LongShot Double IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

LongShot Double IPALongShot Double IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Monkeyknife on 04-07-2009

3.86/5  rDev -0.5%

Very hazy apricot colored brew with a nice foamy white head that hangs around well and produces plenty of lacing.

The aroma is mild for an IPA, a bit of pine resin, grapefruit and an odd grainy smell, a bit like dried hay, maybe just a touch of alcohol.

The taste is pine up front followed by a caramel malt and toffee note, finishes a bit dry with more grapefruit zest and some definite alcohol warmth.

Medium bodied, just a touch of roughness, not bad at all, almost too easy to drink considering the alcohol content. Definitely a decent IPA and worth a try.

3.76/5  rDev -3.1%

Pint glass pour, no respect. :P

Hazy, muddy, orange brown. Couple inches of pop-marked yellowed head leaning back & forth like a nearly capsized buoy. Lace is like an albino honey comb. Incredibly sticky & uniformly coating. On the second pour, it was more like insulation spray foam. :o

Smell wasn't so intense as it was rich. Mandarin orange & pineapple concentrated down into syrup, pine sap, salty, something like leeks; perfumey with a slight stiffening edge of alcohol. A little honey & yeast trailing.

Taste was initially masked by the thick & creamy mouthfeel. Half a second, & some honey loaf comes on board. Sweet, then overwhelmed. Without another gap, sharp floral & citric bitters hit, leading the way into an incredibly dry pine & mint sensation that leaves me thirstier then when I had started. Grass, it's sprouting up everywhere! Pack your machete. Pretty big, but manageable if you know it's coming. Touch soapy if your looking for it. Very similar backend hop characteristic to Otter Creek's IIPA, though that was way too much, one dimensional, & just plain terrible. Even not being an IPA guy, this is pretty entertaining. The way it dries out so quickly, while still delivering some real crusty & rindy flavors.

The body isn't slick. It could be thought of as a touch grainy, or maybe just dirty. The alcohol seems to propagate as it warms, but is very reasonable if your not taking pinkie swigs. No big blasts of Lysol that I get with other big IIPAs. A decent value if you can tolerate the rest of the six pack.

This is a big one. Props to Sam Adams for taking a chance. :)

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

12oz as part of the Long Shot 6'er picked up in Denver over the weekend.. The wife is making me clean up my label collection, so.... I figured I better have a couple beers. I just had a fresh Pliney.. so.. this was an easy choice for the next brew... Poured into my Delirium goblet.

Attractive 2 finger foamy white head leaves great lacing ... took a long time to die back.. the brew is a sunset orange... slightly hazy because a bit of yeast was carelessly poured into the glass.

Nose is chock full of citrus hops.. mainly grapefruit and tangerine comes to mind with some background pine... quite a bit of maltiness too... no real caramel.. just some malty sweetness.

Flavor is big and bracing bitterness out of the gates.. more sweetness than expected mid-palate tends to push the still abundant citrus hops to the side a bit.. finish is long citric but ends on a minerally bite that I find odd... the body is on the heavy side for a DIPA and carbonation a bit lite, yet still a nice mouthfeel... I am sure that this bottle is way on the downslope.. I would have loved to try it fresh, but we never got the Long Shots into Boise this year.

Overall.. it is still fairly drinkable.... reminds me alot of Laughing Dog's Devil Dog after I forgot about it in my fridge for a coupla months.

4.36/5  rDev +12.4%

Longshot Double IPA. I cleared out a case of old Longshot boxes that said enjoy before september 2009. Fuck it, @ the price I paid, its a steal.

A- A hazy amber/gold with a sticky, thick, foam cap that doesn't want to go anywhere. Looks fantastic. Immediate lacing, almost like an even coat of bubbles on the glass.

S- Potent, pungent hops. Spicy, piny hops dominate, and the alcohol comes through just a tad.

T- Very good, meethinks. One of the tastier DIPAs I've had in a while. Hmm... I am really digging this beer. Potent, lip-smacking pine hops and a substantial malt bill (but not overpowering).. this is a tasty DIPA. While not as complex as some other favorites of mine (pliny, squall, 90 min, hop stoopid), this beer is fantastic. I am really impressed at the raw hop flavor of this beer... right in my sweet spot.

M- Considering the 9.6% ABV, this is a pretty solid beer. Good carbonation, just a mild twang of alcohol, but the hops knock it out of focus pretty quick.

D- Look out. Goes down so easily and tastes so good, you'll drink it faster than you think.

Fantastic DIPA, really impressive, glad SA does the Longshot Contest so beers like this get released. As of 9/24/09, this beer is easily in the top 10 DIPAs I've had. Considering I bought this for 90 cents a bottle, I'm thrilled. I wonder what this was like fresh... 9+ months on it and I'm in love.

4.23/5  rDev +9%

Hazy dull, orange color with a voluminous white head. Lots of lace around the glass. Notes of citrus and pine on the nose with grapefruit taking the lead. I've smelled stronger IPA's but this one's pretty darn good. Sharp bitterness up front that softens towards the finish. Plenty of grapefruit-type citrus but there's a sweetness on the tip of my tongue that I can't quite put my finger on. It seems to soften the blow of the hops and creates a pretty pleasant taste profile. The pine flavor comes through a bit more on the finish. All in all it seems pretty subdued for a DIPA but doesn't suffer for it. A very refreshing brew in a lot of ways. Definitely something I'd drink again if I could.

3.61/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy orange/amber with a thick, yellow/beige cap. Great head retention. Sheets of chunky lace coated the glass. The aroma was full of caramel, fruity grapefruit, and a hint of pine. Medium/high bitterness with a lot of caramel sweetness and grapefruit/pine hops. It was a little spicy towards the end and it finished nicely balanced. Medium plus bodied with carbonation a little on the low side. Smooth with light warmth. Decent overall and well made, but the hops didn't really pop and the caramel sweetness was a little higher than I prefer.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden color with a nice amount of head. The head is foamy and pillowy and dissipates slowly leaving nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: Hoppy and grainy for sure. There is a bit of a lemony zest to the aroma as well.

Taste: Yep, this is an IPA. Hoppy as all hell but slightly balanced by a touch of maltiness. Complex flavors really make this an interesting beer to try. There is a bit of a lemony-citrus kick in the background of this beer. The high alcohol content is also immediately apparent in this beer.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and kind of bready. A bit on the carbonated side, but nothing to complain about.

Drinkability: A good IPA. Since it's a double IPA, I wouldn't recommend it to people new to good beer or to those who aren't huge hopheads.

4.31/5  rDev +11.1%

Live review. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass. Purchased at Wegmans in Jamestown, NY 8 29 09 for $9.99 for the 6 pack of LongShot bottles. "Best by" stamp of September 2009 on the side of the label.

A One inch, generous head over a nice looking brown/orange body that glows in front of direct light. Lastly, nice lacing as the entire pint glass as I repeatedly sipped. The look cannot be improved. 5.0

S Hops for sure but I also pick up generous malt sweetness along with the hops. 4.0

T/M The smell was a good suggestion for the taste as there are big hops but they are nicely balanced by big, bold malt sweetness. The feel is a really big beer with the "bittersweet" balance of malt and hops but it all works nicely as there is a rare smoothness to all of these bodacious tastes. It has balance like a mature, fine craft DIPA. As I taste it and think about it, it may be one of my favorite of the style (which is saying something since I have not found too many DIPAs that I have liked). 4.5

D I will finish this pint without too much trouble at all. There is enough to keep my interest to make this quite drinkable. 4.0

Notes: Excellent job Mike McDole of California, you have surpassed the DIPA of many established breweries!

4.4/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from 12oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a light caramel-tan color with a large tan head. The head is very thick and leaves much lace.

Smell: All hops- floral aromas with hints of grapefruit. Slight notes of bread, butter, and nut.

Taste: Starts with a breaded toast flavor, and finishes with a strong bitterness. The finish has notes of grass, grapefruit, and nut- all hop flavors seem to be represented here.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and dry, sticks to the palate, and has a balanced carbonation. Still, thinner and a bit waterier than expected, especially after the carbonation wears off (which is quickly).

Drinkability: Great beer- the bottle says that it is brewed with 7 different hop varieties totaling six pounds of hops per barrel. It shows through in the complex hop flavors- I seriously can pick up almost every hop flavor imaginable in this beer. I definitely would have this again and, hell, maybe I'll invite Mike McDole over with some of his home brewed Double IPA.

12oz bottle
A) Pours with a decent head. Creamy and sticky. Mild settling. Hazy. Orange-red to Amber in color.
S) Floral. Caramel sweetness. Peach. Orange.
T) Balanced caramel malt and hop bitter from beginning to end. In the finish a hint of anise. Hops bite lingers in the finish with some alcohol.
M) Fizzy. Medium bodied. Crisp. Light tannin feel. Alcohol effervescence.
D) Delicious! Michael McDole should be proud!

4.21/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. It pours a glowing orange color that is incredibly hazy, no clarity whatsoever. There was an off white colored head that dissipated pretty quickly, and there was very minimal lacing to this beer. The smell is outstanding. You can really smell the hops from across the room, but not overly strong, they smell great. The taste is very good, but you can unfortunately taste the alcohol at the end of each sip, it lessens more and more during the session as the beer warms up a bit. The overall taste is worth the aftertaste though, the hoppy taste is very good. The mouth feel was pretty average, has a slight alcohol bite at the end of it. This beer however is incredibly drinkable. This was my second time trying this beer. I enjoyed it the second time, but seemed to enjoy it much more the first time, don't know if there was a problem with this beer or not. Either way I'd recommend IPA lovers to give this one a try, pretty good.

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a hazy copper-orange color with a thick, frothy off-white head that leaves sticky lacing on the glass. The nose is all west coast hops; grapefruit, juniper and resinous pine dominate. The taste is pretty well balanced for a beer this heavily hopped, there is a solid caramel malt backdrop and a strong hop forefront with the aforementioned characteristics. Mouthfeel is full bodied with a minimal yet creamy carbonation, the finish is semi-dry but leaves the mouth with a coated, slick feeling. Drinkability is good due to the balance and enjoyment of the beer but the alcohol is a limiting factor.

3.82/5  rDev -1.5%

Every brewery should do this. Its not that koch doesn't know what he's doing, but being able to have other people enjoy your home brew is a dream.

Poured a nice amber with a thumbs head.

Grapefruit smells prevail and I may be simple but I thought I smelled coffee.

Tastes sweet, not bitter, almost hopstoopid. Honey and grapefruit sugars are there.

Congrats to you mike mcdole of CA...if you're a BA, how's about sending me a growler of your next homebrew creation??!?

Appearance: Deep, cloudy golden with minimal head

Smell: Hoppy citrus with malt undertone

Taste: Hoppy kick with a malt finish; slight hints of sweet smokiness

Mouthfeel: Bitter up front with little carbonation and a lingering finish

Drinkability: Heavy and robust; works as a stand alone

Pours a hazy bottle conditioned amber color with s nice two fingered cream colored head falls slowly to ringed scum. Some decent lace left behind not gobs but enough to coat the glass well.

Aroma is nice hops grapefruit dominates with pine needles sprinkled on top for good measure. Nice to smell a double IPA from Sam Adams why on earth this isn't in there regular line up, seems like a crime. Ah just dumped sediment that's where my earthy notes are coming from.

Taste is oh yeah hops nice bitter west coast hops, grapefruit rinds pine resins even touches of earthy guess they didn't wash the pine needles. There is malt in this one but it keeps getting kicked down by the hops. Nothing extra special going on by it is very tasty a solid I2PA only thing special is its Sam Adams.

Mouthfeel is big medium carbonation is just enough to enhance the hops.

Drinkability is good very enjoyable, would buy this on regular basis if I could. Very solid I2PA easy drinking nice no real alcohol noted.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

Deep clear amber color with a full cream colored head. Tons of foam stuck all over the glass. The first glass had a ton of sediment in it and when I looked at the second bottle I could see it at the bottom. The second bottle I poured more carefully and left about an inch in the bottle and only a little sediment made it in. Otherwise a great looking beer.

The aroma is very bright and intense - I think there might be some hops in there! Lots of pine needles and grapefruit and I even thought I smelled peppermint for a second. Underneath all that I do pick up quite a bit of malt.

As with the aroma, very intense pine, grapefruit and bitter hops up front. This is followed by a complex mix of woody and malty flavors with a bitter finish.

A little chewy and full bodied with sharp carbonation and peppery hot mouthfeel. Finishes very dry.

This was my first DIPA and was actually pleasantly surprised. Not sure I could drink more than a couple in a row because of the intensity, but it's quite a bit better as it warms up. I would drink this again were it to be a regular.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

I'm going to start by saying this is the best Sam Adams I've ever had.

Finally broke down and bought the LongShot 6pk after I found it for $5.99. I had heard this beer was good, but also you only get 2...and something about a cranberry wit...

Bottle has a "enjoy by" date of 9/09.

This beer smells and looks great. Piney and citrusy and looks a burnt orange with lots of suspended particles. Looks the part...

I had thought it wasn't in the fridge long enough, probably about 50 degrees, but wow, this tastes fantastic. This is a solid DIPA. This is 9.6%? Could have fooled me. I would compare this beer to a Southern Tier Unearthly.

Put it this way, what would you pay for a bomber of a solid DIPA? I basically paid $5.99 for 24oz and it was WELL worth it. Highly recommended. Too bad you can't get it in a sixer by itself, I could drink quite a few of these babies!

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance - Cloudy orange topped by a thin lacing. A lot of yeast suspended in the beer.

Smell - I could smell the hops from the bottle from about a foot away! Pine, lemon, tangerine, apple, alcohol, and caramel. Smells delicious.

Taste - Pretty much the same as the smell, only with a lot of bitterness, of course. A sharp hop bite upfront. It's got some Cascade hops, but that's not the dominant type. Centennial, maybe? Now I wish I'd taken notes at the one hop tasting I've been to.

Mouthfeel - Medium-thick and medium-low carbonation.

Drinkability - It's a DIPA. It's not supposed to be drinkable.

Notes - It's generally not my favorite style, but this is a good one. A little sweeter than I prefer, but it's refreshing to have an IPA that's not Cascade dominant. I also dig that beautiful orange color.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Bottle shared by daryk77 - thanks!

Pours a bright copper color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of citrus and pine hops with good amounts of sweet caramel malts.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Smooth caramel malt flavors up front are quickly joined by solid citrus flavors - mostly grapefruit - with hints of earthy pine. As it warms it gets slightly boozy but the alcohol is hidden pretty well. Ending is moderately bitter.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a solid thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall this was a solid IPA and one I'd like to try again. Nice job by McDole.

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance - Pours a nice hazy, amber, dark orange color. About two fingers of cream colored fluffy head that lasts for a while then gives way to decent lacing.

Smell - Lots of citrus and hops. No real malty smell here - can also smell earthy, grassy notes.

Taste - A very big hoppy presence in the first part of the sip which gives way to the malt trying to fight in, and ends with a relatively dry finish. Somewhat bitter tasting rather than "hoppy" now that I have drank a bit more.

Mouthfeel - Actually, much more thick and chewy than I would have imagined. Full-bodied with medium carbonation and one can taste the hop oils. Pretty smooth overall.

Drinkability - Overall, quite drinkable, though there are better choices of DIPA's around the area that I would choose over this (Hop Rod & Pliny). However, it does hide the alcohol pretty well, tastes pretty darn good, and I know I would, despite my thinking otherwise right now, pick up a six pack of this every now and then if it was offered from SA for purchase by itself.

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: The body has a hazy appearance and a nice orange amber color. Its head is bright white, tall and slow fading. It eventually settles down to just a thin ring of lace and each sip is marked by a ring of lace on the glass.

Smell: The aroma has a big powerful hit of pine and resiny hops in the nose.

Taste/Mouth: Its flavor is dominated by a powerful and intense hop presence over sweet boozy and roasted malt notes. There are notes of pine, resin, citrus and some floral hops throughout with plenty of bitterness that hangs onto the palate well into and after the finish. The texture is thick, full bodied and slick with light carbonation.

Notes: Overall its hop complexity becomes very one dimensional after half way though the bottle.

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

Nice golden-orange body with a frothy head. A beautiful beer.

Nose is sweet and citrusy. A serious dose of pininess too. Very interesting.

Flavor is happily unbalanced toward hops. Candied grapefruit with a pine finish. The ABV is somewhat noticeable, but in a generally good way. I really like this beer.

Mouthfeel is toothstripping in a nice way.

Drinkability is very good. This is deceptively light for nearly 10%.

Reminds me a bit of Pliny and a bit of Stone 10th. Probably not as good as either, but still a solid DIPA. I'm really glad I tried it, but why was I subjected to that awful Cranberry Wit in the mixed sixer. <shudder> Please sell this stuff on it's own.

4.59/5  rDev +18.3%

A - Opaque, molasses red-brown. Medium head, low retention. Moderate spots of lacing.

S - Sweet hops, floral and fruity. Delicious. Like candied grapefruit and other fruits.

T - Bready, piney, fruity... almost like mead. Bitter, but not a straight-up bitterness. Great balance.

M - Great mouthfeel. Well-rounded and smooth.

D - Catches up to you fast. Hoppy and strong, but I could still easily drink another. Reading the label, and seeing that each barrel was brewed with over six pounds of hops, I kind of expected a lip-pucking, bitter experience. Man, this brew far surpassed my expectations.

3.36/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a cloudy orange color, with an off white, slightly yellow tinted head. the head fades slowly, leaving a nice lacing.

This beer smells mostly of grapefruit. I can detect some pine also. I can smell a slight sweet malty backbone.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Pine and grapefruit. I can taste the alcohol in this one.

This beer is full bodied. It is pretty syrupy. It leaves a piney aftertaste. The alcohol wamrs the throat on the way down.

This beer would not make the best session beer. It is too high in alcohol, and the strong syrupy flavor would be cloying quickly.

Overall: This beer is ok. It is nothing spectacular. If this is all it takes to win the Longshot, I may have a chance. Decent beer though.

3.27/5  rDev -15.7%

opaque and cloudy, minimal head, no lacing. the smell is quite nice with hints of booze and floral and citrus notes. damn there are some hops in this one. taste really falters, its a hot mess. its boozy, with a perfume finish. there is an astringency in this beer. mouthfeel is kind of syrupy, with low levels of carbonation. wish i could have tried the samples of the beer before they made it in production. drinkability suffers from the booziness and perfume finish. overall, a massive disappointment.

LongShot Double IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)