, and chalky.

This is by far the worst of the bunch this year. Chalky, astringent, acrid, overall bad. I would say this and Cherry Lambic are the worst of the brand (with style in consideration).

05-26-2009 00:23:55 | More by SaCkErZ9
ZAP

2.8/5  rDev -27.8%

A-orange color...murky

S-aroma is herbal/tobacco/weed....maybe a little orange marmalade on the aroma too.

T-Abrasive bitterness..lacks sweeer, juicier hops flavors....hops blow away any malt backing....I guess if they upped the malt load this would turn into a Barley Wine maybe...

M-Light side of full bodied....very dry bitter finish...I like DIPA's like Hopslam and Pliny...this one has nowhere near the flavor and instead has a nasty abrasive bitterness

D-Wow...if you want a hopped up DIPA this is it. Along the lines of Rogue I2PA...too one sided for me and not real enjoyable to drink

05-06-2009 04:44:23 | More by ZAP
thirdeye11

2.8/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Presentation: Poured from 12oz bottle into a plastic solo cup. Yup I was rocking this by the pool.

A: The beer poured what looked like a dark amber color, darker than expected. The head simply will NOT go away the entire time. It's left a thick blanket of head atop the beer for a good 30 minutes until I finished it.

S: Smell is nothing too special. The bittering hops are pleasant, and you can tell it has no real identifiable hop as they used 6 different varieties when brewing this so I'm not sure I liked it a lot, but decent and clean. Some malt is here too but not enough.

T: Taste is really lacking. I've been drinking a lot of good IPAs lately and this is not one of them. Very bitter both up front, and on the finish. The bitter on the finish lasted 30+ minutes after I hadn't drank anything else. No malt to support the bitterness, and doesn't seem well balanced. If you are a hardcore IPA drinker then maybe you'll enjoy this but coming from a guy who only seems to enjoy the very best IPAs/DIPAs this isn't great. It's just not. It is by no means a Pliny clone as I've read elsewhere as it doesn't smell, feel, or taste anything like PtE.

M: A little undercarbonated and thick, overall it was good.

D: I couldn't drink more than one. Way too bitter that stayed with me a long ass time.

06-01-2009 17:52:43 | More by thirdeye11
joerodiii

2.83/5  rDev -27.1%

This beer did not work for me.

It looked very nice, a light amber with a reasonable head and lacing. The smell was ok, but the hops seemed muddled.

The flavor was really lost on me. There was much more hop bitterness than aroma, and the hop flavors seemed muddled, as well. The only real positive was a lingering maltiness that blended well with the fading hop flavor.
Mouthfeel was nice and thick; you know you're drinking a DIPA.

I'm not upset that this is a one time brew.

06-07-2009 21:03:29 | More by joerodiii
armock

2.83/5  rDev -27.1%

A - Poured a hazy orange color with an off white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is a nose full of hops with pine and grapefruit scents

T - Kinda disappointing its a clash of hops that don't seem to come together very well

M - This beer has a fuller body with medium carbonation to it

D - Because of the way this stuff tastes its not all that easy to drink and I do like hoppy beers this one just didn't work out for me not worth it

03-29-2010 19:12:05 | More by armock
isualum12

Idaho

2.85/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured a bottle into a pint glass. The beer pours misty or hazzy dark gold color. Almost no head on the beer at all.

Smelled liked your classic IPA. I didn't care for it.
Hops are decently strong I think. The Malt is also powerful.

Medium body with a IPA classic flavor. I didn't really want to go grab another one afterwards but I am not a big IPA fan to start with. The bitter after taste got to me after about 1/3 of the beer.

03-16-2010 02:57:04 | More by isualum12
webbcreative

Oklahoma

2.9/5  rDev -25.3%

Pours Dark Hazy Golden Color, with 1 and half finger head. Smells almost like some kinda bad vegetable. Taste, is like some kinda bad vegetable, there is so much hop oils on the tounge its like sucking on hop cones, has a slight saltyness to it also.

Overall I have to say I guess im not a DIPA fan at all, If this is the "winner" then i think i will stay away from the others for a while. not to enjoyable.

05-16-2009 02:08:41 | More by webbcreative
bfields4

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

Hazey gold to amber hue. A nice little head doesn't last too long but comes up fairly tight.

Very pungent hop presence. Grapefruit citrus smell.

Surprised by the amount of malt present. Flowery hops flavors are more relegated to the back of this beer. Really surprised with as much as it got made up about how much hops they were going to use. Just not very much complexity.

I'm really wondering if my beer got skunked. Not a horrible brew just doesn't really have the flavors I would expect from a DIPA.
Going to have to try this one again.

04-29-2009 03:03:11 | More by bfields4
KeefD

Hazy golden orange, one finger of white head, light lacing. Aroma is peppery and herbal, some light pine and grapefruit. I'd like to know what type of hops give this spicy, peppery aroma, because I just don't like it and would like to avoid all beers that utilize them. Taste is the same herbal hop character that was in the nose, there's nice underlying sweetness to it, somewhat balanced, but the bitterness is a bit acrid, a bit of citrus and pine in the background that would make this beer a winner if it were in the front rather than the herbal varieties. Bitter, crisp mouthfeel, biting carbonation, alcohol is warming. I dunno, I've heard this is a Pliny close, but it must be from before Pliny is what it is today, because Pliny knocks this one on it's ass. I wanted a grapefruit bomb and I got a mouth full of pepper and herbs. Not my thing and wouldn't be purchasing this again even it were a regular offering.

04-23-2009 01:33:45 | More by KeefD
bluetravlr

Colorado

A: Plenty of head with fairly good retention. Light amber/orange coloring. Good lacing.

S: Grassy hop smell. You can definitely make out the alcohol.

T: Interesting. Initial caramel flavors relinquish to a surprisingly mild bitterness for a dipa. However, this bitterness does linger for quite some time and is stronger in the aftertaste. Does taste a bit grassy/earthy with few floral notes, though these come through a bit at the end. Nuances of grapefruit and lemon.

M: Nice. Not too thick, not too thin, and perfectly carbonated.

D: The bitter aftertaste gets to you after awhile. This, combined with the grassy taste makes me glad there are only two in the pack.

That being said I'm glad I tried this; it is unique. It's almost like hoppy lawn clippings. It tastes very fresh in a way. Seven hop varieties; however, may have been overkill.

05-05-2009 05:06:04 | More by bluetravlr
LilBeerDoctor

3.05/5  rDev -21.4%

Bottle. Pours a semi-clear deep orange with a small white head. Aroma of hop resin, sweet citrus, and sweet malt. Flavor is sweet and malty at first with a powerful, resiny, bitter hops finish. The palate is rather heavy, especially for a 9% beer. Too sweet, too thick for my liking. Hardly any distinct flavors came out, just a muddled mess basically. I had high hopes for this one but oh well...

06-09-2009 18:47:59 | More by LilBeerDoctor
Deus1138

Georgia

3.05/5  rDev -21.4%

This was the reason I bought the Longshot Sampler.

Poured into a pint glass. Hazey, copper-orange. Decent 1/4" of head.

Smell is mostly grassy hops.

Taste is dominated by hops. It's a strange combination of hops that don't go great together. The finish is a little dry and very bitter and not balanced out or backed by the malts.

Drinkability is ok. I won't be seeking this out again.

06-25-2009 06:08:44 | More by Deus1138
champ103

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

A: Pours a hazy copper/orange color. A large white head forms with great retention. Plenty of sticky lace coats the glass.
S: Lots of hoppy bitterness. An oily hop presents. Pine and grapefruit. A light sweetness lingers on, though does not balance out the bitterness.
T: Hop bitterness up front. A sweetness lingers on for a little balance. Though neither the hop bitterness or malt sweetness has any real flavor. Both are just nondescript.
M/D: A medium to full body that is well carbonated for my tastes. A good creaminess as well. Lots of bitterness and high alcohol makes this hard to drink.

An interesting DIPA. This one has a little more malt sweetness than most examples I have had, though it is still an unbalanced bitter beer IMO. Give it a try if you like the style, but I am continually unimpressed with this style.

06-04-2009 02:46:36 | More by champ103
Wegbier

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

a- great deep amber color, thick lacing and very nice bubbles almost a cascade on the pour.

s- light of citrus hops

t- as i drank this beer it was excellent while still very cold with floral and citrus hops and such a deep taste that I could not stop drinking it. As it warmed I was very disgusted very quickly, the deep full taste quickly turned into salty, it tastes so salty I am thirsty for anything but this beer.

m- full and intense right but this beer warms terrible. I did not forget about for a long time or anything, it is just like drinking salted hops.

d- leaves a bitter and thirsty taste, I havent drunk a beer before that went down hill so fast from beginning to end.

I just hope the second one goes down better

05-21-2009 01:53:16 | More by Wegbier
naterock

Missouri

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

(reviewed from notes)
Poured into a tasting glass with a cloudy golden color no lacing a very little head

Smell is hops and nothing else really, nothing else

Taste is so overpowered. I know it's a DIPA but damn it would be nice for at least a taste of some malts. Seriously lacks complexity but if that's what some one was shooting for then good job. Reminds me of other single hop IPAs.

Mouth is very oily and overly carbonated, not very inviting even for a hop fiend. drinks slowly because it is truly hard to handle.

04-12-2009 20:13:51 | More by naterock
wagenvolks

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

12oz. bottle into a beer mug.

The long-anticipated, hop-shortage-delayed Longshot Double IPA pours an attractive, deep copper body with an amber core. Yeasty haze evident, as if it were still the homebrew that bore the more mass-produced offspring. A thick, pillowy head builds to an inch in height before slowly retreating to a cap of light custard bubbles--fantastic lacing clings to the inside of the glass.

Something about the aroma doesn't agree with me...it's butterscotchy with a strong presence of just-opened hop pellets that greets the nostrils and takes on somewhat of a "cat piss" quality. Kind of skunky, too, and the caramel malt backbone does little to balance the off-notes.

Flavor starts with a bit of spice and a quick sweetness from caramel & biscuit malts, but gets overrun by an acerbic hop bitterness. After the palate adjusts, this beer becomes more drinkable, as subtle notes of citrus and pine pull through. Finishes with crushed Aspirin, orange peel, mineral, and a hint of ethanol. Mouthfeel is on the heavy side of medium, with a spritzy carbonation level and a chewy-slick consistency. I cannot say that I was impressed by this beer...certainly nothing like a Pliny clone from which the homebrew was supposedly based. Comparable in quality to Saranac's High Peaks Series IIPA. In my opinion, SA's best Longshot brews are still the Weizenbock and Traditional Bock. It's a shame, too, because IIPA's are my favorite style :(

05-03-2009 04:22:56 | More by wagenvolks
LongShot Double IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)